Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cars or the planet? What would you choose?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,341 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

This is some laugh, why dont we return to Medieval ways of doing things altogether?

Want to save the planet? Stop **** and popping out kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

The planet will be fine my friend, it will sh1t us out and power on for millions of years.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Yeah because what would the scientists know with their data and evidence when compared to people who formed their theories via Facebook or some other craphole?

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

Who said anything about Facebook, i'm not even on it buddy. All this "save the planet" nonsense is arrogant, the planet may be damaged but it won't be terminal. Save the human race is more appropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,084 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

The average temperature of the Earth at the moment is about 16°C. We are currently in an inter-glacial period in a 3 million year old ice age. The planet is abnormally cold. It's 'usually' a lot warmer; around 22-23°C average global temperature. Ice caps at the poles are not planetary normal. Most of the time there haven't been any.

We are being sold a story - mainly by the BBC apparatchiks - that we face catastrophic global extinction if temperatures increase a piddling 1.5C, when 'normal' is 6-7°C warmer.

The other crock of dung we are being sold, is that atmospheric CO2 levels are at an all time high. This is a blatant lie, as the current CO2 levels are nearer to being at an all time low. 'Usually' the atmospheric CO2 levels are far higher than at present.

Almost all life on Earth is dependent on photosynthesis, which is at it's optimum at 25 - 30°C. At 22°C with lot's more CO2 in the atmosphere, plant life on the planet thrives, and pretty much goes berserk. If plants can live in an environment, so can humans.

The very reason we have fossil fuel deposits is because life on Earth thrives astonishingly when the planet is warmer and has more CO2 in the atmosphere.

All this comes from scientists who do know, though not the climate mongers who like to bend the truth. They know that we humans thrived during the Roman and medieval warm periods and that times were really good for us then, but they try to bury this truth and pretend they never happened.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Me. Earlier*.

But jesting aside... We need to massively reduce our consumption levels. Forget climate change for a moment, but what's undeniable is that we're doing serious damage to the natural environment and damage I can see even within my lifetime(as a flyfishing type since my early childhood, there are artificial flies I don't use any more, because the naturals they mimic are nowhere to be seen any more). While we've made big steps as far as recycling, at least on the surface, enough to make us feel better when we put out our green bins anyway, we're comsuming so much more than any time in history. That's undeniable too.

On the car front, I drive an old car, coming up on 22 years old as we speak. So I'm kinda doing my bit for sustainablity. If more car companies kept a stock of spares in play that would be great, but that doesn't suit the bottom line(though some are starting to. Mercedes for one. You can get parts for every car they ever made. At a price. In Japan Mazda will rebuild your 90's MX5 from the ground up). Anyway it rolled off the line in December 1998. Since then over half of all plastics ever made since their invention have been produced. That is, if you'll pardon my French, fúcking insane.

And we're being bullshítted all the time to make us all think we're doing our bit. Buy your new phone and it'll be full of all sorts of stuff, plastics to the fore, and pretty much bugger all of it will, or even can be recycled, and what can will be in a once off downgraded form. Those recycling symbols you see on plastics? They were dreamt up by the plastic manufacturers to get ahead of the game and regulations.

On cars again: a 1920's Bentley is significantly more recyclable and less damaging to the environment than a new Tesla. I'm not singling out Tesla either. That goes for any new car you buy. The Bentley is made of steel and copper and rubber and glass and leather and wood. All recyclable and if it's left and rots into the ground a lot less damaging. A Tesla? Eh...nope.

Oh and you know that new model year for cars thing? When cars were first available to the ordinary man and woman on the street they were seen as a very long term purchase and enterprise. When advertising the Model T, Henry Ford said it "was the only car you will ever need". Until "everyone" bought one and sales dropped. Then other brands and Ford saw the need to make them a throwaway item. By the 1950's the US car turnover was around 5 years. The head of Chevrolet IIRC boasted that he could get it down to one year. You know the way cars rust? The Model T was made from vanadium steel. It doesn't rust. You can dig a Model T out of a swamp after 60 years, wipe the surface down and the panels will be good to go for the most part.

And that's before we get to the ability to repair all the new dopamine hits for dopes we all surround ourselves with. Your phone stops working? fúck it in the bin. Buy a new one. Repairing them is a purgatory. If you can get the parts. Same for your other IT gear. Apple led the way there and others have followed. You don't need no stinking upgrades and we've removed the options anyway, buy the latest thing! Household appliances aren't much better. Oh sure, we'll give you an "extended warranty" on your washing machine, but when it kicks the bucket in three or four years time it'll be "cheaper and easier" to buy a new one. Oh and we'll even take back the old one in exchange. Straight to the landfill.

That's how it's going and is today folks. We're all too brief (increasingly)renters of stuff between factory and landfill. Cars are a problem, but IMHO they're the tip of the fúcking iceberg.

*and yep I do heel and toe when downshifting. Not because of any skill or racing stuff, but because the Da(tm) taught me to drive and he learned on a 1930's car with no synchros, which was the fashion in them days. One of the reasons I failed my first driving test because the tester quite reasonably enquired of me: "WTF are you doing!!". In a dual control Starlet.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

EVs are not more polluting, proven many many many times and renewable electricity in Ireland at night is over 60% and rising each year...oil on the other hand is 0%

Ten times more people in Ireland are killed by air pollution than road traffic accidents. Why wouldn't you want to improve air quality in your local area while saving thousands in running costs and the pleasure of driving a faster, quieter cleaner car?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,461 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

No way would I share some econobox with anyone else. I'm living way out the countryside and need MY OWN car.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,484 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Where are people going to be driving these cars if there's no planet? (Assuming the choice is one or the other, of course)

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

What's this no planet nonsense? The planet isn't going to die beacause of a mild increase in temperature. It's been a lot, lot hotter in the past and life thrived. So much life that a tiny fraction of it gave us all the fossil fuels we have been using.

People should be a lot more concerned about the planet getting colder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,484 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Ask the OP! - I was just questioning the logic of choosing cars if it had to be a straightoward choice.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

You are aware that it's the Greens and EPA who are to blame for all those deaths from that Air pollution, if it's real ,and not more back of the envelope epidemiological hokum, of course?

Where did you get this 60% of night time electricity from renewables? Eir grid said 2020 renewables generation was 40%. Currently it's only 26%.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

People are naturally biased in favour of private vehicle ownership and any 'carless' future scenario would be a lowering of living standards, including a 'shared electric cab' with no owner - which is what environmentalists now seriously propose.

Like open offices or 'co-living arrangements', being pushed together with a load of strangers in a space owned by others is something most people would avoid if they could.

Reverting to horse-drawn vehicles would be a turning black of the clock to 19th century living standards in a way that would be obvious and undeniable and a little absurd, which is why it annoys environmentalists.

Rich and politically connected people, such as TDs, will be given exceptions to drive motorised cars just as they give themselves exceptions to go maskless and hug one another in public.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Would like to see a proper breakdown of these air pollution deaths because I suspect smoking would play a large part in them,

• Registered Users Posts: 14,303 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

What is the point in even trying these discussions on boards any more? Flat earthers and folks who think the irish green party are the root cause of evil and all their personal problems.

There wont be a happy ending if we continue to live and consume as we do, things need to change globally, think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,683 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Covid really opened my eyes to the actual seriousness of the situation we are in. Way too many people at all levels in society who don't give a fcuk about whether or not others might be at risk or indeed are suffering right now, not to mind in the future.

They unwillingness to accept scientific direction or evidence even when presented with accompanying pictures and videos of hospitals as literally millions of people dying has been very telling.

And when it comes to the environment, it's way easier to absolve oneself from responsibility. And the scope of the problem here is so much greater, every facet of society and the all powerful 'economy' is part of the problem because it is fueled by increasing engagement, production, sales, use etc etc etc.

And people saying it's just a Green attack and wanting to lower living standards by suggesting not everyone has a car. Do people seriously think we should plan for a future where everyone has their own car, even as the population increases? And we should keep building all the roads and infrastructure to support this indefinitely? Surely even people in Rural Ireland realise this is just not sustainable?

I don't own a car but would like the use of one over Xmas holidays. I may be able to borrow one for a bit but not guaranteed. Renting a car is stupid expensive for a few days and there are few other options. Some kind of car sharing scheme like Dublin Bikes would be ideal for people like me who need to use one now and again infrequently.

@Thelonious Monk 'And people saying it's just a Green attack and wanting to lower living standards by suggesting not everyone has a car'

It's an objective fact that replacing personal car ownership with shared, unowned vehicles would be a massive lowering of living standards.

It's an utterly insipid vision of the future and the only selling point is to say it's inevitable, unavoidable etc., etc.

So the Greens have no solution bar dismantling people's way of life and saying 'Sorry, we've no other choice and no new ideas'

Basically green foot-soldiers like yourself will soon be reduced to trying to convince people that shared vehicles are 'a good thing' ("why wouldn't you want to ride with friends?" etc.)

@Tell me how

Quoted Tell me how by accident sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 14,093 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Cars. Every time. Mainly because I've no intention of having kids so my line dies with me, so I don't have future children to leave the world in crap to. Just other peoples children, and they're not my problem.

Seriously though, Ireland was ranked 95th out of 115 countries on this list from mid-2021. https://www.numbeo.com/pollution/rankings_by_country.jsp

As someone said earlier, me changing to an electric car (can't afford one, and it's not greener to charge) won't make a blind bit of difference in a country that produces less pollution than 94 of 115 countries. Get ta feck. Proper public transport is the only way, and change city centres to public transport only and create park and rides for every city. I'll continue to live in the country, so public transport and electric cars are useless to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,504 ✭✭✭Markcheese

It's called "go car" I'm pretty sure they're in Dublin - I know they're in Cork -

Different vehicles at different locations - you book it and collect your ,city car or van or whatever ,

You have to register obviously ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

If car ownership is your barometer of living standards well then newsflash: we need to lower our living standards. I understand your brain can't comprehend this but there's no way we can keep the rate of car ownership and usage going as it is. You better bolt your car to your driveway because Eamon and the Greens will be cycling from South Dublin to take it from you any day now, be afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Irish Green party are the leftovers of the RCC dressed by SVP

• Registered Users Posts: 16,341 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

The "do as we say, not as we do" crowd for a new generation.

Advertisement