Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Alternative News Channel "GB News" chaired by Andrew Neil launching - read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,834 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

GB doesn't present both sides though. I don't think they would even claim that they do.

As for BBC how left they are depends on how right you are. To me BBC are pretty centre ground and certainly not left wing

Last week, Nigel Farage was having a civil and honest conversation with Kevin Maguire - and it was exactly the kind of conversation that should happen between Left and Right; always remaining civil and respectful for the opposing view / person.

No needless insults or abuse, just an honest exchange of ideas.

And it's not just this exchange, either; this is the kind of conversation that the channel tries to support.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Glock17

The same BBC that didnt see the Brexit vote coming?

The BBC allows certain viewpoints and not others. From the top of my head, some things the BBC doesnt discuss:

1. The NHS isnt actually that good. It should really be massively reformed.

2. Mass immigration has held down wages.

3. Persecution of white South African farmers etc.

When you compare the output of the BBC to other national broadcasters it is obvious they have an agenda...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,569 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

GB News is one of the few media outlets that actively went out of its way to make sure people knew they were not aiming to 'both sides' anything.

As for the BBC, you're probably doing something right when you are being accused of both sides of being biased.

I have found Laura Keunnsberg to be shamefully in step with Conservative positions over the last 4 years or so and I do feel that across the Board they have not put those responsible for Brexit under examination to the degree that they should have but I still think that they as an institution do not set out to push an agenda and where it happens it is the failing of individuals.

GB News are nowhere near that level of objectivity.

Big difference between being biased as a channel - terms of politics and angle - but still open to supporting debate with the other side.

Both are mutually exclusive aims, and GB News is attempting to do both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,834 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

3. Persecution of white South African farmers etc.

Thats brilliant. Ya you really see that all over the media outside the BBC.

As I said how left/right GBnews or BBC is is about how left/right you are and I have a feeling youre fairly far right

Are you saying BBC News hasn't supported debate with the other side? Farage has still probably been on there more times than he has been on GB Nws.

But at least you're admitting GB News is indeed biased in not just it's politics, but the angle in which it presents news.

I remember watching a BBC programme about the housing crisis in the UK. It never once mentioned the impact that hundreds of thousands of migrants arriving each year had on the housing crisis.....

Do you not think if the If the BBC was impartial it would discuss the negatives of immigration etc?

The BBC has certain agendas, pushing mass immigration is one of them.

You might be interested in this article. Link.

On Radio 4’s World at One on 19th February, Iain Duncan Smith – like the NF, BNP and UKIP before him – blamed immigrants for the housing crisis. As housing academics, we wish to point out that there is no evidence for this assertion. Far from creating the housing crisis, immigrants are much more likely to be its victims, often living in sub-standard, over-crowded, private-rented accommodation.

A - The claim that immigrants were part of the problem in relation to housing was made on a BBC show.

B - Academics researching the housing crisis don't think that immigrants are the cause of it.

There is no evidence the BBC are pushing mass immigration.

Your post basically makes the point that I'm making... in that the BBC are biased....

In the UK we have net immigration of about 300,000 people a year. How many houses do we need to house them? Probably about 100,000? Ie we need the best part of 300 houses every single day just for immigrants.

If the BBC was honest they would say immigration is a fairly major cause of the housing crisis in the UK.

I'm not saying that immigration is a good or a bad thing. I'm just saying an impartial broadcaster would discuss the positives and negatives of immigration....

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,141 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

The topic is GB News. Not the BBC, not immigration

Anne Diamond is the newest recruit to GB News!

She'll be co-hosting the breakfast show at weekends with the former Sky News presenter, Stephen Dixon. Eamon Holmes and Isabel Webster will be hosting the same show weekdays from January 3.

There's also some interesting news on the radio front, too. So much for GB News "disappearing within 6-months of launch".

Chief executive officer Angelos Frangopoulos has said the changes were the first of many for 2022.

'With radio, we're turning traditional media on its head because everyone will be able to continue with the same channel whether they're at home, travelling, or at work,' he said.

'We set out to innovate and shake up news media and that's what we're doing, whether it's on mass reach television and DAB radio, online, apps, live on YouTube, or digital platforms, GB News will be wherever audiences want us to be.'

Having launched in June with seven daily shows, GB News has doubled its programming.

In the new year, journalist Anne Diamond will co-present weekend breakfast with Stephen Dixon, making her GB News debut on Dan Wootton's programme on Tuesday, it was announced.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

EDIT: Delete. Didn't see the warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,618 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Well at least by hiring Anne Diamond, they're giving the GB News audience what they want.

Someone from the 80's.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,415 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I don't know who that is.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 40,415 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

you're clearly not old enough. A breakfast tv presenter in the 80's and early 90's.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

From Wikipedia:

On 28 March 2008, in an article for the Daily Mail tabloid newspaper, Anne Diamond contributed to an article concerning violence in video games where she is quoted as saying that the game Resident Evil 4 "shouldn't be allowed to be sold, even to adults".

What is it with these morons and their desperate need to control other people?

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

So GB News isnt very good because it is employing an experienced TV presenter with decades of experience?

Thanks for the well reasoned argument. It has really made me rethink my opinion on GB News.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,718 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Most of her experience is from decades ago....she isn't exactly in demand...

• Advertisement

So what?

In a democratic system the role of the media is really important. They are meant to ask the Government hard questions and act as an unofficial Opposition.

Does anyone here think the media are fulfilling that duty? Does anyone think the media ask politicians any hard questions?

From what I've seen of GB News they are more likely to be a bit of a pain in the a4rse to politicians. Maybe, just maybe that's a good thing?

Maybe the age of a TV presenter is less important than if she is good at her job?

PS merry christmas everyone! Only two days until I'm ripping my presents open in front of the Christmas tree.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 richierichwithouttherich

I must say GB news is growing on me, sky news was primary TV source of news but I tend to find myself flicking down to GB news more often and it's slowly becoming my primary tv news channel.

With several big names joining it could take off and would it be any suprise with left wing rehtoric as of late? telling us what to do and what to feel and when to do it and feel it.

GB news thankfully didn't go as far right as Fox news and I'm quite surprised at how moderate is actually is.

It’s not moderate at all. Just because it isn’t Fox doesn’t make it ‘moderate’.

We’ve heard it will ‘take off’ for ages now, and all they’ve done is lost their advertising revenue.

It’s a piss poor excuse of a ‘news’ channel as well which is watched by people who can’t stand ‘biased’ media when in reality they want their own echo chamber.

GB News doesn't exist to question the government, it exists to protect it from criticism via promoting nonsense opinions along with the usual xenophobia and other conspiracy theories.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 richierichwithouttherich

You say "we've heard heard it will take off for ages now" but the channel only launched in June 2021 so I guess we have very different opinions on what the word 'ages' means?

It was an extremely difficult year for any news channel never mind one just starting up.

From a recent Forbes article:

Nielsen data for the three networks reveals that for the 12-month period that ended in October 2021, ratings for MSNBC and Fox were down 56 percent and 53 percent, respectively. But CNN’s decline was the most precipitous, with ratings down 73 percent during that period.

GB news in its infancy are doing quite well when compared to others.

I think the problem a lot of people here have with GB News is that it presents a viewpoint that people disagree with. However the viewpoint they present is fairly popular with the average Brit....

Tbh, it's like the Daily Mail of TV broadcasters.... and tbh that's not a bad thing or a criticism.....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,711 ✭✭✭✭banie01

The daily mail sells papers, provides news and despite its bias, at times manages to break stories of import and public interest.

It's stance on copyright and privacy law in particular are feeding into Raab's proposed changes in that area. Not that I agree with their bias, but I can appreciate and there are still basic journalistic competences there, despite their opinion and editorial stance.

GBnews isn't a news outlet and despite its efforts is barely garnering an audience.

That needs to be appreciated and understood in any comparison with it's supposed competition. There is no credible journalistic output and the opinion presented is usually "patriotic" and the "heavy hitters" they have hired are all dinosaurs.

Credibility matters, GBnews have none. Posters such as EH and his proxies here have cloaked themselves in a belief that there is some unheard majority, that GBnews represents? There isn't, and the numbers over the course of its life prove that

An interview with Trump, a media scoop that could honestly have been a world beater....

Turns out to be a sycophantic bout of arse licking and barely raised the profile of the channel.

Can you point to one single source of evidence where GB News has promoted xenophobia?

It's easy to make the claim, but some concrete evidence - and not some inference - would be appreciated.

How hilarious that you're looking for 'concrete evidence' when you can never provide a shred of it whenever you're asked to do the same thing.

• Advertisement

By what metric is it "popular with the average Brit"?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement