Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I would say New Year's and it is inevitable. It was about the 2nd of January when non essential retail was closed.

Government will soil themselves when cases reach 7-8000. The figures today seem quite late. Must be a high/low.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

• Registered Users Posts: 39,819 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Sorry yes it was the new year. I’m not normally a half glass empty person but in regards to the pandemic over the past nearly two years I’m just seeing the negative which I don’t like doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,586 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

It makes you wonder. It was the same at the start of the pandemic in Germany. German government didnt actually go to the RKI and asked what is this what do we do? They asked for models that support/justify restriction and lockdowns. Period. This is not a conspiracy theory or a wild claim. Those communications were leaked at the time. They can be found on google. Now you hear the same about SAGE.

All those emergency public health consultation bodies the governments have like nphet etc. Is their purpose to actually assess and investigate and recommend? Or are they just the science veneer for a course thats already been decided?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

There is a small line in today's RTE NPHET coverage which is ringing alarm bells for me.

Meanwhile, Dr Holohan said that the new restrictions are intended to protect against a significant increase in hospitalisations and the wider protection of public health.

Given the imminence of the Minimum Pricing legislation on Jan 4th,it is a clear indicator as to where this man is intent on leading the feckless Irish public.

I feel that any rational person reading the following would have some concerns as to what sort of Society and Human behaviour the current CMO actually wishes for Ireland.

Chief Medical Officer Dr Tony Holohan has said that the new restrictions beginning today will substantially cut the volume of total social contact across society if people follow "not just the letter but the spirit" of the guidelines.

So,this gentleman,after almost 2 years of this virus,continues to regard the abolution of "Social Contact" as something to aspire too.

This is the stuff of,at the very least,Mental Imbalance and should be causing a degree of concern amongst Politicians observing the current machinations of NPHET and the CMO.

It is beyond time to stand this man down from this position,or at least to have his reasoning publicly and directly questioned.

Something is VERY wrong here,both in Ireland and elsewhere....the leaders have become infected with some other form of virus.....and it is becoming ever clearer with each passing day ! 😮

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Advertisement

I think all of the original "what happens if we have a global pandemic" plans were chucked into the bin early doors. Only Sweden really kept to theirs.

The plans ultimately didn't account for politics. Can you be "The person who let all of those people die?". In March-April the term "herd immunity" was being linked to fascism. Boris Johnson was sticking to the plan and was getting hammered for it. I think even we had intentions but were politically under too much pressure to lockdown after the UK did.

I believe in the long run, we will have been proven wrong to approach it the way we did by prolonging the pain. Cancer detections were down 13% last year. We all know cancer didn't just take a year off. 13% is around 5000 people. That's for 2020, it will be like that for 2021 and 2022. That's 15,000 people getting late diagnosis and that's just cancer. There are many other illnesses going untreated/undetected. The economic ruin. Depression. People who have come down with Covid-Hysteria and won't leave their homes.

If we went and did absolutely nothing from March 2020. There would have been maybe 10,000 deaths instead of 5,000. Maybe it would triple to 15,000. The restrictions trade off, still wouldnt have matched the numbers of lives it has ruined.

But in fairness to Government, if you stick to a plan. You have the media publishing death numbers every day. The Opposition and media are call you murderers. Saying "restrictions will ruin more lives than the deaths" is a tough sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭B2021M

This is it in a nutshell. The media effectively run things...if government pursues a policy they don't like they publish negative stuff about it from morning till night until the position is not tenable.

This extends far beyond Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Corby Trouser Press

Actually surprising that they have allowed "Midnight Mass" to go ahead.

Restrictions on religious ceremonies in this country were a total outlier in a European context in 2021.

Pretty much the only place in Europe you couldn't attend a church service on Easter Sunday.

The Church as an institution is utterly despised by the media/political clique and has been for a few decades now... the State wants it's assets and they want them ASAP and COVID has been a useful tool to cut off it's links to society and financial wellbeing.

Amazing that some people still think the Catholic Church holds any sway over Official Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Tony on again ! He's becoming quite the media star all of a sudden, just interviewed live on virgin media news.

Leo was also in a piece earlier mumbling something sincere, meaningful, empathetic, basically, Gibberish 🙄 he was at an IDA event gloating at the amount of Jobs created in 2021 whilst 1000's loosing their jobs in hospitality sector, The sickening irony of it .

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,064 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Why would I not believe that, rather than believe that the often personal abuse being rained down on Tony Holohan is based on nothing other than vague theories that he has a psychological hold on this government where nothing other than his say so counts ?

He is chairman of NPHET and for that theory to hold any water it would mean he also holds some sort of psychological hold over the rest of the boars as well, seeing as the recommendations to Government come from the board of NPHET and not from him personally. There are another 31 members on that board and none of them strike me as the shy wallflower type that just sit there governed by the principle of una duce, una voce.

Is it not more conceivable that Ronan Glynn was on a solo run because he did not agree with the recommendations of the board, rather than Tony Holohan having some undefined control over a board of 31 other experts in their fields where nothing other than his say so counts when it comes to the recommendations to Government.

I get where some are frustrated and even annoyed with Government decisions, but the **** show we experienced at the beginning of this year was not down to Tony Holohan or NPHET. The Government managed to do that all on their own. This often childish name calling and "blame Tony Holohan for everything" are as far fetched as blaming Chris Whitty for decision by the British Government regarding England or even Jaap van Dissel in the Netherlands for restrictions recently brought in that are much harsher than here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,238 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

I'm surprised this hasn't been given more air time.

It's essentially a back of a fag packet calculation by SAGE given to Boris and then he brings in restriction measures.

I am assuming this is the same with NPHET and all previous 'forecast' models are essentially the same, well scenarios not models.

"This is scenario a with omicron and if we don't do anything, we'll see x cases. You need to bring in restrictions because this is a possible scenario?" How is this science and how is it not being questioned?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,697 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

It doesnt seem to suit the narrative to give it air time would seem to be the answer.

Fear sells.

Too many vested interests in the media and anyone who questions the science is more often than not labelled a conspiracy theorist.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,267 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I'd say No just to make you feel better. St Stephen's Day is only six days away and our cases are still in that 4K-5K range. Denmark seems to have hit a fairly high level of about 10K daily but with few extra hospitalisations so far. It's that which will decide what happens to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭brickster69

Don't forget they are doing 8 times more PCR tests a day with the same population.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

True but they should still give us an indication of what we might expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

NPHET were supposed to be disbanded (lol) back in October. How did the gigantic ego respond to that? He took 2 weeks leave coming back I think the same day? That was absolutely planned by him as a fcuk you to the government. If you don’t see that it’s because you REFUSE to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Spiderman0081

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭72sheep

Medley has really messed up here but looking at his background it is easy to see how he became chair of the Sage modelling committee - 461 pubs on researchgate relating to modelling viruses etc. Now over on the NPHET side of things we have Philip Nolan who has less than 30 pubs and none are related to modelling. His undergrad is medicine, which he only practiced briefly before switching to research where seems he practised very much at his leisure. What's more he's been Pres of Maynooth for last 10 years which is really a figurehead role. It's not clear how he could have been the best and brightest to lead our fight against Covid.

Serious question - does Snake Oil defer to a named modelling expert under questioning by the press or are we expected to believe he's leading construction of these models himself?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,442 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Reading that they fear half of people aren’t isolating because they are ignoring symptoms…might it be? That the symptoms are just not that bad that they are not worth worrying about?

Sniffy nose? Stay home. Headache? 10 days isolated. Sore throat? Get to the hospital.

If those who are getting hospitalised are not vaccinated, then so be it. Sacrificing so much for a bunch of chimps isn’t worth it and won’t work long term.

How long will it take for us to learn this?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,628 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Tony now pointing the blame on those 16 - 34. Any group that hasn't been blamed yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭tomgrange1978

next Year the government needs to reward young people whose lives have been truly fucked up by the restrictions by announcing a promise to offer every irish national who are not homeowners a social home by 2035.

funds to be raised by increased taxation on wealth worth over 500k to include current homes

time to pay back the youth who have given up so much to protect the most vulnerable who are the elderly

time for those who were protected to give back the young

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭francogarbanzo

I appreciate the offer, but how about just leave people alone again?

They'll be rewarded with an "Outdoor Summer", so long as they've had their booster and Tony Holohan isnt driving around in the vacinity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭celt262

Where is he mouthing off now I though he was gagged?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Ah thats a trip down memory lane remember he got south william street shut down and all the hassle it caused after, with 1 tweet

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭tomgrange1978

the young people have put their education, work prospects and social life on hold for 2 years to protect the most vulnerable, fair play to them

the least the elderly can do is hand over their assets through tax to help young people have a home

I think it’s a great idea

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭DLink

It's not just the young who have had their lives fucked up, what about the rest of us who had to suffer these restrictions as well?

I'm not old enough to need protecting, and I'm not young enough to be screwed over, but I still pay tax...

Why should my tax money be used to buy a house for someone who suffered under the same restrictions as me?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭francogarbanzo

Advertisement