Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flickering Lights since neighbour reconnected

Options
  • 17-12-2021 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭

Hi All,

A few days ago a neighbouring property (business) had their electricity reconnected by the ESB after being out for over a year.

The same day my neighbour was reconnected my llights have been flickering. Any ideas as to what is going on? not all the lights are flickering but most are. the only ones that aren't are the living space on ground floor. however the extractor fan light in the kitchen, along with all upstairs are flickering. What is the protocol here?

Is this an ESB issue or do I need an electrician?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Renno123

Thanks. That's what I am wondering too. Excuse my ignorance but do I contact ESB directly about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭meercat

I’d get your own rec to look at this first. Might just be a coincidence.

thanks all. i will contact an electrician Monday

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

• Registered Users Posts: 13,624 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

FWIW, had flickering lights issues with LED lights. Sparks told us he'd encountered this with cheap import LED's that lack proper inline resistors. Not sure this matters in your case.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

If the business are running something like a welder, or similar device that is regularly stopping and starting, and you are on the same phase, then you could well be getting surges in voltage, or even a compressor or similar (freezer or air conditioning) could be causing similar situation, depending on the surge current that is being taken from the supply.

Sorting it could be a challenge, the first step will be to determine is they are using a device or system that could be causing surge loading, and it may well then mean involving the supplier, depending on what's actually happening. A traditional paper roll voltage recording monitor is unlikely to be able to monitor such short term spikes in supply, they're usually only good for finding voltage drop issues due to overloading of an area.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 23,558 ✭✭✭✭ted1

id say it’s got a three phase supply, they are running either a load with a big inrush.

ask them if it’s a single phase or 3 phase device. If single phase see if they can move it on to another phase.

Hi all,

ESB have been out twice and still hasn't been resolved. Any other advise? They are stumped.

My electrician had been out originally and measured voltage and checked wires. All seemed fine on my end. Any time the business opens my lights start flickering.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

I would assume you need a voltage recorder fitted and monitor supply quality

Esbn used to fit them anyway

A snapshot of readings doesn't always tell you much

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

• Advertisement
Advertisement