Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boosters

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭redt0m

Sorry if this has been answered before, I don't know where to start looking. Over 50, double vaxxed with Moderna, got second shot at end of June. End of December is 5 months from 2nd shot so wondering about the booster now. I got notified of an appointment by text for the 2 shots earlier in the year, will that happen again or am I supposed to go about organising a booster from scratch myself? Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 30,582 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

You're already clear of the 5 months from end of June? You're supposed to get an appointment but you'll probably be quicker going to a walk in center or see if your local GP or pharmacy are doing jabs.

Keep an eye on the Twitter HSELive feed for the queue times for walk ins.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,392 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Does anyone know if they are strict with the age limit - in my late 30's and wondering should I chance a walk in clinic (I live near one)....

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭redt0m

Yeah, sorry, I'm already over the 5 months, mixed June and July up.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Wait your turn , they are trying to get through the age groups without clogging up the centres

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,392 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

That's a fair point, thanks! My local centre doesn't seem to be too busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

Got the Moderna booster at the Cork walk in this morning (no queues), my first two jabs were Pfizer, with no side effects (apart from local tenderness around the injection site), my impression was mixing up the vaccines helped overall efficacy? I must confess I have stopped listening to all the noise so don't really know what is "best practice" currently.

Just checking in here to say it was quick and no need to wait 15 minutes afterwards (and they were handing out badges).

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭sp00k

I'm 30 and just received a text with an appointment for Thursday. Didn't sign up to anything and no underlying conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Well lots of experts are talking out of both sides of their mouth on Covid19...

SARS-CoVid-1 immunity still persists nearly 20 years on, and we used a lot of vaccine research from SARS-CoVid-1 to develop Covid19 vaccine...

Yet they say Covid19 is so different that natural immunity only lasts a short period...

Both of those things can very unlikely to be both correct

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭apache

Was supposed to go out and get my booster on Sunday but the thoughts of the queues wrecked my head and put me off. Aiming now for Wednesday instead.

I plan to be there early. Anyone know what the queues are like in Croke Park?

• Advertisement

An appointment means nothing it seems. Blip in the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

On being there early, I have heard the opposite from everyone. Everyone has the same idea of being there early to beat the crowds. Apparently queues thin out later in the day.

Ah that's shite. I'm worried that that's whats gonna happen to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Midnight Sundance

Was I fairy House today.i had an appointment and was in and back in my car in no time.

There were big queues but it looked like they were powering through them. I doubt most ppl had to wait in a queue for too long. This was later in the afternoon.

There might be something in that but I woulďn't take the risk. I read a few news articles reporting that so everyone will have the same idea of doing the opposite again.

More hopeful stories like this would be good. Am really dreading the thoughts of the queuing.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

Did you notice the poster said they were there in the late afternoon. I think if you go early, you’ll be queuing...

Change of tactic maybe....

• Registered Users Posts: 30,582 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Keep an eye on the hselive twitter feed... if you dont go first thing. They tweet waiting times and if the centre is full for the day

https://mobile.twitter.com/HSELive

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Would you believe I joined twitter just for this?! Having trouble finding my way around it but would be very interested in wait times of certain venues.

• Advertisement

In the meantime I tried booking with my pharmacy. I had to tick healthcare worker and underlying health problems before it would let me book it. This is a lie but I had to tick something in order to progress. The earliest available appointment was Jan 18.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Mango321

Park's Pharmacy, Lower Dorset St, are doing walk-ins tomorrow (and probably other days).

Queues of 15 or so.

'Tuesday from 10am-1pm and 3pm-5pm.

Photo ID and PPS number is required.

*Please double check your last vaccination date as a minimum 5 month gap is needed if you received Pfizer/Astrazeneca/Moderna and a minimum 3 month gap is needed if you received Janssen.'

https://www.facebook.com/Parks-Pharmacy-Dorset-Street-1231687036986510/

• Registered Users Posts: 32,978 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Why not go via GP? I got a text from mine they will take booster appointments for anyone over 18.

I am booked in weds.

Got Pfizer/BioNTech via the GP today. 3rd dose of same vaccine.

It’s possible that Moderna might have been more useful due to the mixing it up idea, but it seems to have very good booster outcome regardless.

as per last time, slightly sore arm, but that’s all.

I had two AZ jabs....seemingly booster will be moderna or Pfizer....anyone any idea which one likely to be most effective/lest side effects? Don't really fancy being run down at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

Went to greystones today at around 11am. From joining the back of the queue to sitting back in my car it was only 32 minutes. Not bad at all.

First two were Pfizer, booster was Moderna. Feeling pretty wrecked now (not helped by going out to play rugby), sore arm and slightly shivery…..pretty much how I felt after my second dose.

Well, while the results aren’t exactly comparable, Moderna is claiming to be more effective, but it’s all a bit theoretical - they’re both excellent.

Pfizer/BioNTech uses less mRNA per dose, but overall their results have been very good

You’re using it to boost after AstraZeneca, so either will give you strong protection - the mix and match approach is showing good results

As for which will feel better / worse the day or so after: that’s kinda down to how your immune system reacts.

Either mRNA vaccine might be less rough than AstraZeneca because there’s no viral vector involved, so you’ve one less step. It’s just directly decoded to display fake spike proteins.

Some people seem to react fairly strongly to the virus used to carry the instructions for the vaccine used by viral vector vaccines (AstraZeneca and J&J), so the mRNA jabs have some anecdotal evidence of being a bit easier, but it’s highly subjective.

Personally, I found the Sanofi traditional 4 strain flu vaccine way rougher than the Pfizer/BioNTech covid jab. I didn’t feel right for a few days after the flu jab and had a full fever and everything. The mRNA jab was a walk in the park in comparison, but I think I had a sorer arm for a few days. Nothing much but it felt like I had hit it on something.

Thank you so much for the really detailed response.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭purple hands

Wife and I got pfizer boosters at our GP yesterday. She's fine, I'm a bit sore and dopey this morning (what's new says she!). Details and PPS numbers were checked, but will we get any written/electronic confirmation of the booster?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

From what I gather, the EU cert will be updated early next year. You can ask for an updated cert here https://covidcertificateportal.gov.ie/en-US/update-cert/ and try and see if they add the information. I requested an updated cert when I got my booster a week ago and havent got a reply yet though.

Advertisement