Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Kia Niro EV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Jmsbohan

Just ordered my new Kia e niro today, I think I made the right choice, it seems to be the best EV out there for the price. How long have you waited for the home charger and what company did you use?

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭harderthanf

I've no idea how you guys are getting the range you're getting. I'm barley getting 320km on a full charge. 150km a day round trip - 85% motorway @120km/hr and the rest @80km back roads. If I switch off and heating the range will jump to 370ish but it's not realistic to drive with no heat on at this time of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

That's right for 85% motorway. My "plenty of motorway" is nowhere near 85% of total. That's 20kWh/100km which is good for that level of motorway munching.

14kWh/100km needed for 455km range so nobody* getting that with 85% motorway any time of year.

* motorway at 120. Ioniq and Model 3 excluded

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭chewed

I think I only waited around 3 weeks for mine. Went with EV Power and they did a great job. I got a Wallbox

That makes me nervous to hear, I ordered mine yesterday , I do 200km round trip 60% motorway @120km per hour and 40% at 100kmh 5 days a week night drive home so I'd defo need heating on, but as long as it gets me to and from work I'll be happy or am I cutting it tight??

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭championc

If you do 200km, then you are nowhere near his 320km, so there really isn't anything "tight" there.

And of course, do you really need to drive at 120kmph ? I'm sure someone has some numbers of the extra range per 100km if driving at 110 or 100 kmph

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

200 round trip will be no issue at all, you'll be landing home with 40-50% even in the depths of winter.

It's also nice to get into a preheated car in the morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Redlim

EV Database is a handy site for range info:

https://ev-database.org/car/1338/Kia-e-Niro-64-kWh

It gives "highway cold weather" range as 265km - this is based on minus 10°C. In worst case scenario in the depths of winter the range would easily cover your full commute but you'd need to charge up each night - not an issue unless you've a power cut! If you had access to charge at work it would give extra peace of mind. Also consider if you'd need much extra range for the evening after your work commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭sh81722

Congratulations for the order and you won't have any issues making it to Maynooth and back. Your usage will be pretty much an ideal value for money usage pattern for one of the best value of money EVs currently on the market.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Bif

What speed is their “highway” figure based on? Thanks.

I don't know tbh but would think it's quite close to our motorway limit of 120km/h as the figures look realistic. 120kph would also be a good average speed limit for them to use as some countries are 110km/h and others 130km/h.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭harderthanf

I would be very certain you will have zero problems with this range and speed with a toasty warm cabin.

If you've looking for some decent data on this take a look at the link below. I am sure it's cropped up here before but it was so useful to me when we went for the e-niro. We just ordered a second EV (a Leaf 40) for the short school runs etc., and it was very useful for that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭v10

Pretty much what my ID4 will do in that scenario in these temperatures, motorway speeds eat the battery

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭fitz213

Why only charge to 80%?

Also in the sat nav, I can't seem to put in an address for some reason??

Charging to 80% is often recommended for longevity of the battery as it's widely accepted that it's not great for the battery to sit at either very high or very low state of charge for long periods. This is less likely to be an issue with newer EVs with better battery management systems. The E-Niro has a buffer where there's a couple of extra kWh in the battery that's not used until some degradation has occurred - this also means that you'll not actually charge to 100% of the entire battery pack even though the display shows 100%. Another benefit is that the range of the car should be consistent for several years as this buffer gets incorporated. However, saying all that, if you need to charge to 100% each day then work away as it won't be sitting at a high state of charge for long.

In relation to the sat nav - there's a few different ways of searching, e.g. address, point of interest etc. so it might depend on what you're looking for. The UVO app for your phone is sometimes better at finding addresses and you can send it as a destination to the car - this works well so you could try that. Alternatively you could use Android Auto or Car Play maps by connecting your phone.

Post edited by chewed on

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Minifox

I was meant to be picking up my new e-niro today but there is some problem with registering them. Could take a few days to sort out, apparently.

Anyone else experiencing problems?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭eagerv

Could well be staffing problems, have spoken to two dealerships this morning. They have a lot of cars to get out and they say many staff out for obvious reasons. We were asked to wait until next week for our Ioniq 5 which arrived in a few weeks ago, which suits us better..

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭jimmy86

I was told that they would be registering cars on Tuesday, I would have reg number to sort insurance etc on Wednesday and could collect on Thursday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭ewj1978

My car salesman is out till Friday... No one else can help either.

Hi guys

Got the car and the reg number and now trying to get insurance!

Does anyone know which of the following options is the correct one to choose for the e-Niro sold in Ireland? I've already asked the dealer but he just sent me a screengrab from the Kia Ireland website and that doesn't match any of the options in the image below.

I'll have a look at my tax book, got mine in '20.

Most likely will be the first one, third or 4th

Second one is the small battery one.

Rest are UK models.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭jimmy86

I went with the first one myself. I'm with 123.ie and they had no car style SUV/Compact SUV. I gave them a call and they said to put it down as a 4x4.

Mines

"Niro E-Niro PE LR 5DR Auto" on the tax book (D.2)

I'm looking to possibly trade in my eNiro later this year. It's 211 (registered in March 21 and 16,000km on the clock), but wondering would I be better off trying to sell it privately, seeing as there seems to be a big demand lately. I'd love to get an EV6, but not sure if they'll be available for 222 models.

I was offered around €34k from one dealer against a trade in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭podge3

As some of us on here have guessed, it looks like the new e-Niro is just a glorified facelift. This vid seems to confirm the petrol engine for the hybrids is the same in the new model and assumes the EV battery & powertrain is carried over from the existing model also: https://youtu.be/wURGZEj9nSY

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Anyone had their GPS stop working before? I noticed yesterday that my location on the map was out about 20km. Looking in the settings, it’s not showing any satellites being received, just “searching”.

Is the GPS antenna the same shark fin as the radio uses?

Many thanks, Graememk, and Jimmy 86,

I went with the E-Niro 150KW PE option when insuring vehicle, but for the life of me I can't imagine what the 'PE' might mean. Google searching shows these letters are only used as trim description in Ireland. 'Paddy Express' perhaps.

Got a nice quote from Aviva in the end. As always with insurance quotes, I was shocked by the range in pricing. From €330 to over a grand with no discernible difference in cover.

Picking it up tomorrow morning... and I've been waiting on it for so long that I may not stop driving it till Sunday night!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 gazgaz22

Hi all.

Just found this forum...alot of great info thanks ...I'm waiting to collect my new 221 kia e.niro next week and I was wondering have it go full LED headlights apart from LED day time running lights .. my model is Kia E+Niro MY22 ME.

Much appreciated if someone can tell me

Gaz

Advertisement