Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you be taking a booster?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,875 ✭✭✭billyhead

Got my Pfizer booster earlier. Had the Pfizer vaccine in June @ July. No side effects so far. The whole process was very quick unlike the queueing and hanging around previously.

Great news,and interesting read that particular thread

Hospiteal bed occupancy falling,while an expectation of vented/icu still to peak,given sicker patients stay longer etc

Is this simply a case of deaths lagging similar to other waves,hopefully not......a 3% death rate off delta is horrendous,hopefully figures play out as hoped and the worst is behind us....i guess next few weeks will reveal all

• Registered Users Posts: 24,153 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Fingers crossed you say? What a policy.

Of course parents will want the vaccine for their children, by the hundreds of thousands!

By the time 99% of kids turn 5, they will already have received a dozen vaccines and boosters against Measles, Mumps Rubela, Hib, Meningitis B and C, Pneumonia, Diphtheria, Tetanus, Polio, Rotavirus and a partridge in a friggin pear tree!

Back in my day we also received the BCG against Tuberculosis, but guess what happened? Science almost eradicated it so it isn't even needed now!

Covid 19 vaccine is far less risky to kids than many of those I named above and yet it's a hill many gobshytes have chosen to die on. Just so dumb.

I'll be all boostered up by noon tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

A chicken Byriani and 2 beers later (takeout on a Monday!) and still all good. That was after some late night city centre shopping- the tyranny of women at Christmas!

Planning to vaccinate my cows with their IBR booster tomorrow morning. Since we started vaccinating 8 years ago we have had no issues with IBR. Go figure.

Get a good early morning start while the anti vaxxers are still cowering in their mammys box room.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,153 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Absolutely.

Yer lad from Il Divo, double vaccinated, got ill anyway, died.

Quite conceivably there may be 250 to 300,000 positive cases in the State at any one time.

Converting that into the documented ratios we've seen in hospital, that could be 1,500 cases as inpatients, and 3-400 needing intensive care. Current resources will barely cope with that, even if every other bit of health care is stood down. Barely.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

His broad? That's wonderful. I have this vision of a 1920s American slang renaissance in the antivax community.

"Hey sweetcheeks, would you be a dawl and pick me up some Ivermectin from the drugstaw?"

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭MarkHenderson

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

So? Is there a special Irish variant we should be concerned about now? Isn't very dangerous, but leaves you with a dopey head and empties your pockets.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭generic_throwaway

The data in South Africa does not necessarily translate to here. They have a much younger population, have much greater exposure to earlier variants (to their cost at the time) and various other unknown compounding factors. The variant may be the same, but the population getting it is entirely different.

Having said that, it's encouraging to hear that they are suffering less from this variant.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Ireland has well over 90% of adults fully vaccinated and has boosted a shedload recently, especially in the demographics that by a long margin are the most likely to get sick and die from this pox, SA has only around a third of adults vaccinated. If we do suffer more than SA questions need to be raised.

I strongly suspect we won't, but too many particularly online are wound up to the point of gleeful neuroticism over the "impending doooom!!" we're likely to face with each headline that comes across the newsdesk and every missive from the NPHET muppets. Christ knows how the same people are going to cope when this pox is just another winter bug going around.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,380 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Your post is a bit highly strung so I am reluctant to reply but 'far less risky', nice choice of words. I guess you have labelled me as anti-vax now 😉

Let's wait and see but I would expect <50% of parents with 5-11 year olds to take the Covid vaccine. I haven't met one yet.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Vaccinated30

Just an update, I have tested positive for covid. This was my preference to a booster. I have a runny nose. No headache, no scratchy throat, no cough, no temperature. I'm on day 3. I'm very high risk (originally cat 4 for vaccine)

Husband is fine.

Kids have no symptoms.

My opinion, get vaccinated to protect against severe disease, then get covid to gain immunity from the infection. Boosters perhaps are usefully for elderly people to avoid infection at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,232 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Do you plan on getting Covid a couple of times a year?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,380 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Yes the data looks very very good. I don't buy into the 'but thats South Africa' argument. When Delta was ripping through India, I dont recall people saying 'but thats India'.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

I get numerous colds a year, covid isn't novel to my immune system, either is any other cold and flu. If I caught the newest strain covid every 9 months forever I wouldn't care.

Are you going to take a vaccine for a strain that's no longer around, every couple of months?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,639 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Getting mine this afternoon..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭apache

I was checking the HSE website there....I can only see Croke Park administering vaccines in the afternoon/evening. So if I go tomorrow morning will it be a wasted trip?

What's the wait times like now? Hopefully I get it one way or the other tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,232 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Your same logic implies it's not novel to anyone's immune system the world over. It also implies you think they're the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭rameire

No Q at Swords the tweet says.

Nothing about Q at Croker, it doesn't open till after 12.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,517 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

HSE Twitter says no queue at the show centre Swords (Cloghran) at the moment, running until 11am, then again from 1240-4.

Croke Park starts at 1240 today, earlier than on the website. There's also clinics tomorrow afternoon and evening.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭apache

Ok, thanks for that. I'm not on twitter. Best leave it until the afternoon so.

It is not novel to anyone vaccinated or recovered. Have a look at any interviews from 2020, the main concern was it was novel and we didn't know how the individual immune system would react.

Vaccines were literally made to train our immune systems.

As for the comment, my logic implies I think they're the same thing, that is how you interpertated that comment.

In fact, I'm simply pointing out that just as I'm not worried about catching any cold, flu or respiratory virus throughout the year I'm not worried about catching covid again either.

I have never (prior to 2020) not visited a friend or relative who had a cold/chest infection/flu. I never thought twice about it. And that's exactly how I will be going on again now. If your double vaxxed and boosted and still afraid, this includes making comments of I don't want to catch it at all, I'm sorry but you need to seek professional help.

In springtime there's going to be a lot of people suffering with PTSD when omicron helps us reach the herd immunity that vaccines never did.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭ceegee

Your opinion is dangerously stupid. Hopefully people don't take it on board.

What is dangerously stupid about it. Do you not believe vaccines work. I do. I trust them 100%. They protect from severe illness and death. So what's dangerously stupid about catching a mild virus and obtaining immunity that the vaccines don't give.

If you don't believe the vaccines work, why are you getting a booster?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,517 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

They aren't 100% effective. Their protection against severe illness and death is still very good after 6 months but drops to about 70%. Getting vaccinated is a huge jump in protection, a booster is more of a marginal gain \ upgrade \ re-up.

So while your strategy means mild outcome for most - there's a percentage for which it will have severe outcomes, even among low risk cohorts. More so than will get side effects from a booster vaccine, which restores your protection to 90%. It's a numbers game.

You can't pass on the vaccine, you can pass on covid if you have it, and you may be infectious before you realise it -> therefore increasing the numbers, and increasing the numbers of severe outcomes.

Getting a booster means you can control things. The booster also restores your protection against any infection - the unknown is for how long. So if you are coming up to a period where you can't afford to be downed by covid, getting a booster puts the ball in your court.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

I'm almost 10 months out from my vaccine, so the memory b cells and memory t cells clearly still work even after Nabs have waned. Many many scientists are talking about this component of the immune system but for some reason the antibodies is all anyone focuses on.

Nothing gives 100% protection to anything in life. I've never lived in fear of being part of the small percentage that something bad might happen to, and I refuse to do it again. The only thing guaranteed is death.

As for spreading it, this I'm aware but if spreading to other immune or vaccinated individuals then the very small percentage chance is not something to be afraid of.

And perhaps you think that is selfish, that's fine, I think it's selfish for a very small percentage of the population to want to close all pubs, schools, shops, family gatherings etc to protect them. How were the protected before 2020, I'd bet a lot never thought about restricting other people to protect them.

What is your endgame, covid will never be eradicated, it will circulate in society as does other viruses. Do we lock down every time cases go up? Do we vaccinate constantly (I'm actually not even against a tweaked yearly booster like our flu vaccines) Even though the Who have said vaccination is not the way out?

For me, this is my end game. I will never not enter a friends home who has a cold again. Do you not think at some point there will be no isolation for covid, I believe this will happen sooner or later.

As for booster giving control, we'll actually it just gives the illusion of control, as anyone who received the booster and caught covid within the month and had to isolate can attest to.

How convenient for you to catch covid and have only a runny nose to suit your agenda.

Get the booster folks and don't listen to this type of guff.

Oh it is very convinent, or perhaps its just science that vaccines work.

You believe what you want, but I know if my husband hadn't of been tested I would have carried on with life and never suspected covid.

If I was sick do you think I'd have the ability to function and debate online? I'm bored at home in isolation so here I am.

• Advertisement

Advertisement