Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is Ed Sheeran the greatest music artist of all time?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,646 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Write your own Ed Sheeran song.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Near a tree by a river

There's a hole in the ground

Where an old man of Aran

Goes around and around

They may be placeholder rhymes but better than busker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

He's terrible. What has he done for music.

You can't compare him to these incredible artists

>>INSERT LIST OF ARTISTS THAT ARE A FAVOURITE AMONG THOSE THAT WANT TO BE COUNTER CULTURE AND EDGEY BUT INFACT NOBODY REALLY GIVES A TOSS ABOUT<<

The reality is its often subjective and I find that these debates are often overpowered by wankstains

Music develops. Some create, other copy or mimic.

Michael Jackson created and influenced many artists, but he himself was influenced by other artists.

Do I think Ed is the best artist ever, of course not, but I do like what he's tried to do in different genres.

His song with Bocelli is quite good. I think he tries to do different things, and he does it well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

He's *****, like these threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭pimpmyhat

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭NuttyMcNutty

Think you forgot Prince there pal. Wrote, played, Produced and whatever else needed to be done, even showed his band members how to play what he wanted on any instrument.

Don't make them like they used to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

No he isn't. He's just another example of the rise of mediocrity in every aspect of public life. Ed Sheeran smashing the charts. Harry Maguire and Paul Pogba earning a kings ransom at Man United. Boris Johnson sitting in 10 Downing St. We live in a post ability/talent world it seems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

The disappointment, rage and WTF? at a country wedding when the dj says he's going to play Galway Girl and then plays Ed sheeran's version let's you know he'll never be the greatest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I admire your enthusiasm OP but he's probably not the greatest of all time.

There are quite a few artistes who would lay a stronger claim to that accolade.

He is pretty good at what he does though so don't lose heart.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Minimum effort from the OP and still gets plenty of bites.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

No, that would be the DOD from Kincasslagh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

No, but these lads probably were;

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mary 2021

OP try listening to Gabriels love & hate in a different time or bloodline sublime music, then listen to sheeran compare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Thats like saying is mcdonalds the best food of all time, or is spider gwen or harley quinn the greatest super hero of all time, nick cave or neil young is a better singer, and their songs adress a wide range of subjects, like grief or growing old ,

Ed sheeran sings sentimental love songs ,the ones i heard or mostly about women, i find you sexy, i love you , id like to have sex with you ,

eg basic songwriting 101 subject love and .

ed sheeran is probably not even in the top 50 songrighters even if you limit the scale to male pop singers from the last 30 years.

its like the xfactor ,in 30 years time will anyone remember the xfactor tv show ? , except as part of a trend for reality tv talent show

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,014 ✭✭✭✭billyhead

Your having a laugh OP. Better then Elvis,Bruce Springsteen, Johnny Cash, Michael Jackson, Prince to name a few. I don't think so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,700 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Definitely in the top 99.999%

• Registered Users Posts: 12,926 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Boards has to be on of the easiest places to troll online. It takes no effort at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,731 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

I don't like to criticise Ed as he seems like an unpretentious decent type but he's not exactly Neil Young.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Apothic_Red

I watched the 8 hour Peter Jackson documentary about the making of the Let It Be album.

Sheeran has a formula, it works, his live loop pedal skill is impressive.

Genius however exists in the group above.

• Advertisement

I like Ed but his Galway Girl is even worse than Sharon Shannon's.

Two of the worst songs ever recorded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

What Ed did with Galway girl was nothing short of extraordinary. He deserves to be on a list alright.

Girlfriend had him on yesterday and I like him. Obviously not greatest ever, but if you enjoy it, then it's good, catchy, often uplifting music.

I'm way past my days of caring about specific artists or what they represent. I'm as likely to put on Dua Lipa now as I am to put on Led Zeppelin.

I think a lot of it is about modern production quality. Regardless of the song, modern music just uses more of the range or something and is more pleasing to the ear. A lot of the older stuff sounds compressed in comparison. At least old old music can be remastered but a lot of music during the transition to digital can't be. Well as effectively anyway. Same with movies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,456 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

There's a good clip on YouTube, filmed at the World Music Awards in Monte Carlo a few years back.

Its of Simple Minds performing 'Dont You Forget About Me', on the anniversary of the Movie 'The Breakfast Club', for which it was the theme song, in front of some of the original cast.

Theres a whole load of current day music stars dancing in the audience, like Lady Gaga and Harry Styles, lapping it up for the classic it is and then the camera pans past a motionless Ed Sheeran looking sick as a proverbial parrot. Ive always suspected he realised what a real music act looked like that day.

I think eminem is probably better. He is better than Ed

His views on his videos show otherwise, billions of views while some of your artists have barely 10 million

An example here: 5,556,452,997 which equals to 5 billion 556 million 452 thousand 997

Now compared to a rolling stones classic with 5 milion views. Ed has an extra 1000 views for every view from the rolling stones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ef9QnZVpVd8

^ Ach, that's a bit harsh @Larbre34 . Personally, I think he is too safe, too by the numbers, and ultimately boring, chocolate-boxy drivel... but 'real music' as you use it is just a euphemism for 'music I like'.

I wouldn't cross the road to see Lady Gaga eat a hedgehog from the neighbour's garden or whatever she does and I wouldn't go into the kitchen to hear Harry Styles sing. If Simple Minds showed up at my front door, I'd just shake my head sadly and close it without saying a word. But that doesn't mean they are not creating real music that people like.

Anyway, just out of morbid curiosity, I did some quick googling and discovered that Sheeran has sold just over twice as many records (22 million) as Daniel O'Donnell (10 million), so he must be taken seriously.

However Dolly Parton, who I would walk to the end of the road to see despite not being a fan of her music, has sold 100 million records. And given away 130 million books to schoolkids. The likes of Sheeran has a lot of catching up to do! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,046 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I’m not exaggerating how badly I dislike buskers. You didn’t say what guitar experience you have, so EADGCF might not mean anything to you, but it’s more internally consistent and doesn’t compromise to make a busker’s life easier. It really makes you think about your choices.

Ye Hypocrites, are these your pranks
    To murder men and gie God thanks?
    Desist for shame, proceed no further
    God won't accept your thanks for murder.

―Robert Burns

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,573 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I thought Michael Jackson was the best, seemed to change on the back of a fictional documentary though. Then those two guys when back to court, again, and got laughed out of court, again.

So I think it's unfair not to include Michael Jackson, to dismiss a whole career on the back of a 90 min butcher job is silly.

How many records do you buy? It's a dead metric when the world uses YT and Spotify.

• Advertisement

I get that using an alternative tuning forces you think about your choices, or at least to see things afresh/refocus and that is good. EADGCF isn't that uncommon.. and isn't part of the reason all 4ths is sometimes favoured over standard tuning because it enables more symmetrical and consistent shapes to be played than standard tuning? i.e. in some ways it requires less thought for certain patterns?

Anyway, you can always think about your choices.. even in standard tuning. What's stopping you, except yourself and your hatred of buskers? Does this just apply to guitar-based buskers? I can't stand those Peruvian fellas with their little pipes.. they deserve some flak too :)

True dat. Sales is no measure anyway. Conversations like these are just demoralizing for young musicians, IMO. The fact of the matter is that there is an audience for every type of music.. all that matters is that the musicians enjoy playing and the audience enjoy listening.

Anyway I'm back off to the dancing about architecture thread... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Eduard Khil

Robbed Tom Petty to write a song with another shill Sam Smith

he is a classless manufactured hack unleashed on the mindless masses

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,002 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

He’s not even the best ginger artist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,002 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

It’s a great image, the inoffensive boy next door…nothing controversial, nothing unsightly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Take a bit of "Summer of 69" sprinkle a lot of Bruce Springsteenesque imagery to an English childhood and hey presto! "Castle on the Hill".

I've heard his songs and as others have said, he's a play by numbers artist. Everything is formulaic.

His image is basically the Boris Johnson of pop. Rogueish, dishevelled, "one of us" types that the English love. He's basically the "Robbie Williams / David Gray" of now.

I'm not saying his music is bad but it's not great and he's certainly not the greatest in terms of a musician or a song writer.

I think what is obvious when he's talked about is a lot of people don't know what songs are his.

Like that song is not "busker" or by the numbers. It's been on in the background in my apartment for the last few weeks and I only found out yesterday it's him. I think it's excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Daniel O Donnell is the sexiest man alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Crocodile Booze

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Shilock

Sometimes it's easier to throw out a stick float and breadcrumbs in a pond full of Rudd, rather than drop a blue winged olive under a hawthorn...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,145 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

technically teh second biggest behind The BEatles and after Elvis in record sales

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Nobody is judging the man based on the lies of 2 creepy little fcukers that have a history of telling porkies.

Except the woke media of course. They tripped over themselves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,119 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

It's funny seeing so many people mention The Beatles as the best band ever. I could understand this if they were around when the so-called Fab Foursome were on the go, but I doubt that most of the people saying it here are in their 80s.

If you listen back on their stuff objectively, there's no way you'd say they were the best band in the world if countless hipsters hadn't been telling you that they were the best band in the world over and over again. Take "Twist And Shout". Talk about formulaic, and by the numbers. Is anyone seriously claiming that this is better than Chubby Checker? It's not even better than Chubby Checker And The Fat Boys.

And as for lyrical integrity - Imagine if Taylor Swift repeated "Oompah, oompah, stick it up your jumpah" at the end of what was supposed to be one of her classics. She's be rightly laughed out of it by the very denizens of musical taste that laud the Beatles for it.

Ed Sheeran at least writes about real things. That "Castle on the hill" is a real castle, on a real hill. I've seen pictures of it, it's a fine castle - well worthy of a hit song. The Beatles spent most of their time whacked out on goofballs singing total non-sense about nothing. Ok, Penny Lane is a real lane. But in the song it's got blue skies - yet the fireman "rushes from the pouring rain". They're pretty much writing anything that rhymes.

And comparing Steve Earl's Galway Girl to Ed's song. Is anyone seriously believing that old, balding, bearded Steve Earl just happened across a beautiful young woman out on the street in the rain, she invites him back to her house for shelter and they have a mad, wild one-night stand? I'll take "things that didn't happen" for ten bazillion, Alex. Ed's song could actually happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

The Beatles need to be taken as a whole though.

They started out with the likes of Twist & Shout, and ended up at Let it Be & Abbey Road 8-9 years later. Their output was absolutely phenomenal, and it all happened over a 10 year period. in 10 years they released 22 studio albums!!!!! Twenty Two!!!!

I'm not even entertaining the likes of Ed Sheehan or Taylor Swift in a conversation that contains The Beatles. Ed & Tay Tay are existing in a digital online world, billions of streams on Spotify doesn't mean billions of people listen to their music.....

If you watch a video on Youtube 100 times, it doesn't equate to 100 people have watched it despite it saying it's had 100 views...

The Beatles have influenced thousands of bands that came after them and a lot of those bands that could be considered top 100 of all time., TayTay & Ed have influenced thousands of kids who just want to be famous.

Swift's & Sheeran's record companies could only dream about the levels of output The Beatles had.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,600 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

No.

Easy listening busker music that there's a market for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

He's definitely not the greatest, I don't like the guys music but he has some bit of talent. If you want to listen to music that has zero musical talent listen to reggaeton, my god what a load of shít. My own top 5 is the stones, beatles, prince, nirvana and bowie.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,119 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Their output was absolutely phenomenal, and it all happened over a 10 year period. in 10 years they released 22 studio albums!!!!!

Merzbow have released over 400 albums in 40 years, that's an average of 100 a decade. By your reasoning, they should be almost 5 times better than The Beatles. But I bet if you listened to them, you'd be going on about "quality, not quantity". Double standards are always applied to The Beatles. It's like a cult.

Actually, Merzbow and Ed Sheeran would be a phenomenal collaboration.

I closed my eyes --videos are just distractions in a conversation like this-- and got through 1m30s of the song. The arrangement is moderately interesting as it slips into the dancy bass, but yes from the opening woah woah woh the vocal lines are standard stuff. His breathless vocal technique is designed to evoke sincerity and vulnerability and is quite lady-like, IMO. That stood out. Maybe that is part of his appeal, but he's no Jimmy Somerville :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement