Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Work Christmas Bonus

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 mayogeezer123

€50 Perx card, won’t even fill the car with diesel with it, right miserable bonus but it’s something

Of course you should have to say that, if that’s what you meant.

Nothing in my present company. Most I ever got was 10k. Tax is a killer on bonuses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,184 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Don't get a bean. The population of ireland are a scabby bunch who even begrudge me getting back what was taken from me in 2010, never mind the 5 euro a week increase I got in October

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭andrew1977

100 euro dunnes stores voucher , company made a fortune this year on the back of the pandemic , same situation last year profit wise ,and they gave us 400 euro dunnes vouchers + an extra weeks pay .

Bad taste in everyone’s mouth over what was handed out yesterday considering the effort we have all put in this year .

As one of my colleagues said .. people on the dole got a better bonus and didn’t do a days work 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,159 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

€150 one4all voucher and two days additional annual leave in lieu of a Christmas party. Will also get bonus in April which is personal and company performance based.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 749 ✭✭✭tjhook

I normally try to negotiate for additional leave instead of a bonus. The bonus isn't worth much to me when the state takes more of it than I get myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭BingCrosbee

I retired 2 years ago from a semi state company. I got an overtime payment the week before Christmas every year for the last 30 years. The thing is , I never did any overtime. It was based on the fact that I would do it, if asked. Eight of us in the company got it as a union settlement. You couldn’t write this stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭BingCrosbee

I got 3500 euro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,082 ✭✭✭OU812

Got a hamper delivered today, Wasn't expecting it, so nice surprise. Looked it up & cost price was €49.

Texted my boss to let him know I got it & put in my thanks for the company & he told me the company didn't pay for it. He did, out of his own pocket. He manages a team of 15 & got each of us a hamper.

Company apparently said there's be no bonuses this year (again), there's no xmas party for the second year in a row & they still haven't paid for anything to do with work from home (asked us what else did we need apart from out laptops as they already had screens, keyboards & trackpads).

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭JimmyChew

2 fiddy into the wages in December that needs to be reimbursed to the company on pay-out of the performance bonus they will be paid in 2022. Its a sure-fire sign they the bonus is locked in for 2022 if you get me. We had a lunch planned in place of the Christmas party but that got panned with all the rest of the "Wellness team" stuff but received a 40 or 50 euro hamper in it's place. Locally the boss does his best for us.

Its better than the bottle of wine I received at my previous company that I drank on the Friday night and ended up costing me a days wages on the Saturday...

I'll take what's given and be thankful I can feed my family in a warm and dry abode. The fact that I'm thankful that I can house and keep my family warm should be a given, but can be precarious in this day in age... I feel myself going off on a tangent here.....

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭JimmyChew

There should be money in the kitty for a Christmas bonus to be fair, and I think you should be first to benefit. But due to the industry you're in you are being called to the front lines at present, Yes there is a minority causing undue pressure but even without that cohort you would still be called upon to step up. Please continue to do so, we appreciate & rely upon it and as that awful American phrase goes " thank you for your service" but please don't go down that other road of "Rant over" is does your profession a disservice.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭Xaniaj

Our bonus is paid in the summer for some reason but I've been very lucky and gotten about 20% the last couple of years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

I happen to know someone that worked in Dublin bus maintenance that was originally refused their bonus because some twat of a colleague came in when they had covid symptoms and was waiting on the test results (positive) and therefore the other work colleagues close to the twat had to isolate and Dublin bus then said oh look you were out these days as they marked them as sick when 1. It was not of their making and 2. They were not sick. In fact DB could of been held accountable as they knew the twat was waiting on result. The union had to get involved in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 91 ✭✭neenam

I really don't see the issue with them. Why bother with the app if you have the card? Ok so they can't be used everywhere, but you can look up the list of retailers, restaurants, etc. that accept them in your area or in other locations if you're going away for a few days somewhere. I still had a card from last year (birthday gift, not from work). I looked up the balance in the card online, then I used it up buying a few bits in Tesco. Couldn't use a self check out till with it, wasn't a problem as the till assistant just swiped it and got me to sign a till receipt and I got my own receipt. IMO handy to use in a supermarket if you don't know what to buy.

I got a €150 14all recently so I may get some things in a sports shop and a supermarket.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,544 ✭✭✭blackbox

A lot of people would prefer a guaranteed job and pension for life over a Christmas bonus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,373 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Well it's a good thing the public sector is open for anyone who wants to apply then isn't it...

I have worked extremely long hours I don't clock in or out at my grade

I am happy with my choice in general, but just pointing out zero bonuses no matter how hard or long PS worker puts in.

The pension isn't what it was either.

Come out of it, Teachers have been a disgrace for the last 2 years. All the rest of ye have taken multiple paid covid holidays. Weeks long. Sicken my hole ye lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,373 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

You sound kind of bitter.

Did you not make it past the interview stage for the public sector or what?

I am not a teacher, I haven't taken a sick day in 5+ years. Your talking nonsense.

Couldn't do a job where paid to be incompetent and lazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Luker

What a lot of people don’t know, but most One4all cards can be redeemed for the money! There is an €8 charge per card so would be pointless doing it for small amounts but in previous years I have often redeemed my €500 voucher for €492. Then you really can spend it anywhere! You can contact One4all, they send you a link. You enter the card details, upload photo ID and your bank details.

Doesnt work on corporate bought cards. But still worth checking. My boss bought 20x€500 cards and they weren’t corporate

Waste of money. Tesco accept. So no point doing this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,184 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

What pension? We pay into it, we pay prsi which is towards our state pension like everyone else does. Only difference is we don't get a state pension m it's deducted from our work pension.

Don't forget the 5e a week(gross) increase I got in October 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,618 ✭✭✭✭siblers

We got a 10 euro Amazon voucher last year. Nothing this year

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭motionwaves

Kjjlinlikjk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,732 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Id well believe it. An old company of mine e put in a payroll system for a large semi state and the complexity of the bonuses were unreal. Certain people getting an additional 2e a week for shoes, because the office moved a mile down the road 30 years ago. A dead sheep was removed from a drain once upon a time, so a certain group all got "dead sheep allowance" in case it happened again. Loads of mad little allowances negotiated by unions over the years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

If you get sent a Digital Voucher from your employer, like I did, then you have to use the App! You can eventually get a physical card from it, but your first port of call is you have to redeem it on the App. Spent half an hour this evening trying to get my €500 voucher to work, but their poxy App kept timing out when I tried to enter the verification code.

Absolute bunch of Cowboys. The App on the Play store has a rating of 1.3 out of 5, just review after review of people complaining of issues with it. I work for a very large company and we spent well over 1 million euro on One4All vouchers this year, you'd think they might be able to get their poxy app to work.

I'm going to ring them tomorrow, however my expectations are low (had an issue last year also, where I had it set up to work with Google Pay, which worked a few times and just just stopped working for no reason, eventually they sent me a physical card because they weren't able to get to the back of it). I'm really tempted to go to Trading Standards about them. Every year is such a ballache trying to get the bloody thing working.

• Advertisement

Nothing in my new job, base salary is very high but nothing outside of it.

Previous job you got a days extra leave as a bonus.

Job previous to that I got 3x 500 euro one for all vouchers, which were very nice to receive.

Previous role to that I worked with the owner to get the company bonus up from December 1st, so people got around 5-15% in the first week of December.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,050 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Whether you get a digital voucher or the physical card, you can use a One4All voucher to pay funds onto a Revolut card. Needs to be done €50 at a time, but over a €500 One4All can be done in 10 minutes and then you've whatever the balance is on a prepaid debit card to use as you please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭mailforkev

This I need to know more about. I’ve a 100 quid One4all voucher that would be much better as cash.

On topic, Covid has been good to me from a work point of view, which is a horrible thing to be able to say. Equity markets very much helping. Got roughly 20% of my salary, an additional 10% on top of that thanks to company performance, and over 20% in share options to pay out over the next couple of years.

Google it and you should be able to find the how to.

My OH had €250 from work she wanted to use in Arnotts during the summer, but because it was a digital voucher there was a €50 limit for online use and they couldn't process it in store.

Managed to pay it all onto her Revolut card in 5 transactions of €50, and used Revolut to pay in store

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Patsy167

I thought this loophole had been closed long ago. I tried it today and it didn't work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

50 quid one4all voucher. Same as last year. I'll buy my in-laws Christmas present with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭SourSessions

In I.T.

I get nothing at Xmas

We managed to use it in May this summer, with a One4All that had been issued in December 2020.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

Civil servant so no bonus but locally got a day and a half off to use over Christmas time.

Usually managers will buy a few rounds after our Christmas lunch. Some managers will buy bottles of drink (wine/baileys etc) as a thank you. Both are from their own pockets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

Yes, but it needs to be Validated first, which is where the app turns into a pile of **** for me.

If I could get as far as accessing the voucher, the world would be my oyster, transfer to Revolut, a physical card, Google Pay or Online. Problem is, I enter my email and password, get the validation code sent to my phone (tried it 6 times last night) and it just **** hangs.

Not sure how I'm meant to get past that point. Updated the One4All app, restarted my phone, cleaned the cache etc.. Still the same dismal shitshow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭donegal_man

No bonus this year or last. It's based on company, department & region hitting targets. So even though both department & region exceeded targets both years because the US dragged the company down nobody gets anything.

Nice set up so to rarely give it...put the company first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,082 ✭✭✭OU812

That’s the way it should be. The company should always come first and if the company is doing well, then you get a bonus.

a bonus is by its very definition, not guaranteed and an extra.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,808 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Any time I've got a performance bonus it's never been tied to Xmas.

I have often got vouchers for Xmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭coolisin

Most years we get something.

You get complacent and expect it come December.

No sign of it this year yet, not even a hamper in lieu of the xmas party.

Last year there was a Hamper, it was sh!t but it was better then pretending to be friends with all your work colleagues for one night.

I was happy with it, then on top of that we got a Perx giftcard for €350.

Last year I was expecting nothing as Covid made sh!t of our business.

We don't get bonuses, so the little bit at xmas is awesome!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

1 weeks wages assuming company is meeting their own targets so not as much as a lot of others are posting here.

We also got a colouring book to help with stress (I wish i was joking on that)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

End of the financial year which is March/April for me. It's performance based and has been a nice amount the last few years but I put it straight into the pension (very rock and roll!), which I neglected in my younger years.

EDIT: Oh I just remembered, because we're all WFH these days, last xmas they did send a little bottle of champers and a BIG tinned panettone out to the house. Both went down well!

Post edited by theteal on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Hit and miss for me. Worked for a large supermarket chain that used to give £250 in vouchers (to spend in the shop!). Most of the staff were under 25 so used to just get their parents to swap for cash, but still, that's a bit tight in hindsight.

No Xmas bonus in most other jobs till my current one. Part time job in college was a 24/7/365 affair, and paid insane money for working over Xmas, so you could do 8 hours on Xmas Eve and a 4 hour shift on Xmas morning and come home with €500. Which was kind of like a bonus :D

Current job used to pay a 1k bonus when they were a small company. Then they expanded from 20 to 100 people and that was a big chunk of change, so they had to size it down to €150. Then covid hit :D

This year we got a decent wine & stuff hamper easily €100 in value, so I'm not complaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭honeyjo

Nothing. No surprise there. The company made a 'donation' to charity i.e. a tax write off

• Advertisement
Advertisement