Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Maynooth a good place to buy a house?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭vapor trails

Some party must have been taking place on the pitch beside the playground because the place is an absolute tip this morning with empty cans, bottles & boxes of drink everywhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,249 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Just going to be a buildup from multiple people. Sunny day, no pubs, wildly insufficient bins (bringing your rubbish home has gone out of fashion it seems) - and also the Tidy Towns are on a litter collecting strike to make KCC realise how much they actually do!

The weekend will be worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Sean Seoighe

Any thoughts on Beaufield for house to buy to raise a family?

The Joycer wrote: »

Also same for Griffin Rath Hall. I'd prefer somewhere closer to train station and village like Parklands and Rockfield but nothing available at the moment. Guess GRH has benefit of skipping out on traffic if going to Dublin though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,913 ✭✭✭YellowLead

It’s a nice spot but you’d want to find out if it is one of those student estates - just for night time noise purposes. Some Maynooth estates have hardly and students some are pure student so it’s important to find out.

• Advertisement

YellowLead wrote: »
    It’s a nice spot but you’d want to find out if it is one of those student estates - just for night time noise purposes. Some Maynooth estates have hardly and students some are pure student so it’s important to find out.

Cheers! Just out of interest for whenever a property comes up that we're interested in, aside from posting here how else would you go about finding this out? I guess I could drive around there at different times of day and see who's about but welcome any other suggestions!

Beaufield would have quite a few students. You can't really tell by looking at a place though.

Estates with a higher % of registered tenancies would often mean more students but obviously not only students rent.

https://www.rtb.ie/check/index.html

The number of student rentals is slowly falling as they get priced out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Cheers! Just out of interest for whenever a property comes up that we're interested in, aside from posting here how else would you go about finding this out? I guess I could drive around there at different times of day and see who's about but welcome any other suggestions!

You won't tell from driving around at the moment anyway. Maybe not until october time at the earliest.

Thank you both ðŸ‘ðŸ‘

Any thoughts on Newton Road? Seems great location in proximity to village and train but is neighbour nice area and suitable for young family

• Advertisement

Most of the individual houses are long established old Maynoothians and the estates closer to the town on it are also fairly old and not known to have problems really. Getting anywhere from that side of the town is never fun, but neither is Moyglare etc.

L1011 wrote: »
    Most of the individual houses are long established old Maynoothians and the estates closer to the town on it are also fairly old and not known to have problems really. Getting anywhere from that side of the town is never fun, but neither is Moyglare etc.

Yep I'd imagine getting to Tesco for example could be delays but flip side is coming off N4 you'd get there quick enough as you turn off main through road to Maynooth very early. Thanks for the feedback too

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Any thoughts on Newton Road? Seems great location in proximity to village and train but is neighbour nice area and suitable for young family

For me and not just as I live this side, it's got the most plusses for me. Well established estates, most estates have good sized houses and gardens (main reason for ending up here)

But then you realise that the traffic on this side is far easier. No traffic lights other than straffan road and then at the Roost.

No plans to develop this side of the town as yet either, zoned for agricultural, but eventually there are fields this side of the flyover that will have houses on them I'd guess.

Yep I'd imagine getting to Tesco for example could be delays but flip side is coming off N4 you'd get there quick enough as you turn off main through road to Maynooth very early. Thanks for the feedback too

Tesco is grand if you can time your shop. Sat morning, Tesco, green grocer and the Elite home before 9:30, no traffic.

lordgoat wrote: »
    For me and not just as I live this side, it's got the most plusses for me. Well established estates, most estates have good sized houses and gardens (main reason for ending up here)

But then you realise that the traffic on this side is far easier. No traffic lights other than straffan road and then at the Roost.

No plans to develop this side of the town as yet either, zoned for agricultural, but eventually there are fields this side of the flyover that will have houses on them I'd guess.

Tesco is grand if you can time your shop. Sat morning, Tesco, green grocer and the Elite home before 9:30, no traffic.

Thanks so much - great to hear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

I'm out the Newtown road, traffic can back up going to the main Street, but it's predictable, and there's alternative routes that really help

• Registered Users Posts: 2 rustygb

How about Hayfield, Straffan Rd opposite LIDL? Is it safe for families? does it have students renting homes in here too and anti-social behaviour?

I don't think there's any student houses there. There's actually not many left anywhere even in the estates that were riddled with them - they can't afford the prices these days. I'm not sure there's even any in Straffan Wood behind it.

The main footpath for that side of the Straffan Road passes through the estate. This may bring some more noise but also brings passive surveillance - for instance living on a (different) road with decent passing traffic of pedestrians meant that a UPS delivery that arrived early when I was on holiday was safe on my doorstep for a full day and a half; it would likely have been swiped somewhere more sheltered!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Simply, if you're worried about students. Don't move to a town with a university in it. The College is what makes the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭you2008

make sense - try Kilcock, you will get nothing over there

I can remember when Maynooths shops shut earlier in the summer due to no student business!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 LeahW

Hi there#

We just visited a house in Straffan Grove. Could you please share some pros and cons? Is it noise for a newborn baby?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Hello.

I wouldn't read to much into students in Maynooth and the estates they are or are not in. You are just as likely to have students beside you in one of the more expensive estates these days than say the likes of Straffan Wood, Meadowbrook or Kingsbry. In fact I think since covid those older and more budget friendly estates have thrived from younger families moving into them.

Cluainn Aoibhin is also nice and a second hand 4 bed is about 300k cheaper than a new 4 bed. A bungalow in kingsbry recently sold for 510k so that will show you the potential of the area. Parklands and silken vale also have nice houses a little dearer but they also have a decent size student population now.

Student levels are dying off in all the old student estates. Can't afford the rents, landlords don't want the hassle and don't want 9/10 month leases either.

Probably 10 ex student rentals near me sold in the past 5 years; 8 or 9 are now owner occupied and the others are still landlords, but to families.

Some are workers house sharing rather than students - more likely to afford it, are there over the summer and usually a lot quieter than students.

Advertisement