Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I don't know where we're going, but we know where we are? (Part whatever)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭thomil

Yep, three sizes too small 🤣

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,158 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Sounds about right!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,149 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Woke up early yesterday morning and ate some blueberries from the fridge, 4 hours later I was dying. Not a very enjoyable day especially as I had to work.

Back on my KEFIR regime this morning.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,158 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

And there I was thinking blueberries were harmless wee things 😱

• Advertisement

Wandering around the local mall, so easy when Christmas isn’t celebrated around here, shops are totally empty :)

Bath and Body Works appears to have turned into a candle shop these days, trying to think what is my “Christmas smell”, what is that one thing that I loved about Christmas, and I can’t actually remember one :) I guess that open fires created their own scent, but we didn’t have marshmallows, ginger, pumpkin etc. I settled for “Candy Apple”.

So what scent immediately reminds you of Christmas?

Hah I see.

My seasonal smell is silage, failing that mixed spice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭wildwillow

My Christmas smell is almond icing and rich cakes.

My mother was great at volunteering my icing skills to all the neighbours so I was always busy before Christmas when I should have been enjoying school holidays. Became expert at American icing as it was a very quick fix and probably accounted for lots of visits to the dentist in the new year.

Ugh almond paste and effing apricot jam. Gawk..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭thomil

For me, it would be two distinct smells, the first one being, oddly enough, the smell generated by train brakes.

For most of my living memory, Christmas has meant train rides of some description, whether it‘s an eight to ten hour odyssey from Austria, or just the quick 45 minute hop on an ICE3 from Frankfurt Airport to Mannheim. Especially the trains in the former case would have a very distinct smell, caused probably by the very curvy tracks in the alps, and that has always stayed with me as being associated with Christmas. You could also add jet fuel to that, since of course once I moved to Ireland, going home for Christmas meant being shot through the stratosphere in an aluminum tube, sometimes more than once.

The second is the smell of ontbijtkoek, that gingerbread-like Dutch breakfast loaf. Since it is an essential ingredient to my family‘s traditional Christmas meal, and due to the fact that most German supermarkets would only stock it during the run-up to Christmas, it has become seared in my memory as THE scent of Christmas.

@smurfjed From what I heard from my colleagues, it‘s an Oculus Quest 2, a VR headset. I haven‘t actually gotten it yet, the package only left Paris this morning and I‘ll be lucky if I get it before Christmas…

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

I got 2 x 8KG fresh turkeys delivered to me today, had the hotel chef debone them and left them In their fridge, now all I have to do is carry them home on Christmas Eve. One of these days I shall get sense and stop doing stupid things like this, but alas life wouldn’t be so much fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,895 ✭✭✭gifted

FFS......I went up to get the booster vaccination last Saturday morning but got told I needed 6 months between contracting covid and the booster ..got told I had to call back in 5 days because then it would be 6 months ...the dickhead...

Now I hear on the news that its 3 months gggrrrrrr

• Registered Users Posts: 5,896 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Thing is you could have had it 3 weeks ago with no symptoms, not as if we're being routinely tested.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

My Christmas smells would be the scent of a real tree, magical in our lounge as a child growing up - with the lights on and the decorations. A magical buzz! 🥰🎄🎄🎄

The other Christmas smell would be the roast ham in the oven, glazed with honey and cloves. Yummy!! 😋💕

Got my Covid booster jab this morning followed by a blitz at the Blanch centre to grab last Xmas shopping items. Mission accomplished! 👍👍👍

Home now and rather fatigued.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,911 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

The scent of a real Christmas Tree .... always a real one when we were young . The first slice of the ham on Christmas Eve , alongside a Batch loaf . Always too hams cooked , as one would vanish on Christmas Eve with whoever called in having a cuppa and a fresh sandwich

Happy memories of innocent times .

Very early working morning today, to.be followed by 4 very late days/nights.

At least I get my xmas day dinner with my favourite two little people, looking forward to that, but Xmas is not the same when you have to work!

Hope you're off Grem!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Still 3 days work to go and then off for the weekend 👍😄

• Registered Users Posts: 13,176 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

We used cook only one ham and always on Xmas eve. I would sneak a few skelps of the fat off with my fingers. It was coated in brown sugar and glaze and cloves and still warm.

It would look like a little mouse burrowed a few holes in it after my little hands had their way.

So yea, the smell of roasted ham is the Christmas scent.

To thine own self be true

Strangely enough, a roast ham candle wasn’t on sale, I think that there might be.a demand for this :)

• Advertisement

Nah I'm working both weekends but we're not bothered thankfully

Wedding I was supposed to be going to on New Years has had their numbers reduced, I’m now available 😄👍

Coalface is beckoning 😂😂

Alfie pics later so 😊

Wheres Alfie 😂😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 13,176 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

To thine own self be true

Alfie a good where's wally.

Why flipping sideways 😡

@grem, crop a little off the bottom of the photo and it will magically post in portrait.

Hmm I load direct from album so no option to crop, do I need to upload it elsewhere then?.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Chilling in front of the TV, got a few things in today including wrapping pressies (not that many this year) and later on, nude indoor swimming which was the first time in months. 👍👍

Feeling a bit lethargic and fatigued the day after my booster shot. Is this normal?

OH is out all day on his mad dash get everything in one day Xmas shopping rush. Much less organised facing the festive season than I. lol 😆 😁😜😜

• Advertisement

Booster has taken a lot out of us too. Energy and mild aches.

Advertisement