Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2021 - Thread banned users post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,777 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Look like the US Fed will raise rates. Goodbye bubble stocks.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Been baked in for months, hence the slaughter of growth stocks this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Yeah growth stocks went on a rampage for the last 3 hours yesterday after the announcement. The certainty is good for markets, the uncertainty was bad

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

10k swing in my degiro account yday. I was listening to jPow live on meet kevins utube channel, kevin predicted it all fairly well, max fear and a big sell off right before the meeting, then to go green by market close, if I'd be on the ball alittle sooner I would of been buying the Nasdaq on my spread betting account.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

He's very on the ball with that. One of my friends actually bought his course and gets all of his stock alerts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

Tis a volatile market. Any day the S&P is down by a percent or so my growth stocks are up bigly.

LMND up nearly 8%, DKNG up 6% and CRSP up 7.5%. Now my portfolio isn't up much today because all those positions are relatively tiny thanks to the thrashings they've had the last 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

I have been nibbling away on the various dips... bringing down BEP's where appropriate and opening small starter positions in companies I haved been watching for a while.

Only thing is, I now have about 80 open positions 😳 Any of the investment guides would suggest this is pure madness.

Anybody else in this boat?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 direstraits2021

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭jams100

I've 31 positions and I personally think there is a good bit of effort required to follow those positions, 80 seems alot to me, I'd suggest looking at trimming that number back, with that many positions it (I imagine) would be hard to outperform the S&P500

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

Ahh 80 is madness! There's no way you'd be able to keep on top of all that. 31 is a lot too.

I had up to 40 at one stage earlier in the year but I've taken it back to 13 now, with a further 8 to get the chop this week, leaving me with 5 going into next year. Be careful not to spread yourself too thin!

*0 you've just got yourself a fund. You're not buying stocks at all at that rate. Sounds like you need more conviction in what you're buying

80! Woah! I couldn't imagine having that many. I read somewhere too much diversification is bad. The number 15 or 20 stocks in a portfolio is the right amount to cover yourself.

Market so volatile at the minute. Balls deep in BABA so saw it drop nearly 7% yesterday on a live streamer getting banned due to tax evasion yet it's recovered fully today.

DKNG and NET up 9% today.

Portfolio up just shy of 4% today. Still down about 2.5% overall.

Probably be another big red day tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Ixlandia

Yeah what a change again in sentiment in just less than 24 hours, doom and gloom yesterday, this morning all was well with the world. I’m sensing a false sense of security though, the full effect of omicron is still to be played out, interest rises next year will depend on that for the first 6 months anyway.

lets wait and see, anyway the Santa rally should happen, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

Added a small amount of Tilray as a long-term hold, the price at pretty much the 52 week low represents a bargain for me.

NFA. DYODD. Etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

Well to be fair, I have probably 5 large positions, another 5 ETF's and then about 70 small starter positions/speculative punts/gambles etc. But yeah, I suppose, I should just liquidate some of those smaller positions.

Yeah like 5 big positions, should be 40-50% of your portfolio, so if there's 70 making up the rest, that's less than 1% each. So if one is a big success and 5x in 2021, you gain 5%. That's underperforming the S&P

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Any of you still holding PLS from the lithium craze a couple of years ago? Getting very interesting now. ATH every night.

• Advertisement

Good article summing up the Jack Ma and Alibaba situation:

"Huxiu [A Chinese newspaper which Alibaba has a stake in], which had also published an editorial warning against excessive punishment of China’s tech groups, was ordered to halt its operations for a month." 

"The Communist party reigns supreme and that any private business, no matter how strategically important to the country’s future, will be brought to heel if it is perceived to jeopardise the party".

I wonder if Alibaba started or wanted to start paying dividends would Xi Jinpeng reject it? I don't see how he would like Chinese money leaving the country?

If you own a private Chinese enterprise, do you even own it? Let's face it the state pretty much runs these companies and all they are really interested in is protecting their power and to a lesser extent Chinese citizens.

Leaving aside the fact that the CCP party basically control these companies and can block any acquisitions, tax any dividends (easily) etc. You don't even own any part of the actual underlying Chinese company, rather, a contractual agreement to part of their future profits. This means that as shareholders you've no voting entitlements and no direct ownership in the companies assets. (Now, the average investor not having voting rights isn't a big deal but this would be off-putting for institutional investors, and let's face it, these are the ones that move stocks long term).

It's plausible to suggest that at the CCP could ban VIE's at some point in the future, although not likely, in that scenario it would leave most westerns owning stocks like Baba, JD, Tencent etc. "holding the bags".

I know the argument is that a lot of this is already factored into the current price and that Charlie Munger is an investor etc. but I'd suggest that many on this forum don't actual know what an ADR / VIE structure is, well worth knowing before / if invested in any Chinese companies. The reason that the VIE structure was created in the first place is that under Chinese law, foreign ownership in most Chinese industries is prohibited.

Bottom line is CCP don't / won't give a f**k about western investors. Dyor

Very Good article on the VIE Structure ->

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭notsocutehoor

Up nearly 20 fold in 18 months, pretty impressive

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Ekerot

Could anyone suggest some stocks I should buy? I'm new to this (I have about $600)

I know the safest idea would be to throw them into ETFs for now, but I don't think revolut has any at the current moment.

None of this is news. Institutional investors knew this years ago. Institutional investors still own tens of billions of the company.

From 1st January 2020 to October 2020 (it's peak) BABA grew 40%.

I've been reading about the VIE thing for years at this stage. People keep repeating it.

Tencent trades OTC and has performed very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭notsocutehoor

I'd agree with Pussyhands, you'll get 2 BRK.B shares, won't make you rich but should make a steady profit over time

• Registered Users Posts: 82,580 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Blackstone

Devon Energy

Ford

Porsche...for exposure to VW on the cheap

Tata Motors

Institutional investors would know but I'd say the majority on this forum wouldn't know about the VIE structure (at least in detail) hence the post.

Also could alot of that institutional investments not just be coming from passive investors at this stage? (I.e I presume baba is in a few of the foreign growth indexes).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,777 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Alibaba (BABA) ownership with the top fund investors. 15 of them own BABA.

DATAROMA Superinvestor Ownership

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement

Someone in here mentioned Berkut Minerals, now called Carnaby Resources, a couple of years back. If you're still here I owe you a pint. I bought some and left them in the bottom drawer. It's up 350% these last few weeks. My average is around 18c and they're currently 126c....great end to the year.

Advertisement