Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boosters

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,577 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

So, you are saying all viruses are equal, that if you have some immunity to one after 20 yrs, it stands that you can’t have short lasting immunity to another?

What are you basing your opinion on? And why could they both not be correct? A flu vaccine gives short term protection, whereas a HepB vaccine lasts longer. Not a new concept.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,392 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I figured the GPs and pharmacies would be up the walls and didn't want to bother them. But would you believe I actually got a text from my GP's practice yesterday evening and have an appointment for Weds morn!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

They have different, but yet similar enough that the vaccine research was used for Covid19...

This is a bit about natural immunity lasting 17 years for SARS-CoVid-1

So when I hear "experts" harp on about natural immunity being short lived or too soon to tell...we have evidence to contrary with a very similar virus, which was so similar that we used the vaccine research to develop and fast track the Current Covid19 vaccines

• Registered Users Posts: 30,582 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Has SARS spawned many variant strains?

How are so many people getting covid twice if they have rapid reaction antibodies to it?

As opposed to an immune response which kicks in to prevent severe infection?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,490 ✭✭✭corkie

Study finds Moderna boosts neutralising antibodies against Omicron

The data showed that 50mcg of the Moderna vaccine (the half-dose recommended by the Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation for the UK’s booster programme) increased neutralising antibody levels against Omicron approximately 37-fold compared to pre-boost levels, while a full dose increased it 83-fold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Hate the no blame crap, the selfish should be called out instead of all this American crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,577 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

The research into HIV was used to develop the Covid vaccine, does that mean they are similar enough to have the same periods of immunity from a vaccine? Of course not.

Can’t understand myself why people assume all viruses are the same, and all vaccines should give the same immune responce, they don’t seem to understand that there is another vitally important variable.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭glut22

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

I got the booster yesterday at a random gp surgery near where I was working who opened it up to all walk ins who were >3 months post vaccine. So relieved to have got it!

But I got no proof of vaccine at all, no little record card or anything. And all they took was my name, dob, address, and pps on a slip of paper. I sincerely hope it's recorded properly for when/if certs are updated.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,884 ✭✭✭Russman

Purely anecdotal I know, so take with a pinch of salt, but I got a text from someone I loosely know on Sunday evening saying there were no queues in Citywest even after the madness of the morning time.

Another person I'd trust 100% called me yesterday evening to say he was leaving Citywest having gotten his booster and that there wasn't a single person ahead of him, no queue at all. This was around 4.30pm. I had read in yesterday's paper that Citywest was scheduled to do 8,500 appointments yesterday so this surprised me.

I had the same experience the previous Friday week in Citywest, very few around, and I was chancing my arm. They still refused me as I'm in my 40s and at the time the MVCs weren't doing them.

Maybe things do quieten down in the evening time at the MVCs.........

• Advertisement

That was fast... looks busy day in Dublin.

City West full already, not taking any more appointments and the queue is 2 hours ... maybe it's the ok weather today?

Croke Park queue is 1.5 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭Azatadine

I got mine in a GP and exactly the same...got nothing in terms of a record card or anything. They did take my name, DOB etc and my PPS number too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,856 ✭✭✭Polar101

Went to Fairyhouse (co. Meath) today around noon, took almost two hours. When I left the queues were much shorter, so going later in the day might have been a better idea (they were open 9am-7pm). The setup seemed fairly efficient, there were just loads of people.

They also had a sign at the gate saying it's a Moderna clinic today, so that's what I got. I had Pfizer before.

Just over five months since dose #2, so this worked out all right.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Is there any way of finding out what centres are using what booster? I'm double-Pfizer-ed and I would prefer to have Pfizer rather than Moderna - I've been reading posts from people suffering fairly bad side effects after getting Moderna. I had very little reaction to Pfizer (arm ache, that was it) and would hope that if I got a Pfizer booster that my body would react ok to it.

Edit - a post on the previous page seems to answer my question - they have both available and you can choose.

I read they have a huge amount of stock to use up of Moderna, so I assumed all the MVCs were Moderna until that's used. You might be able to ask for Pfizer if you say you want to be vaccinated but are not happy to take Moderna... that worked for somone earlier in the thread, but not sure if it's guaranteed Pfizer will be available on the day for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭airy fairy

I have a relative that had her 3rd Pfizer during the week, sick for 4 days, horrendous, completely wiped, even took a PCR, negative.

And another relative who was very sick with Pfizer first 2 jabs. Had Moderna last week and had no issues afterwards.

Tbh, I wouldn't be picky, take what's available, anything is better than Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭plodder

Isn't the Moderna dose slightly larger than the Pfizer, which maybe explains that? I don't care what I get but probably would prefer Moderna as got Pfizer first time round and it seems to make sense that mixing it up is a good idea. Not really the same but I heard a doctor talking about the antiviral treatments (not vaccines) and they would prefer to prescribe a cocktail of different drugs at the same time, because they all work slightly differently and the more angles of attack the better, so to speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,490 ✭✭✭corkie

New York City is digging back into its pockets as it scrambles to curb the record-setting omicron tide, offering $100 cash to anyone who gets a COVID-19 booster at a city-run vaccine site between now and New Year's Eve, the mayor said Tuesday.

The reactions aren’t necessarily consistent just based on the vaccine. Some people will react differently to others for a whole variety of reasons - each person’s different, we’ve different inherited genetics and our immune systems have different histories of encountering viruses, so you can’t generalise.

On average though the Pfizer and Moderna reactions are usually mild.

I think the original Moderna dose was larger, but the Moderna booster is a half dose so about the same as Pfizer now.

I got Pfizer x 3 as that's what my GP was doing as walk ins hadn't opened for my age group yet. I preferred that as I had only minor reaction to first Pfizer jabs, was worried about the Moderna "chills".

But yes there might be something to the argument of a mixed regime, though I wonder if a mix of old style and mRNA would be best rather than different mRNAs? Interesting one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭kazamo

I got the Moderna booster on Sunday and 54 hours later I am not clucking like a chicken or glowing neon green.

I had a slight ache in my arm but had that with Pfizer jabs and the same re feeling a bit tired yesterday.

Get the booster and boost your immune system and you help us all by making it a bit harder for this to spread.

If my situation changes and I start chasing cars or eating iron/coal/take your pick I will post (oh wait I could be a lizard by then 😮😫)

We will all probably be due a 4th vaccine in May anyway.

Self booking system being trialled for some MVCs including Croke Park

https://mobile.twitter.com/HSELive/status/1473322862459211781

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

Local GP in Sandyford Village, great little set up and really keen to help as many as possible, in and out in five minutes after booking a couple of days ago. My partner booked for next week but they brought it forward after seeing how quickly they were able to get through the people so will be done tomorrow

Happy to of done it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

I have had 2 Pfizer and a Moderna booster (yesterday, Cork no queue) - same side effects for all, tender arm around the injection site. I have a work trip booked late in Jan so good timing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭apache

The HSE has opened it's website to book an appointment for boosters instead of first come first served. I have mine booked for tomorrow morning so hopefully no mad queues. Happy dayz.....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Random one lads but I can't get through to the helpline, I got my 2nd dose in may as the job I had qualified me as a frontline worker. I'm not in that job anymore but would I be eligible to book a booster under that grouping?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭apache

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I cant get the booking page following HSE link ? Any ideas how to access it ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I get the message Safari wont open this page .

Advertisement