Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Google Pixel 6/Pixel 6 Pro

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭overpronator

Thanks for sharing. No joy here.😭

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Summer2020

You'd like to hope a fix for this will be out very soon as in days not weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,166 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Nearly 1 week now with no phone coverage, Google are supposedly one of the biggest companies in the world this should have been a same day fix.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Long time iphone user here, switched to pixel recently. Starting to regret it. This wouldn't have happened in iOS and if it did there would be an emergency fix within 48hrs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭beardo81

I missed several calls (the person could not contact me at all) as I was indoors in work on Friday, about a job opportunity for a family member. Luckily I met the person face to face today and they asked why my phone was off all day Friday. I did not have these reception issues with my previous phone (Huawei Mate 20 Pro)

This is really really poor form from Google, there are simply no excuses for not pushing out an emergency fix. I really like the device, excellent hardware but Android 12 is actually getting buggier for some reason and zero communication from Google.

I have been an Android user for many years now but this would really make you reconsider moving to the relative stability of iOS.

Oh and still no bloody headphones either 😂

• Advertisement

Google still treat the pixel as a beta device unfortunately. I like the phone but it's been one problem after another. There's a reason why Samsung and others don't implement the latest version of Android until all these bugs have been ironed out.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭TheRona

Come on man. That's just not true. Samsung used to have the biggest bloated mess of a ROM up on top of Android, and it took forever for them to implement everything. Nothing at all to do with waiting for Android bugs to be ironed out.

On top of this OEM's have no problem whatsoever introducing their own bugs without the help of Google. Every single phone I've used has had software bugs of some sort. Some of them don't affect your day-to-day usage, but some do.

That said, this connectivity bug is a major issue for some users. At the very least, Google should guide these people on how to roll back to the previous software version, if they can't figure it out for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

Been out and about this week. This is scandalous stuff. What a bug to be left unresolved

Notification on my watch are off the charts for loss of signal (virgin mobile)

All in all. A regrettable purchase.

Sending out an update that messes up phone signal is a fatal flaw, the fact that it still hasn't been fixed in simply not good enough.

Google don't do enough in house testing and are happy to release products and then make changes afterwards. I've missed important calls from family friends and the hospital.

The email Google sent me was awful, basically wanting me to do all the work to document that I've no signal when thousands of people are affected by the same issue. Just not good enough. If they'd bothered to get WiFi calling setup it would have helped but again it's an afterthought.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Have you rolled back to the old ROM? Definitely worth doing in the meantime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭RugbyLad11

This is my first Pixel phone and I agree 100%

I've had no mobile data and no ability to make calls since last Tuesday. I honestly cannot believe it still hasn't been fixed.

I've had a bank trying to ring me today for something I've been waiting on for a while and then email saying they can't get through to me. This is in central Dublin where should be no issues. I'll give it another day or two and then seriously consider changing. This is a serious mess up. Any other bugs you could live with for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭Ryath

Submitted the bug report to them yesterday. Got an email back a couple hours ago looking for my IMEI and they are going to push a patch to my phone to see if it fixes it. Will report back, fingers crossed!

Had my sim back in my Pixel 4a for the day and no issues with coverage. Strange going back to the small phone. The rear fingerprint print scanner is so much snappier though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 357 ✭✭pandabat

Fair play for actually doing the work on submitting the bug information! Much easier to fix a bug when there's something to work from and seems that their turnaround was fairly quick after that 👏

Post edited by pandabat on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭Ryath

Ah it's not that much work even though it looks like a lot in the email. It's basically turn on developer mode and change a few settings in that the run bug report. The first one I ran and emailed to myself didn't come through properly so I just shared the second to Drive.

They did get holding down the power button wrong to open menu to generate the bug report. You did that on the older pixels but on the 6 you need to press the power and volume up together. Don't think it took me more than 5 minutes. There's only about 10 questions to answer most one or two words and few version numbers to paste in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,435 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I dropped signal a few times today which is the first time I've noticed it since the update.

Had an awful lot of battery drain today as well from mobile network standby for some reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

I got my €75 voucher issued today. No sign of the headphones yet but maybe a sign of progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Leon124

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭beardo81

Thanks, but I've found that didn't help at all. Anyone have any improvement with it?

Yeah tried that, thought I saw a slight improvement but that soon disappeared.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭mossie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

Looks like they are going to miss the promised 60-day deadline, for me that would be the 29th of December, and I doubt they will ship them between now and the new year. Very disappointing, was hoping to have then for xmas travel.

Still no signal 85% of time, wife on same network is fine.

Sent in the developer mode info per request from tech support, will report back.

Carrier services beta didn't work also.

Claim for headphones was approved 4th Nov, no status change yet but I didn't really expect this side of Christmas and not too fussed personally, just don't tell people 60 days if not realistic as others will expect it.

It's all been a shambles really.

Agree. All been sloppy since day one. Don't tell people 60 days if you're not going to do it. Don't push out an update until you're sure it doesn't affect the main point of a phone i.e reception for calls. And if you do mess up then issue an emergency fix asap. They've failed on all so far. I certainly won't be applying any future pixel updates until I'm sure they're not introducing more bugs. Soured the experience of the phone for me and wishing I never switched from iOS.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Pinapples

For what it's worth I've been using Pixels for a few years and never encountered anything like this. Google are quicker to release patches than any other Android vendor, so hopefully this will be addressed soon.

My Pixel 6 is on Gomo. The signal is fluctuating indoors, but it seems to be holding.

My advice (if you haven't already) would be to factory reset and do a clean setup (don't restore settings from a backup).

• Advertisement

Thanks, I do like the phone and OS etc etc, this is just such a pain.

Is the factory reset just a general tip or is it out there as a potential fix?

Reason I ask is to that I've already done a factory reset due to it wiping my fingerprints after battery drain and not being able to reregister so a bit reluctant to go again!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭opus

I tried that as well but doesn't seem to have made any difference. At my desk the phone used to have LTE coverage but now it's H+. Don't really mind that as I can leave it on wifi but very annoying when I'm listening to streaming services jogging as it keeps dropping out & then reconnecting.

Factory reset without a restore will guarantee all network settings will revert to default. I know it's a pita, but unless you store media on your device, it usually just involves startup, adding your accounts and installing your apps. I also backup my WatsApp messages and Authenticator settings before I start. That's about it.

Are people suggesting a factory reset will fix this issue? I'd be surprised if it does. Surely the way to fix it for sure is to flash the previous factory image from November.

https://developers.google.com/android/images

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,435 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Just on the headphones, is Google shipping them or is it farmed to a third party? If it's a third party are they shipping from the UK because all our headphones could be stuck in customs if so?

No, but its one of the obvious things to try... if that didn't work I'd install the original image until a fix is released.

• Advertisement

Factory reset did nothing for me. Flashing the previous image did the job.

Looking at last year, I had 2 pairs shipped on December 3rd, and they arrived on the 14th and 17th of December. I think they did come through the UK. I'd say there's very little chance of seeing them before the New Year. My 60 days is something like Jan 4th anyway. I'd say the earliest applications were November 1st, which would be December 31st for their 60 days if they were approved straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭1jcdub

Just read the thread. I see carries services didn't work:

There is a fix available until Google fixed the issue. Go to your play store. Look for carrier services. Scroll down a little and you see Join the beta option. Select and after a little while you'll see an update for the beta version of the app. Download it and this should fix your network signal issue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭musiknonstop

Switching to carrier services beta program seems to have fixed the issue for me. So far so good.

There's also reports of turning off Adaptive Connectivity in settings helping some people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

It seems this may only be a temporary fix from what I've been reading elsewhere, others report it having no effect or quickly reverting to as before. The same for the adaptive connectivity setting, either no effect or reverts quickly. Worth trying obviously, but doesn't look good.

I saw a post on reddit saying google are mailing bug submitters a fix to test. I'm in software myself and this seems beyond bananas for a company like Google. Surely they have a boat load of Pixel 6 devices for their own testing. Sending end users fixes to test, that are not guaranteed to work is insanity.

I'd have to assume at this point that the fix will be with the January update. I'll wait for a good while before installing any updates again, which is the exact opposite of what I was expecting with a Pixel device.

Got the below email from Google this evening

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

This has worked for some people and not for others. I tried it last week and it did nothing for me and I ended up rolling back to the November build. It's possible there's a newer version of Carrier Services this week but if not it's not really a fix as it only works for some people and even then isn't always permanent. Worth a try but don't expect too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 357 ✭✭pandabat

They possibly do but, depending on where the dev is being done, their ability to test with problematic networks, specifically in Europe may be limited. They'd need devices and test teams in many European countries to verify the efficacy of any fixes across many networks and so it seems expedient to use bug reporters too.

That said, you'd assume that, given their size and dominance, they wouldn't have to resort to that but here we are.

Not uncommon alas. Microsoft now infamous for effectively having users being effectively testers and OnePlus' recent disastrous OxygenOS 12 rollout being just 2 examples that spring to mind.

Let's just hope that the next iteration improves but so it goes at the bleeding edge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,907 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Good evening all. Looking at the thread has put me off buying one of these in the New Year.

Should I be put off or would you still recommend?

I for one haven't experienced any issue with connectivity with my Pixel 6 Pro although I do find the battery a little disappointing but perhaps I am just using the phone more these days than my old one, but in saying that it does have a good camera that takes nice photos which is the main reason I bought the phone and the reason I like Google's pixel line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

It's actually 60 days after approval if you check the confirmation email. So that's the 17th of Jan for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭1jcdub

I've a S20 plus and its almost a couple of year old. I'm interested in the pixel 6 pro, But vodafone doesn't stock the pro model. So either I take the standard 6 model and avail of the buds offer (the standard pixel wont cost me anything, as I'm due an upgrade). And stick with that. Or I take the pixel 6 and sell it sealed in the box, and go directly to google and buy the pro model. Is it worth the extra 350 or so that I'll have to spend?

Another alternative is to wait for the S22....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭dancingqueen

I called Google yesterday to complain and ask if I can return the phone for a refund. I am waiting on a response

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭jaykay2

I have the 6 rather than the Pro and am very happy with it. Outside of the connection issues, which aren't that much of a problem for me as I am working from home, I have loved it so far. Camera is great and despite it taking a bit of time at the start, I have gotten used to the Pixel launcher after coming from Samsung.

Battery is also fantastic with more than enough to last the day. Have had close to 10 hours screen on time with over 20% left a few days ago.

Still waiting on my headphones despite being approved on Nov 1st, but outside of that, I am very happy with my purchase.

• Advertisement
Advertisement