Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Murder at the Cottage | Sky

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭mamboozle

If you've ever lived in England, you will know that Nick "roaring laughing" Foster is very typical of a certain type for whom it is an innate belief that Irish people are backward and credulous. He has more than likely found the whole idea of Bailey's guilt being widely accepted as so ridiculous that he has no problem adding to the absurdity. He does however have work to do and there is some method to his madness.

There is a preliminary investigation taking place at present and it is highly desirable from many people's point of view that everything to do with the original crime scene and investigation is beyond any redemption as far as bringing serious charges are concerned. This of course need never be communicated to the public, any report(for internal use and confidential) can state that there are reports of potential crime scene contamination, so consequently any evidence cannot be relied on blah, blah blah.

We will know soon enough when some Garda source advises some newspaper that it has been decided not to have a cold case review but that the case is still a live investigation. When Sophie's son was interviewed by Ryan Tubridy he didn't come across as someone in any way convinced of the verdict they concocted in France. If he had been he would have been passionate about the need to extradite his mother's killer but he hardly even mentioned this only making some pointless appeal to the Irish people for something or other.

I would suggest to people who make it their business to go on about Ian Bailey's supposed violent nature that what we know about him was confined to something between himself and his partner and she was quite open about the fact that she wasn't completely innocent in all of it and that she forgave him. The idea that he exerted coercive control is patently obviously stupid. When his accusers are clutching their pearls they might try to remind themselves that since Sophie's murder we have come to understand that there was always quite a bit of very serious violence going on behind closed doors in Ireland. We have heard about how many clerics, grown men, raped and abused young children, mostly boys and how many children died as a result of beatings they got while in their care. The horror is unimaginable to many people now. The institutions which these clerics were members of have done plenty to downplay their culpability and only grudgingly conceded that they should have to pay limited redress. It's one of those things with Irish institutions, don't expect to ever get the full story.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭PolicemanFox

Foster's latest "tipoff" doesn't make a lot of sense. He is imagining a conspiracy of silence that ties up the Gardai and Ian Bailey and this witness and lots of others. Essentially he is saying Gardai are pretending not to know Ian Bailey was at the scene because it would be embarrassing to them whilst Ian Bailey is pretending he wasn't at the scene because it would be incriminating. It doesn't make sense. If the Gardai had a witness to say he was there they would have used it to try to get a charge Bailey.

Alternatively, if this witness hasn't told the Gardai after 25 years then his or her testimony is worthless.

If someone breached the scene the Gardai would not have covered it up, if they knew about it, as Foster claims. It would not have been a mistake so bad to be fired over and the stakes in a murder investigation are much higher than that.

Schull is full of rumours, Foster has picked up another one and run with it. I notice he is not talking so much about the wine bottle and watch these days either since those leads were debunked.

I think he is essentially unreliable, just adding noise and rumour to the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

Some claim the viewpoint where the Bantry Garda and Alfie are involved in the murder are mad conspiracy theories. Yet at the same time lap up the tripe, Nick Foster is peddling where somehow he has the AGS and IB on the same sides. Lunacy.

Not to mention the talk of IB contaminating the crime scene. If they found even the slightest bit of IBs DNA at the scene he'd be behind bars right now. Some people have completely lost the run of themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭flanna01

'A certain type for whom it is an innate belief that Irish people are backward'

Where do you pluck them from??

This statement was conjured up by yourself with zero supporting evidence.. A ridiculous statement to make.

because it's true. and i was not assaulted three times by a thug

• Advertisement

I would suggest to people who make it their business to go on about Ian Bailey's supposed violent nature that what we know about him was confined to something between himself and his partner and she was quite open about the fact that she wasn't completely innocent in all of it and that she forgave him

St.Ian is a thug whether he killed Sophie or not is my point. Regardless of any other abuse by priests -strawman- it does not chage that fact.And it is a a fact. On one occasion he tried to flee to the UK but was arrested at the airport https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-30021658.html

Just because he is one thing does not mean he is not something else. he may not have killed Sophie but he is no saint

The point is obvious. He is constantly made out to be someone who could turn murderously violent at the drop of a hat and it isn't true. He is guilty of the kind of domestic violence that, sadly, is almost a commonplace and as has been endlessly pointed out is no indication of propensity to murder or the jails would be bursting with people doing life sentences.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭flanna01

I have travelled back and over to England for the last 25yrs. My work takes me everywhere from Brixton to Scotland.. I have a good cross section of the natives mindset.

It may disappoint you, but Ireland is seen as a hub of superior education by the Brits (both north and south)

The backward paddy statement you refer to is simply not true. Can't tell me I'm wrong, because I know different.

I often wonder if the majority of Irish people really understand the British mentality with regards to Ireland??

When the conversation crops up (one I tend to steer away from if possible), most Brits couldn't give two hoots about Northern Ireland, nor do they want to keep funding it.. One contact in the north west of England, even refers to the Irish cleverly dumping the North onto the British tax payers... (All spoken in banter, but as you know, many a true thing said in jest)

He is constantly made out to be someone who could turn murderously violent at the drop of a hat and it isn't true.

How do you know it isn't true that he could turn murderously violent at the drop of a hat?

Jules might disagree. Jules has some responsibility too as someone said. She stayed with hima fter he hit her twice so he got a third opportuniity.

Being one of many who beat women does not make it less of a crime. And this thread is is about IB not the others so that is strawman argument

• Advertisement

You can be tiresome. "Jules might disagree"? She did. With people like you.

This is what she said in court in 2003. You can see her in the Jim Sheridan documentary making similar comments

"Ms Thomas, a Welsh-born artist, said there had been three incidents of violence with Mr Bailey. "The devil drink was the cause of it," she told Judge Patrick Moran. "It's like a temper flash," she said. "It's not something that goes on. It's always like it's two minutes and that's it."

She hit out at the way that domestic violence had been depicted. "I'm not sure why everything has to be blown out of proportion. There was a vast exaggeration of my eye," she said."

Now please don't do what others like to and suggest that the poor demented woman is inadvertently saying that he could in those moments of rage murder someone.

"It may disappoint you, but Ireland is seen as a hub of superior education by the Brits (both north and south)"

Yes I'm terribly disappointed, there's me thinking that not having an Irish University in the top 100 in the world when England has 4 in the top 10 would have implications.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭tibruit

Two minutes is all it takes unfortunately. If you are going to quote from court cases perhaps you should consider Bailey`s diary entries that were read to the court where he admitted to having a desire to murder Jules as he assaulted her.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭EdHoven

This thread is NOT about Ian Bailey. It is about the Sky TV show Murder At The Cottage.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭EdHoven

If you think your lip is attached to your gum you are an idiot.

If you want tire some look into the mirror

Why shouldn't i say youy last para.have you no answers. Just like you cannot answer Just like you cannot answer the questions how you know he would not turn suddenly violent

Your a bigger idiot that you cannot recall i said i do not care what you think. Does not bother me in the slightest so won't be responding you your teenage insults again

He any his thanks love only see what they want to see. St ians halo.jules may say something different today.she was defending him in the court as they were together.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭chooseusername

You are confident in his diary entries as being truthful 100%? Good;

"The gardai seized the diaries in February 1997, believing they might shed light on the killing of Sophie Toscan du Plantier (39).

They did no such thing. One of the few references to the killing suggests Bailey feared he might be framed.

He repeatedly wrote that he was innocent and that he couldn't understand why he was a suspect."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭chooseusername

"Essentially he is saying Gardai are pretending not to know Ian Bailey was at the scene because it would be embarrassing to them whilst Ian Bailey is pretending he wasn't at the scene because it would be incriminating."

He doesn't mention Ian Bailey by name but it's easy to see why some would assume it's Bailey he's talking about.

But I think he's hedging his bets now.

The way he sees it now is the Gardaí are not pretending, they don't actually know that Baily was at the scene because they did not see him.

What they do know is they allowed, or even invited a n other into the scene, who may have compromised it.

Foster has pored over a Guard's statement again and again until he convinced himself of this version of events.

That's the only way I can see it making any sense.

Unless you're talking about someone going into the house and cleaning up, this crime scene was uncleanable. All the same unless the killer was injured, or spat or sexually assaulted her there would be none of his DNA left behind, or if there was, it would be small amounts and easily missed. You don't need to create a scenario where the killer has to return to clean up.

I also don't believe killer would necessarily have to have been scratched. He or she used up to 3 weapons all of which with some reach, (though I am doubtful one was a hachet). So the killer could strike her without injuring him or herself. In his book Foster says the lower field was full of briars but it wasn't, it was grass and some rocks down to the gate, with a hedge around the perimeter and a gate at the bottom. My guess is that Sophie struggled along the gate and attempted to flee through the hedge being scratched in the process. At this stage she was struck multiple times on the head from behind. Thus incapacitated, the killer reached in and pulled her backwards, spinning her around to her right tearing open the leggings caught on the wire as she fell onto her back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dublin49

eh,this doesnt stand up ,he savagely beat his partner on 3 occasions(was it?) to the extent hospitalisation and stiches were required.To suggest these are the violent actions of a person who can control his temper is laughable ,also what study shows that people who inflict savage beatings on the partners are no more likely to murder than those that don't .I would have have thought the opposite was the case.

This mud slinging serves no purpose.

Bailey's diaries show remorse and astonishment that he could have done what he did, they were very serious assaults.

They don't prove guilt though and these assaults, violent as they were are pale in comparison with the attack meted on the victim. It was dozens of blows and took significant time to accomplish, much more than necessary to kill and seem to have involved a lengthy chase. Almost every blow was directed towards the head and face. So it can't have been random, it was someone that wanted to kill her specifically and did not relent until he or she was likely exhausted.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,282 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

If he can't control his temper at all why does he only seem to lose it living with Jules? His ex wife reported no issues, where's his charge sheet for assault and GBH in pubs when drunk?

What study shows that domestic abuse is an indicator of being more likely to murder someone? It's your conjecture, therefore it's up to you to prove it. Even if is an association, given the number of convictions for domestic abuse relative to murder (of someone not in a domestic situation) where the accused has no other convictions for assault... it's such a weak association it is neither necessary nor sufficient for a case against Bailey.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Well maybe he astonished himself one more time.Post assault remorse and astonishment suggest to me someone who has an uncontrollable temper.

I don't know if I go with the defence ,"I only beat those I am in a relationship with ,regularly."Also you first made the point there was no linkage between

domestic violence and murder,wheres your evidence for that.

Roy Keane broke someone's leg quite deliberately all captured on camera. Ian Bailey didn't break any bones so does that make Keane the more likely to commit murder?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,282 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Well, if he is so prone to go into violent rages... implying easily provoked... where is the evidence for this? He's drunk in pubs, seems to be an unpopular sort with the locals as an English blow in with 'notions' ... should have a list of incidents with police as long as your arm... but nope. It seems to be one particular person setting him off. His ex-wife reports no incidents. Of course, his conduct with Jules deservedly lead to conviction and is reprehensible. But what's the relevance?

I didn't first make that point, the thread is littered with comments trying to link the assault incidents with Jules as somehow being relevant to the Sophie murder. I'm challenging those peddling that narrative to back it up.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

apologies ,the post I was refering to(not yours) questioned the validity of linking domestic violence with murder ,now I don't have a report to hand to suggest there is a linkage although it would be my opinion that a sizeable number of spouses murdered by their partners had previously suffered domestic abuse from that same partner.But I did not state there was linkage ,I questioned Mamboozle's assertion that its accepted there is no linkage.

Its a matter of public record that Bailey is prone to violence.This suggestion that domestic violence is somehow different to any other act of violence

would IMO be torn asunder in a court of law.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement