Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metroid Dread

Options
15678911»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,353 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Metroid Dread - Early Survival Tips - Nintendo Switch

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Metroid Souls, this game is tough! I'm at the mid point I think. loving it though

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭walkonby

I’m very early in the game (don’t have morph ball yet) but despite loving Super Metroid and quite liking the Samus Returns remake this developer did on 3DS, so far I can only tolerate this one in very small doses. There are too many cutscenes and too much QTE type stuff.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,483 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

That's interesting. Not judging or playing the "well I found it easy, aren't I great" card ... but I did genuinely think it was one of the easier Metroidvania style games out there. Almost never got lost, and sometimes felt like I was being held by the nose; what do you find difficult about it if I don't mind me asking? Like I said, not sledging at all - just curious about other people's experiences 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭walkonby

Special mention to how crap a mechanic it is to have a super charged cannon which works long enough to kill one otherwise unkillable enemy, and then goes offline again.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yep really didn't find Dread all that difficult. It's about the same as Super Metroid. Bosses took 3 or 4 tries but were never that much of a road block. I think some people in the press think that a game daring to kill the player makes it the toughest game ever. Even at that the checkpoints are very lenient. The Emmi's aren't so bad when you start at most a minute away from your last death.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,103 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Time Magazine GOTY

Still have it to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

I'm at the last boss now and have completed all souls games plus Celeste, hollow knight and both Ori's but just found this more challenging than the last Metroid on 3ds. I guess the amount of bosses was a surprise. Never got stuck for long though. Great game in fairness!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I've never played a Metroid 2d game before and started playing this 2 days ago. Enjoying it but that first boss is a nightmare, i've put in over 50 attempts and i'm toast every time. The precision aiming needed for this boss fight just feels wonky using the joycons, just wondering would buying a pro controller make this alot easier.

Making the first boss in a game this difficult with precision controls/perfect aiming puts me off going much further. First boss in Dark Souls and Hallow Knight were not this tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭eggy81

Are you using the laser sight to aim.

hit head with rockets when he’s not cloaked and hit glowing stinger with normal fire when he’s cloaked. Learn to recognise his stinger attack.

Keep a cool head. I found that on my initial attempts at all the bosses I was running and jumping around like a headless chicken but what’s required is a much calmer approach, a little bit of learning the pattern of attack and each boss gives generous windows for huge damage once you recognise where they are.

• Advertisement

Finally finished this last night after leaving it alone for a few weeks. First Metroid game to play and I really enjoyed it. Great feeling of power in the latter stages. Felt great to be finally able to leave the emmi in the dust with the gravity suit after bricking it every time I saw them before.

latter bosses took me a good few tries to beat most of them. Well out of practice at this sort of game after years of fifa and cod and that sort of thing.

11 hours and 27 minutes. Moneys worth there😂

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Still playing Metroid Dread, after my initial struggle with the first boss the game felt like it opened up alot more and while there are very difficult boss and mini boss battles all along the way, none of them feel as intimidating as the first boss. Making good progress now and have just after beating the twin soldiers. Roughly 12 hours and 30 minutes of saved game time so far. Absolutely loving the game. For me this is probably up there with BOTW as best game on the Switch.

Top five tips for surviving Planet ZDR – Metroid Dread (Nintendo Switch)

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Xofpod

Picked up Dread at Xmas and just started playing. Indulged in a wry inward smile and sustained bout of smugness as I sailed past the first boss described with terror here, And then.... realised that was only the CPU, when I came up against the real b*stard.

Gave him a few goes and had to call it a night. First impression is that he's fairly tough but doesn't strike me as being in the same league as (and I know Metroid fans hate the comparison...) many Hollow Knight boss fights.

The staff at Mercury Steam have finally gotten their hands on the deserved award they won for Best Action/Adventure Game at The Game Awards back in December.

I was watching the current season of Young Sheldon on TV today, I was watching the credits and sometimes I read the vanity cards at the very end. Anyway, I see Chuck Lorre mentioned Metroid Dread. He says how he's nearing the final boss having started the game nearly 6 months ago. I thought it was a cool thing to see.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

For some reason I had put this down when I was about 75-80% through my first playthrough, so I've just come back to it to finish it off.

Man, some of the boss fights sure can go and explore some two-word activities involving sex and travel. I'm hard pressed to think of another Metroid game where the bosses have felt like such a blatantly cheap spike in difficulty (though it's not helped by frankly rubbish stuff like "use the grapple hook to destroy the boss's shield, but only at this split-second chance"). A shame, too, because when the game's not stepping on its own scrotum with QTEs or boss fights, it's pretty damn good.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,604 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

My fun reached a grinding halt with a daft late-ish game boss who just expected me to have better reflexes than I possess.

I will get back to it soon, if only because I seem to be developing some self-esteem again and who needs that, really?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I decided I was done with it for good over the weekend; the final boss (phase 1, at least) is built around a mechanism where you trigger what looks like a QTE/cinematic except it turns out you're supposed to keep shooting the entire time. With no visual indicator that you can do this, much less that it's what you're supposed to be doing. I got annoyed at that, looked up what else I should expect from the rest of the boss battle and decided I have better things to do with my time.

Honestly, the boss fights in this are such a complete clash with the rest of the game I'd almost assume they were developed by separate teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,103 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Has anybody, who was stuck on this, gone back on the rookie mode they added ? Doesn't appear to reduce the difficulty much it seems, from reading online.

I am not sure I'm even going to bother with the game if it has got stupid difficulty spikes.

Post edited by SuperBowserWorld on

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,604 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'm going to go back to it as soon as I am done with Metroid Prime Remastered, which shouldn't be too long now.

I got stuck on a ridiculous boss fight, just ended up quitting it and didn't go back.

I will give it another go, maybe Samus Returns on the 3DS as well, another one I didn't finish.

It’s not difficult imo. I finished it on normal and I’m by no means a gifted gamer. Every boss battle has a pattern to work out and once you work it out it’s almost a rhythm game to keep repeating the pattern rigidly until you win. Particularly the last couple.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,483 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I found Dread very simple, TBH, albeit in a very engaging way. I've definitely played much harder Metroidvania games with tougher spikes, particularly around its boss fights. Not a boast or attempt at a hot take, just found Dread so polished it never really had very pronounced peaks (or troughs!) of gameplay. It wasn't that more modern trend of Metroidvania to Souls'ify the thing.

Advertisement