Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

You keep saying that unvaccinated to unvaccinated but if omicron can bypass prior delta infection. Doesn't that mean that loads of the people who had delta/whatever are essentially unvaccinated against omicron. So would be relevant?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,414 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I don't know if there is but there is a huge difference in clinical mental health issues and celebrity inspired "issues" which amount little more than "I don't like this"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I think we need to question about what our motives are here?

Is it a situation where the amount of testing is actually causing the issues but not the virus?

The reason why lots of operations are being cancelled is due to non sick staff members getting a positive test.

Is the potential crisis to do with the virus or to do with our measures we are taking due to the virus?

These are now very real questions that need to be made.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JDD

A few questions for the boardsies:

1. Is there somewhere I can find figures on where recent outbreaks have occurred - i.e. in hospitality, gyms, household, work, whatever? I ask because I heard on the radio someone saying there was no transmission of covid recorded in pubs over the past three weeks. I caught covid in a pub three weeks ago, but was never asked either online or over the phone where I may have got it from.
    2. I am hoping to go to the UK on the 27th, returning on 2nd January. I know I need a professionally administered antigen test within 48 hours of returning. The only places doing them are certain pharmacies, like some Boots/Lloyds etc, I'm sort of scuppered as so many pharmacies are not doing them on New Years Eve/New Years Day, and we will be driving for 8 hours back to the boat on Sunday 2 January. If anyone knows anywhere in Cornwall that will be doing "fit to fly" antigen tests on 31 Dec/1 Jan I'd love to know where. Even somewhere in Bristol or Cardiff that might do them on 2 January would be helpful.
    3. I'm worried that a "professionally administered" antigen test will be more sensitive than a home taken antigen test and, similar to a PCR test, might lead to the some vestiges of my infection three weeks ago showing up in the results. How sensitive are the antigen test carried out in pharmacies? Am I going to be left in a situation where we have to drive to Scotland and get the boat to Belfast in order to get home? Should I just bloody cancel the holiday (for the 4th time)?

Thanks!

• Advertisement

I don't think you want a patient getting the virus in the post recovery phase if I'm honest. The problem will come when 10/20% of hospital staff test positive for covid when they test everybody in one day to check prevalence.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Shilock

I don't think that's a good idea locking down the unvaccinated and taking their livelihoods from them.

Would you not think of kid's who need a roof over their heads and their parents to be earning a few euro's.

I'm vaccinated myself but if I'm going to start villifying people who rightfully have a choice, I might as well say that people who don't contribute to society should be homeless or worse just left to fend for themselves.

Sure why stop there, shouldn't we start taxing social welfare and cut back on medical card's and scrap the doctor card too...

We live in a good society and we don't need people suggesting people should loose the right to work, feed themselves and their kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Which is bizarre, it is like they are pre planning shutting their wards

If the sick patients are triple vaxxed youd expect the risk to them is similar to what the risk was pre covid of catching flu, post surgery infection etc. Especially if the hospital staff take the needed precautions

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

We have had 660K cases. Assuming a reasonable confirmed case to undetected infection ratio of one to ten, wouldn't most of us have had it by now?

The NLF suspended their intensive testing regime because most of the positive cases (85%) simply weren't sick. These cases would rarely detected be in the wider community because asymptomatic people don't generally present for a test.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

UK once again in and around 90K, at 90,629 new cases.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,573 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

No, that isn't what you said. It directly contradicts what you said, you don't seem to register this?

To state that "The only increase in transmission they find is from unvacc -> unvacc" is simply untrue. It is not stated in the linked article, it is your misunderstanding of the article.

It's not a marginal difference. If you were vaccinated you were 63% less likely to pass on infection to an unvaccinated person you were living with than if you were unvaccinated. Do you realise what that means?

It's completely relevant as to why governments across Europe don't want unvaccinated mingling in high risk environments, and is the basis for covid pass systems. Whether it is 10% here or 30% in other countries, the unvaccinated are having a disproportionate impact on hospitals. So state they are not relevant is utterly without foundation no matter how many times you repeat it.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Apothic_Red

Saw that, looks like a plateau

That's about 7k cases day pro rata for us.

That 13k in Denmark must be down to their massive testing numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭ClaudeVercetti

Sorry if this is the wrong forum to ask - are many of ye keeping a low profile until Christmas day? I've cancelled a few things bar a lunch with the brother before Christmas, feels really sad to be doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭mollser

We all know the hospitals have minimal discharges over the weekends, and they spend most of Monday and Tuesday getting through them.

What's the deal at Christmas... is this issue exaggerated such that there's minimal discharges until 4th Jan? And is this a key reason as to why our hospitals are in a mess in January, I.e. it takes them that long to get on top of it?

Hopefully this will be monitored by a em journalist or something lol, covid will exaggerate and be blamed for this no doubt, but if that's the real reason for shutting down parts of society it's not great really tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Does anyone know if these accounts include income from state supports? Nothing mentioned about it here...

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭minitrue

For those who would actually like to read the relevant paragraph from the study in full and in order without floorpie's editing to omit mentioning the confounding factors and the actual effectiveness against transmission to vaccinated household contacts.

So ignoring the fact 12% is already higher that 11% there's also the pesky little fact that those crude figures are skewed by age and once that is corrected for the gap widens significantly to show a 40% vaccine effectiveness against transmission to the vaccinated along with the 63% when dealing with transmission to unvaccinated contacts.

I don't know about you but 40% let alone 63% is not marginal.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭MarkHenderson

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭bloopy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭robbiezero

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

That's going against all the data from SA, and Denmark. Isn't there something fishy about those Imperial reports anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

Wait period following infection for a booster shortened to 3 months now. Not sure how I feel about that one tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

Equally introducing a 5 day quarantine for triple vaxxed close contacts. We will be lucky if any healthcare staff can go back to work in January.

Again, absolutely no basis, just an arbitrary decision to keep doctors and nurses out for the best part of a week every time theyre in contact with a positive person (which will be often given they work in hospitals)

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

Yes they would have to declare those as income.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭bikeman1

According to the article

"The company last year received ‘other operating income’ of €917,093."

This would be the EWSS, CRSS, Government re-start grants, Failte Ireland grants and any other non-revenue income for the period. This was to the end of January 2021. You can be sure that the number has doubled since then as they would have had full trade in the 6 weeks up to Covid hitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,682 ✭✭✭brickster69

Why not, you took two without knowing if they were safe or not ?

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Manageable for them . Maybe Boris was right again . Or to word correctly. Maybe he will turn out right rolling the dice on something so serious for his own political survival. Sometimes it's better to be lucky ..

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Tom_Crean

Or is it testing maxing out and people not getting tested? I suppose their positivity rates might reveal.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭floorpie

Perhaps, I don't know. It'll take 6-9 months to write/publish a paper similar to the above using current data. We can check back next winter!

Advertisement