Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GDPR and Irish politics.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,114 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

You might have picked the wrong person to patronise there. I'm fairly familiar with Wordpress and Joomla, and they have little relevance here. If you want to build an online database application for canvassing, you're not going to start with Wordpress or Joomla. They add little value, just a layer of complexity. You're not going to host a database containing fairly sensitive personal data using Wordpress or Joomla. You're going to be thinking about Azure or AWS or something like that, with a commitment that they keep the data in the EU.

Bespoke is entirely relevant here. The first decision with any software application is the 'Make or Buy' decision - do I build a bespoke solution to meet my requirements, or do I purchase an off-the-shelf solution from someone who has done this before, In general, buying off the shelf is going to be much cheaper, as you're going to be sharing development costs with others. In this case, there is no off-the-shelf product for canvassing systems based on the Irish electoral register. There was a lad in Cork with an app for this about ten years ago maybe, but he seems to have gone away.

I didn't say that the Irish electoral register was a major problem in complexity. The problem is that there is no commercial product available that already does this. If you were in the UK or US, you'd have a choice of products, but the market here isn't big enough to sustain that. So you're definitely in bespoke territory.

While you're spending months on your ETL phase transforming data into the standardised format, those who know a bit about this area will be using the standard format already provided by local authorities to candidates and their parties.

I broadly agree with your comments about the SF solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

You were wrong. Wordpress and Joomla are database backed. They have replaced Dreamweaver as the web development tool of choice for web developers. They both use a default Wordpress or Joomla database schema for their backend databases. This makes it easy for people who know little about databases to deploy this software and have a working site in a very short time. It may appear that I was being patronising but I was not. The "bespoke database" phrase is just an attempt to make it understandable for the non-technical public as if it was a tailored suit.

Based on experience of, among other things, surveying hundreds of millions of websites and categorising their usage, ETL is rarely as simple as it seems even with a small dataset like the Irish electoral register. One of the main problems with the Irish electoral register is its quality. The name of the voter may not actually be the one that the voter uses (Irish version) or the address may not be accurate. Then there is the issue of accents and other character based problems. Assuming that the data and structure is clean, like those people who "know a bit" about ETL, is a great way to end up with a mess.

As for hosting on AWS or Azure, that's not necessarily a good thing when it comes to hosting sensitive data. A dedicated server in an Irish datacentre might be a better approach as it would be possible to maintain a greater level of control over the data and the tech support people would be in the same time zone.

Regards...jmcc

Beyond me how you guys keep trying to claim.its secret,when theres literally a report on it🤣🤣

And one that Varadkar didn't leak. :)

Regards...jmcc

Have to laugh,no matter how much you highlight the illogical nature (ie its not a secret),they just keep on doubling down and down in hope to wear out people......

the same people posting on a candian hosted message board,complaining political parties store data overseas.....you really couldnt ask for better example of cognitive dissonance,the pyschology and accepted reasoning,behind their point-of-view is fasinating

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,114 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Eh no, with all due respect, I'm not wrong. This isn't a website project. This is a database project, with online access. The absolute last thing you want with a project like this, with a database with millions of rows and sensitive data, is to have 'people who know little about databases' thinking that they know how to build online systems like this. This would be a web application with a secure back-end database. You're going to need a good database designer, you're going to need a networks expert to ensure secure connectivity, you're going to need some UI experts to make it usable on the doorstep and in the office. And you're not going to start with Joomla or Wordpress.

Bespoke is an entirely accurate and industry standard term for a project like this. It is, in effect, like a tailored suit - designed to suit the client's internal processes and needs.

There are indeed many data quality issues with the electoral register. The problem is that you don't own the data. You can put years of work into cleaning the data, and when the register is updated, you're back to the original data with all its faults. This isn't a one-off data import process. You need to work with the original register each time it is updated, each year or two. There is also a particular challenge with the register that there is no unique ID number for each person. So if Andrew Renko (Snr) dies and drops off the register and Andrew Renko (Jnr) turns 18 and joins the register, you're not going to know the difference.

Government data policy is 'Cloud First' for anything other than the most sensitive data. There is no reason not to consider Cloud for something like this.

It was amazing to see how many of them became instant experts on IP addresses, domain names, databases, webhosting and GDPR. The articles in the Sindo/Indo were extremely funny because they were using buzzwords, much like some posters, without understanding what they meant. Why the Sindo/Indo kept quoting that FG senator is a mystery. In terms of credibility, the pro-FG hit pieces caused more problems for FF, FG and other parties as the sites of individual politicians had to be reviewed. There were no sanctions or fines for SF and FGers still seem to be treating this as a success eventhough some of their own sites were not GDPR compliant and were using a rather iffy Facebook tracking pixel to track vistors to its site.

Regards...jmcc

You were wrong. You are still wrong. Wordpress and Joomla each have their own default database schema that installed as part of the installation process. They are database backed CMSes. This makes them different from CMSes that use static files to store content. Not knowing that they were database backed CMSes with their own default database schema, rather than just software, and yet claiming to have some familiarity with them does raise some questions about whether you understood the point that was being made. The point was that term "bespoke database" was being used in a rather self-aggrandising manner to differentiate it from more common stuff like Wordpress or Joomla. Most with a webdev background seem to be commenting on the basis of their familiarity with small database backed projects that may have used Wordpress or Joomla. I'm not sure what that FG schoolteacher/senator quoted in the Sindo/Indo was basing his comments upon but they did not display any understanding of domain names, databases or hosting.

The Irish electoral register is quite a small dataset though 'small' may be a matter of perspective. The way that updated data sources are generally handled is that a delta is created to identify the records that have changed between datasets. This approach, rather than than reinventing the wheel, is a more effective one and works unless the complete structure and data itself changes between updates.

It would be possible to correlate that data with other sources to maintain a relatively accurate profile for each household. I am not sure of the register still uses 'Snr' and 'Jnr' to differentiate between members of the same family. However, that multiple source approach would be more data-intensive and may actually cause GDPR issues.

The main arguments against using Cloud services for such a system would be security of the data and control over the data. Employing fulltime database developers and network security engineers may be a bit expensive even for well funded parties. Cloud services are not some silver bullet solution. I suppose that I could check the number of .COM websites using AWS or Azure quite easily but there are more websites running on dedicated and shared hosting than on Cloud services like AWS and Azure.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Its obvious that you are spoofing and know very little about Databases.

WordPress or Joomla is the web-facing front end of the stack, while the database itself is more than likely a MySQL instance hosted probably in the cloud or hell, you can even host it locally as a docker container.

The database is where this data is stored, in a relational database format, so it's usable and searchable.. there are 1001 ways to perform queries on it. Sure you can even link an excel sheet to it, no need for another layer like WordPress.

In relation to GDPR and the DPC, they don't care about the CMS side of things but do care about the data inside the database, hence why an entire chapter was dedicated to SF and its handling of this data.

Its real bottom of the barrell stuff,that requires a suspension of reality to justify their point-of-view as its not a secret,no matter how much its claimed it is

Its a bit like rugby,when ya see buzzwords and hype as an integral part,its a right sign theres no substance to it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

..... after it was exposed. Again, the DPC was clear on this, that no one was aware of this database, not even the DPC.

They literally wrote a report on it.....no matter how much you goys try and spin and double down on it.....im afraid its not a secret,from what i see anyway

It is obvious that you are just trolling and are very upset since the DPC didn't sanction or fine Sinn Fein. Wordpress and Joomla each use a database to store their data. They are database backed content management systems. Perhaps you can ask Andrew to explain it to you. The most installations don't change the default database schema. They make it easy to for people to build simple CMS websites.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 15,441 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Well I had no idea SF had data recorded on me until I logged a request after this news broke so it was a secret. Not once did I give consent to have this data recorded. Glad it was highlighted by the media.

When I got the report back they had my records which I have asked now twice for them to delete but still waiting.

Did you supply them with the necessary proof that they needed to delete the record?

Regards...jmcc

Its not a secret now though....as its well known?

To my eyes a secret is something noone else knows exists...lads creaming emselves over a chapter of a report being dedicated to a database,while simutaneously claiming it to be a secret,are suffering from cognative dissonance to level that,is hard to believe

Like the old statement we all learnt in school....theres only 1 way 3 people can keep a secret,if 2 of em are dead

Yes that is how I got the report back via GDPR.

It was a secret at the time though wasn't it? That's why it was exposed. You can see the dates in the correspondence from April 2021.

So ask them to confirm that they have deleted your record as they may have just deleted it without following up. That reply requested some information to confirm your identity which is something that, I think, that they have to do according to the legislation.

Regards...jmcc

Its not secret now though....to refer to it now,as secret,when entire chapters in reports about it,is surely at best a mis-representation and worst a mild form of sophistory??

I dont doubt for 1 second the validness/truth of yous correspondance,have seen similar screenshots elsewhere.......

just feel entire discourse on range of subjects is too loose and fast with truth to point of being misinfo...and alienating to general public(not a pop at yous personally)

• Advertisement

I have sent a follow up. The first reply was that they had no reason to delete the data. Hopefully this report might have changed their tune.

I never once said it is a secret now. I was saying it was when it was exposed it was a secret to me and acted on it. Hopefully the report now can get me delisted from the system.

This seems to be one of the wonders of the GDPR legislation. You have to prove who you are so that information can be deleted. They seem to be following the legislation.

Regards...jmcc

Which I previously stated I provided to get the report and submit the request to get my information delisted from this database.

Tbf yous voting intentions should been deleted long ago when requested....

Complete sidenote i know.....it'll be 30 years next year since sheena campbell (woman who devised the torren stragedy,of which the sliding scale database is based on) was murdered.....id have liked to seen her name linked to it and acknowledged properly......feel shinners dont commerate their ordinary members who got killed enough

Perhaps they deleted that too. It would be best to follow up directly with them and ensure that they have deleted the data.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 69,156 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Just because you didn't 'know about it' doesn't mean it was a 'secret'.

SF had a database, the Indo wrote about it. If it was a secret why would they publish booklets on how to use it...the ery thing the ouno used to write about it.

Guys just love their buzzwords.

Complete sidenote i know.

WTF has this got to do with the thread? The goalposts are now in the car park.

Glad you agree though that the information SF recorded against me in a secret database without my knowledge should be deleted.

• Advertisement

Not anymore yes you are correct thankfully. Back then it was. Not sure why you are struggling to understand this.

Advertisement