Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,682 ✭✭✭brickster69

Good point testing is down 100K today compared to yesterday. Up 2 million on last week like.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Tom_Crean

UK deaths up very slightly to my untrained eye. At 172. For 2 months they tended to average 150. Might be a daily thing and still delta related, more than likely. One thing to watch.

Not me. Behaving just as normal (albeit have to consider where to go in the evenings after 8)

got to Dublin for Christmas yesterday and it’s jarring having to leave at 8

• Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭floorpie

You said:

The findings show a secondary infection rate of 13% from a vaccinated index case to unvaccinated contacts versus a 22% secondary infection rate from an unvaccinated index case to unvaccinated contacts.

and

To state that "The only increase in transmission they find is from unvacc -> unvacc" is simply untrue. It is not stated in the linked article, it is your misunderstanding of the article.

It is stated in the article, and you also stated it

If you were vaccinated you were 63% less likely to pass on infection to an unvaccinated person you were living with than if you were unvaccinated.

Right, like I said, they ONLY show increased transmission from unvacc -> unvacc.

The back benchers or the data? That is the question. A conflicting imperial college survey saying omicron as severe as other variants.

Or just realism. People will meet at Christmas regardless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,583 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Did you read this bit?

......they see "no evidence of Omicron having lower severity than Delta, judged by either the proportion of people testing positive who report symptoms, or by the proportion of cases seeking hospital care after infection."

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

Watching the weather models and forum here. Still a chance of snowfall late Christmas night into Stephen's Day and the period between Christmas and New Year.

Outdoor snowball fights after 8pm would be healthy and fun, after coming from the pub 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭sekond

I am. But only because we have my elderly vulnerable mother coming to us for Christmas Day. So I'm keeping things quiet until then - both from not wanting to pass anything on to her, but also that if we were contagious/isolating etc, she'd be spending the Christmas alone. I'm lucky enough to work from home, so since last weekend, I'm just going out for shopping etc. I'll keep the social events for after Christmas.

Just got a negative covid test back. Have sore throat, chest infection and headache.

Relieved. I can enjoy Christmas.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

5,279 new cases.

Seems pretty stable.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,573 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Nope, it is not stated in the article. Or stated by me. You continue to repeat your misunderstanding. Multiple posters have pointed this out to you. You need to go away and re-read the article. Because you are falsely representing its declared results and findings.

Do you understand what "vaccinated index case" means?

You simply have not understood the excerpted sentences or the article if you continue to repeat the error that "the only increase in transmission they find is from unvacc -> unvacc".

This is a fiction you have invented and continue to double down on, in spite of the contradiction in black and white contradicting you.

In the previous post I asked you: "If you were vaccinated you were 63% less likely to pass on infection to an unvaccinated person you were living with than if you were unvaccinated. Do you realise what that means?"

Come back to us when you do.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Considering the bad luck your namesake had i wouldn't count your chickens, 😂 have a good Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,681 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

5,279 new cases, Omi the dominant now

My, layman's guess, for the coming months would be the following.

After the Christmas break, around 27/28 December, there'll be some 'concern' at high case figures. I think towards 10th January hospitalisations will peak around 800 patients. ICU around 170. Last year our deaths were around 50 a day average. Given vaccinations etc I sincerely hope later January will see peak deaths of 15 a day. Currently we're around 7 people.

Schools will close until February, most will WFH. I think the current restrictions on hospitality will lift on 30 January. I expect February to see vast improvement in hospitalisations and ICU. Much quicker than last year. I expect by 1 March we will live as we did in September this year and covid will drift from centre stage in our lives. We will have our best year since 2019 but will run into some seasonal covid problems, come November, lesser than 2020 and 2021. I think by mid February the worst of the wave and pandemic will be past. Hopefully we can return to our lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,681 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Fair play to him.

When everyone around is loosing their minds, its important to keep yours.

He may well yet again have played a trump card by staying open.

"If not now,when?" could very well go down as one of the quotes of all time, he opened up months ago, and he's keeping them open, while our weak, pathetic leaders keep us shut.

Boris wouldn't be long sorting NPHET, I'm sure of that

Thanks! You too and family. Enjoy it.

Oh I got home out of the Antarctic...after a lot of hassle!

Honestly have you not learned anything yet ? At least ten times people have been saying the same thing and yet still the same thing keeps happening. Nothing will change until at least they reach 2 years of restrictions possibly 3 just to make sure.

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 18,485 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Imagine that, waiting for evidence before destroying peoples lives.

Meanwhile in Ireland Leo has stated that the pre-emptive restrictions they imposed will not be reviewed before the end of January, no matter what happens.

The worst part is that if hospitalisations continue to fall and Omicron proves to be a wet fart, the NPHET government will face zero consequences for their continued cowardice.

• Advertisement

That's good news, still sounds like a nasty dose, hope you shift it by christmas... now that you know it's not covid - maybe see if you can set up a call with your GP to get a script for antibiotics in case it lingers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Kalyke

Fair play to him?? The guy is a clown. He is damaging his country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭floorpie

Do you understand what "vaccinated index case" means?

Do you?!

In the previous post I asked you: "If you were vaccinated you were 63% less likely to pass on infection to an unvaccinated person you were living with than if you were unvaccinated. Do you realise what that means?"

You seem not to realise that you keep pointing out that transmission is higher only for unvaccinated -> unvaccinated, repeatedly, which is what I've said from the start. I'm not sure what point you're trying to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Spiderman0081

Last time they locked down too late it cost thousands of lives... it's a gamble and Boris might get lucky, but it could easily backfire like last time and lead to hundreds of deaths which could be avoided if they realise too late Omicron is severe. But it's Boris, if anyone can survive that, he can. He already has once!

Thank you. I'm on antibiotics and steroids. Hopefully I'll be flying for Saturday 🙂

Have a very happy Christmas.

Here's my layman's guess for the following months

After Christmas, when hospital numbers remain static due to the triple vaccinated occupants, NPHET will put a date on the reopening plan as opposed to a hospital figure, like they have always done.

They will have a "review" in early May, with a plan for hospitality to extend its opening hours to 10pm on June 29th, (that's if its open at all).

On July 14th, after an interview on RTE with Sam Mconkey about an outbreak of the Sigma variant on a chicken farm in Monaghan, NPHET will recommend a further 2 week delay to monitor case numbers in Egypt (who won't have any restrictions).

Michael Martin will debate in the Dail about which year would be best to give us the extra bank holiday, initially scheduled for January next.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭brookers

A good few bugs doing the rounds, I think I am allergic to the Christmas tree, watery itchy eyes, runny nose, dry cough

You've just spent all day debating the merits of the vaccine.

But now you think this wave will be just like the last in the UK despite millions vaccinated?

Something doesn't add up

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

There is not a hope in hell hospitality would reopen the same time as the schools

Advertisement