Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House getting Rewired Suggestions welcome & router suggestions

Options
  • 03-12-2021 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭

Ok getting the house rewired and asking Sparks to Hardwire the house for BB in each room

Currently have the VN hub in modem mode and have TL link Archer c9 but want to upgrade this when all done

Anything I should be requesting Sparks to do when rewiring , and any suggestions for new modem that will take in a lot of wifi around the house ie heating,lighting, alexa etc

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭PureIsle

Do not skimp on ethernet outlets, and make sure they are all properly tested before the job is signed off and paid for.

Make sure he uses properly specified cable.

You really do not want to be redoing it afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Thanks yeah will test everything

Anyone got suggestions for which router to purchase for all the home automation around home

• Registered Users Posts: 13,991 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Think of wifi like a radio playing music. You want to place them around the house so you can hear them. But not so many that its too much noise.

In my house all I really needed was a access point in the ceiling of the landing and one in the kitchen and my house is covered for everything. I've about 30 active devices but in reality its never more then 2 or 3 actually doing anything.

If it was me now, I would pick up a UDR-EU-EA in the kitchen and 1 or 2 U6-Lites totaling 200-300 quid. That wifi router will run/power and manage up to 2 access points. I'd run 2 cables to each location(in case one gets damaged), to a AP upstairs in the landing, to 3 locations(TV's) and otherwise I wouldn't bother to wire anything else. Where you choose to run them all too, make sure its covered as cables start to get real messy past 2.

You can wire tons of cables, pick up a switch etc, but its a waste of money and time. Good distributed wireless is the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

I would say "good distributed wireless" is already now, with emphasis on "has to be good distributed". Hardwired, not WiFi mesh, as opportunity is present.

Have installed Aruba's on few sites, in attic space - superior signal spread, especially where concrete block partition walls, even around the house.

Will mention CCTV cam points

Better looking at it than for it.

Thanks some of the Tech wording gone above my head but think I get your drift

Okay I have access point in front room that serves a tv and nvidia shield. I have hardwired into office that serves work pc. However I want another point to serve spare tv and second shield in office. I have a 5 port ethernet network switch that I want to put into office so can use this for desktop tv and shield. I also have TP link wifi extender I use in the office for wifi on the phone which is ok

I want to put a point in the kids room so they can hardwire laptop and pc. Also may have one in the kitchen as OH works from home at times and would like the option of hardwiring laptop.

Anywhere else I can use wifi. I have the virgin modem bridged and using the Archer as it gets better wifi signals around the house. I want to do this again when house is rewired. I was looking at purchasing a Orbi mesh (2 initially) and put one upstairs and use this as main modem to replace the archer but not sure if overkill

House is getting renovated so not sure when sparks will be in but want to communicate to them what we want so any tips appreciated and is orbi overkill or just stick with Archer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 William_Flynn

For the ethernet cable don't use cat 5e but use cat 6 (or above), as this will allow you to upgrade to over 1G in the future.

Also suggest running a couple ethernet to the attic, you may want to put exterior security cameras or do an attic conversion some stage in the future. Having cables already in place will save on expense and damaging the decoration elsewhere in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭In the wind

I would watch out for unnecessarily long excess cable. For example a 10 metre run is not using a 30 metre cable because 1 it's expensive & 2 the speed will degrade over the excess 20 metres.

He should buy the right length cables for the run or alternatively cut & terminate them to size.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭maurice1

Wifi has come along a long way in recent years.

In 1998 I put in 2 x 25mm PVC conduit tubing from my attic to Living room TV on the side of chimney breast, so straight the whole way up.

They used to have the aerial coax in them, then changed to satellite cable, now changed to CatV.

SO My advice is make sure he uses 25mm round tubing so you can change wires easily as technology improves, without redecorating.

I wired CatV to every room but it has never been used except for

3x TV + Kodi + Satellite box

1x Router to Access point

1x Emonpi Smart meter

2x Alarm Panel

4x Cameras

3x Internet radios

1x IP phone (Landline Blueface)

The other thing I would do is ask for neutral wires at switches as this allows for sonoff type switches to be installed in the future.

Bear in mind that adding switches around the house all take current 24/7. This adds up in a year.

I used 1 24 port switch which everything is wired back to it.

I also made a 4 x 13A powerbar which is powered when the 5v from the TV USB is on, therefore the unnecessary TV peripherals are powered off when the TV turns off.

Electricity is getting dearer!

Perhaps Electric car charger ?

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

The attic run has proven super useful in my case. I ran 2x Cat6 cables up there and I'm using them both. I have a 4G mobile broadband router up there where the signal is strongest as my secondary ISP, and my primary ISP (until NBI arrive) is a WISP. Both of them connect to a Dual-WAN router in the attic which is then hooked up to the LAN via the attic connection. Have at least 2xCat6 and plenty of provision for power sockets nearby also (My camera DVR, Aerial Signal Booster, and Wifi Access Point all in the attic also)

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Waesfjord

how suitable is an unconverted attic for setting up hub - are temperatures suitable (Cold in winter, hot in summer)?

• Advertisement

In Ireland generally the temps are within the operating range of the device. Check the specs for each device you plan to have up there. I've been running the great up there for ~4 years now without issue. Spiders are a bigger problem 😀

Thanks for the replies

Need to speak to the sparks on the options

However did ask them for Ethernet access points in most rooms. However how would it work. I have the virgin router downstairs and it was bridged and was using a TP link as main modem. However I want to upgrade this and was looking at ones with plenty of ethernet ports.

With the full wiring of the house would each ethernet plug require a separate wire down to the router or are they all linked

We stream a lot an don't game but that will change in the future when kids get older so what would be the best router to get.

Every ethernet port needs its own cable. You'd usually bring all of these back to a patch panel and switch, then you'd plug the router into the switch.

How many ethernet ports are you planning? Most routers will be limited to 4 ethernet connections....

About 5 in total. So main one where router will be one in kitchen and office and 3 upstairs.

The office one I need good Internet. I was thinking of possibly getting a switch say like https://www.tp-link.com/uk/service-provider/smart-switch/tl-sg2210p/

Bring wires down into this then one from the switch to router

Not sure if I connect office cable directly to the router

Also looking for a new router that is WiFi 6 compatible

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

Regardless Cat5e cable you using or Cat6 make sure it is solid copper , not CCA.

CCA hardly a good option for PoE devices unless you want a set house on fire of course.

Will speak to Sparks about this

Any suggestions for a new router? Usually go with the TP Link and have wifi extender same brand so one app could do all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

You could keep ISP router ( wireless off) just add 1 or 2 wireless APs from Aruba ( preferred) or Ubiquity.

Had the Virgin router and it was awful so bridged it and got a TP Link Archer which is aged now

Was looking at TP Link Archer Ax6000 gets good reviews

Aruba was something I was looking at but don't want to start putting them around house yet as it may not go with the 'Decor' ha ha

Currently have TP link wifi extender so might use it with this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

When you say wifi extender, I am assuming you mean a wifi repeater ?

If you are doing a renovation/rewire it's should be done with the aim of removing all and any wifi repeaters imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,045 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Absolutely pointless this day and age, less and less items actually have ethernet ports now. As somebody has already said a decent mesh system will be perfect. Whether we like it or not wireless is the way it's going.

• Advertisement

I guarantee you none of those ports will be used. Are you having wireless problems at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭OU812

Recently rewired & put a double port in every room upstairs (actually put one on the landing & one under the stairs too - no idea what they'll be used for/if they'll be used, but had the flexibility to do it so did, the relative cost is minuscule).

Downstairs, I have a double in the kitchen (mesh unit attached as it gets very bad signal there. This is just a double RJ45 attached to a surface box sitting on tip of the cabinets. In the dining room I have a double, in the office I have a double (should have put four here), in the living room, I have four each end of the room for AV equip, one set is the old one & one set is the new where the AV is now. Probably won't use the old set again, but it's there so we left it. Attic room has four, there was two but the kid up there decided they want their desk in a different place so I added another two while the work was going on.

These are all connected to a 24 port switch. I really need another six ports so m using a mini switch plugged in, not ideal, but I'll fix it soon.

I used CAT5E. probably should have gone for higher but the ground floor & switch were already wired for this & I didn't want to have to re-do.

Put at least a double in each room you have, you may NEVER use it, but the cost is reasonable enough to build in the future proofing now.

Don't envy you doing the rewire BTW, horrible job.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭OU812

Also, as part of the rewire, get them to run a cable for an EV. Don't have to connect it each end, but having the cable there will be a huge help in the future if you ever nee/want one.

I'm afraid I really really have to disagree. The approach should be wireless for mobile or handled devices but always always go wired for fixed devices and particularly video streaming devices.

Offload as much data as you can off off your wifi network.

Also, always go wired for security related devices such as cctv cameras.

Did a walk through with the spark. Upstairs getting 2 ethernet points as anything that can be hardwired prefer it.

One ethernet downstairs in kitchen, if 2 of us wfh, overkill maybe. Other ethernet in office.

Cat 6 cable been used. Have ring doorbell and ring floodlight out the back numerous hue lights and alexa around the house. Try to leave wireless for these.

WiFi ok in the house using Archer c8 router reached most places except office. Looking to buy Archer ax6000 so have WiFi 6

Double plug in each room some with USB ports and wired for outside plug for eV if we get one in the future

Was using a TP-Link RE650 AC2600 Universal Dual Band Range Extender, Broadband/Wi-Fi Extender in office for WiFi previously. Going to use network switch here in office for nvidia shield and tv

Also have switch where all the cat 6 cables lead to and connect them to this and then one wire to the router

I'm not going to argue with you I was a fiend for wiring as much as I could too but more and more items don't even have an wired port anymore and for relatively small money and little hassle it's easy to build a rock solid wireless network nowadays. I have a switch with the two sky boxes wired to it, the two TV's use their onboard wireless cards and there's never a problem with any of them.

Your particular circumstance may mean that you have had any noticeable issues to date, as I said, wired is always better, more reliable, stable and secure. I say that as someone who makes a living from wireless networks.

Offloading as much data from your wireless network is the absolute best approach all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,991 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

As somebody who designs Wifi only offices, your attitude will either change or you will be left in the dust.

One or two simple Wifi5 AP's can provide more then enough bandwidth for entire households. While I would prefer them to be cabled, mesh has evolved into a suitable alternative for home use.

Perhaps you could highlight in my post the specific points that I am incorrect with ?

• Advertisement

I have to agree, wireless has come on in leaps and bounds in the last few years. For the first time ever I'm only using the ISP provided router, digiwebs fritzbox, a great little router.

Advertisement