Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

E400d Coupe (W213)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭Casati

Beautiful car and certainly one that will be very rare. I don't have personal experience of the 400d but the older 6 Cylinder Merc Diesel was a super engine. As your planning to keep for 10 years then the likely high depreciation won't be a big concern.

Buying in N Ireland seems to come with a massive premium. In your shoes I would be tempted to go across the water and buy a less than 3 year old such as this one for circa £35k - assuming the budget will go that far.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202111169628827?model=E%20Class&make=Mercedes-Benz&body-type=Coupe&radius=1500&sort=price-asc&onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=Used&include-delivery-option=on&fuel-type=Diesel&year-from=2018&min-engine-power=300&advertising-location=at_cars&postcode=n87ex&page=1

Assuming this car is VAT qualifying you can buy it ex VAT for export from UK, and if less than 3 years old you can get around not paying the import duty. The VRT on these cars doesn't seem massively high - that 191 would probably be 12k/ 13k

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭rodge123

Oh I didn’t realise you could avoid the import duty if less than 3 years old, how does that work?

As for getting it ex vat, what does that mean and are there many? does the Uk dealer take that off the price that I pay or would I have to pay full price and claim it back from UK gov? What’s it worth percentage wise?

Lets say I could get one ex vat and avoid import duty - a £40k one translates to €47K plus say €13K VRT…total €60k or am I missing something? (Subtract Uk vat of ?? And add Irish vat of 23%)?

if right, then would have far more options assuming a few pop up that are ex vat.

As for the one you linked, I’m dead set on having the burmister system in it and have a preference for the night package and turbine alloys (would normally think all the dechroming looks a little boy racer but this E400d pulls it off!) 😄

Returned Goods Relief can be applied for cars made in the EU returning to the EU within a 3 year period. Irish dealers are using this all the time.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/customs-traders-and-agents/documents/returned-goods-relief-and-movement-of-vehicles.pdf

Many (higher end) cars in GB are bought as company cars or leased, privately and via businesses. These cars are then sold on as 'vat qualifying' which means VAT of 20% can be reclaimed if the car is bought by another business/ trader. If the car is exported a GB dealer is also obliged not to charge VAT on export - to do so can see them in trouble with HM. You do not have to be an Irish Vat registered business to buy a car vat free for export- regardless of what many traders on boards will tell you. Also you don't claim it off HM after the sale - it simply should not be applied to the sale price.

You might have a bigger issue finding a car in the exact spec you want, but if you find one that is VAT qualifying for £40k then the maths are:

£40k / 1.20 = £33,333 = €39,100

Delivery to Ireland - say €400 so total is €39,500

VAT on arrival in Ireland is due @ 23% = €48585

VRT might be more like €15000 so total is €63585. Not cheap by any stretch but obviously versus the new price here it isn't half bad.

You'd want to add in a couple of hundred for somebody to do the customs clearance for you at port.

Very interesting, thanks for the link on import exceptions. Seems fairly clear in the document.

When you mean pay somebody to do the customs clearance for me at the port, do you mean for them to gather all the required info from me/dealer/manaufuter that is mentioned in the link you provided? (And for them to compile it all as required by customs)

I asked the question in the buying and selling from UK thread but maybe you’ll know here. The MB UK site tells you the status of previous owner.

It mentions owners as “ex-private owner”, “ex mbuk employee”, “ex-lease” and think may have seen “ex-demo” too.

Would ex-lease, ex-mbuk and ex-demo all be possible to claim vat back on?

Sounds like maybe I just need to email them if interested in a car and ask them if it’s ex vat ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Gerry T

That is interesting.

If the car is brought in by a business, do you know if the Irish VAT can be reclaimed ?

• Advertisement

Don't think so, but BIK would kill you though as it would be based on the 100k+ new price of the car

The term is 'vat qualifying' and yeah you'd need to call to confirm but I'd guess most ex lease, ex Merc UK are vat qualifying.

Ex demo not generally vat qualifying but think it depends on how they finance it - I bought an ex demo Volvo that was Vat Qualifying mind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

electric is BIK free at the moment I think

Both the EQS and EQE are horrifically ugly in my opinion.

If it’s a sign of things to come with MB and Electric cars, then the E400d will be my first and last MB when it comes to buying Electric in number of years! 😂

Audi Etron GT, Taycan..now they are stunning and the i4 very nice too in the darker Color’s to disguise it bugs bunny grille!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

Funny alright .. I hate the look of the new Ioniq 5 that everyone raves about.. but sure its all subjective

I've just come from an E-Class coupe ( 5 years ) and I actually like the new EQS/E shapes

EQE

Eclass coupe

Post edited by celtic_oz on

• Advertisement

Just looking at the VRT calculation again and would be a little concerned about using the 13k estimate it’s giving me currently as my rough guide price.

Thats based on picking the “E400d 4Matic Prem+ 4 door saloon” which revenue put a OSMP of €82k on.

I imagine they will have to calculate the “E400d 4Matic Prem+ 2 door coupe” from scratch seen as not listed as option.

They provide this form to help you calculate the OSMP and likely VRT:

I’m unsure how they are coming to the OSMP of 82k for the saloon when it sells for €100k in Ireland vs £56k in UK. Getting a ratio of 1.5 when converting the Sterling to euro and diving the Irish price by UK price 100k/63k results in OSMP of €100k which would add nearly 4k more onto their 13k VRT calculation when you take the 45% depreciate off and apply 31% vrt rate.

Apply same rules to the coupe, which sells for €113k here and £62k in UK, I’m getting around €20k VRT bill!

Maybe I’m calculating the ratio incorrectly?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

A6 etron, while still a concept but expected to look very very similar when production starts, is an absolutely beautiful looking thing. It will surely be a pricey beast though.

As for the merc and BMW, I'm just glad they exist and are available so it's not all just copy and paste SUV styles available.

Yeah all fair points.

Would imagine if BMW can sell i4 for base price of 63k then their base 5 series electric equivalent wouldn’t be too much dearer you’d think…say base price 70-75k.

Therefore Audi would want to be careful they don’t overprice the A6 etron…..possible wishfully thinking on my behalf! 😂

Was thinking might replace current Diesel A6 with whatever version of A6 etron is available in 7 - 10 years (solid state batteries at that stage I’d imagine). Plan to get plenty mileage out of it before replacing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

I've a diesel a6, 2014, 115000 kms, and I was mad to change it up to this year for either a 530e or new model a6 phev until prices went nuts. Looked at the current range of full electrics available and nothing really floats my boat until I saw a6 etron. I'm happy too to keep my current car for another 4 to 5 years now all going well and I'll defo be looking a6 etron at that stage.

Advertisement