Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M6 - Galway City Ring Road [planning decision pending]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Aontachtoir

Building the Ring Road is fully compatible with the overall lowering of emissions at a national level, especially as EVs take over - commitments in one area can be balanced against others. Besides, the more radical public transport interventions in Galway that the Ring Road will enable are also key to reducing emissions.

The country did not give a majority to parties that said "we will lower emissions by scrapping the Galway Ring Road." It voted for a government that said "we will lower emissions and we will build the Galway Ring Road."

Building the Ring Road is fully compatible with the overall lowering of emissions at a national level, especially as EVs take over

Not according to the planning documents or ABP which stated quite the opposite in their approval decision

Also, switching to EV's reduces tailpipe emissions, but does not make much of a difference to particulate matter

That switch will also do nothing to fix congestion

• Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Schools and hospitals isn't a like for like comparison, everybody benefits from them unlike this road were it will only be available for the privileged few who can afford to buy and run a car and it will only further contribute to more unsustainable sprawl.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Spiaire

So, if you have a heart transplant in Cork, and a donor organ in Limerick, are you saying that a new M20 would not make sense, for example?

Or goods to the shops; if it costs more diesel and takes longer to get there, YOU and I end up paying more.

Really? ABP and the planning documents said that building the Galway Ring Road will make it impossible for the government to reduce emissions at a nationwide level? That doesn't sound right. Could you quote the relevant parts of the documents?

@McGrath5 Everyone benefits from roads. They're literally how we get from A to B, no matter what mode of transport you use. If you're worried about the affordability of cars (and I agree with you that cars are too expensive), we could always cut vehicle taxes and slash petrol duties. That should make driving much more affordable.

• Advertisement

Really? ABP and the planning documents said that building the Galway Ring Road will make it impossible for the government to reduce emissions at a nationwide level? That doesn't sound right. Could you quote the relevant parts of the documents?

Thats a very specific goalpost you decided to move lol.

What they did state was this

An Bord Pleanála, in its decision, said the proposed road development is “likely to result in a significant negative impact on carbon emissions and climate that will not be fully mitigated”.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

Also, switching to EV's reduces tailpipe emissions, but does not make much of a difference to particulate matter

Okay, this is something people say a lot, but it’s one of those “facts” that has only repetition to back it up. In truth, EVs produce around 5~6% of the amount of particulate matter compared to ICE vehicles. I think the confusion is from a study in 2018 that said that once exhaust emissions were elimitated that non-exhaust emissions would become the dominant source from road transport.

90%+ of all particulate emissions from motor cars come from out of the exhaust pipe. Take away a combustion engine from a car and you’ve immediately taken away 90% of the total particulate emissions, all else being equal... which it isn’t.

One big difference is brakes. ICE cars use friction braking at all speeds, which produces significant amount of brake-dust. Brake-dust particles are produced in greatest quantities at higher speeds (you know this already if you’ve ever been told that heavy braking at speed wears out your brake-pads; it’s the pads that create the brake-dust). EVs, on the other hand, only use the brake pads to bring the car to a halt from speeds below 10 km/h; above that, all braking force comes from driving a generator. At that speed, there’s very little wearing of the pads, and so very little dust produced.

Finally, however, we do have the tyres. It’s here - and only here - that there’s “no difference” in particulate matter, and where EVs are slightly worse, due to higher average running-weight.

The takeaway from this is that the cure for high particulate emissions in future urban settings will be a combination of having fewer vehicles and lower average traffic speeds, as it’s speed that dramatically increases tyre wear. (In rural settings, there really isn’t enough traffic near homes for particulates to be a health concern).

In that light, a project that aims to increase urban traffic speeds is not exactly a great idea.

I said that building the Ring Road was compatible with lowering emissions at a national level. You said that ABP and the planning documents proved me wrong. You can read it all above in my posts and your quote posts - no goalposts were moved, perhaps you just misread what I said.

I presume this means you are acknowledging that ABP and the planning documents actually do not say that building the Ring Road makes it impossible to reduce carbon emissions at a national level.

Given that would be out of the scope, you're correct but then that wouldn't be difficult the way you framed it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,644 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Several examples of the ‘man on the street’ live in very expensive areas (Bushy Park, Chestnut Lane, etc) directly affected by this distributor road. A significant number of whom are very rich solicitors, the others with access to them. These people you dismiss will have a significant role in delaying, or possibly killing, this project.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Just for clarity here: ABP dismisses the carbon emissions impact of the ring road by mainly saying "solutions can be found elsewhere" -- this is what farmers etc have been saying for ages. This kind of argument is part of climate inaction -- and inaction is widely viewed as having replaced denial as the main climate change issue.

The "everyone benefits for roads" arguments is decades old but so, so flawed. It can be seen on clips from the 1970s/1980s in both Ireland and the UK, with road traffic engineers back then arguing that major road investment will enable public transport. Can anybody guess what happened between now and then?

But "everyone benefits for roads" isn't really correct in this context. The second ring road will effectively be a motorway even if it is not classed that way... it will not be for people walking and cycling, and the reallocation of city centre space planned after the ring road is buildt is a joke. The city centre is already bypass -- Galway city centre could well afford to remove more through car access and push most cars off the main bus routes and away from some central streets now.

I think you may have misread the context of my comments regarding the opinion of the man on the street. You're bringing up a different problem, which is the extreme power that NIMBYs have in this country to oppose infrastructure projects. There is no way to prevent these vexatious objections, and they will happen no matter what the planners do. As such, the only option we have is to take NIMBYs' power away through whatever legal means may be necessary. I agree that they will probably succeed in delaying this project, but hopefully it will be the last major project they are able to drag through the courts.

Ah now. Public transport has improved majorly since the 1970s. Transport of all kinds is so much faster and safer in this country than it was back then. To take a guess at your question, I would say public transport didn't improve enough to satisfy you. That's fine, but if the government built a new hospital to help reduce waiting lists and then didn't hire enough doctors or nurses to treat all the patients that needed to be seen, would you then say that proves that building more hospitals is the wrong solution?

I'm not sure why anyone would be walking or cycling on a dual carriageway, especially one that far outside Galway city centre. Walkers and cyclists will benefit from the reduction in traffic and reallocation of road space in Galway city centre that this new road is key to providing.

A NIMBY is 'a man on the street.' You claimed they are irrelevant. They clearly are not and there are a multitude of men/women on the street for this project.

There is no way to prevent these vexatious objections, and they will happen no matter what the planners do.

One persons " vexatious objection" is another persons completely reasonable objection.

As such, the only option we have is to take NIMBYs' power away through whatever legal means may be necessary. I agree that they will probably succeed in delaying this project, but hopefully it will be the last major project they are able to drag through the courts.

Any move to do this will fail in the courts if it doesn't adhere to the requirements of the Aarhaus Convention and for good reason

I'm not sure why anyone would be walking or cycling on a dual carriageway, especially one that far outside Galway city centre. 

BnT is outside the city center, should walking and cycling facilities be removed from that?

Walkers and cyclists will benefit from the reduction in traffic and reallocation of road space in Galway city centre that this new road is key to providing.

All evidence, current plans and future proposals show otherwise.

In any case, if there is a reduction of cars on city center streets (I don't believe there will be), it will be short lived.

Which of the three Coalition parties had a commitment to the Galway road in their manifesto?

It was delayed as it wasn't well planned nor financially feasible. Environmental objections had sod all to do with it, that's an urban myth. Though they will definitely be a major part of the appeal process.

Agree completely. Set up toll booths into the city with a clear explanation of where the revenue would go. It'd interesting to observe how support for the distributor road would fluctuate.

I would go back and read the context of that statement in greater detail.

@[Deleted User] If Aarhus proves an obstacle we'll just need to repeal the offending articles. However, I'm sure we won't need to go that far, as we can learn from other European states which are nominally signed up to Aarhus but seem to have beaten their NIMBYs regardless.

• Advertisement

You dismissed the people on the street. Foolishly I think. There are an awful lot of them, many wielding power and with great resources. Some are Nimbys but more are perceptive citizens who've worked out that a staggeringly white elephant won't help the local traffic situation in any way.

Please describe the context of the discussion as it stood when I made the comment you are referring to. You also seem to be changing what I said more and more with each post.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Spiaire

You really do like the sound of your own voice, don't you?

Lol -- "enough to satisfy you" ...yes, me and most of the rest of the country... I think you'll have to try gaslighting somebody else...

As for things getting better in the city centre -- the plan for reallocating space in the city centre after the second ring road is pathic. The city centre is already bypassed, Galway could and should be doing more now.

The bus plan for the city centre is a sick joke -- sending all buses down a road that should be pedestrianised to avoid buses from affecting car park access even a little bit. Again: Galway could be acting now to remove or reduce cars on narrow streets buses use. It's crazy looking at very few cars on some streets in the city centre blocking buses full of people.

The difference -- I'm guessing -- that Environmental Impact Assessment in other countries they actually make attempts to assess the alternatives.

The courts previously rejected the last attempt at a second bypass in Galway because alternatives were not assessed as required under European law. So, I was shocked reading how bad the Environmental Impact Assessment Report is at looking at the alternatives.

It's not just greenwashing but a poor attempt at greenwashing. The alternatives were dismissed out of hand rather than assessed. It was claimed nothing could be done without the new road and the assessment was only based on alternatives that look like minor interventions compared to the road.

If I was that way inclined, I could write a better greenwashing assessment of alternatives. I'm guessing the councils have bought into their own PR lines on the project so much that they thought repeating their claims within the EIAR was good enough.

So, if it fails, you can blame the council rather than people objecting for solid environmental reasons.

"Sure, but the assorted thoughts of the man on the street have very little relevance to the discussion."

"It doesn't matter what the man on the street thinks the Ring Road will do, it only matters what the people charged with deciding Galway's transport policy think it will do."

This not you, on 20 Dec? I think it was you know.

I doubt that extra burdens on planners is what is taking the power away from NIMBYs in other European countries, but whatever they're doing that lets them go ahead and build infrastructure without it being dragged through the courts for years, we need to do that too. Separately, if you're serious about making major changes to road space distribution, you'll definitely want to make it harder for those who lose out to challenge your plans, or even new cycle lanes will end up going through the courts (like in Sandymount).

As regards the figures you have chosen to share for student travel mode in Ireland, I'm not entirely sure what argument you're trying to support, unless of course you want to make several unsupported extrapolations from those graphs to say that public transport is now slower or more dangerous than it was in the 1970s.

@Seathrun66 Yes, that was me. Please describe the context of my remarks. This is my fourth or fifth time bringing up the context, so I presume you have chosen to ignore it.

The context is clear. Your quotes are not vague. You state 'the man on the street' is irrelevant' which is a little foolish as said person can be one of the many journalists, local politicians, lawyers, landowners, NIMBYS and businesspeople who may object to this proposed development. Before making flippant remarks it's best to consider what you say.

The people charged with deciding future transport in Galway are only one element as you will see when the imminent Judicial Reviews are applied for. An Bord Pleanála hasn't taken into account provisions of the Climate Action and Low Carbon Development Bill, Climate Action Plan, and the National Development Plan when making its decision. They'll get hammered for that.

You can misrepresent the context for those comments if you want. I don't mind, it's there for anyone to read.

A judicial review is inevitable for almost any important infrastructure project in Ireland these days. This is a symptom of our broken planning system, which allows NIMBYs to easily delay infrastructure projects without penalty for years on end. Hopefully the upcoming reforms of the planning system will bring us more in line with our European peers, who seem to have defeated their NIMBYs.

Editing to add that it seems unlikely to me that ABP completely ignored the various climate plans. That would seem like a rather obvious deficiency. Are you saying that because you think that any project which is associated with a net increase in emissions is no longer allowed to proceed in Ireland (and thus approval for this project de facto proves they ignored the plans), or because ABP themselves stated they chose to ignore them when reaching their decision?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

European countries don't have some super-duper planning laws that prevent people challenging projects, they are subject to the same environmental framework as here. It was a European court that threw out the original Galway Bypass plan for violating the EU Habitats Directive which, unsurprisingly, applies beyond Ireland.

I would like to see some stats to back up the idea that the Irish planning system "allows NIMBYs to easily delay infrastructure projects" given very few projects here have actually gone to Judicial Review, while our European peers "seem to have defeated their NIMBYs". I'm sure there are plenty of challenges to projects in Europe too, it's just not something you'd hear much about.

The planning system cannot operate outside the legal system, how could you enforce planning decisions if they weren't built on a legal framework? So there is no removing court challenges entirely, the process could be sped up but that doesn't mean a project is more likely to get approval from the courts. And as mentioned above, European courts will protect European law so there's no getting away from that (unless you want to follow the mistakes of our cousins to the east).

Most European countries have very well developed public transport and active travel networks and have long been practicing urban based planning strategies developed around proper transport hierarchy (i.e. car commuting well down the list). They wouldn't be proposing a massive bypass to solve commuter traffic congestion in a town with very little through traffic. That may be why they are less likely to run into the same opposition as the Galway Bypass.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement