Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N55 - Corduff to South of Killydoon

• 16-02-2018 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 20

What is happening with this road between Ballinagh and Loughduff . I hope its a major upgrade . I checked out the cavan co.co website and it has not been updated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 279 ✭✭discodaveirl

What is happening with this road between Ballinagh and Loughduff . I hope its a major upgrade . I checked out the cavan co.co website and it has not been updated

I drove this road this morning, I hadnt been in Cavan in a while, great to see the notorious bends south of Ballinagh are going to be by passed. Theres two seperate sections being worked on at the minute both approx 2.5k. Im not to familar with townlands but the southern section will leave the really bumpy section the scene of several hgv accidents redundant.

The work is being carried out by Foxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Freddypaccman

What's under construction now is Corduff to South of Killydoon Section A. Which doesn't go South of Killydoon just yet. Section B will bypass Killydoon and would start hopefully not long after section a which will be October next according to Cavan Co. Co.

The section near Ballinagh is Garrymore to Potahee. The second section is Corduff to Ballytrust. The bits in between we're improved in different phases up to 2012.

The above are links to the current scheme and a doc on the future scheme

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭roadmaster

marno21 wrote: »

Unusual this TII have a good setup in dealing with landowners usually

A few pics

Drove the N55 south of Ballinagh couple of weekends ago. Got a few pics where I could pull in, mostly of the southern (Corduff/Ballytrust) section.
    The only image of the northern section section closest to Ballinagh is this one of the proposed roundabout. the western half is well on to be built while traffic is down to one lane.

20180526_173151.jpg

The road is on a new possibly temporary alignment beyond the turnoff for Lacken GAA.

Down at Ballytrust where I try to get images from the opposite side the road. In the foreground works are a little less advanced than in the background but beginning to take shape. This is looking roughly north.

20180526_174328.jpg

From a location further north again from the wrong side of the road, but here we can see gravel on the road. Probably not far away from the first layers of tarmac.
    20180526_174536a.jpg

20180526_174538a.jpg

20180526_174549a.jpg

Overall the project is making good progress imo and looking on target for an October finish. Pictures aren't the best.

• Advertisement

Garrymore section bypassing the bends south of Ballinagh now open to traffic. Local road to Lacken remains closed and temporary speed limit remains. All focus will now move to the Ballytrust section which by and large is not far off tarmac.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,894 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Garrymore section bypassing the bends south of Ballinagh now open to traffic. Local road to Lacken remains closed and temporary speed limit remains. All focus will now move to the Ballytrust section which by and large is not far off tarmac.
    already up on openstreetmaps !
    https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=14/53.9101/-7.4257

fair play to whoever is updating that section south of "Bellananagh"

Still not up on Google maps and that's causing a bit of a problem for road users

https://www.anglocelt.ie/news/roundup/articles/2018/09/05/4161349-ballynotrust-in-google/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Akabusi

I see Foxes are back working on the new section. They have been marking and clearing the route. Three bridges over the Erne in place of the existing one i believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

Akabusi wrote: »
    I see Foxes are back working on the new section. They have been marking and clearing the route. Three bridges over the Erne in place of the existing one i believe.

Where's this, exactly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Akabusi

Sorry, its the last section in the original plan, the part that bypasses Killydoon. once this is completed you will have a great run from Granard to Ballinagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

Sorry, its the last section in the original plan, the part that bypasses Killydoon. once this is completed you will have a great run from Granard to Ballinagh.

Brilliant, thanks very much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,973 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Will be a great road between the two towns when it is done, just need the towns themselves bypassed next. Ballinagh would be a pretty bit job and can't see it happening any time soon but a "relief road" style bypass of Granard from in front of the secondary school to the Mart should be a fairly achievable.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Tender for fencing of the latest 3.7km awarded to Fox's as above

https://irl.eu-supply.com/ctm/Supplier/PublicPurchase/165975/0/1?returnUrl=ctm/Supplier/PublicTenders&b=ETENDERS_SIMPLE

Section B on this map:

N55%20scheme.jpeg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,424 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Was on the N55 yesterday and had a quick look, lots of fencing up and what looks like some minor earthworks or could be vegetation clearance. I didn't see any RFTs on etenders for the construction of the new section - is this still to come or would it have been part of the tender for the previous section (constructed by Fox Contracts)

Funding of 100k in the 2022 allocations for a Ballinagh relief road.

Relief road is an odd term to use, it would have to be a full N55 bypass with only a junction with the Kilnaleck road.

the indicative route is on the town's updated map in the 2022+ county development plan and goes to the west of the town very close to the current development .

Maybe a relief road is the name for a bypass when it lies inside the town bounds, and a "bypass" is a road that properly avoids a town altogether ?

https://www.cavancoco.ie/file/development-plans/2022-2028%20Draft%20Plan/Appendices%20to%20CE%20Report/Appendix%204/Ballinagh%20Amendments.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭cartoncowboy

CIS Ireland reporting they expect the main contractor for this one to be appointed in Q4 '22

From another thread, its being reported that the contractor is appointed with a possible early year (Jan) start.

From the Anglo Celt, they were reporting a start with men on the ground this year but if thats delayed by a few weeks it makes litte difference unless Meeeehaul wants to land up for a FF photo opp in the last weeks of being Taoiseach , and even that only requires a shovel and a few journalists with cameras.

https://www.anglocelt.ie/2022/09/30/n55-works-to-start-this-year/

According to the celt the contract has being signed but no name. The contractor is currently recruiting staff via an agency

https://www.anglocelt.ie/2022/12/04/new-houses-road-improvements-and-a-welcome-to-new-arrivals/

I am very suprised there has being no turning of the sod before christmass on this job for the photo op . I understand it is fully approved and contractor and RE team are activley recruiting

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭hondar

Clare civil

Confirmation the contractor is appointed but no start date. I belive RPS are the client rep on this project.

https://www.anglocelt.ie/2023/01/08/great-progress-on-significant-projects-despite-challenges/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

I've had a good look at the N55 and improvements in recent years including this one have really made a difference. I've worked out the remaining schemes that are needed to bring it up to a good spec:

From Cavan town to Athlone

From the roundabout at the south end of the Cavan Bypass to about 2 km further south

Bellananagh Bypass (2.5 km)

Bad bend just south of the Longford/Cavan border (1 km)

Long stretch south of Edgeworthstown as far as the junction with R393 (7 km)

Ballymahon Bypass (2 km) - but this could be awkward because of the river.

Bad bends just south of the Longford/Westmeath border (3 km)

Ballymakeeran - New bridge over the river (1 km)

Schemes considered but not needed:

Granard Bypass - The N55 through here is wide and straight and the village is tiny.

Edgeworthstown Bypass - The part that goes through the town is only about 800 metres so probably not worth doing. In any case when the new N4 Mullingar-Longford dual is built near here it could rejig things a bit as new link roads might be built that replace the N55 anyway. Route options have not been published but some go north of the town and some south so we'll have to wait.

Glassan Bypass - Too small to need bypassing.

South of Glassan to Athlone - Quite built up, but the alignment is very wide.

There’s a fairly comprehensive plan for Athlone-Ballymahon but it’s stalled since we let the dog drive the car in the Department of Transport

• Advertisement

The Ballinagh* bypass would be straightforward and should be the next priority imo, it wouldn't even have to extend far to the north of the town. I can't see any other major works happening between Cavan and Ballinagh after that.

Ballinagh to Granard will be in very good condition after the current section is completed. For me, a bypass of Granard would be very desirable. It would be short and simple, less than 1km from the Abbeylara road and joining the existing N55 by the mart. It would allow the town to further develop

Between Granard and Edgeworthstown needs widening but that would be a low priority for me, the road is straight so decent sightlines. I'd like to see the N55 extended south directly from the southeastern-most roundabout, instead of having to turn 90° to go to the other roundabout before turning 90° again. This would include a bridge over the rail line, thereby closing the Level Crossing, and several km of new N55 south of the railway.

I don't have any faith in the N4 Mullingar-Longford scheme happening, it doesn't justify spending €0.5bn. 10km new build to avoid Rathowen and Bunbrosna plus online upgrades would leave the road in an acceptable condition. A bypass of Newtownforbes is needed on the other side.

I also can't see much ever happening on that version of Athlone - Ballymahon. A mix of online upgrade and localised offline sections would be more realistic.

*this is the correct spelling

Advertisement