Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Omicron variant

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Tom_Crean

Thank you. Arra look, what will happen will happen. It's better to face it with a smile and optimism.

Look I'm also lucky in that my livelihood hasn't been effected, no one belonging to me died. I don't want to belittle anyone's experience.

Also mental health is a very personal thing. We don't know what others are suffering.

I would say that if you were feeling down, you'd be aswell away from these threads. They'd make you worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭deholleboom

People in general just follow the news headlines and maybe a few paragraphs of information provided to them by a seemingly trusted board of experts. There are usually not many bad actors but just a perpetuum mobile in a loop in which a consensus seems to appear because everybody thinks everybody else thinks the same. Little by little dissonant voices no matter how qualified will be elbowed out and the outcome will be seen as the only logical one within the parameters the people in the inner circle create that is open to debate. Anyone outside is basically a bad actor, a fringe player, an ignoramus and should be punished. Ordinary people will support it because now you have a working dichotomy with people on the right and the wrong side. Omicron has made this actually much worse but it is the culmination of a few years of fear and trepidation. I am quite repulsed by what some of my friends and relatives have dared to utter, mainly about those who have refused the current vaccines. It has been a sliding scale and you dont need a master in psychology to understand the path and mission creep which has lead to an extention of control measures, more rules and regulations over the last years and into the future, with the backup of more and more citizens complying w any new rule the new moral army has in store.

Freedom has become a word that is now frowned upon in the West and you must be some right wing nutcase to mention it, or an anti vaxxer, or Trump supporter or all three. My liberal friends havent a clue about this.

I wonder if, when Omicron come and gone, we will get any freedom back without the fear of implementation of policies like the ones during Covid? I heared PM Mark Rutte fr the Netherlands declare: "even if we had enough resources, hospital beds, staff and ICUs i would still go for a lockdown". Is this what we have become?

Post edited by deholleboom on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Looking like the Omicron variant is less harmful but very transmissible. It will sweep through us over the next month or so and may act as a free vax?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,490 ✭✭✭corkie

Israel reports first known death from Omicron variant

Israel has recorded its first known death from the Omicron variant of Covid-19, according to Israeli news media which reported that an elderly man died in Beersheba.

The patient died at Soroka Medical Center and had pre-existing conditions, according to the Times of Israel and Ynet news reports on Tuesday.

The two news agencies both said he was over 60 and had received two vaccine doses but not a third booster shot.

total (worldwide) 103,555

Note: added new Omicron prevalence data 

Genomic sequencing, which is used to confirm the variant, is performed on only a small number of coronavirus cases. As a result, the actual number of Omicron cases is believed to be significantly higher than the number of confirmed Omicron cases.

That's why we have decided to start reporting on estimates of Omicron prevalence* by national health authorities, when these numbers are available.

*) This is the most accurate indication of the share of current Omicron cases as a percentage of the total amount of coronavirus cases in a country.

https://newsnodes.com/omicron_tracker

^^^ prevalence data is a few days out of date.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭MTU

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Any statement that claims that 'X do not protect you from Omicron but Y will' is completely unscientific and should be recognised as such.

It can be ok to use sentences like that in an informal way, when the context is obvious. But here, I don't think it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Sobit1964

Checking in - has there been any evidence that this is something that a sane person might worry about?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭celt262

Pop into a pharmacy and tell them you want your booster and they would be none the wiser.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭deholleboom

That is why most scientists usually do clarify matters when pushed. They just dont get pushed enough because everybody wants the booster campaign to continue full speed. First it was for the vulnerable which is for obvious reasons, then for every adult. The 'magic potion' formula.

Anyway, when pushed they will admit that, when confronted with actual data, the boosters will result in higher levels of antibodies (after about a week) in relation to people's vaccination and a higher protection level against severe Covid symptoms so less of a chance of having to go to hospital.

What they will be reluctant to admit is that A: those antibodies only come into effect AFTER an infection,( but will be faster in response compared to the trigger system primed by the vaccination) so you can still both get and pass on the virus, B: you still have significant protection against Covid with a vaccination. It just takes the system a bit longer to get going, C: they cant compute how much protection it gives as every variable depends on another. And im sure ive left out a few others.

So, if society choses to ban the unvaccinated from participating under these conditions and for the reasons stated i have a few other suggestions:

Ban high sugar products. Ban chip shops. And/or ban obese people buying these products because they clog up hospital beds,

Monitor exercise levels w personal computers (chips) and ban people who are under a certain level, and/or put them in re-training camps,

Monitor 'undesireables' for having the wrong opinion and publicly shame them.

Do you see where im going with this?

• According to Luke O’Neill this evening it would appear that in the vast majority of people Omicron, like most common cold viruses, only invades the naso-pharynx, rather than pulmonary tissue, and that it is about the most contagious virus ever known. In other words we will all be infected, perhaps regularly, and it could be that we live with it. Trouble is with a mutation that makes for an equally contagious but very pathogenic variant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Timmy O Toole

So you don't trust SA experts because of political pressure but you believe experts from other countries who are saying the exact same thing.. Wut?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Got the booster today after the initial two jabs in the Summer, just like the majority of us… but if the plan is a vaccine every few months to match the variants of the Greek alphabet, you can fooking count me out! No Anti Vaxxer here but we’ll all become ‘Vaxaholics’ with even a sign of a sniffle in the long run. Enough is enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭Qrt

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Vaccinated30

Anecdotal,

2 of my children have severe asthma, both have been hospitalised with bronchiolitis, bronchitis and RSV, from as young as 6 weeks old.

Both have suspected Omicron

Both have 0 symptoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Hope they both get over it quickly, as an asthma sufferer myself this fills me with hope.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

They have been hinting at it for months, ever since they did the first booster. That's been their answer to the pandemic, more vaccines when it starts to look bad. Whatever about it the restrictions the rest of us have it does seem to be an extreme reaction to Omicron.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I think with Israel going for dose number 4 that this vaccine is just a hit and hope. It obviously is not what they thought it was. IU sure hope they are going back to the drawing board and coming up with a more effective vaccine instead of just pumping more and more of what they have already into people.

In Israel its jab number 4 only 4 months after your third. How long til its weekly :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

My wife and son have been unwell in the past week, high temperatures, dry cough, lethargic and sore throat. Both had antigen and PCR tests which came back negative. My niece with similar symptoms tested positive with antigen and PCR test at the weekend, her siblings with same symptoms tested negative, they're going for another PCR test today. Is there something with Omicron and the timing of when you get the PCR tests that affects the results? Like if you go too early or late in your lifecycle of having the virus it doesn't show up positive? I'm hearing similar stories from friends and family, basically all the symptoms but getting negative antigen and PCR tests

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

PCR is extremely sensitive. There is a lot of reg illness at the moment too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭McGiver

Political BS. Highly exaggerated. You live in a truly free democratic country. Your freedom is not endangered in any way whatsoever.

You should go and live in Belarus to understand what bollox you're talking and what real loss of freedom looks like.

Also, I take deep issue with these exaggerated notions of "freedom loss" such as yours because I lived in an actual not free country when I was a child and I know what it means. My mother was questioned by the police and taken to the police station simply for not standing still while the Soviet anthem was being played at a public place but instead was carrying on with her commute to work. You've no idea what freedom or loss of freedom means.

Introducing few temporary rules for managing a pathogen endangering public health is not a loss of freedom.

There's some reports that the current PCR tests calibrated to the Sars-Cov-2 virus are less effective with Omicron assuming due to high number of mutations (it is genetically diverging).

Also, timing matters, reportedly Omicron has much shorter incubation period, so that could be another factor.

Is there a plan to update PCR tests to properly detect Omicron?

I think Moderna/Pfizer and Novavax etc should quickly update the vaccine at this stage. Pointless using WuHan variant as the base.

Either base it on Delta or Omicron or maybe some sort of a mixture of spike proteins from Mu, Lambda, Delta and Omicron or whatever. I believe that's not exactly easy to do with mRNA because the mRNA can code only one protein and I'm not sure if the vaccine can contain two/multiple different mRNA versions or whether this was tested etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭erlichbachman

Health & safety gone mad will take on a whole new meaning. Health officials are now competing with the Kardashians for prime time spots, they wont give up their limelight very easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭HerrKapitan

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭erlichbachman

Yea, lets move everyone to Belarus, that'll teach em, or Finglas, yea Finglas, they'll know what freedom is after that

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Vaccinated30

I know I'm a stranger on the Internet who could say anything but this is my experience.

There is a certain cohort of people who would rather they were drowning in lung fluid just to say I told you so.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Mango321

HPSC Omicron report is out.

Our SGTF capacity is lower than I thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Advertisement