Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FI Charts ( T120+ onwards) Winter 2021/2022 **READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Tom_Crean

GFS mild South Westerlies by day 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

@Orion402 have a four-day early Christmas holiday from the weather forum to reflect and perhaps get more into the festive spirit instead. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Tom_Crean

I'm not best qualified to say but it seems to me any cold weather, snowfall coming will be St. Stephen's Day on. So we're right on the 5 day boundary 🙂

Possible Christmas Day if big upgrades on the low pressure diving south.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,878 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Just going through all the GFS ensembles up to +204 hours and by Christmas Day we have had a bigger swing to mild. There are no ensemble members left brining proper cold or snow right down across Ireland but fast forward a few days and quite a few of the ensemble members are colder and more exciting than the GFS operational. There are some rather juicy looking charts tucked away inside many of them leading up to New Years Eve.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Dazler97

I agree absolutely got nothing to do with weather, please can people who go against the rules be banned for 3 days

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,878 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

GFS 18z almost complete and compared to the 6z and 12z has seen a fairly big shift to cold between the 26th of December and New Years Day. The warming trend from 1st of January continues but depending on what happens over the next 5 days, this may also trend colder if luck goes our way. I can't see a trend back to cold for Christmas Day itself unless the low dives alot lower quicker than expected over the next 36 to 48 hours. Despite all the frustration of model watching over the past week we haven't had things this good in terms of eye candy at this time of the year in over a decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Donegal Ken

06Z GFS model run keeps that milder air much further south just to the south of Ireland. Overall even with that colder air to the north it nothing great. Christmas day at this stage is settled and will be mild and turning a little colder on the 26th but nothing to get excited about.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,702 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

That depends upon one's location.

The 06z GFS operational run would bring some snowfall to southern areas. The control would bring more widespread snowfall Christmas night/26th for a time. There are changes to come yet and not enough convergence between the models to be sure about anything at this stage.

Hopefully tonight might provide a clearer picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭pauldry

With uncertainty there's hope.

Last night yr.no had 41mm here Xmas day.

Now 13mm.

Temp also 4c colder.

As you can see still plenty to be resolved, plenty of potential and the average temperature getting dragged down as we get closer and those last remaining mild outliers get eliminated.

The biggest question is exactly where the frontal zones meet the cold air because some of us could get quite a bit of snow Christmas night/St Stephens Day depending on that.

Still all to play for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭almostthere12

The control run looks great on the GFS 06Z but just wondering do any of you have mass in this over the op?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

High pressure build up over Iceland would be nice, deflect some of the lows further south.

GFS 12z operational flirting with the idea of an easterly early in January.

If this was to come off it would probably be mostly dry with some light snow showers possible in Leinster for a day or so. Atlantic tries to roll in after this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

We've really managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory this week I feel. All that Northern blocking and nothing to show for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Ah yes, those super reliable 8 day out charts :)

7 days really

More likely than anything from the NE to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭pauldry

Think the dreams nearly dead. Time to get the brolly out and splash in puddles. At least we get 3 letters of "white" or all if you say "Hi Wet!"

"Nearly dead"?

Very dead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭sicknotexi

Thank feck my chase this year is over before Christmas. If it's going to snow I'll find out from the six one news from now on.

I'll start a thread, I promise! You'll know 4 weeks in advance.

Don't leave us!😕

No really don't, I spent the whole volcano thread talking to myself. They thought I was crazy like Gonzo 🤧

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Charts are depressing this morning. How do you get from this

To this

All that cold to our NW and yet it will be a ridiculously mild Christmas period. Jaysus but would 2021 just go and f@@# off for good now....

I thought at worst a dry, cold Xmas period was locked in. Will look very stupid to a few friends I shared predictions with.....

Will look very stupid to a few friends I shared predictions with.....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,753 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

The weather models, the biggest trollers of them all, except for Icon. ECM charts are excellent for a New Year BBQ.

I think it's time to take a break from model watching for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,753 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Billcarson

no snow, not even a frost ,happy Xmas 2021,happy new year 2022. All following on from one of the warmest autumns on record ....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Are you saying I'm funny? Funny how? Do I amuse you...(etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

Disappointing for everyone on here yet again. Yet another dank mild Christmas Day. Unlikely to get even a slight frost. The winters are getting shorter and shorter and while many like and embrace that, I need a few cold wintry days.

Happy Christmas one and all and hopefully mid/end January brings something decent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

If this mornings chart was set in stone (it’s not ) for the rest of the month then cold lovers look away now. Horrible horrible horrible charts. Christmas Day cold is gone forget about that. The rest of the month seems to be no good either but at the same time I still feel the GFS hasn’t got a grip yet. Let’s see.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement