Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest League in the World 2024 [new thread available]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Raoul

To be fair the other option was a goalkeeper that they got rid of 7/8 years ago because he wasn't good enough then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,090 ✭✭✭trashcan

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Rogers retiring hit Dundalk hard. Abibi was the worst goalkeeper I have seen in LOI by a long way. Now admittedly I didn't watch every Dundalk game but the goalkeeping in the games I saw was horrific.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

FG wasted a lot of money on pretty poor players. Cherrie was a long way past his best but the best that we had. Yates got one game and pushed the ball into his own net. As I posted earlier Jurkovikis was the pick and he’s signed for Riga now.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭RedCardKid

The part I never understood was them allowing McCarey to leave for the north, knowing Rogers was coming to the end of his career. He is a good solid keeper, who needed a run of games and is a lot better than Abibi. Having seen Abibi in the president’s cup last season I was thinking, this lad might be OK. Then a few mistakes and his confidence was shot. As he was an U21 international, there must have been a keeper in their somewhere. Schubert who played in goal against us for Arnhem was run out of Schalke, their fans claimed he wouldn’t get a game when he signed in Holland .... didn’t look too bad against us. I get the feeling, Peak6 were told, if they went and bought players from around the world, they would win the league and get further in Europe. There certainly seemed to be a certain arrogance towards Irish born players. Let’s hope the new owners get things right, if it goes wrong DFC will be in big trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭PGE1970

Ryan Brennan and Georgie Poynton both sign for Drogheda.

Have only really seen Odumuso once, which was when Drogheda beat us up there last season. I was quite impressed with him that night. Important for us to get a good solid keeper though. I was worried at the beginning of last season, having let Brendan Clarke go, but we struck lucky with Jaros.

Its like city (or was it 3?) a few years ago, with a news of a signing every day. Today its Darragh Leahy. (Perth played him, FG not so much) Agree about McCarey. He got a raw deal.As did Jimmy Corcoran. Should have never Odumsu go either. But you reap what you sow. Interesting whose in goal next year. Probably a loanee.

Post edited by joeysoap on

No post. I don’t know where this came from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Junior to Bohs.

No great loss for us. Always thought he was over rated and if we are going to challenge anywhere near the top to the table, we are going to need someone better than him anyway.

as far as I know Kelly was signed from Dundalk as he was only on loan to st Pats. Same with Junior, on loan to Derry.

Paul Doyle is today’s signing

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭irishmanmick

Return of LOITV confirmed with release of the first division fixtures. Absolutely delighted to hear it, it's not without it's problems but it's a fantastic addition to the LOI.

Pren fixtures out as well. Dundalk open and close against Derry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

I see we've signed Max Murphy from Rovers... I've not seen too much of him. Any use?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

Didn't really do too much at Rovers. I thought he was average enough, he might turn out to be a decent player though. What's a multi year contract btw ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Max is a decent player, but just wasn't going to break into the Rovers first team.

Presumably it's more than the standard 1 year contract (which I would think the majority of the team are on), so was called out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

But why not just say two year, three year, whatever it is ??? Multi year just sounds odd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Any Bohs fans know about Len O'Sullivan who has signed for Wexford?

Local media reporting that Ian Morris will be the new Waterford manager. Not surprising really - amazing that it has been left so long though.

Tbh I don't have a clue, unless it's a rolling contract which the club can trigger?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Waterford full time? Morris with a job outside of football - not sure how that will work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Wouldn't be surprised if they were going part-time with a reduced budget myself. Would somewhat explain the length of time it has taken to sort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Waterford's owner confirmed a few weeks back they are remaining full-time next season. Best of luck to Ian he will need lots of it

Two bench warmers (I hope)and a decent signing today.

You think that’s strange....how would you describe the signing of Cherie?

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

I see that Bohs announced Max as a left full; while he certainly played there for Rovers he is a predominantly right-footed player. He was very impressive for SRFC II in the first division in 2020, but found it hard to keep a place in the first team when promoted in 2021. Bradley was latterly starting Aaron Greene at LWB in front of him (the right side being sewn up by Gannon and Finn). I was still sorry to see him go and wish him all the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭sidcon

I believe that what is been done is rolling contract option, your signed for 1 year but both have the right to exercise another year.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Definitely not left footed anyway. His problem at Rovers was every touch was backwards inside onto his right.

I know we have signed Benson,Doyle and Martin and re-signed Leahy, Sloggett and a few more but the loss of Duffy, McEleney, Patching (he always played better at Derry), Dummigan, Cleary and Murrray will be hard to fill.Not forgetting Shields earlier in the season.

Sean Murray’s might ‘only’ have scored 16 goals for Dundalk, but what goals. What Dundalk supporter will ever forget his goals against Sheriff Tiraspol, Ki or Molde in the Europa league.

1 league, 1 cup, 1 League cup, 2 presidents cups, 1 Unite the Union cup. I wish him well at Glentoran.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Git Twardek returning to Bohs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

This is fantastic, however after getting so excited by Hery last year I’ve learnt to lower my expectations!!

Is this confirmed? He was a decent player alright.

What's the craic with Hery now? Has he moved on?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Pretty much confirmed, good signing. We've two proper wingers now with Mallon and him.

Hery was released a while ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭lenny palmer

Can either then reject it as well? Seems a strange way to have it with both sides having the option to extend. You normally read about the club having the option to extend by a year but the player is normally on 4 or 5 year deal not just a 1 year one

Billy King signs back for Pats. Good news.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I assume that this is a BS story? What can be gained from this other than a small award for compo that may never be paid. And why the High Court? Expensive place to goto

I'm sure it will be Kelleher and not Pat's footing the bill.

Regardless it is still money better spent elsewhere.

• Advertisement

Tim Clancy looking closely at what he signed 😱

not feeling wanted must hurt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

I would say Clancy is very much wanted at Pats. Kelleher is looking for vengeance for giving O'Donnell a chance and him giving Kelleher the 2 fingers on the way out.

If Kelleher wins this it'll be Dundalk footing the bill so he'll be taking cash out of a rivals budget. You'd have to think there was a contract or he wouldn't have bothered with this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

Lee Desmond has gone to the US. Big loss on the pitch.

Absolutely. You would be very silly to take a case to the High Court without very solid legal advice that you have a case. But of course Dundalk fans still think there is nothing to see here. If SOD off and Dundalk are equally firm in their view that there was nothing wrong then they won’t be offering any settlement, and it will all be sorted in Court. On the other hand, if there is a settlement reached, then that will be very telling. If I was a betting man I’d be betting on a settlement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

SOD has said he handed in his notice and that was legally all he had to do. That seems very sketchy and either SOD/Dundalk got some very poor advice or decided to wing it and play dumb after the fact. The whole saga has been gripping so far and I find it comical that the Dundalk owners thought they could pull a stunt like this against a millionaire developer and think he wouldn't take legal action. The man took a $1.2 billion lawsuit against NAMA! 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Dundalk fans making a shoow of themselves on social media.

Barret signs back for Pats, good day.

• Advertisement

Clancy might well be wanted by Pats but clearly SOD wants away.So far anyway Drogheda are the losers

i thought the case was taken against SOD. Very hard to see Pats getting any money there.

He should let it go and move on with his life FFS. Enough clubs end up in financial difficulty without this kind of childish nonsense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Raoul

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

Is there any chance that when this washes out SoD could be made honour his contract/placed on gardening leave? Would screw over Dundalk and kelleher has the money to do it...

Tunde announced by pat's... Gutted at that. Squads been hit hard with coyle, Seymour gone from midfield, all our strikers and McEleney

But you’e paid during gardening leave. Funny thing is Dundalk were looking at Clancy but knew he was under contract. Didn’t stop Pats though- they agreed terms with Drogheda almost immediately. Now some might say Drogheda sold ‘too lightly’ but they knew that Clancy wanted it and there was no point in stopping him. Bit like Kenny and Ireland - except they didn’t pay compensation.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement