Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boosters

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,582 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Im on Android Chrome, so must be a browser thing?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭apache

I accessed it through a link in The Journal. I luckily got an appointment in Croke Park before they were gone. Might be like the PCR tests and release the next day slots at a certain time.

Keep on trying. Yeah Swords still has over 1000 spaces left.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Thanks , they seem to have sorted the link its working now .Great news as it makes it a lot easier for people now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

Anybody know if they check on your underlying condition?

I am in my 30s and have had lung issues in the past which required hospitalization but have had nothing rubber stamped by GP for me to skip the queue.

Just checking If I will get turned away at a centre if i turn up?

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭techman1

When is the booster going to be added to the covid cert, it will be mandatory for travel after february 1 in EU now. Hopefully it will be added all in one go and will be picked up by existing covid cert

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

Gave up on Croke Park today. Ridiculous queues and full for the day within a few hours. A friend went up to Swords earlier today and it was empty (in and out in less than 20 minutes), so went up there this evening. Had gotten a little busier but, parking the car 17.15, I was back to the car by 18.00.

Given how long they have known they would need to roll out boosters, the HSE seem to be acting like the pandemic only started last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Not at all...

But SARS and Covid19 are similar, so much so that SARS vaccine research was translatable to Covid19...

And we know that natural SARS immunity has been demonstrated to last 17 years so far...

So it's very hard to believe in folks that say natural immunity from Covid19 only lasts 6 months or less, yet SARS lasts longer...while they said that the SARS vaccine research gave them a massive head start on the Covid19 vaccine...

Both statements are very unlikely to be true, agreed it is possible, but highly unlikely...

Also there is a number of claims about Covid19 that "fact checkers" are saying are false claims but those claims seem to be politically motivated...

A number of claims I have heard solid arguments from experts...both sides being argued well and impossible to differentiate ..

Asymptomatic transmission is possible while I have heard that they have yet to be able to prove that statement...

Same goes for reinfection, some say it's possible, others say it's not, it's in fact a false positive from a PCR, run at the wrong cycle rate...

These are from highly published researchers across different medical fields

Also people are very quick to believe pharma at the moment, an industry that is profit driven and has checkered history with sending dangerous products into the market (in most cases knowing full well they were dangerous)

And people wonder why we have vaccine hesitant section within society...

Full disclosure, I'm double Vaxxed(Pfizer), probably won't get a booster as I'm not longer in a high risk group, but if I do get boosted it will be with an non rMna vaccine...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Israel going for round 4 of the vaccine now. We will all be back again for another booster in 3 months.

I think they need to start working on a new vaccine, because the ones they have are obviously cack.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,577 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Or the virus is winning the battle with the human immune system.

How would a vaccine be considered “cack” when it has significantly lowered mortality rates and severity of illness?

They are on the 4th dose now. They dont actually know if a 4th dose saves lives. They are giving it to see if it saves lives. Not great science.

Its obviously not what they thought it was.

This is an inject first and see what happens vaccine. It is an experiment on the population of the world.

They need to go back and make a better vaccine. Not keep pumping dose after dose of this into people in the hope it works.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭SchrodingersCat

108,000 vaccines were administrated in one day yesterday. That is a seriously impressive number. To put that into perspective, that’s 2.1% of the population.

Well done to everyone involved.

https://mobile.twitter.com/paulreiddublin/status/1473539290936262656

How to summarise that you haven't got the slightest clue what you're talking about in just a few sentences.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,577 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Jimmy, how is a vaccine that has significantly lowered mortality rates and severity of disease cack?

Has any Dr or pharma company ever claimed the vaccines would give long lasting immunity or immunity against all variants? If they had, then I could see how they would be disappointed. But the success of the vaccine has been astonishing.

No doubt research is continuing, there is now a tablet about to be brought to market which when taken by an infected person, it reduces symptoms and aids recovery. But until a vaccine is produced which protects against all variants, and as long as the human immune system evolves to give eternal protection, then scientists will continue to do the best they can to protect people from Covid.

It really is something to state vaccines are cack, it’s not like there isn’t a bit of data to show their effectiveness. Go figure.

I always get the flu vaccine. Happy to vaccinate kids. Even got the chicken pox vaccine for kids.

I took the 2 pfizer jabs happily.

As time went on I started to think that the whole vaccine program is vaccinate first and see if it works later. Not really scientific and in my mind kinda dangerous science.

So i was thinking about not getting the booster. In the end i decided to get the booster.

Now I hear Israel is starting their 4th dose just 4 months after the 3rd dose.

Im even more convinced this is hot and hope.

So yesterday got an email from the school about vaccinating 5 year olds, together with a link to the HSE on the subject. I read it and its vague.

The HSE have gone from telling us kids cant get it, to kids get a very mild dose, to kids cant spread it to vaccinate the kids now.

So on their website i decided to look of the stats and severity of the disease in 5 year olds and nothing just vagueness. What i wanted to read was something like, and im making these figures up "10000 children age 5 got it. 4800 were very mild symptoms. 200 went to hospital, 1 ended up in ICU, 1 died. Those who went to hospital 90% had underlying issues. The one who died was already very sick".

Thats what you need to make an informed decision. Not the drivel from the HSE we have constantly been getting.

So you've gone from demonstrating that you haven't got the slightest clue what you're talking about in just a few sentences to demonstrating that you haven't got the slightest clue what you're talking about in a few paragraphs. Good for you. *pats head*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭apache

In and out in 10 minutes at Croke Park just there. Had an appointment but think it's a free for all in the afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

Had mine yesterday and have the same b*stard of a headache I had when I took the second jab in June, I know it'll fade away but was hoping it would of not started. Still happy to get it though and with my partner getting hers in the GP this afternoon, we should be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Israel's decision with their approach, if in doubt vaccinate again and again. Studies of course of will back them up and they'll probably get high compliance, but it seems like a very dubious approach and elsewhere would be subject to the laws of diminishing returns.

Post edited by is_that_so on

Do you think sentences like "I think they need to start working on a new vaccine, because the ones they have are obviously cack." demonstrates that this person knows what they are talking about? Are vaccine researchers sitting at home playing Xbox once a vaccine has been approved?

I tend to focus on the nub of the message rather than jump up and down because someone is having a bad day over this. I have no idea what researchers are doing but if our only plan is boosting every three months with the same vaccines they need to do an awful lot more. I favour vaxxing the world urgently first and we're really not doing so well there.

• Advertisement

I tend to focus on the nub of the message rather than jump up and down because someone is having a bad day over this.

What? You have a free pass to spread misinformation if you've had a bad day? And who is having a bad day?

I have no idea what researchers are doing but if our only plan is boosting every three months with the same vaccines they need to do an awful lot more.

You don't know what researchers are doing, but you also think they need to do more? That doesn't make the slightest bit of sense.

I favour vaxxing the world urgently first and we're really not doing so well there.

We're not doing so well there relative to what?

if not vaccinate, what approach are you suggesting instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Silly question perhaps, but I assume we don't need to take the evidence of our previous 2 shots with us?

This is picked up automagically via the PPSN right?

Not up to me but I do expect therapeutics to play a much bigger role from next year, as they should, IMO. Israel's total reliance on boosters gives the impression that it is the only way to go, that magic bullet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Where did you see about it being mandatory for travel in EU after 1 Feb? I'm travelling then and can't get booster as just had covid. Never saw anything about boosters being mandatory for travel, in fact thought the EU said the opposite in the last few days (think after 9 months things might change)

The poster expressed an opinion, quite an irate one. 

And how have you decided that he is having a bad day? It seems that he's just irate that he can't use pixie dust to make the pandemic go poof from what I can see.

They do need to do more because these ones are heading for the edge of usefulness if we're back getting one every 3 months.

You've stated twice now that they need to do more, i.e. that they are not doing the best they can. How have you concluded this?

Also, why is it on the "edge of usefulness" if it needs to be taken every 3 months? There are people who take medication on a daily basis. Is any medication not particularly useful in your eyes if it needs to be taken regularly?

Since we started vaccinations it has been recognised that we would always move into other ones.

Correct.

As for how we're doing you might want to look up some stuff on Africa.

I don't need to "look it up", I'm a medical researcher and read it regularly. What is your evidence that we are not doing as good a job at distributing vaccines to poorer countries compared to previous pandemics?

Anyway done on this so off you go and be angry at someone else.

So you've somehow concluded that two posters in this thread are angry and yet you're the one who is storming off? Interesting.

Nah, the conversation is over. It's just time for a cup of tea and a different conversation.

That is some great debating skills. Completely ignoring every question that I asked you because you can't answer them. And everyone who is reading this thread is now aware that you are incredibly disingenuous.

If you don't wish to talk about boosters in the booster thread, then I suggest reading one of the many other threads on Boards.ie once you are done with your tea.

Therapeutics will, they just haven’t entered the mainstream yet. It is only now that they are getting cleared by the regulatory authorities. Vaccination is currently our best defence against the virus.

• Advertisement

If people take it, but you'll see less willingness if we end up with multiple shots in a 12 month period. The FDA are expected to approve both antivirals soon and the EMA should also be before the end of the year so they'll probably be available from early in the New Year, definitely in Q1.

Advertisement