Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teenagers with no value for life and no care for repercussions - **Read OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭starkid

Shebean wrote: »
    I did. You citing 30 social housing builds on turning the city into a ghetto and making comparisons to Ballymun threw me there.
    If your point is we should tackle the trouble makers, I fully agree.
    Leaving things as is won't help. Treating all low income families the same isn't right.

Ignorance doesn't excuse bad manners.

Indeedy they did.

that in no way backs up your original assertion. One it was a just an idea, and it never came to fruition. Secondly it had nothing to do with moving people out of the liberities. so again, stop lying. the only ignorance i see is from you.

its ironic seeing that you can't see the difference between gentrification and mixed tenure housing. thats the op's popint i think. if those 30 homes were mixed, no doubt we'd see the same ****e. oh how dare they...the city centre belongs to my people etc etc. its as much bull**** as pure gentrification.

the city needs mixed housing and people being encouraged to move into the city. otherwise we are doomed. as much as there is good people in all the social housing projects in Dublin, there is also inter generational poverty, strife and dare i say anger. Looked after from cradle to grave, many have a chip on tgheir shoulder despite the state bending over backward for them. I live in Ballybough, some great people here. But theres a lot of corner cutting that wouldn't be tolerated in other parts and people would be on the hook and would pay for the privelege. There's a hell of a lot of entitlement from huge sections of our society, both rich and poor. It will be the undoing of us eventually.

PBP complained against the student housing that has already improved quality of life on Summerhill. Its made the area safer and morea acessible. 100 per cent social housing there would have been an utter disaster. its not hard to understand. it really isn't

SOme parts of Cork street need the same love and attention. The city centre should be liveable for all people. We already give over huge areas to social housing, probably more than any other city centre proper in Europe. we already to loads for thsi section of society. its time for others to get a bit back on all the tax and money they pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,329 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

If you are low income, you want not to be, ask yourself why you are low income ?

Did you attempt to better and further yourself through education ? Doing a course online, a class at night ?

If not did you get a job start at the bottom and work hard to work your way up ?

Opportunity exists but but need to make the effort...

in fairness i work for a multinational in Eastpoint. A contractor. Low skilled work. Used to be locals in all parts. Cleaners, office workers etc. all gone now. If those lads aren't hiring what hope. I don't necessarily blame the individuals. However there is an anger there. Its going to boil over. Id say the outcome will be that North Strand say wll be a fine street, but Buckingham street just across could be no go or that type of thing. what you get in cities in the US. personally i think thats where we are heading as a huge cohort get left behind, some through their own fault, some just by the nature of capitalism. I grew up in Dundrum, live in Ballybough. I can see it happening in real time all around me. People in SOuth Dublin disconnecting or squeezing the locals when they do move northside or parts of southside, and the locals in the inner city really resenting all the change around them. Dublin belongs to no one community. Feeding that narrative is dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Shebean

Point out to me in that IT article where they tried to move people out as per your previous quote.
    We should not treat people like dirt because they don't earn enough to buy a house in the latest trendy area.
    The Liberties was always working class. They tried to gentrify it and move all the socially housed out of the city
    In Dublin, SoHo will attempt to recreate a similar quarter and will refer to an area "South of Heuston Station". Unlike Dublin's Temple Bar regeneration which evolved a reputation for nightlife, the SoHo plan is to concentrate on family-centred accommodation, schools and public parks with a mix of employment opportunities, from construction of the new buildings to creative opportunities in the Digital Hub and other technologically driven services.
    Included in its boundaries are a diverse range of employers from older industries like the Guinness Brewery, St James's and the Coombe hospitals, to more creative services such as de Blacam and Meagher Architects and a new regional laboratory for water services.
    The rejuvenation of Cook Street, Thomas Street, Bridgefoot Street and School Street has already begun through public and private investment in housing and commercial development. The development of the new Eircom headquarters at Heuston Station is already under way.

No treating people like dirt related to the comment equating 30 social homes to Ballymun and ghettoisation of Dublin.

I suggest you read up on the regeneration scam where they shipped numerous neighbourhoods out to Tallaght and other places to be replaced with mixed housing in apartment complexes.
    In this particular case Cork street and Fatima.

In short, the Liberties was always working class. They tried to gentrify it and move all the socially housed out of the city. They even wanted to rename it SOHO, (South of Heuston).

Strumms wrote: »
    If you are low income, you want not to be, ask yourself why you are low income ?

Did you attempt to better and further yourself through education ? Doing a course online, a class at night ?

If not did you get a job start at the bottom and work hard to work your way up ?

I trust you say that to people complaining about house prices? How does that go down?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,231 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Strumms wrote: »

The main reason is because employers want to skimp as much as they can and are completely in favour of a race to the bottom. There are people out there with degrees out the wazoo who are on a "low" income, especially relative to the "education" (which is really just training in most cases and not actual education) they have.

There are certain positions and industry that will enjoy higher wages, of course, but they may not always enjoy that as there are ebbs and flows to observe. And it just isn't as simple as "it's you fault" a lot of the time.

Of course people can try to better themselves relative to the situation they currently have. But opportunity has to be there to do that as well and often it just isn't. Not everyone can afford to retrain, and more to the point not everyone actually knows what to retain in once their job is gone.

The bottom line is that work life is just not as straightforward as it once was. There are no solid paths any more. There's no jobs for life. Most "careers" are baloney, and an awful lot of people are going to find themselves in and out of work until the reach an age where they actually cannot get work any more. This is becoming increasingly more common. The 20/30 something in the workplace today are going to be in a constant cycle of in work/out of work and the reluctance of employers to employ people over a certain age will see a lot of them at a loose end no matter what they think they can "retrain" as.

starkid wrote: »
    that in no way backs up your original assertion. One it was a just an idea, and it never came to fruition. Secondly it had nothing to do with moving people out of the liberities. so again, stop lying. the only ignorance i see is from you.

its ironic seeing that you can't see the difference between gentrification and mixed tenure housing. thats the op's popint i think. if those 30 homes were mixed, no doubt we'd see the same ****e. oh how dare they...the city centre belongs to my people etc etc. its as much bull**** as pure gentrification.

the city needs mixed housing and people being encouraged to move into the city. otherwise we are doomed. as much as there is good people in all the social housing projects in Dublin, there is also inter generational poverty, strife and dare i say anger. Looked after from cradle to grave, many have a chip on tgheir shoulder despite the state bending over backward for them. I live in Ballybough, some great people here. But theres a lot of corner cutting that wouldn't be tolerated in other parts and people would be on the hook and would pay for the privelege. There's a hell of a lot of entitlement from huge sections of our society, both rich and poor. It will be the undoing of us eventually.

PBP complained against the student housing that has already improved quality of life on Summerhill. Its made the area safer and morea acessible. 100 per cent social housing there would have been an utter disaster. its not hard to understand. it really isn't

SOme parts of Cork street need the same love and attention. The city centre should be liveable for all people. We already give over huge areas to social housing, probably more than any other city centre proper in Europe. we already to loads for thsi section of society. its time for others to get a bit back on all the tax and money they pay.

The Liberties was always working class. They tried to gentrify it and move all the socially housed out of the city. They even wanted to rename it SOHO, (South of Heuston).

thats a lie. they never tried to do anything of the sort. why do you feel the need to fabricate a narrative?

During the 'regeneration' they moved lots of socially housed families out of the area. That's my proof.
    They promised to move many of them back in after 'regeneration'. They didn't.
    They bulldozed Cork street and Fatima and bulid PPP apartments. They suggested renaming the liberties SoHo and turning it into a cultural quarter.

You called me a liar and were shown up. Have the grace to own it.

During the 'regeneration' they moved lots of socially housed families out of the area. That's my proof.
    They promised to move many of them back in after 'regeneration'. They didn't.
    They bulldozed Cork street and Fatima and bulid PPP apartments. They suggested renaming the liberties SoHo and turning it into a cultural quarter.

You called me a liar and were shown up. Have the grace to own it.

that didn't happen. Fatima is still mostly the same people for the most part. they did move many families back in. so what proof are you on about!?the liberties has a very complex history and was the heart of many industries like weavers etc. its way too simplistic to use it as the backbone of some imagined plight of the locals. Thats Dublins core problem. Imagined histories and narratives. i'd say when Fatima was built in 1947, it housed people from all over.

And the old fatima needed to be regenerated to avoid total social collapse. so what did you want to happen there? so did Cork Street. the whole narrative you are painting is part of the reason we are where we are in terms of housing crisis.

You haven;t shown me anthing. SoHo didn't happen so why go on about it> and whose they. the man i presume? dcc was controlled by the left for years. so who else then? big bad developers i suppose.

this is the bull**** toxic narrative that has the city the aresways way it its. Where does it end. I mean before the tenements loads of families lived in these houses then they fled. Cities are ever changing, no one group or community has ownership. The city needs mixed tenure housing. Instead we have one of the largest concetrations of public housing in a European city centre. Show mea city that has 100 per cent dysfunctional public housing behind its key sqares and streets. i've no issue per se with that, however its causing social problems. and we have people like you in total denial. nothing to see here, ah shure its grand. and the same with people who say bulldoze it all away. thats just as bad.

my granny had a shop on the North Strand that was eventually made into a ladbrokes. Thats what happens in cities they evolve. And if they don't they tend to stagnate and die.

using Fatima as an example of anti regeneration is a ridiculous shout. https://www.rte.ie/archives/2016/0128/763688-fatima-mansions/

that didn't happen. Fatima is still mostly the same people for the most part. they did move many families back in. so what proof are you on about!?the liberties has a very complex history and was the heart of many industries like weavers etc. its way too simplistic to use it as the backbone of some imagined plight of the locals. Thats Dublins core problem. Imagined histories and narratives. i'd say when Fatima was built in 1947, it housed people from all over.

And the old fatima needed to be regenerated to avoid total social collapse. so what did you want to happen there? so did Cork Street. the whole narrative you are painting is part of the reason we are where we are in terms of housing crisis.

You haven;t shown me anthing. SoHo didn't happen so why go on about it> and whose they. the man i presume? dcc was controlled by the left for years. so who else then? big bad developers i suppose.

this is the bull**** toxic narrative that has the city the aresways way it its. Where does it end. I mean before the tenements loads of families lived in these houses then they fled. Cities are ever changing, no one group or community has ownership. The city needs mixed tenure housing. Instead we have one of the largest concetrations of public housing in a European city centre. Show mea city that has 100 per cent dysfunctional public housing behind its key sqares and streets. i've no issue per se with that, however its causing social problems. and we have people like you in total denial. nothing to see here, ah shure its grand. and the same with people who say bulldoze it all away. thats just as bad.

my granny had a shop on the North Strand that was eventually made into a ladbrokes. Thats what happens in cities they evolve. And if they don't they tend to stagnate and die.

using Fatima as an example of anti regeneration is a ridiculous shout. https://www.rte.ie/archives/2016/0128/763688-fatima-mansions/

Enough of the hysterics please.
    The talk was regarding not having social housing in the city as it was ghettoising the city and 30 homes in the city were used as a comparison to another Ballymun.
    I think letting the market tell us where we should and should not build social housing is a bad idea. Just because an area is popular it shouldn't mean we move entire communities either.
    I mentioned the DCC, (that would be 'them' or 'the man' or 'whitey', which ever floats your boat) had 'tried' to gentrify the liberties and rename it SoHo. It was an example on moving the socially housed. You said they attempted no such thing and I was a liar. Now far from keep going on about it I'm trying to show you that you being unaware of what happened or disagreeing with my opinion on what constitutes gentrification, in no way justifies you calling me a liar.
    Fatima is now called Herbiton or something. And yes it was a **** hole. The point stands that the locals were told it was regeneration. What happened was 100% social housing was demolished and replaced with mixed PPP apartments. And not mostly the same people. Like it or not, pointing out that's what happened.
    The man/whitey/illuminati wanted to capitalise on land and housing during the boom.
    St. Michaels Estate up the road, 100% social housing. Demolished under promises of regeneration. It's still a big field a decade later. We had the crash, but I can bet you it wasn't going to be 100% social.
    I don't want to keep going on about this. Read up on it.
    My point is we can't treat all low income social housing families like gurriers and farm them out to the sticks because some arsehole decided to make money by selling off the public land they are housed on.
    Cities change, they sure do. I'm all for rejuvenation and the like. I don't agree with moving entire neighbourhoods for no other reason than private profit.
    Groups and communities do have ownership. Local Councils are supposed to facilitate and support locals. We are too use to councils and government being shills for developers is all. Communities aren't assets to be sold off on the developers whim.
    In closing, you disagreeing on what gentrification is doesn't excuse you calling me a liar.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,329 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I trust you say that to people complaining about house prices? How does that go down?

I don’t have any such conversations so who knows. This thread ain’t about that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

15 year old arrested by gardai in temple bar area in possession of a stolen bottle of vodka and knuckle dusters..... Of course released into his parents custody... Should be treated like an adult if he or she is going to carry on like that with a weapon too !

Enough of the hysterics please.
    The talk was regarding not having social housing in the city as it was ghettoising the city and 30 homes in the city were used as a comparison to another Ballymun.
    I think letting the market tell us where we should and should not build social housing is a bad idea. Just because an area is popular it shouldn't mean we move entire communities either.
    I mentioned the DCC, (that would be 'them' or 'the man' or 'whitey', which ever floats your boat) had 'tried' to gentrify the liberties and rename it SoHo. It was an example on moving the socially housed. You said they attempted no such thing and I was a liar. Now far from keep going on about it I'm trying to show you that you being unaware of what happened or disagreeing with my opinion on what constitutes gentrification, in no way justifies you calling me a liar.
    Fatima is now called Herbiton or something. And yes it was a **** hole. The point stands that the locals were told it was regeneration. What happened was 100% social housing was demolished and replaced with mixed PPP apartments. And not mostly the same people. Like it or not, pointing out that's what happened.
    The man/whitey/illuminati wanted to capitalise on land and housing during the boom.
    St. Michaels Estate up the road, 100% social housing. Demolished under promises of regeneration. It's still a big field a decade later. We had the crash, but I can bet you it wasn't going to be 100% social.
    I don't want to keep going on about this. Read up on it.
    My point is we can't treat all low income social housing families like gurriers and farm them out to the sticks because some arsehole decided to make money by selling off the public land they are housed on.
    Cities change, they sure do. I'm all for rejuvenation and the like. I don't agree with moving entire neighbourhoods for no other reason than private profit.
    Groups and communities do have ownership. Local Councils are supposed to facilitate and support locals. We are too use to councils and government being shills for developers is all. Communities aren't assets to be sold off on the developers whim.
    In closing, you disagreeing on what gentrification is doesn't excuse you calling me a liar.

the only one in hysterics is you. yes you lied. the council (which was dominated by the left all through that time) didn't try to move all people from the liberties. it didn't happen. so just stop. the soho thing was just a kite being pushed by many different interests. it was floated and it didn't come to fruition. Probably cause the council in 2006 was dominated by the left here. It still was up until recently.

100 per cent social is a ****ing disaster and anyone pushing it is a crank. These things needed to happen,. so unsure why you are crying about it. its far more complex than what you are painting it as "moving them out to the sticks" shills for developers. these are just myths you have bought into. Look i somewhat agree about not railroading these communities completely but don't be crying about a housing/rental crisis in the next breath if this is your answer. These communities have ownership in the same idea that a person from Raheny or Dundrum has community buy in to their own area. however it doesn't allow them to take domnion over anything - that goes for any part of Ireland imo. The trouble is much of this is bang in the heart of a mid sized European city. That brings its own problems. Particularly when its faced hardship. The jobs gone in factories and docks, so of course there will be issues. But if you're looking for 100 per cent social housing here you are completely wrong. We had social housing all over the city. Rosemount flats, The HIll in Ranalagh, Monkstown farm, Meadowbrook in Dundrum. Literally nobody thought keeping these places (which were some of the most deprived places in Dublin) was a good idea. they had to be regenerated for the common good, including the people living there. In most of these areas the same peoples are residing. You probably won't find a fairer country in the World to be socially deprived than IReland, despite the rhetoric. St Marys flats was redone as well. Theres been loads done for these communities. Yes one or two like st michaels will fall through the cracks. But you've been drinking too much of the PBP koolaid.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You are missing the point. The problem is not workers in social housing. There is nobody begrudging a home to a working person or family or those down on their luck with every intention of improving things. The problem is the tenants that don't work and have zero intention of ever working while having out of control children.

It's the latter group that actively needs to be discriminated against on the housing list because they wreck the lives of everyone around them.

This. A million times this.
    Low paid workers in social housing should be given extra benefits. The able-bodied literate unworkers should be crucified.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Normal One

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

Normal One wrote: »

I nominate that guy for Garda of the Year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

LOL he'll probably get a complaint for brutality in against him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

LOL he'll probably get a complaint for brutality in against him.

Nothing brutal about it, it was poetry in motion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Normal One wrote: »

You love to see it. More of that please.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIqIM07_T0k

capital city - 20 minutes for police to show up, despite man having a blade. fml

• Registered Users Posts: 14,160 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIqIM07_T0k

capital city - 20 minutes for police to show up, despite man having a blade. fml

We've seen this one loads of times at this stage, and I thought it was a new grey tracksuit video getting excited for nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Forgive if I have my bearings wrong, I'm gone a while but isn't there a garda station about 20 yards from there on O'C street???

• Registered Users Posts: 14,160 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

theteal wrote: »
    Forgive if I have my bearings wrong, I'm gone a while but isn't there a garda station about 20 yards from there on O'C street???

I think there was some kind of Garda outpost there without being a station but pretty sure it's gone now. Store and Pearse are prob equidistant from the melee.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Wasn't there one up the near the top of O'Connell street?, is that gone?. Always thought there was a permanent Garda presence outside the GPO?

• Registered Users Posts: 86,256 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Gardai attacked in Carrigaline Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 82,415 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 14,806 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

• Registered Users Posts: 82,415 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Carrigaline Cork, no tasers used, don't think they even had tasers to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Jeff2

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭rightmove

This might be unpopular to say but you wonder if the kids in the video would have been so brave if they were up against 6 foot cops called seamus from kerry. And the logical consequence of such thoughts is what kind of profile do we need in the garda. I know the luas has a profile generally some seriously looking men who you would NOT mess with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

To be fair: how can you possibly take the gardai seriously after watching something like this. That’s just pathetic.

Advertisement