Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭rgossip30

The youth of today support the lowering of the pension and a tax on large houses the elderly live . I notice a jealousy towards them something which was not apparent in the 80’s .

I got locked in similar room with 20 other white people. I had no visa, but by quirke of fate no visa for Irish was required. The police just rounded up every white person crossing(this was Zimbabwe at the peak of land confiscation), and they were systematically robbing every Rhodesian, American or Brit of all their portable wealth. Strangely enough the senior officer let me go without taking anyhting after saying, " you are Irish, you hate British too"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,434 ✭✭✭jmreire

I've had similar experiences too. Having an Irish passport anywhere in the world is an asset, and I've witnessed some very antagonistic attitude's to British passport holders in some Country's, due to their previous history worldwide ( or at least in the parts where the Sun never set.) People have long memories.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

"I've had similar experiences too. Having an Irish passport anywhere in the world is an asset"

That'll change soon enough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Well, when the world and his wife has an Irish passport, why would it carry an exclusivity

Looked at like that, true !!! Just like the Israeli manufactured "genuine Irish Passports" didn't do it any favor's either !!!

The interesting thing is that while here in Ireland people jump at the chance to accuse/insult/decry priests of all types and the catholic church... much of the great reputation that Irish people have abroad comes from the priests and missionaries. Not all, but a significant part of the good reputations come from them.

When you go abroad (apart from the western nations), and talk to people about what they know about Ireland and Irish people, few of them have any personal experience of Irish people... and what they learn from history/geography tends to be rather vague, and full of misconceptions. Stereotypes abound. Most remarks tend to focus on the stereotypes of drinking, or our boy bands or Riverdance, but the general perception is of Ireland as a religious country, without divorce, and traditional minded. Obviously, that's changed considerably.

Our reputation abroad will decline for a variety of reasons. The first being that many Irish who do travel behave more like the English and don't do the reputation of Irish people many favors, with an emphasis on drinking and fighting. Which is fine in cultures where such things are common (Russia being a good example there). Then, there's the simple exposure to modern Irish people as opposed to the Irish who used to travel/work abroad. The mannerisms of Irish people and the manner of their interactions are shifting. Instead of missionaries, we have a few generations of expats, and they tend to represent the best of Irish behavior abroad, settling down, and integrating quite well with their preferred environments.

In non-western countries, I think we have a lot to be grateful for the Irish priests, brothers and nuns that went abroad because they presented a wonderful impression of caring, open, friendly behavior... and that's what stayed within the stereotype. We don't really have that as much anymore.

Besides, politically, Ireland has involved itself internationally, and news reports are going to shape peoples perceptions of us... whereas in the past, when the stereotypes were formed, Ireland was mostly a very quiet, small nation. That's changed.

I've had a lot of very good experiences happen, simply because I was Irish. I've been mugged, and then, gotten away from being severely beaten because I was Irish. I've had police in a variety of nations, let me out of small problems, because I was Irish (and no, there were no references to hating the British). I can list dozens upon dozens of positive results due to being Irish... but I can also point to a range of negative experiences too.

I think we have to realise that Ireland, and Irish people have greater presence now than they did before, and that's going to alter the favorable stereotypes that have hung around for ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

Klaz/

You also need to mention the fact that Ireland was a model for a lot of nations reclaiming their nationhood vis-à-vis their colonial overlords. The Irish opened the door to independence movements worldwide, and get a lot of respect for that to this day.

Ahh.. honestly, I've never encountered such an association. Maybe Ireland was.. as you say... but I've never heard that from any foreigner, in Asia or Africa.

And TBF, the end of colonialism came about through the efforts of the Americans after WW2.. increasing pressure by American governments on the British or French, to release nations as it was incompatible with their vision of democracy and freedom (while also decreasing the opposition those Imperial powers had against American influence economically, and diplomatically).

• Advertisement

If African or.Asian countries had a.large amount of.Irish people living there, I would.imagine they would look for police from those.nationalities.

Makes sense. The more diverse the Garda, the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

Your interlocutors were too shy to talk about it…

Funny about the Yanks’ idea of democracy. When they took over from the French, their take on freedom was to spray agent orange and drop more bombs than the whole of Dubyadubya Two. In the end, they had a victory of sorts, so to speak, ahem.

Ahh well, Americans have always been very good at saying one thing, while hiding various opposite behaviors behind their backs. Even today, after all that has gone by (and been revealed), Westerners still prefer to focus on the good related to US foreign affairs (while extending those fake standards to other nations), than truly consider the bad. Hollywood has made an incredibly strong impact on most Western conditioning. The British did something similar, although not quite to the same degree, but it's noticeable nonetheless.

As for people being too shy... yeah.. no. In my experience, roll out the local cuisine with copious amounts of the local spirits, and you get every opinion under the sun (along with a lot of lectures on history), especially if you're in any kind of rural area, although city outskirts were often the same.

Still, TBH in my experience, few people knew much about Ireland, most thinking we were still part of Britain.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,348 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Note the language of the headline here: "trapped in Direct Provision".

Nobody is trapped, they are free to walk out the door and return home.

The IT imply that it is a "prison", that the people are incarcerated.

The IT imply that somehow we are doing wrong.

In reality, we have given bogus AS leave to remain, even though their claim is false.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Seems like they are highlighting the fact we can't house existing people on this island, inviting more in without due processing is asking for trouble.

Doesn't leave to remain usually mean "we can't be arsed with your appeals"

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Glock17

Maybe I'm just a bit old fashioned, but maybe it just makes more sense to employ the person most suited to work as Garda?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,234 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Well while we might have inspired or given encouragement for others to do the same. We did not and do not represent the democratic model followed by others. We are a sovereign people and to the best of my knowledge not a single one of the other parliament of Westminster style democracies went that far. The nearest of any type is Switzerland, but even there, parliament has limited opportunity to overrule a constitutional referendum.

And do you think that the Person most suited to be a garda, would not be asian or African? We already have different nationalities in AGS. You do know they have to apply the same as everyone else?

I think you in agreement with each other, hire based on merit, not based on race gender religion or outward diversity.

No discrimination

• Advertisement

Well, for what it's worth, during the war in the FRY and when I was in Bosnia, I was asked by a Bosnian to tell him the name of the then Bosnian President, he was testing my bona fides, so to speak, when I told him correctly, Alija Izetbegovic, he seemed surprised ( or maybe disappointed) But when I asked him to name the President of Ireland.....he was unable to do so. Round 1 to me. But personally, I have always found that my Irish Passport was a decided asset in any of the Country's that I've been to. We are not associated with any historical invading or colonization's of other Country's. Which is something that that the afore-mentioned colonized Country's have never forgotten.( or forgiven, in a lot of them).. and so would not quite the same "incentive" to remember Irish influence at least from a bad perspective anyway. In Serbia, they are very knowledgable about the Irish. As a matter of fact they say we came from Serbia, and in Slatibor, there is the Tara Mountains, which has an old traditional Serbian village pretty much like Bunratty here in Ireland. The interiors of the Tara village houses are identical to the ones in Bunratty. So it would seem that the Celts were there in their travels.

How exactly are these people trapped? Sinn Fein at it again, always playing the victim card for any special interest group they can find.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭enricoh

It's a prison, Magdalene laundries etc when they get e40 a week pocket money.

Once they get leave to remain its full dole, no rent,ESB, gas WiFi bills etc and free meals n transport. They won't leave as a result- great job!

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Glock17

So what will these 1640 people cost the Irish taxpayer? You'd need at least 400 houses for them? Average rent in dublin is an easy 2000 euro a month? To rent enough houses for them is realistically 10,000,000 euro a year....

Europeans are constantly told we need migrants to work and pay our pensions. However the reality is they cant even provide for themselves....

Europeans are constantly told we need migrants to work and pay our pensions. However the reality is they cant even provide for themselves....

We're still talking about those in DP, not mainstream migration. So, while I do have concerns about low skilled migrants, the truth is that this problem (per the OP) doesn't relate to most legal migrants. They can provide for themselves, and per the terms of their visas, will leave when they can no longer do so.

The pensions argument doesn't work regardless of migrants. The aging population in all first world nations is increasing, and the demand for expenditure by the State to cover the cost of the pension itself increases over time. No amount of immigration is going to deal with those issues. People really should be sticking it to the politicians and the media for promoting this view that migrants are the answer... because they're certainly not. But then, it mostly sounds like the usual attitude of governments with the desire to defer problems on to later for someone else to solve.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

No. 1 Eoin O'Broin is a plonker and No.2 the Irish Times isn't fit to wrap fish and chips in these days.

I am not allowed discuss …

Complete and utter rubbish....if these are genuine asylum seekers from war torn Country's, no way would they be complaining about direct provision here in Ireland, because in the Country's they have left (Afghanistan, Syria etc) conditions are infinitely worse. But economic "asylum" seekers, ???? When will they be happy????

Refugees are from war torn countries.

Asylum can be claimed on many different grounds.

True, but the point stands. If they were genuine asylum seekers then they would appreciate the welcome they receive, and actually, other than Asylum seekers/refugees from warzones or direct political persecution, then they likely would have the resources to leave DP on their own.

So, for example, the homosexuals from South Africa who claimed Asylum due to the persecution and abuse they received for being homosexual, would likely be able to leave DP, since they would have had the chance to prepare before leaving their own country.. The change in attitude/behavior towards homosexuals in South Africa wasn't sudden, and was part of a systematic and cultural perspective there for a long time. The point being that they could have prepared before leaving their country, whereas refugees due to war, aren't in the same position.

In any case, Asylum seekers should appreciate what they're receiving, and if they're unhappy with it, head off on their own initiative to find another country willing to put up with their rather high opinion of themselves, and what they're entitled to. I'm sure the Irish State would be happy to provide the funds for them to fly somewhere more to their liking.... It would probably be cheaper than the endless appeals, and supporting them while they wait.

• Advertisement

Id rather live in a slightly **** hotel than fear for my life.

Advertisement