Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

You've answered your first question yourself. This is what happens when you put quotas ahead of competence. She's not the only minister in that regard!

But before the perpetually offended get too worked up, refer back to my previous post on the 3 leaders

It was a PR stunt, pure and simple. Someone didn't consider the optics very well though!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

It's breathtaking the incompetence and ineptitude, of course there'll all off on their extended breaks, God bless them, we'll hear no more for two weeks , they collectively couldn't give a toss 🙄

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭walus

I think what this is a simple power vacuum / power void. There is clearly a lack of decision making figure / authority in the government right now, especially when it comes to dealing with the pandemic related matters. Tony and Co. are simply filling that void, and the government are happy for them to do that.

”Where’s the revolution? Come on, people you’re letting me down!”

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

• Advertisement

I still wonder what would have happened if Charlie (for all his faults) and Margaret were around. Somehow I doubt we'd be facing into another winter of lockdowns for what is increasingly seeming like little more than a mild flu (Omicron).

Yep but as I said, "do as I say, not as I do"

Not the first time either. Remember the big party that Big Phil finally lost his job over? Similar drama in the UK recently over one last year except over there they resign pretty much the next day in most cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,064 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Where in heaven`s name did you get that idea from ?

I don`t know if you have been on many committees but the idea that you would have a majority from a committee made up of 32 members just automatically endorsing whatever you come up with due to nothing other than your charisma and that you would then toddle along to a Government cabinet meeting and have your recommendations just rubber stamped unquestioned, again because of your charisma, is farcical.

Whatever the chances of you finding a committee of 32 that has 17 nodding dogs, your chances of finding the same nodding dogs in a Government cabinet made up of 3 parties where 2 of them cannot stand the sight of each other is on its own even more farcical. Never mind that during all this you have also somehow managed through some form of telepathy to also bend the Government opposition to your will by having them follow along as well.

But then if that is what you believe it`s what you believe,so I presume you believe the same for England and the Netherlands. Especially concerning the Dutch where they have introduced restrictions much harsher than here. Who knew that CMOs were such charismatic figures they could do this. Any of them I have seen on T.V. have struck me as dry enough rather than charismatic, but maybe you have to be in close contact with them for it to work. By any chance could that be the reason for the 2 meter distancing rule do you think ? If it is then they really need to increase that and save us from these people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭MOR316

We had the harshest restrictions throughout Europe, for the majority of 2021.

I can't understand how some people defend this, even when our own Government said it was a mistake

Then again, I see the state of this country and read some of the posts on here and it makes sense

• Registered Users Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭walus

Politicians are weak these days. Often come from sectors where they have not been particularly successful or quite simply were sh1t. Often they had never had to make difficult decisions in the absence of certainty and so who could really expect them to do it now? For them tomorrow looks more or less like yesterday and cautious, risk free way forward is what advances their careers. Thinking on their feet, pivoting into different strategies and placing carefully calculated bets is not their game.

”Where’s the revolution? Come on, people you’re letting me down!”

• Advertisement

I have no doubts it is complicated, and like a lot of the problems with Africa it is not being helped by do-gooders recently advocating we send all booster vaccines to South Africa where South Africa has said shortage of vaccines is not the problem, that they are presently over supplied and hesitancy is the real problem.

Nobody is denying that Africa has major problem in many areas, not just this pandemic, but for decades we have been throwing money and resources at these problems and nothing seems to change. I know we all feel guilty when we look at the situations in much of Africa. Ireland especially with our on history of imperial rule and our famine in the 1840`s, but we are not going to change much unless some of these countries start to deal with their own problems. Take Ethiopia for example. A major famine in the1980 when the population was 72 million that effected 8 million where over 1 million died. 35 years later another major famine where the population has now grown by 60% to 115 million and is projected to reach 144 million by 2030. This in a country were despite all efforts by the Western world 80% of the population are still poor farming families that are existing on what the produce year by year. One bad harvest and it`s famine.

Anyway, not a subject for this thread, and how you change it I have no idea, but for me at least similar to do-gooders and vaccines, just throwing money and resources as we presently are is not fixing anything in Africa.

Where was I defending anything to do with restrictions in 2021 ?

My posts were in relation to some here believing Tony Holohan has some kind of magical powers that can bend everyone to his will and have whatever he wishes endorsed and enacted when it comes to restrictions. You may agree with that, but for me it is fictional boogeyman nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

Out of pure interest, where has Leo or MM admitted that paying most of hospitality to stay shut for the guts of 10 months was a mistake?

I'd love to read it for myself (because it was an incredibly stupid eye Wateringly expensive mistake)

I'd get banned if I gave my true thoughts on Tony Holohan.

What I will say is, I am shocked that he hasn't been confronted by anyone in the general public yet

Varadker said that they won't have the toughest restrictions in Europe again next summer, that he will advocate not to make the same mistakes in terms of restrictions that we've had over the last two summers.

And yes, I know, he's full of **** and Holohan will get his way again and we'll be on booster 7 by then blah blah blah

Interesting. Maybe we can even have a music festival this time with more than 5 sad people (one of whom was catherine Martin so it doesn't count) and nobody sitting on the ground in sheep pens, barred from drinking alcohol.

There are 14 people at this event, including Tony Holohan.

As we can see from the images below, there wasn't a semblance of social distancing going on. No masks. Nothing.

And all this, at a time when restrictions were re-introduced for everyone else just a few days ago, and who knows how many people laid off work before Christmas.

It stinks of hypocrisy.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,020 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

He said it on his interview on newstalk that staying shut for longer so when we open we open for good was a mistake, he said we should have opened a lot sooner.

Great, thanks. Nice to see at least someone in government admit to a mistake and not gaslight us into thinking it was a great idea. Look forward to paying for that mistake in my taxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

Say what you want about Charlie Haughey. But at least we knew he was running the show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

load of family and friends i know have tested positive with antigen tests today, all waiting for PCRs today, numbers are gonna sky rocket.

thankfully, but not surprisingly, none of them are actually sick. coughs and runny noses, sore throats for the few that even have symptoms.

oh, they done their own tests because they were going to aprents hosues for dinner Xmas day etc, before anyone asks why they bothered.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,469 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

@eskimohunt Do you know the way kids can be brutally honest and repeat what their parents says about people. It would be great of they had some real loud mouths for Dr Tony.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

shock horror!! coughs and runny noses in mid winter! 😮

Bring out your dead!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

He's part of a team and it was a lot easier for FG in early 2020, however tough it was for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I'd be very very weary of anything Leo says generally but in particular anything about restrictions, let's not forget his recent comments about being sceptical of needing further restrictions, 2 days later eating his words. It wasn't the first time he said something , only to regret it within hours & days, Rather peculiar that 😏

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭francogarbanzo

Not much else to say really. Excited for people to justify this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

So you think our brightest scientists and doctors are following the money instead of trying to discover more about the virus?

How did you come to that conclusion?

It's not peculiar at all, it's quite simple really, he doesn't know what he's doing and for some reason he decides to talk in front of a mic anyway

Looking at today's COVID figures 6,307 new cases, 2 days ago we breached 50% omicron, I can't see it reaching the NPHET figure of 20,000 daily cases at this rate of increase

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,253 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

So you mean to tell me that NPHET's modelling system was way off? Again?

Advertisement