Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PV Feed In Tariff

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭reklamos

They completely missed the point didn't they? The goal is to attract public to install PVs and not to deter? We already have PVs installed and for us FIT would be nice to have, but for the ones that do not have it yet, a proper FIT may sway them to get PV installed and possibly go for bigger ones. But now who in the right mind is going to pay 1K first, to get back 50-100Euro a year from FIT? It will take 10-20 years just to break even.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

And the idiots are out protesting covid instead of things that matter...

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Barrak

New to forum & PV...glad I looked before committing to anything. EV user, Zappi and hub in situ already. Have solar hot water heating already.

Quote from company in Cork: 7699e for 5kW hybrid Sonnen Battery

5649e for 12 Q Cell panels 4kWh & 500e or so quote installation bits and pieces

Then 3k off for SEAI grants.

I have a few questions:

1. value of Sonnen battery>other options...seem to be expensive+
    2. Need for battery at all in first place if have EV (though not WFH so will mainly be dependant on night meter except weekends)
    3. Am I being ripped off in quote...gut says yes!?

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

There's a 2022 quote thread, better off posting it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭freddyuk

I do not think many private household installations are going to be "Mini" but rather "Micro" so the up front payment may be moot. Micro installations are less likely to overload the network which will require upgrades by ESB?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

It's all a polite PFO attitude

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭TheWonderLlama

• home-owners will be eligible to receive a Clean Export Guarantee (CEG) tariff, for any exported electricity, at a competitive market rate from their electricity supplier
    • home-owners will continue to be able to apply to the Sustainable Energy Authority of Ireland (SEAI) for a grant towards the cost of installing equipment. In 2022, the grants will be at the same level per kW as the current SEAI solar PV grant scheme (maximum €2,400)

Non-domestic applicants:

• they will also be eligible to receive the Clean Export Guarantee (CEG) tariff, for any exported electricity, at a competitive market rate from their electricity supplier
    • projects between 6kW and 50kW will receive a Clean Export Premium (CEP) tariff per kWh exported, for a period of 15 years, from their electricity supplier. The Clean Export Premium (CEP) will be €0.135/kWh in 2022, which is higher than the current average wholesale electricity price. Any difference between the CEP tariff and wholesale electricity prices will be supported by the Public Service Obligation (PSO) levy. Exported volumes of electricity eligible for the Clean Export Premium (CEP) tariff will be capped at 80% of generation capacity – to incentivise self-consumption
    • it is expected that the Clean Export Premium (CEP) will commence in Q3 2022, when a payment mechanism is determined by the Commission for Regulation of Utilities (CRU)
    • businesses, farms, community buildings such as schools, sports clubs, generating up to 5.9kW will be eligible for a Sustainable Energy Authority of Ireland (SEAI) grant at the same levels as domestic customers. This specific grant will be available later in 2022

Community Participation:

Community enterprises including sports clubs and community halls will be eligible to participate, either as individual micro-generators or as community projects within the MSS.

Scheme Review:

Supports under the MSS will gradually reduce over time from 2024, based on reaching specific deployment milestones. It is expected that supports for new installations will begin to be phased out from 2028 (see the summary table in the Notes section).

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭cromelex

Who will be eligible for the Micro-generation Support Scheme (MSS)

• capital grants are available for domestic applicants. Capital grants are available for on-domestic applicants for installations up to 5.9kW
    • homes built pre-2021 are eligible
    • buildings will not have to meet a minimum BER (Building Energy Rating) standard, even after any new equipment is installed, to be included in the Micro-generation Support Scheme (MSS)
    • the Clean Export Premium (CEP) is available to non-domestic applicants for installations from 6kW to 50kW

How you can apply for the Micro-generation Support Scheme (MSS)

The capital grants are a continuation of the existing grants from the Sustainable Energy Authority of Ireland (SEAI) for domestic applicants, which will transition into the Micro-generation Support Scheme (MSS) grant from January 2021. Applications can be made at the Sustainable Energy Authority of Ireland (SEAI) website (Solar Electricity PV Grants | Home Energy Grants | SEAI). The third phase of the enabling framework will see the extension of the grant scheme to non-domestic applicants up to 5.9kW in the Summer of 2022. This will be administered by the Sustainable Energy Authority of Ireland (SEAI).

Am I reading right, they are extending the grants to anything built up until 2021?

I am buying a new build which will be finished early next year, looks like I am out of luck and won't be eligible for any grant if I get PV installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,115 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Am I reading right, they are extending the grants to anything built up until 2021?

Yea, seems so. They had a requiement before that your house had to be pre-2011. They have moved that now to pre-2021. Not sure why they are excluding new houses. Maybe new houses need to have it anyway to meet building regs?.... seems a bit odd that they rule out new houses but it is alot better than the previous arbitrary date of pre-2011.

The grants are changing too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭jkforde

the fact that this is sadly true is criminal, on top of the fact that the incumbent providers are cynically gouging genuinely interested customers. and regulatory insiders getting paid fat wages for doing SFA on behalf of consumers.

/rant 😂

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

Anyone down for a class action suit against the man?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Class action? Yeah - I'd be willing to chuck a few quid into that pot! :-)

Seriously though, there may well be things "behind the scenes" which they are not telling us which have sound logical arguments. For example, I've always maintained that the piss poor smart rates that they are offering now is a deliberate ploy to discourage people looking for a smart meter "en masse". ESB networks have 2.4 million (!) of these things to install by 2024. If you think about the logistics for a sec, if you install 2,000 meters every day, 200 working days a year, that's like 5+ years!! Think of the manpower it takes to organize and install 2,000 meters a day every day of the working week. What they don't want are good smart tariffs and you have Joe Duffy telling all the OAP to phone up ESB networks and get a "newfangled smart meter" for free and save a tenner a month with the doing the washing at 3am on a timer. You can imagine the carnage and the riots that old missus Noggins can't avail etc.

The problem i have with this though is the complete lack of transparency. If that is the rational then tell people. If ESB networks need 3-4 years to upgrade the local step down transformers to support current in the opposite way. Tell people. This obfuscation of information and

"We're looking at a consultation process to look into that topic and then come up with a plan"

when they know the score is......nonsense. I wouldn't get tired kicking them..... :-)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Capped at 5.9kW, hmmm, can see a lot of surplus 6kW inverters, silly stuff

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Mr Q

I think that is for the grant part. But it is 6kW for the export limit on the gov.ie site, so not 100% clear

You can apply for an export grid connection up to 6kW single-phase or 11kW three-phase directly through ESB Networks

Sounds like the kwh payment will be 5 to 6c if they only pay 30% - that's if we will not get shafted on "standing fees" and higher kwh prices on those tariffs.

I exported around 1500kwh this year, in other words f*** all payback on that.

Batteries are the way to go, as we confirm over and over.

"Batteries are the way to go, as we confirm over and over."

+1 there brother. "Power-to-the-People" seems somewhat apt here.....while I hope a fair minded reasonable FIT will be delivered at some stage (I reckon 2024 it will happen) as that will further encourage a solar uptake, my plan is to consume as much as I can myself via batteries. Problem is that i need about 30-40Kwhr to be fairly covered. I guess when they get a standard on the EV car-to-house sorted, this is the way.

Yeah I'm in the same boat, need at the very least 20kwh usable battery.

Last week I asked BMW if the new i4 M50 has vehicle to home and they looked at me like I was insane 😂

Not that you can actually get one until 2023 or later anyway.

Such a waste of all those 80kwh batteries 😭

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭digiman

If you have a new house that was built between 2011 and 2021 and you had PV installed as part of the build, do you think you would still be eligible to get a grant not to upgrade the existing system? I'd like to install more panels and also a battery.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

That is likely but won't know for sure until it changes officially.

Also it will be likely the best option is replace the whole thing than upgrade or add to the existing panels

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭blobert

Quick question for this for anyone knowledgeable with this.

We're building a house at the moment that has planning permission to have up to 100 solar panels (so potentially up to 45-50kw+ of power if we used large panels). The house will have 3 phase power to allow greater export of electricity.

How many panels we'll put up depends on the feed in tariffs. Initially this looked like it would be a rubbish offering however it looks like at the larger end of this it could be much better. I saw this: https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/bfe21-homes-farms-businesses-and-communities-to-benefit-as-minister-ryan-announces-the-micro-generation-support-scheme/

Which says:

• projects between 6kW and 50kW will receive a Clean Export Premium (CEP) tariff per kWh exported, for a period of 15 years, from their electricity supplier. The Clean Export Premium (CEP) will be €0.135/kWh in 2022, which is higher than the current average wholesale electricity price. Any difference between the CEP tariff and wholesale electricity prices will be supported by the Public Service Obligation (PSO) levy. Exported volumes of electricity eligible for the Clean Export Premium (CEP) tariff will be capped at 80% of generation capacity – to incentivise self-consumption

Now if I'm reading this right this would seem to be a great offer. If I could get 13.5c per kWh and assuming the rate remained fixed at the wholesale rate+ a decent premium this would seem pretty great. Also if I can get paid for 80% of the electricity, ie export the majority (we'd easily use the other 20%) that would be fine.

Where there might be an issue is it says this is for "non domestic applicants" ie businesses, community centres etc and we're a home. Though I suspect the distinction might be more in terms of the amount of power being generated, ie there won't be many homes with 30kW+ of panels. I suppose if needs be I could set it up buying the panels through my company and it being the recipient of the tariffs though that would be more complex.

If anyone had any advice on this I'd appreciate it.

Post edited by blobert on

Your banned in advance for entering PV details into our spreadsheet - LOL!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

That high feed in tariff is only for business connections, not domestic as far as I can tell. (Its the dsg? Code on the electric bill).

Residential will get the minimum of 0c/kwh on the CEP and that is dependant on your provider.

But if your planning that size of array, I'm not sure what type of connection you'll have.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭niallers1

Has this scheme died, It was announced with great fanfare. When do we start getting paid for exporting ?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,316 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

It has been announced 23.8 times in the last 5 years 😂

Forget about it, get a battery.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,261 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

So we're buying a new build in Lithuania, and it's coming with a 5kWp system fitted as standard.

So checking out the various plans they have some interesting options;

1. (I guess this is effectively Net metering?) - They pay me €0.05 for every kWh I feed into the grid, but I can then buy that energy back for the same €0.05 at a later date (that night, or later in the month etc.... I presume at the end of every billing cycle they work out whether you owe them, or they owe you. The counter resets in April every year, Presumably to not allow people build up huge sums of electricity that they can take at a later date.
    2. Guaranteed payment based on system size. This is a non runner, as they'll simply pay €3.50 for every kWp installed, so our 5kWp system will earn us about €15/month, guaranteed for 12 months of the year, and whatever feeds into the grid is irrelevant as they take it all. 100% non runner given it'll be a holiday home and will be idle for at least 10 months of the year or so.
    3. 3rd option is you feed in what you feed in, don't receive any payment for it, but you can take back 59% of the amount you feed in completely free of charge (dont see any benefit to this over option 1
    4. option 4 is a mix of 1 & 2, where you get €1.59 per kWp installed (so for us €7.95/month), and then €0.026 for every kWh we feed in... and the same price to buy it back again from them.

All these options, particularly option 1 pretty much rule out the case for installing a battery as the grid will effectively be the battery.

Winters there can get quite cold (-20 not uncommon), and the heating will be electric (electric radiators to begin with, but we are also having ducting installed during the build for air to air heat pump/AC), so having some built up electricity credits will be very helpful allowing us to keep the place warm & dry during winters...

would be really nice to see some genuine options like this in Ireland...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Net metering is a nice option to have. Is there any caps on the maximum amount you can accrue within the Apr - Mar annual period?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,261 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I’m not too sure yet, I’ve so far only read a sort of bullet point explainer of each tariff.

I need to dig a little deeper as I want to be crystal clear on what im signing up for as I anticipate a lot of generation going to the grid…

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭case_sensitive

I'm having **** out for a looksee at how many panels they can get on my D18 roof on Saturday. 4-way split Pitch is a bit stupid, small bit faces south-ish (and north-ish) big parts west and east-ish. Their first unimaginative offering is 2900Kwp, 8 panels, shown below. €29 pm for 10 years if you sign over the grant, it's really not a lot.

The hope is to get at least 4kwp, and ideally 6 up there, no battery for now, not from them anyway, more than doubles their monthly charge. Using 21Kwh per day over the year now, so about 66% of our own use, if we could use it all (which we won't, presumably). They've assured me their system is expandable, so I'll be able to tack on batteries, EDDI etc.

It's not ideal, but I don't have any liquid cash and borrowing isn't appealing (though if it works out very expensive, I'll have to).

I've written to 3 electricity suppliers (Airtricity, Energia, Electric Ireland), asking them what their feed-in tariffs are going to be after July, pointing out they're obliged to offer them (?), and that it'll be my main consideration when choosing a supplier (contract with Energia is up in May).

Post edited by case_sensitive on

• Advertisement

Good luck with the answers back about the FIT from July.....they were supposed to have it rolled out by July (last year), then December. etc. They did "announce" that there would be an announcement (LOL), but so far very limited details from suppliers. They will roll it out when they absolutely have to give up the free leccie they are getting.

The finances are never easy. I paid €8500 for my own, but reckon it'll save me €800-€1000 a year in electricity reductions, so in some respects getting a loan and paying back the principle and interest isn't that bad, as your savings in leccie helps pay the loan. Also easier if you can pay a fair chunk of that up front and only borrow a few K. It's hugely advantageous to get as much as you can in one go. While it's true that you can add on at a later stage, it turns out to be much more expensive doing it that way.....much.

From the google snap, the house should be well capable of hosting 5Kwp. They don't have to be "portrait" either on the roof but landscape might fit more in on the roofs you have shown,.

Advertisement