Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry Airport - News & Updates

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Casati

Has there been any further public announcements re the DUB-KIR route? Is it going to stay I wonder, fingers crossed we don't see Emerald Air on it anytime soon

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,169 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

I don’t think Ryanair will be staying on it long term …

• Registered Users Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Masala

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,768 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Have been on it a number of times now over the past few months. Always about 30-35% load factor I would estimate.

• Advertisement

I don't dislike Emerald but I'd bet you anything if they take over the fare will be back to the typical €95 'advance purchase price' that Aerlingus/ Stobart Air had, which is just too expensive for most people - certainly too expensive for me.

Ryanair typical €40/ €45 fare is cheaper than the train and cheaper than petrol/ diesel. If it was advertised I could see the load factor increasing greatly, especially when tourism gets back to normal

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,169 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Because it’s not sustainable unless there’s suddenly an almighty shift in peoples domestic travel behavior… unlikely.

Ryanair are flying very very low number of passengers on the route relative to the capacity their jets provide. There are no doubt many many other routes they can fly in the future where they can actually fill that plane and make more money on fares. So it wouldn’t make business sense for them to continue with the route as it is. Maybe they’ll create a market for it but they didn’t before and same for Dublin-Cork route so I think it’s very unlikely.

Ryanair have proven they are able to change peoples travel behaviour with all their weird routes where they get tens of thousands flying into places they had never heard of before - a bit of local promotion would get a lot of people like me who typically Visit Dublin weekly moving off the train/ car onto the plane. Dublin- Cork is now less than two hours driving so flying make no sense from a time perspective so its not the same as Kerry which is generally 3.5 hours driving time.

I also applaud Ryanair for not taking public money to operate this route- where as Emerald will no doubt be going cap in hand for money if they take on the route in the future. Its a route that could also drive a lot of tourism into Kerry, something that doesn't seem to be marketed

I also applaud Ryanair for not taking public money to operate this route-

.....they might regret it now that they are on the route and they not getting the numbers they swore they would get!!! It must be hitting them badly in the pocket. Loads of tourist interlined into Kerry and that option now gone. Also different terminals a big problem. Not everything Ryanair touches turns to gold..... and they no Mother Teresa when it comes to having the hand out for financial supports.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭faoiarvok

It’s not “cap in hand” when the Government is actually asking companies to tender for a contract…

• Advertisement

Good point re booking through to KIR- I did it myself on trips to the U.S. and often the cost difference between DUB or KIR as destination was minimal - equally though the domestic market going to Kerry on holidays is massive, or indeed going there as part of a trip starting and ending in Dublin.

Is there a source you have for getting the numbers flying on this (or any) route?

Passenger numbers for all airports can be found on the CSO site under Aviation Stats.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Dublin route down to 1 daily until the end of the month

All other Ryanair routes dropped for the month with the exception of 3x weekly Luton

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭embraer170

Hahn is now cancelled for February too. The UK routes are still bookable.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭lordleitrim

In the absence of new routes, its nice to see increased frequencies for Alicante, Faro and Manchester.

A pity the Berlin flight isn't coming back.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,768 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Alas, it never even had the opportunity to get off the ground to begin with.

Considering how strong Kerry is as a destination in the German market, it's strange that no progress has been made in developing routes between Kerry and Germany. Indeed, the frequency to Hahn is a lot less now than it was in the early years.

You would think that there'd be scope for a service to, say, Glasgow too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Why hasn't the Berlin flight come back though? It seemed to be pretty popular. I only flew it once but it was pretty close to full, and this was in January.

Came across this article too about a possible flight to Amsterdam being turned down, although I couldn't read due to the paywall.

To be honest I'm not entirely sure how viable this would've been with daily flights from Cork. Might've been demand for a late morning flight as the Cork ones are 6am? Who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭Sikpupi

Ryanair are out of Schoenfeld..... and told they have to operate out of Brandenburg Airport. This is a full-cost airport with all the big boys flying in there (Aer Lingus/ Lufthansa/ Air France etc) and Ryanair wont pay the charges ... simple as!!!

'BERLIN' is now Brandenberg - there is no Tegal or Schoenfeld anymore.

Ryanair will pay the charges out of Dublin where they will get the fares and the masses ( as in the same model they have into Amsterdam...) as they have no choice but at least they are guaranteed to fill same at high fares. The days of flying to Berlin from Kerry for €100 return are GONE GONE GONE.

Same for any operator who thinks they can start a service from Kerry to Amsterdam Schipol..... the airport charges are going to be full charges and the key Landing slots will be kept for the big boys. Why would Kerry people think there is a need for an Amsterdam route.... it La La Land stuff.

Thanks for the explanation. Always good to know why functional routes disappear even if it isn't always what we want to hear!

Would there be any workable route to another European capital from Kerry where the airport charges wouldn't be so high?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,447 ✭✭✭✭cson

Eindhoven might work as a gateway to Amsterdam.

Weeze was attempted in 2010 (or was it 2011) but it didn't last longer than a season.

Had no idea Weeze was ever a thing

Three flights a week was very optimistic at best for a town both an hour's drive from Dusseldorf and with very poor public transport links.

Any other Kerry routes that have been and gone over the years?

Weeze isn't so badly located (probably better than Hahn). Fairly close to very densely populated parts of Belgium / the Netherlands / Germany.

In terms of other routes:

Aer Arann Kerry - Lorient in 2005ish.

Ryanair Kerry - Liverpool around 2006 (a switch from Cork protesting about airport charges). It might have been tried a second time some years later but I'm not 100% sure.

Ryanair Kerry - Grenoble tried for one winter season in 2008-2009.

Summer (Sunday?) Aer Lingus Kerry - Frankfurt / Kerry - Düsseldorf (sometimes via Dublin or a triangle) in the mid-1990s after the new runway opened. That market was later captured by Ryanair's Hahn flight.

Crossair summer charters to Zurich also in the 1990s.

Ryanair just put out their summer 2023 Kerry press release, which seems to include a little error:

"Ryanair, Europe’s no.1 airline, today (23 Jan) announced its new Kerry schedule for summer 2023, with 7 routes incl. popular summer hotspots like Alicante and Palma, as well as city break destinations like London, Manchester and Frankfurt.

With 7% more capacity than S22, Ryanair will carry over 350,000 passengers to/from Kerry Airport this summer, boosting tourism and connectivity for the region while supporting over 430 local jobs.  

Ryanair’s Kerry summer 2023 schedule will deliver:

7 routes

76 weekly flights

7% capacity growth on S22

Increased frequencies on popular routes – Alicante & Manchester

350,000 passengers to/from Kerry

Supporting over 430 local jobs"

I count 7 routes without Palma, so I'm guessing it was mixed up with Faro. The 7% capacity growth is good news.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭lordleitrim

Would be nice if Emerald considered some provincial UK city routes from Kerry. While Ryanair are doing a great job and apparently pax numbers to Dublin have doubled from 2019 since they took over from Stobart in the interim, I'm wary of having a single airline monopolising the commercial schedule of an airport.

I think Lanzarote, Birmingham and some French or Italian leisure destination would be great additions for the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,162 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Problem with Emerald airlines is the ATR's, fares would be too high to any UK city, leaving plenty of room for Ryanair to obliterate them.

If stobart didn't do those routes when they flew to Kerry, there's absolutely no chance now.

Airport is also limited by runway size I think I've heard before, a flight to Lanzarote may not be viable.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,447 ✭✭✭✭cson

ORK & SNN are each only 1.5hrs from KIR too.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Board Walker

A bus and two trains to get to Amsterdam from Eindhoven. Not ideal

• Advertisement

True about the bus, but the trains from Eindhoven Central run every 10-15 minutes. Four trains an hour are direct, and one or two require a 4-5 min change in Utrecht (1 hour 20 min journey time for the train part).

I think the bigger issue is that Eindhoven has its own slot issues and is not even a Ryanair base anymore.

Advertisement