Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fox’s

Options
  • 17-12-2021 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Pinoy adventure

Hi all

we have discovered we have a family of foxes in our back garden.there is a wooden shed up the back of the garden with a large amount of overgrown bushes (the neighbours) behind it.

we believe and have seen at least 4 foxes there over the last couple of months.

today we noticed a large amount of poo in our back garden and we don’t have dogs.

our neighbours have a pet birds which they keep in there back garden.

we would like too get rid of the foxes somehow but don’t know where too start.

we are Dublin City based so who should be call or get out too help us get rid of them.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,686 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

And maybe get a guy with a rifle in your garden.

It's funny old World. One person wants rid of foxes & I have just fed mine. They are territorial so, when they are shot or trapped, more will move in to occupy the free territory. I feel really honoured to have such beautiful, amazing wildlife in my garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,686 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I'm exactly the same, but I can understand if somebody isn't comfortable with them in their garden too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭phonypony

I'm not too keen about the couple times I've stepped into their mess on the way out of the house to work early morning, or having to shovel up their mess in the back yard, or the 3 or 4 times a month they wake me up screaming and barking at 2am...

But they're fascinating creatures to watch, out on the street or nesting in the garden. They've been in my area for about 25 years and, if they help to keep mice and rats away, I wouldn't be in a rush to get rid of them

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭ec_pc

Yes, they are fascinating creatures. At the start of this year I noticed a fox regularly came in across the front garden at night time (we live in country side). Then we noticed she used to approach one of the patio doors at the rear at night and look in at us, not sure who would get the bigger fright when we noticed her through the glass.

I googled was it appropriate to feed wild foxes and apparently it is, so we feed her very night. Some nights I can hear her rustling in the shadows waiting for the food and other nights it could be 4:30 am before she comes to eat the food. I place the bowl of food just under one of the cctv cameras so we can check her if the kids ask. I have been within 3-4 feet of her and it was amazing, she seems to be quite relaxed in our company.

Just last week I noticed her in the garden one morning about 10 am. I went out and gave her some food and she came and ate it just beside the window. She finished and spent about 15 minutes sitting half way down the garden. It was amazing to see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,843 ✭✭✭billyhead

There becoming more urbanised these days. My Mum lives in a build up housing estate in Dublin and often sees a fox walking along her back wall. There's a park nearby so there must be a den their. They keep the rats away anyway.

My Vixen turned up with a boyfriend so I have had to buy double chicken :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32 matt.v

I agree with everyone else. I'm not sure if when you say birds you're referring to poultry or an aviary, but both hugely draw rats. A fox is a good deterrent for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,049 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

I live in suburban dublin 15. Lots of foxes around us. Unfortunately lots being killed by cars as well. Been lucky enough to see adult foxes as well as cubs. They've definely become more prevalent and braver over lockdowns. I'd love to have them in my garden, especially since our resident hedgehog left us :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

Yep, Foxes are fantastic Rat killers.

Have a look at them on youtube videos doing the job.

The only problem with them is they carry diseases and they kill birds when they get the chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭ec_pc

• Registered Users Posts: 20,049 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Just another cat that showed up for a free feed from the farm down the road. 😉

He would come around for a feed and was pretty fearless. I had my phone and wondered how fearless and stretched out my hand while awkwardly taking the photo with the other. Last seen a year or so ago with a vixen friend off out in the dark, possibly with offspring, then unfortunately he stopped coming around. Poor things don't live long in the wild - a couple of years in his case I'd guess, but can live 24 or so years as pets.

The Government should be more proactive in banning fox hunting. It's a horrendous hobby.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

Not sure what to make of that website. From the language, they don't seem to be very wildlife-friendly, nor have much love for foxes. Not sure if they are the good guys some might be led to believe they are. Have a nasty feeling they take the foxes away and just kill them.

I'm surprised that he'd not getting hassled by the cats! Usually, cats are quite territorial and will get all uppity with a fox if he comes into their garden and bully him away. The only time I've seen foxes and cats get along is (similar with dogs) when they have been raised together from a young age etc so have gotten used to each other's company.

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Pinoy adventure

Oh they have an aviary with budgies inside which is located in there back garden

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

We have a Fox that visits us on occasion. He likes to leave a dump in our garden. We have about 8 pigeons who are eating every berry off every tree in our garden and leaving nothing for the other birds.

How do I train the Fox to eat the pigeons?

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭iknorr

• Advertisement

Well, I have a house in the rural estate and have yet to see any wildlife at all in it apart from a few songbirds. I'm very envious of your foxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Deub

But they would need to implement measures to control the population. Otherwise it would impact the rest of wildlife foxes prey on.

Hunting doesn't control foxes. As soon as you remove a fox, you provide a vacant territory for the next one to move into.

Correct, Foxes breeding rates are dependent on available territories and food supplies, they are in effect a self regulating species.

There is no such thing as an over population of Foxes, only a natural population based on local resources.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

A few years ago I was doing a night course in TCD and was absolutely astonished to see a fox walking though the campus as calm as you can be, not bothered at all by all the people all around. I've often wondered how they got right into the city centre and somehow survived there. Pheonix park maybe?,though thats a long way to TCD.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Yes, yes of course the stupid animals need the smart humans to help them keep population in check, not like they were doing it before us.

There was a fox that was constantly seen on Grafton Street during lockdown. I wonder if they have a den in Stephens Green or Merrion Square Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Fox walked past our back door the other day, broad daylight. Couple of chicken coops and lots of rats around so I hope they help get rid of them. The rats I mean. Also I see quite a few dead ones on the roads. They are hardy creatures that manage to survive somehow. They give me hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Deub

Did I say this? I didn’t

Foxes are in populated areas for a reason: they find food (rubbish bins, rats, people feeding them)

In normal circumstances (no human impact), the fox population should fluctuate with the prey population. A lot preys, the fox population will go up. Foxes eat them, the prey population goes down which brings down the fox population.

Humans feeding foxes breaks the natural cycle because even if the preys are scare, the fox population doesn’t go down.

• Advertisement

So what if Humans do break the natural cycle by feeding Foxes...you could say the same thing about feeding birds.

It's a pointless argument.

Advertisement