Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

The monitor, the multiple angles of slow motion replays, the VAR team, it's all there to make sure they come to the correct decision, to consciously make the decision not to use them isn't even something you can call a mistake, if you consciously do something then it's a deliberate action to avoid coming to the correct decision.

It is not up to the officials to decide games, or the incidents in games based on their personal feelings towards a player or team, the rules are black and white. The whole of football knows it was a red for Kane, and that it was a penalty for the Jota incident. It's blatant dishonesty what happened yesterday, the worst officiating since the introduction of VAR. They had all the tools at their disposal to come to the correct call, and refused to use them based on their personal feelings towards the players or team involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,644 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

You're right, but it's not a one orr, and it's not because it's nice guy Harry either. Only on Saturday, serial offender Xaka for Arsenal got away with a studs in tackle too, clearly premeditated and true to form for him, only a yellow card.

Referee decision making in the EPL is the pits.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Infoseeker1975

Yesterday match was so frustrating but it is so impressive to be able to get a draw with a midfield of Morton [finding his feet as a kid], a returning from injury Milner where Klopp at most would want him on for the last 25 mins and another injured player in Keita returning who Klopp probably wanted an hour from.

The ref has given us 11 yellows and a red in 3 domestic games this year, we have had only 16 yellows in the other 17 games. Perhaps Tierney just dishes out more cards. It is well beyond time that a few foreign refs were given a chance or at least cover the VAR to remove the pal element.

For us, I think the feeling of injustice will help as Klopp will harness it into a positive, it will give us that extra edge to go through the wall together and we just need some luck with AFCON on whether it is on and if it is then what league games we will miss.

I think we will have a great season, I want the league cup so Klopp can add more trophies as personally I think he is so unlucky to be in the era of State run clubs though I think it will be no easier in the next 10yrs once Newcastle get going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

From David Ornstein,

PGMOL on why the Kane tackle didn't go to VAR shows a stunning lack of understanding from the group who referee the game in England.

The Athletic understands the main reason for the VAR not punishing Kane more was that Robertson was jumping when fouled — meaning the England captain did not catch him as badly as Robertson did Royal.

So Robbo should have taken the tackle and let Kane break his leg for it to be deemed a red card according to PGMOL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Ridiculous rule. Just because he’s Scottish, he has to be a martyr? It’s a bit xenophobic from PGMOL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

So does jumping not actually mean Kane's foot was higher then where he connected so even more cause for a red card.

It's like the refs are suggesting, no wait they came out and made it clear that they want the player to get a broken leg, then they'll send Kane off, but because Robertson saved himself, it's okay with them

Elliott didn't get that chance to jump out of the way, but they gave a red card to the player who tackled him, even though everyone knew it was a freak accident, not a high footed out of control sliding wipe everything out tackle like in the Kane Robertson incident.

Dangerous game the Refs are playing, and it's the players well-being on the line

That's exactly what they're saying.

That's how they decided to give Shluk the red when Elliot got injured, his lunge wasn't even a foul until red realised the leg was broken, then he gave the red.

It's a poor way to decide IMHO, but that's EPL referees for ya.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,197 ✭✭✭McFly85

That is shocking in fairness, and shows VAR won’t get better without wholesale changes in England. Both decisions against Liverpool doubled down on by PGMOL with insane reasoning.

So now we know that slowing down in the box = looking for a penalty and you can’t get a red card if the player fouled protects himself from serious injury, apparently

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

it says it all about harry kane that he hasn't apologised to robbo,but doubled down on his innocence.

Kane should have gotten at least 3 red cards last season for backing into players while they were in the air he is a nasty dirty player however he is also the England captain so the English media and pundits will use the "he isn't that kind of player" nonsense when that is exactly what he is.

If that was Xhaka who tackled Kane like that yesterday he would be run out of the Country.

There was nothing made of it yesterday, but he was also very high and reckless when Allison was dealing with a dodgy baxkpass before half time, Allison just about cleared it but Kane came flying at him Kung Foo style attempting the block - there may have even been contact with Allison's foot in the follow through, but Allison was complaining to the ref afterwards.

Very reckless from a lad on a yellow card in normal circumstances.

Specsavers getting in on the act

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭ballyargus

That type of behaviour is all the rage in the UK atm, particularly if you're a position of leadership

Listening to Jude Bellingham speak about getting the vaccine and booster I really want to see this young man play under Klopp he is a natural leader.

If there is one player for FSG to break the club record transfer I think it should be on him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

Did Robertson apologise to Japhet Tanganga for his nasty tackle on him last year that went unpunished? If not, what does that say about him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Enzokk

You mean that tackle where both players stretched for the ball? No similarity with Harry Kane lunging off his feet with his studs up so your whataboutery doesn't work with this one. Will have to try again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Enzokk

I wonder what is going to happen with the match on the 28th December against Leicester. If there are no further disruption due to Covid cases it is going to be tough on the players, having to play 2 matches in 3 days. But add in possible disruption due to more cases it would be hard to see how we can fulfill the fixture. This ridiculous "tradition" needs to be reevaluated as it is not fit for purpose any longer. The only team that will have no problem is City, and they have spent more than a billion pounds to buy a squad that has enough depth to ensure they will not face any problems even with injuries or illness.

At least we play Leicester who will be in the same situation as we are with the upcoming EFL Cup match as well. Luckily they decided no replays in the FA Cup, that at least gives some leeway to postpone future matches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭steve_r

Koop hates that game on the 28th. I think a lot depends on whether the covid players are able to play.

If so I think it’ll be something similar to the ac Milan game - a rotated team to a certain extent. I’d say Mane and Salah will play every game before they go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Even if you wanted to play heavily rotated teams with 7 or 8 different players in both games, there is still the whole COVID issue hanging over the club at the minute.

For example, Klopp decides that Keita & Ox are going to play 90 mins each. One in each game. That position becomes completely rotated.

Klopp says to Ox, 'ok you're not playing today because you're going to start and play 90 mins on the 28th instead'. Keita plays the 90 on the 26th.

Then the morning the 28th, Ox tests positive and the plans are all thrown out. Who plays now instead? Someone that just played 90 mins on the 26th? A kid?

• Advertisement

Simple answer, a kid.

If the EFL have so little regard for their competition and for the teams in it to dump a round into the middle of an always crammed Xmas schedule, then Fvck them. Meet the competition with the same contempt, play who you can with the minimal disruption possible to the EPL games.

It's nuts having these games next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,041 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Never cared so little about a quarter final! Priority should be making sure no one gets overplayed. Bonus if we come out with a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Robert2014

What’s the story with the Top 100 footballers in The Guardian? Is it the best footballers this year? Because there are not 97 better footballers than Fabinho?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

Few, if any, players as good in that role as Fabinho. He should be in the top 25. Already there's a few head scratchers on that list.

When I saw Luke Shaw ahead of the like of Fabinho, Firmino, Jota, Joao Felix, I said, yea I've enough of that list, and closed it.😄

Some quotes from Pep at the league cup presser.

PL on any discussions with PGMOL after the weekend “No. everyone saw what happened. Everyone makes mistakes. If Jürgen or myself make big mistakes we get punished, if the players make mistakes they get punished. If a referee makes mistakes the players and team get punished

Pep Lijnders on current Covid status "Covid cases really influenced our preparations (for Spurs) - Virgil, Fab, Thiago, Curtis are not in the building, they are at home. I just pray for all the people who have to go to hospital. We will not rush them back

Origi Still not training with the team. He’s our top scorer in this competition!

If the ref can tell Klopp to get over it after another game then only fair Klopp can tell the same ref he only has issues with him. Don't forget this is the same ref who last season when Mane was about to go clean through v Utd he blew up early for HT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

I wasn't even aware it was on this week till I saw your post just now! Couldn't care less either

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

Honestly i'd love if Klopp and Rodgers got together and decided to play their under 16's sides to make a point about how farcical the current situation is.

• Advertisement

I think Klopp will play some of the younger members of the squad anyways, where possibly.

Kelleher & Neco will play.

Konate & Gomez should play.

There are some questions about whether Morton & Tsimikas are going to be needed more so in the league so can't afford to be 'risked' here, or overplayed. Keita & Milner fall into this category too. 4 CMs out is a lot, and having 4 more at the risk of being overplayed makes the decisions difficult. This is also forcing Klopp's hand about using Milner is either LB or CM.

Its a shame that Origi is out as he would have started but I would guess that we will see a front 3 of Taki, Gordon & Bobby getting 60 mins under his belt.

Konate will likely play at the weekend, he's next up after Virgil surely, I wouldn't risk him tomorrow. Gomez could do with a game though.

Likewise Milner and Naby, 90 minutes on Sunday will surely mean their involvement tomorrow will be short if any at all.

Play the kids - certainly hope Kelleher gets the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,393 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

We only have Konate, Gomez and Matip since VVD has COVID and Phillips broke his cheekbone.

I'd wonder if Gomez is anywhere near fit enough to be starting - he's only played a couple of minutes over the past 8 weeks, and only finally even made it back onto the bench last week. Seems his recovery from last season's big injury is going fairly slowly still...

Did Leicester do a pre match conference? I can't recall seeing any.

I'm not actually sure if they are mandatory in the league cup or not, I guess I'm just used to always having one. But either way, we don't know the current state of affairs with Leicester. Have they COVID or not, are the injuries at CB cleared up etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

With the changes to the isolation rules could we see the lads back for Sunday ?

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

Yes.

If VVD & Jones test negative twice tomorrow, they can train tomorrow afaik. Fabinho seemed like he was a day later, with Thiago after that again.

I think Thiago will nearly definitely be out of Leeds. But possible for Leicester league game, if he tests negative twice and is ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

I read today its Christmas eve they could be back training if they are symptom free and pass tests today and tomorrow. The tests Klopp mentioned last week were the initial club lateral flow tests, they then had to go and get a PCR test the result of which wouldn't be available until the day after the game so last Friday. Leeds comes too soon IMO but every chance for Leicester which is still very helpful as far as rotation goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Surely if they test negative twice then it shouldn't matter when they tested positive,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Are we on any kind of tv channel tonight ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

If you're looking for non UK/Ireland for potential streams it's on DAZN in Canada and ESPN in the US so there should be streams in all the usual places.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

What are the Covid protocol rules for players testing positive? Is it whatever the British government have stated for everyone?

For example*, in the NFL I believe if you're unvaccinated and test positive you're gone for 10 days (isolating), asymptomatic or not. After that if you're asymptomatic you can test and if negative twice in 24 hours you're free to rejoin the team. But if vaccinated and get a positive test, you isolate (for no set time) but if asymptomatic you can rejoin the team if you test negative twice in 24 hours.

The NFL also don't test everyone, unvaccinated are tested regularly and vaccinated are tested randomly so not the most rigorous process.

*this could have changed since I last looked at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

The government set the rules. It was ten days isolation, they've changed it to seven so long as there's no symptoms and you pass a test on day 6 and 7.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭steve_r

Match isn’t on Sky sports this evening. Bit annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭robwen

Liverpool: Kelleher, Bradley, Koumetio, Gomez, Tsimikas, Morton, Henderson, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Williams, Minamino, Firmino.

Subs: Pitaluga, Konate, Milner, Keita, Jota, Gordon, Beck, Quansah, Woltman

• Advertisement

Interesting to see Neco preferred at wing-forward over Gordon... would've expected they'd make up the right flank together.

Also nice to see Quansah on back-to-back benches too. Hopefully a good sign that he might be seen as one of the next crop to come through a bit. Bit surprised that of the kids, Koumetio has gotten the nod as a starter though - Koumetio is certainly bigger, but Quansah is the better defender, and the more mobile.

Otherwise, decent enough balance between kids and seniors... would've probably been more cautious myself even. Really hope Gomez comes through it injury free!

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Infoseeker1975

Egypt have confirmed that Salah can play v Chelsea on Jan 2nd before heading to Cameroon so hopefully he will only miss Brentford (H) and Palace (A)

Smashing. I'd say the same will be the case of all the Afcon lads across the league. Huuuge help to us though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Rodgers is definitely taking this seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭robwen

Strong Leicester team,

Schmeichel, Ricardo, Ndidi, Soyuncu, Thomas, Soumare, Dewsbury-Hall, Tielemans, Maddison, Daka, Vardy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement