Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

S2S Cycleway - northside

Options
1505152535456»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

The tyres on Dublin Bikes are too wide to get caught in between the beams on the wooden bridge.

People are regularly calling for cars to be banned from Bull Island, and crossing the bridge. When the most recent car went into the water, the whole topic came up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,766 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Isn't there a golf course entrance way there though? Couldn't really see cars being banned for the oul wans to no longer be able to drive up?

Not to mention people live there of course :)

Yeah, there's two courses, but only one has the main entrance via the wooden bridge, with a secondary entrance from the causeway further down.

People seem to think golfers should still be allowed to access by car via the bridge, but families with buggies going to the beach have to get the bus to Clontarf and walk down from the main road.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Surely golfers can't be expected to walk that distance with their sticks and balls?

Perhaps permits to access for golf club members/kite surfers and residents living on the island is the way to go...but who the hell would police it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

This has gone on an awful tangent

That what the bloke said as he ended up driving into the sea?

I wouldn't agree. I think people who want to access the beach have as much right to drive over the bridge as people who want to spend €180 to play a round of golf.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,564 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭garrettod

They should just put a toll on it, for anyone who wants to use it - with the toll going towards maintenance and repairs.

Residents get a free pass, every other motorist pays.

That would quickly reduce the amount of unnecessary traffic going down onto the Beach.

Thanks,

G.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,342 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

If they didnt want unnecessary traffic on that rickety old bridge they should have put the coffee hut on the causeway... maybe your toll is validated if you buy a 3.30 coffee!

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,067 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Great idea. Same on the Causeway please. The Causeway was absolute bliss when the barriers were put across the entrance at the start of the pandemic. Old, young, families, cyclists, joggers, walkers making great use of the traffic free zone.

The bridge is fine, it's just not designed for the volume of traffic, especially during the summer.

The roadway is also really narrow once you are on the island. They adjusted the layout to try and make it easier for cars to pass each other, but it's still a nightmare.

Then you get both sides arguing online. Those who think no cars should be allowed over (except for golfers), and the other side who claim they've been driving to the beach since the 50s and no one can stop them.

The council aren't great, as they generally don't engage with the public, and often introduce measures without warning.

But to get somewhat back to topic, I've no issue with cycling on the bridge myself. Smallest tyres I have are 25mm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭garrettod

Yup, I'd agree with all of that.

Summer time is a disaster, given the golfers and the beach goers. All are perfectly entitled to be there, but of more of them even used the causeway, rather than the wooden bridge, it would help a little.

Like you, I know the area well, and can think of plenty of locals who have always driven to the beach, and think they always should. That's the mindset that we need to change, so charging them a couple of quid a go, might be part of the solution.

As for DCC - they are the absolute pits, between trying to sneak though the rezoning of part of St Anne's Park, wanting to build a big tall building down at the Bird Sanctuary on the beach, or Owen Keegan wanting to blow €27m on White Water Rafting - all while the important things like quality bike lanes, better traffic management systems, social housing, more bins etc. all get pushed down the priority list.

Thanks,

G.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,564 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Advertisement