Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Murder at the Cottage | Sky

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭mamboozle

You're not a bit interested in the facts. The DPP is quite clear about some witnesses but you choose to gloss over the facts behind their testimony and suggest, like Nick Foster has done, that the DPP wasn't really up to the job and you know better. But your objective is the same as many others; to rely on fabricated evidence to suggest someone is guilty of murder. Slander.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭EdHoven

This object next to the bed is actually an old style French bed warmer. It would be too hot to have in the bed with you. Presumably Sophie was in bed for the night and had put some forethought into it. So did she get out of a warm bed during the night to investigate a disturbance or knock at the door? Or did she get up in the morning and have some breakfast?

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭flopisit

Ah, I see what's going on with you. You are of the opinion that the DPP is correct and everyone else is wrong.

Well, if we trust the DPP's opinion then because Ian Bailey consented to having his DNA collected, it means he is an innocent man. Oops!

The DPP also tells us Jules' arrest was unlawful. Oops!

Another DPP special: If you are driving at night and you see someone walking on the road, it is impossible to tell who they are. Oops!

Yet another DPP flub: He is not aware of where the Murphy house is in relation to Marie Farrell's alleged sighting.

The capper for the DPP: Ian Bailey slipping into a sleeping woman's bed and rubbing her leg is not attempted rape. There was a case in Ireland a bout a year ago where this exact thing happened and the offender was convicted of attempted rape.

I am not disagreeing with everything the DPP says, but he certainly has his fair share of stupid and uninformed opinions.

It doesn't matter how many press ganged witnesses the Guards found to say they didn't notice any scratches on Bailey's hands

Aren't you "slandering" the Gards here, since we don't have any evidence or reason to believe that these particular witnesses were "press-ganged"

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭flanna01

This thread would be far more balanced if certain posters were not blinded by there own personal views.

It's a forum for debate, remember that.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,282 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Are you familiar with the strawman fallacy?

Nowhere does the DPP say that "because Ian Bailey consented to having his DNA collected, it means he is an innocent man"

Under the section: " Lack of Forensic Evidence linking Ian Bailey to the murder scene."

Bailey willingly gave his fingerprints and a sample of his blood to the Gardaí for analysis and examination. These specimens were given at a time when he was aware that apparent bloodstains had been found at the scene.

What does the DPP say exactly? I'm going to copy and paste it as it will give a sense of the deliberate dishonesty in the previous post. And you accuse the DPP of fibbing? Look in the mirror. Your posts are riddled with them.

In her statement dated 14 February 1997 she states that on Monday 23 December 1996 at about 3 a.m. she was with a male friend in her motorcar and she saw a man walking on the road. He was stumbling forward and had his two hands to the side of his face but she could see his face. She states that she identified the man as being the same person she had seen on 21 December 1996 in Schull and on the morning of 22 December 1996. A person in a motor car being driven in an unlighted country area during the hours of darkness is unlikely to be in a position to make a reliable identification of a person on the roadway under the circumstances described above.

I don't know if the DPP is always correct, but given the choice between the DPP report and a poster who engages in deliberate lies on boards, well it's not much of a contest is it?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

Before accusing me of "lying", please at least try to quote the relevant part:

If Bailey had murdered Sophie, he would have known that there was a definite possibility of forensic evidence such as blood, fibres, hair or skin tissue being discovered at the scene. His voluntary provision of fingerprints and a specimen of his blood is objectively indicative of innocence.

My point was that the DPP has made quite a few stupid statements in his report. This one in particular indicates he is just not familiar with murder cases involving DNA evidence.

Anyone could tell him that worldwide, in a huge percentage of cases of murder solved by DNA, the offender has voluntarily given his DNA to the police. It's quite common because the offender makes a judgement call. Gambling that they don't have your DNA on the body is preferable to making the police suspicious by refusing to give it up. If they have your DNA on the body, then it's game over anyway, so why resist.

A person in a motor car being driven in an unlighted country area during the hours of darkness is unlikely to be in a position to make a reliable identification of a person on the roadway under the circumstances described above

My problem with this statement from the DPP is that he doesn't allow for all cars having headlights or for cars to drive at different speeds or for the fact that most people who encounter someone walking on a country road at night have to slow down as they pass them. If the DPP had ever driven on a country road at night, he would know that you can plainly see the person coming towards you. (This is not to say that I believe Marie Farrell - I am just saying the DPP's premise is silly)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,282 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

This is what you wrote: "if we trust the DPP's opinion then because Ian Bailey consented to having his DNA collected, it means he is an innocent man."

Whereas the DPP speaks of it being "indicative of innocence."

Your post is a wilful and deliberate misrepresentation. As I said, look in the mirror if you are concerned about fibs.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

GO back and look at the context. Don't be an idiot, bandying about accusations of lying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭nc6000

Wouldn't it be much easier for Bailey to say he got both the scratches and the cut on his head when climbing the tree? That's why I would lean towards the reasons he gives as being true. He could just easily have said he bumped his head on a branch while climbing the tree or the top bit he cut off fell and hit his head.

for anyone who thinks the variety of witnesses, including Michael Oliver, are in any way reliable in this case, I suggest looking at this and scrolling down to “witness back stories”. This was a close knit community; if people didn’t have beef with each other, they had beef with the gardai, and the DPP report rightly sifted through it all while making the report.

https://crimeguy.com/sophie-bouniol

• Advertisement

one of Ian’s main problems, apart from a solicitor not being allowed to be present in 1996/1997, is that he over explains things, and gives way too much detail. This was seen as a sign of guilt from day 1, when in fact it can be explained by other things, such as undiagnosed neurodiversity. He could have said that, it would have been easier, and those who think he’s some sort of criminal mastermind think this was all part of his devious plan, of course! They don’t consider the utter humanness of Bailey.

really? Seriously? It was a few days before Christmas. Let’s picture ourselves where we are today. Rushing round trying to do last minute shizzle, sort the kids, wrap presents, do the food shop, have a bit of a session (pre covid), few nights out etc…can anyone in complete honesty remember correct details a week from now about what you did today?

yet, that is expected from him. He made human errors too, with details and times, then WALKED back into schull Garda station to correct them when he remembered what had happened. That’s right, he went in voluntarily!

people on this thread (not you I quoted nc6000), need to have a word with yourselves. There’s a severe lack of common sense and logical thinking going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭DontHitTheDitch

The DPP didn't speak to a single witness. Many of the same witnesses were heard by a judge during the libel trial and the judge found them credible. A judge has more experience observing witnesses than the DPP.

Jules clearly said in her statement the cut on his head wasn't there the night before the murder but was there the following morning.

Dr. Louise Barnes must not be as observant as she gives herself credit for, since several witnesses and IB himself all say he had noticeable scratches on his hands in the days after the murder.

He went back and corrected the false information he gave because he found out the gardai had been to the house he stayed at when he claimed to be at home. Both the people in the house and IB himself say he went to them to find out what they told the gardai when he found out they had been there. It wasn't a sudden recovered memory, he was obviously aware he had given false information and only corrected it when he had established his actual movements were now known to the gardai.

I have read through that site before, but the person who put it together has an agenda. There are numerous points on which they are presenting slanted, inaccurate and sometimes false reasons to disbelieve witnesses.

Examples:

During Ian Bailey's libel trial in 2003-4, Bailey made a complaint against Fuller and Peter Julian Bielecki which the judge took seriously. He accused Fuller and Bielecki of making threatening gestures and comments, and the judge asked both men to leave the courtroom.

The problem is:

1. Bailey only accused Peter Bielecki of staring at him. No threatening gesture.

2. Bailey accused Fuller of saying "I've got you now" as they passed in the hallway. No threatening gesture.

3. Bailey also, at that same moment, accused the gardai of breaking into the place where he was staying during the trial and moving things around.

4. "Mr Bielecki said it did not happen, that he did not glare at Mr Bailey but that Mr Bailey appeared to be staring at him on the occasion."

5. The reason the judge asked them to leave: "Judge Moran stressed he was not making any judgment on the accuracy or inaccuracy of the claims - but argued he had to act to ensure the hearing proceeded without the risk of interruption or delay."

In 2005, Fuller was in court again charged with making threats to Ian Bailey at Schull farmers' market. Fuller denied (and was cleared) of the charge of threatening or abusive behaviour, but he did admit to "insulting" hand gestures during the case.

This is presented as a reason to disbelieve Fuller. What this case shows is Bailey was found to be bringing a false claim against Fuller. It also shows Fuller was believed by the judge to be giving an honest account. It also shows Bailey was intimidating witnesses.

"Mr Bailey accused Mr Fuller of subjecting him to threatening and abusive behaviour... Mr Fuller, in denying the charge, admitted that there was now ill-feeling between himself and Mr Bailey despite that they were friends up until early 1997. The defendant added that Mr Bailey had repeatedly stared at him in "a menacing way" over recent years."He [Bailey] had been staring at me that day and it made me feel uncomfortable and uneasy. This has been going on for many years and I had not retaliated before. But on this particular day I decided to give him the finger gesture," he said. Mr Fuller said that he felt intimidated by Ian Bailey, particularly since he agreed to offer evidence, under subpoena, at the libel hearing which Mr Bailey eventually lost... Judge McNulty said that he accepted Fuller's "honest" admission that the gesture at the Schull farmers market was "insulting". "

Yes I believe that Judge has been mentioned. Would you like to tell people why he felt Leo Bolger should be given a suspended sentence for dope cultivation even though it was assumed by everyone he would be jailed?

"Detective Sergeant Fergal Foley said the cultivation of the cannabis was the most sophisticated operation of its kind seen in west Cork."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Was this the same Fuller feller who took his wife and toddler down to Kealfada bridge to look for the murder weapon.

Mistook a local farmer for the murderer Ian Bailey and ran screaming in panic crying "he's going to kill us all?

• Advertisement

I doubt he was the only one looking for clues, even now there are ghouls touring the various sites and idiots harassing a family because they believe in a fairytale about a 'deathbed confession'. I mean, what kind of eijit seriously believes this? You're just about to pop your clogs and you get the sudden brainwave that what you most want to be remembered for is a brutal murder carried out by a highly disturbed person. The mind boggles.

But anyway, I don't think that's what he 'cried out'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

Big difference between Leo Bolger and a man who was under pressure to carry out the drug related activity because he was under pressure from those whom he owed a debt to. That's a mitigating factor if there ever was one.

I believe the so called Judge some of you are referring to in the Leo Bolger case had the temerity to use the fact he was living in West Cork as a mitigating factor (hard to make a living and all that😅) This judges decisions and behavior has been discussed many times on this thread. He has zero credibility.

Yes it is relevant, because conspiracy theorists are convinced there's no other reason he got a suspended sentence, like the guy in the article I linked, except the judge is conspiring with gardai to get a guy off in return for largely inconsequential anecdote.

The guy in your article had convictions going back to age 12. That's not a valid comparison.

The judge in Leo's case also made allowances for Leo's legitimate horse business going under because of a dispute with a neighbour who used a frequent and loud 'crow banger' which made horse training and riding in the area impossible.

Well let's look at it objectively...

1. Fuller went to look for the murder weapon there. We know from Josie Hellen's statement that the idea that the murder weapon (they believed it was an axe at this point) had been discarded there was being talked about in the community.
    2. Fuller saw a man in the distance carrying a large stick. Fuller had been a friend of Bailey. He was used to seeing Bailey carrying a large stick. So was everybody else in the area.
    3. Fuller was with his wife and young child. He suspected Bailey was the murderer. He suspected Jules had discarded the murder weapon in that area. Is it odd then that he became afraid for the safety of his wife and child? He flagged down a passing car and they fled.
    4. An investigation found that the figure he had seen was a local farmer carrying a stick and not Ian Bailey carrying a stick.
    5. So why is this incident raised with such a scornful tone ( "ran screaming in panic crying" ). Why are we supposed to toss out Bill Fuller as a witness because of this?

No one is saying that's why they wanted to get him off.

Come off it. Don't tell me you're so naive that you think the gards dont have any influence on a judge with regard to how hard or lenient they come down on someone convicted of a crime like this. Leo Bolger was well in the pocket of the gards by the time he got off unbelievably leniently.

It was even commented on that he was co-operating & helping the gards with another investigation at the time. Get real.

Oh ya, thats a valid reason to start the most sophisticated drug operation that Cork had ever seen. Horse business went under. Jesus wept😂

What was Leo able to offer the gardai apart from an anecdote that didn't have much, if any, relevance to the night of the murder?

• Advertisement

It seems every single witness against Bailey has "zero credibility" according to certain posters here.

In fact, it seems the only people whose stories we would be allowed to believe are Ian and Jules.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement