Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Murder at the Cottage | Sky

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

He was saying that Bailey knew STDP before she was murdered. That they had been properly introduced by Alfie Lyons. Its a key issue in the investigation into her death.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭mamboozle

This Judge jails a 16-year-old for 4 years in 1997 for 3 grands worth of hash saying people have to be protected from him. Yet 13 years later gives a grown man caught with 50 grands worth of dope a suspended sentence, but to suggest that this looks fishy since that grown man is helping the Guards in some way with Ian Bailey is a conspiracy theory?

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭flopisit

Whaaaaaaat? "Dispute with a neighbor"??? And he didn't murder him? I thought that's how all disputes with neighbors turn out.... :D

Thank God Leo kept his gate closed! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭DontHitTheDitch

That's a gross exaggeration, it was the most sophisticated 'growing' operation, it wasn't the most sophisticated drug operation by any stretch of the imagination ie. networks of criminal gangs importing heroin and cocaine and laundering the money through 'legitimate' cash businesses. You don't seem to understand the difference. He was basically an expert at growing plants in a specially built bunker. It's not comparable to the complex drug rings bringing in and distributing hard drugs.

Pull a credible witness out of the woodwork who doesnt have a motivation to lie or a severe dislike of Bailey, isnt in the pocket of the Gards & doesnt stand to benefit financially or otherwise in implicating bailey in this crime & they will be given proper attention. None of the "Bailey did it" crew have managed to do that so far.

• Advertisement

The 16 year old had a long criminal history. That makes a huge difference. Do you understand that?

So the theory would be that they let Leo Bolger off with a suspended sentence so that he would lie to corroborate Alfie's testimony (when Alfie was still alive to contradict that). ANd then when it came to the libel trial, they just didn't bother to call Leo Bolger to testify about this....

I dont seem to understand it??? From the poster who doesnt have the first clue of what they are talking about & asking questions of other posters. It was described as this & thats why I mentioned it. People couldn't believe he didnt get a custodial sentence, the standard prison term for an operation such as this was 10 years back then, he didnt do 1 day.

I don't know because I wasn't involved in framing Bailey and don't know what Leo knows

But the gardai had several witnesses telling them that already, a couple of journalists said IB told them he knew Sophie and even had photos of her.

• Advertisement

Put together a list of your approved witnesses. Who should be believed?

The only witnesses who claim Bailey got his injuries from the tree and the turkeys are Jules, Saffron and Ginny. Are they on the approved list?

And why are all these people telling lies about Ian Bailey. This is a more complex conspiracy than the Kennedy assassination. Even Leo Bolger's judge is involved. And these witnesses who were allegedly intimidated by the gards in the 1990s.... SOmehow they are still sticking to their stories even though the gards are dead or retired now.

Those trials didn't need Leo Bolger & you know it. Stop being deliberately disingenuous. The trial against the papers was never going to win because they never outright said he was the murderer, just implied it which they were entitled to do since he was arrested for the crime & the trial against the state didnt because it was outside the statute of limitations.

`

"Detective Sergeant Fergal Foley said the cultivation of the cannabis was the most sophisticated operation of its kind seen in west Cork."

"Judge Moran cited the McGinty case, which gives a precedent for a judge suspending the entirety of a sentence on such a charge."

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-20122724.html

Really, who?? And there is a big difference between knowing of someone & actually knowing them

But the point I was making was: what would be the purpose of getting Leo to lie in return for a lenient sentence if you are never going to use that lie?

And it's kind of a useless lie, because all it proves is he shook hands with Sophie one time. It doesn't actually affect the case.

No, no conspiracy conspiracy. Just simple facts which the person (DPP) at the time who was tasked with deciding whether Bailey should be charged or not of the crime didnt feel it was warranted. He was & is far more qualified than you or I in deciding whether or not someone should be charged with a crime as serious as this.

When you have corrupt gards going around the place telling everyone in a community that Bailey did it & that he must be locked up in case he does it again. It wont be hard to find a few people to come forward to implicate him especially when financial reward is offered, intimidation is used, etc etc, the list is as long as my arm.

Theres a strong possibility they would have used Leo Bolger had Bailey been brought to trial as they hoped. They were hoping both the trials Bailey took against the papers & the state would trigger a criminal trial.

Again, stop being disingenuous, me & you both know that Bailey knowing STDP on a personal level would completely change the case. Its a key factor in the investigation & always has been.

Again, stop being disingenuous, me & you both know that Bailey knowing STDP on a personal level would completely change the case. Its a key factor in the investigation & always has been.

Really not being disingenuous. Let's say, for the sake of argument, that Alfie and Leo are correct. That just means Bailey shook hands one time with Sophie instead of seeing her one time from afar. It doesn't do anything to prove he murdered her. All it does is make him seem a tiny bit more suspicious.

For example, my own opinion is that Alfie and Leo are telling the truth about this handshake. But I couldn't tell you if Ian is guilty or innocent and I don't think there is a case against him that can convict him of murder.

If we were able to prove Bailey had a fire on the 26th and was lying about it, that would satisfy me in my own mind that he is the killer, but I still don't think it would do much to convict him in court.

A 'long criminal history'? A 16 year old. Are you for real?

I can see why people would have thought Leo was going down when this judge looked like he had zero tolerance for dope dealers. Very fishy.

This particular judge was nothing less than outrageous in everything to do with Bailey. As has been laboriously pointed out here and was stated directly to him by Jules Thomas, Bailey's violence was grossly exaggerated. Yet this judge, with all of his experience of domestic violence found Bailey to be very violent, when in all probability Bailey never even threw a punch at his victim.

He accepted Alfie's 90% certainty bullsh*t. He was with the Guards 100%. Keep up your pretence.

Of course, so he's getting a lenient sentence for another reason. Like making sure he doesn't open his mouth about something.

• Advertisement

I think the telling detail here would be: How much hash was Leo growing and who was he selling it to?

That is what will affect him getting a suspended sentence or jail time.

Also, we need to remember, Ian Bailey (despite the supposed conspiracy against him in the courts) got a suspended sentence for his 2001 assault on Jules. (The crutch beating)

Bailey has always been adamant that STDP was pointed out to him from a distance & that he was never properly introduced to her. If AL & LB were telling the truth, it would paint Bailey as a complete an utter liar & that he knew her possibly a lot better than he let on all along.

This would increase motive, it would give credibility to STDP's friend in Paris who said Sophie told her about this strange poet who wanted to meet up with her & kept ringing her amongst other things.

Now, I can completely understand why he wasnt 100% forthcoming about the fact he had been down in the studio that night writing the article for the paper because I'm sure by then he realized the gards were trying to set him up & if he didnt have an alibi he would be goosed. But if he lied about meeting STDP properly & has lied about this all along, this would be a game changer for me.

But the fact of the matter is, is that AL's assertion that he was about 90% sure he introduced him to her sounds like a load of BS. Especially because AL got off lightly himself in relation to drug offences. If it was in the middle of the night at a party when everyone was stoned or otherwise, I wouldnt have a problem with this but this was in the middle of the day when work was being carried out. Leo Bolger on the other hand was completely in the pocket of the gards when he came forward with his statement & I wouldn't believe a word out of his mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭chooseusername

The Guards should have put Leo Bulger in the car with Marie Farrell that night, that would be a slam dunk for them.

Had a look out at 8:10 this morning and saw a farmer heading off on his tractor,

it was bright enough at that time for him to start work.

First light time in Schull is 2 mins earlier than where I am here.

A 'long criminal history'? A 16 year old. Are you for real?

Did you post a link and not even read it yourself??

"The accused, who had convictions dating back to when he was 12, was spotted carrying a slab of, cannabis. He threw this over a wall when chased by gardai. It had a street value of £2,360.

He was regarded as a key individual in the sale of drugs in the north side, said Garda O'Brien, and was involved with other people in that operation.

Judge Moran said the youth had decided at an early age to set out on a life of crime and the citizens of Cork must be protected from him."

• Registered Users Posts: 29,282 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Which is precisely the point.

They were light scratches which had healed up by the time she met him... not deep briar cuts.

And light scratches are less visible initially than on day 2 when start to heal - thats my note from experience.

This is all dealt with and explained in the DPP report its laughable ppl go down a cul de sac on it time and again.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

Why do all the anti-Bailey evangelists have 80 posts?

All follow the same pattern, regurgitate the same nonsense over and over. Not engage in any meaningful debate. Deliberately misrepresent "facts" ad nauseum.

Painful and all too predictable.

I know about the CHILD. He robbed a packet of sherbet out of a shop when he was 10 and got off with a suspended sentence. You'd have been handy in a jury in Louisiana up to about 2 years ago.

I learned a long time ago there's no point trying to convince conspiracy theorists, you can put me on ignore if you aren't comfortable with a discussion of the facts of the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭EdHoven

Yup, that really stinks. Firstly LB had a rancorous relationship with a neighbour.

Second his timeline has him constructing this elaborate bunker system AFTER this dispute. He turned to cannabis farming some time after 1996.

And the judge! Justifying ignoring a mandatory 10 year sentence because the poor man just wanted to enjoy the magnificent scenery. You couldn't make it up.

Does anyone know exactly where this cannabis farm was?

• Advertisement

Front page of the Irish Sun today has a story about DNA may solve case or similar wording

Sophie Toscan du Plantier probe investigators hope major new DNA breakthrough could finally help nail killer (thesun.ie)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement