Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carrier Unlock

Options
  • 08-12-2021 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭

Is there any reliable service to unlock my device?

I used to do that all the time, every time I got new device from my carrier so I could use it with different SIMs when going abroad. But I can't find any service now. I used to find them on eBay or adverts.

Thanks for help

My current device is iPhone 13 Pro Max

btw, locking device to network should be illegal like it is in some other EU countries. It's just ridiculous.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭JonMac

Thought iPhones weren't locked to a carrier.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,984 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

If device purchased directly from carrier/network in Ireland it is locked to that Carrier. IPhones notoriously difficult to unlock as the process is done through apple servers and generally has to be requested by the carrier/ Network

If the iPhone is in contract, some carriers will not unlock until a certain amount of Bills paid into that contract (3), others won't until contract ends. If prepay, generally an amount of credit top up has to be purchased before unlock request will be entertained.

Bottom line, Do not attempt to unlock an iPhone privately and certainly do not attempt to Jail break, warranty will be voided.

Only sure way to purchase a sim free iPhone is through apple or reseller directly, NOT through a carrier/Network in Ireland.

OP doesn't mention what country they purchased iPhone but I'd assume same rules apply elsewhere, I wasn't aware it was illegal anywhere for any phone to be locked to a carrier, given the carrier is highly likely to be subsidising the cost of the handset to a customer. I agree however more transparency required.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Martynet

I know all this and you sound like you work for Vodafone or something. Locking phones to carrier is stupid and illegal in some countries. It’s just Ireland is decade behind.

Of course you can unlock iphone, as I did already with all my iPhones locked to Vodafone network before, because I travel and sometimes, I’d like to use local sim. But this time, with 13 max pro, it seems more complicated. And I can’t find anyone to do it like before. That’s all.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,984 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

No not Vodafone, but in the business generally, whether its stupid or not for a network to have a device they heavily subsidise locked to their network, I've no opinion either way other than it makes commercial sense.

There is absolutely nothing more complicated when it comes to a 13 Pro max, it's an iPhone and there's a very specific unlocking process, if it's locked to a network, you clearly understand the rules of that network. As I've clearly explained, the unlocking process for a network locked iPhone is done via request from the network on behalf of a customer and processed through apple servers. Terms and conditions apply, namely if phone is in contract or is prepay an amount of credit has been purchased.

It's entirely up to you to go down an independent unlocking route, very ill advised and highly unlikely an independent unlocking business will either succeed or bother even trying.

I can't recall if you got this phone on contract but you also had the option of purchasing directly from Apple, Sim free.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

All new phones sold since 2021 must be unlocked for ease of portability as per Comreg. The unlock code must be given for locked phones sold earlier, regardless of contract.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Is this actually in place now, I remember reading about it last year ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,038 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

What’s all this about carriers subsidising phones? I’ve never seen this 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Go on to the Apple website and see how much a phone is.

Go on to a carrier's website and see how much a phone is plus the monthly charge.

The difference in the phone price is the subsidy that the carrier is paying for - to be more than recouped by the 24 month contract that goes with the phone price being paid.

So in other words they’re not subsidising anything which is what I thought. I’ve bought mine outright for years. It’s a no brainer on €8 a month prepay

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

They are. They are subsidising the initial purchase price of the phone. For many people, it is easier to buy the latest and greatest iPhone for €400 and pay €60 per month rather than 'stumping up' €1000 for the handset and paying €10 a month SIM only.

That's why I always price over two years. It is nearly always cheaper to pay for the phone upfront and go SIM only.

• Advertisement

I’d liken it more to a loan at high interest rates to be honest

Advertisement