Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Omicron variant

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

Nothing is stopping this, just accept it. No restrictions are going to work. It’s a very mild illness that will probably still overwhelm our hospital system as it’s a pile of shite. It’ll provide us with another blanket of immunity, one more step to it being over.

Its evident that covid will long be over before people accept it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Rte won't. They've just wheeled Reid out in morning Ireland to basically tell us things are going to get worse. High case numbers etc. And not asked a single tough question.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭discostu1

Another day another study

It's more a prediction /model

“In the past, we roughly thought that COVID was 10 times worse than flu and now we have a variant that is probably at least 10 times less severe,” Murray said. “So, omicron will probably … be less severe than flu but much more transmissible

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2021/12/22/covid-omicron-variant-ihme-models-predict-140-m-new-infections-winter/8967421002/

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭SheepsClothing

The problem is, that despite all the early studies indicating that the case hospitalisation rate is lower for Omicron, we don't know if that is due to something intrinsic to the virus, or if it is the result of it's increased ability to infect those with pre-existing immunity, leading to less severe cases on average.

https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status/1473772679425581069

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭McGiver

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,652 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Probably because hearing “positive” during a pandemic isn’t fun…

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

Greetings from Italy.

So it certainly seems there's good news emerging. On a personal level it would seem that omicron presents significantly less danger to myself and my loved ones. Fantastic.

On a wider population level the jury is still very much out though. We could yet see massive strains on health systems globally. Still, it certainly seems like it could have been much worse.

What I'm struggling to understand is how some of you seem to be coming to the conclusion that omicron is a positive for us. A good virus off you like.

"The pandemic is over" seems to me to be completely devoid of logic. We're witnessing a variant that is smashing through all kinds of immunity. The idea therefore that it will give us all a free boost of immunity and that will be that is laughable.

If omicron really did emerge from an immunocompromised person, well the chances of further VOCs emerging in the same way is increasing exponentially.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Good god man talk about a pessimistic outlook.

1) Omricon doesn't approach the transmissibility of measles.

2) Omricon is a coronavirus. A percentage of which also cause the "common cold".

3) You're really bringing cancer into it?

4) Yep it can stlll kill, but so far it's looking milder and the vast majority of those that have died of this virus throughout this pandemic have been over 60, already chronically unwell, the very overweight and the monumentally unlucky. The vast majority of the vulnerable in Ireland are vaccinated and a large percentage have also had boosters.

5) ah yes, 1918. A few differences there. We have far better therapies available today. We have vaccines for a start. The 1918 pandemic also had one other major difference; it was far more likely to kill young people in the prime of life.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I don't think anyone is minimizing the potential risk of Omicron to the immunocompromised or other groups. However, as it spreads and outcompetes Delta, with a potentially less severe effect on the population in general, that is a good thing. In effect we may be looking at the end of this pandemic. 

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

What I'm struggling to understand is how some of you seem to be coming to the conclusion that omicron is a positive for us. A good virus off you like.

And I'm struggling to understand how some are hellbent on apocalyptic thinking with every headline.

"The pandemic is over" seems to me to be completely devoid of logic. We're witnessing a variant that is smashing through all kinds of immunity. The idea therefore that it will give us all a free boost of immunity and that will be that is laughable.

The majority of people in Ireland are vaccinated, a large percentage have had boosters. This reduces the risks of serious illness in omricon too. Having a breakthrough infection of omricon that results in a glorified headcold for a few days will also boost immunity. It could well give so called "super immunity" going on studies into those who caught covid previously and were vaccinated.

If omicron really did emerge from an immunocompromised person, well the chances of further VOCs emerging in the same way is increasing exponentially

"Smashing through", "increasing exponentially". Yeah, that's not exactly measured thinking. Where are you getting your exponential from? Omricon may have emerged from someone like a HIV sufferer who took a long time to expel the virus. We don't know. It certainly looks like something of that nature as there are way too many mutations in one variant to suddenly came along at once out of the blue. It might have come from a vaccinated, or partially vaccinated person who again didn't clear the virus in a short period of time, again giving the virus a chance to mutate so much. Again we don't know. That said I'd love to see an evolutionary tree of the different variants and where and how and from what source this one came from. It's a bit of an oddball.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Vaccinated30

You know what other virus causes cancer, the hpv virus, whiwh you catch by having sex.

Let's ban sex and only allow ivf forever.

Smoking causes cancer, let's ban it...oh wait no too much revunue.

Alcohol causes cancer, oh again with the revenue.

Fumes from cars, oh damn the revenue on the fuel again so we can't ban that.

Talcom powder, cleaning products even VEGETABLES can give you cancer if you have them crispy and brown, so no roast potatoes on Saturday with your dinner.

Jesus you'd have to stay sealed indoors not to be exposed to carcinogens and you'd die then anyway.

If I develop cancer in 10 years, will it be from the HPV virus I had that gave me cin3, the cigarettes I smoke, the roasties I eat or the Covid I caught that gave me a slightly stuffy nose. I actually don't care the cause I'd be more focised on fighting the cancer...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

Sorry, are you accusing me of being apocalyptic for not having faith that the pandemic is over?

There's a bunch of you that constantly sling insults at others - accusing them of loving the misery, being doomongers or apocalyptic.

Many of you have been at this for two years now, despite being near consistently wrong at every turn.

Frankly, you're the ones with the extreme views. It may not seem extreme anymore because it's so bloody boring, but it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Agreed. The deluded pollyannas add nothing of value to the discussion. It seems every few months they are proclaiming that the pandemic is over again. Wrong on every turn as you say.

In saying that, I am cautiously optimistic after reading the imperial study which seems to align with some of the SA and Danish data.

Couple that with this new anti viral treatment just fda approved and there is definitely some grounds for optimism.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Lot of public service pen pushers getting tetchy today, the good news doesn't sit well with them.

"Faith" indeed.

The vast majority of those most affected by this virus are over 60 years of age. In Ireland that's 90% of ALL deaths. 40% of ALL deaths are in the over 80's. Even in the most affected demographic of all the over 85's you still had a 90% chance of not dying from covid 19.

And that was before vaccines, which massively reduce the risks of serious illness and death.

The vast majority of the Irish population are vaccinated. This is even more the case in the vulnerable demographics. A large percentage of whom have also had boosters. All of which reduce the risks of serious illness and death even with omricon.

The emerging pattern of Omricon is quite different to both the Alpha and Delta variants. The number of infected are higher, but the health services aren't seeing nearly the same corresponding hit from it.

Covid 19 has been overwhelmingly a disease of the old, the chronically unwell and the terribly unlucky. We did a pretty good job in protecting them and since vaccines have come along that's even more the case. Covid 19 has most of all shown up the lack of spare emergency capacity in world health services. It was and is not the end of times pandemic it was made out to be. That concern was understandable in the early days, but it became pretty clear from the actual data that it wasn't and that was early enough on too. The doom mongers going on about tens of thousands of deaths in Ireland were talking out their arses. So far the covid 19 pandemic is one of the least deadly in world history.

The extreme views are "it's only a flu" or "we're doooooooomed" types. The measured view is that it's been a tough two years, but that signs are good that we're seeing the light at the end of the tunnel, not a bigger train coming down the same tunnel. Talk about rogue variants "increasing exponentially" is at best daft.

The government will keep an eye on people in icu.

Our freedom is dictated by that.

At the moment it is going down.

My opinion doesn't matter.

Personally I think this will spread aggressively no matter what we do.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭RavenBea17b

Exactly, caution still needs to be the main rule. As many an anti vaxxer, anti form of restrictions/cautions has stated, especially early on in the pandemic and continue to say, flu/influenza kills more people - well, if this is spreading easier (and it is), then the opportunity for it to impact more asthmatics, people with underlying illness and those already weakened by long Covid. It is not a common cold.

Reducing the impact to the hospitals, clinics and Doctor surgeries so we can get back to to treating people without the fear of Covid overwhelming the system.

🤭🤭🤭

I think most of the population would feel you have a tendency for the dramatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭amandstu

I have not looked at any studies but is it possible that the lower hospitalizations observed may just be due to Omicron 's ability to reinfect the previously infected in greater numbers than ,say Delta?

Could that scenario produce the outcome we are seeing- a lower ratio of severe illness to cases but overall the same number of hospitalizations?

A short sharp wave would be very welcome....

• Advertisement

this is what I have been discussing with my friends. It's not as simple as 'mild' = less impact.

Is it even clear that is is milder but more infectious?

Might it still be equally severe but more infectious (and maybe a spikier wave of shorter duration but greater amplitude)?

Australia seems "interesting" just now :-(

Don't over complicated things when they dont need to be.

Sometimes things are as simple as they look.

We have restrictions to protect hospitals being overwhelmed.

SA wave on the decline without major restrictions or major pressures on hospitals.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

What I'd like to see data on is the sense from the numbers that Omicron is really transmissible, infects most of the people it's going to infect really quickly, and then hits a bit of a wall. SA numbers would give some support to that and certainly this doubling every 3 days thing looks not to be happening anywhere after the first week of its surge, but would love if this was verified by research. If Omicron turns out to be much milder and not to as effective at transmission on an extended basis (like Delta has been) then we would be in a great place.

Well the numbers are going to rise, if people test.....!

UK numbers testing positive over 106k announced yesterday, with 1.49M tests. Its positivity rate is now at 7.1%, had been hovering around 6.5% France broke it's daily record over 84k for data to the 21st - Last figures published for their pos rate is around the 6.3%, but that is only to the 18th December.

With Ireland pos rate of a 18.4% 7 days to 21/12, Doctors, nurses, key workers testing positive will impact our hospitals and treatment of people.

Whilst transmission is significantly easier with Omicon, prevention is better where possible.

Yes it is interesting.

Omicron spreading in OZ for 4 weeks and no deaths from this variant.

I think your correct it looks more severe 😂😂😂.

Restrictions will be lifted in January and totally gone by St Patrick's day.

Nobody locked down for flu.

The end game is here.

Most pandemics last 2 years.

We are at the mopping up stage.

The last days of war.

Don't see how sarcasm contributes .

• Advertisement

It just seems so ridiculous what your saying.

Scott Morrison is saying the complete opposite to what you are saying and you think this helps your argument.

He spoke how they had to live with covid now given:

Vaccines.

Omnicron had nobody in icu.

Lockdowns quarantines were now disproportionate to risks.

State of their economy.

Advertisement