Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rose Of Tralee now accepting trans applicants (Threadbanned List in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Progressives are such an ambitious bunch

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Most remarks showing disgust at this are coming from men who will never be impacted by it whatsoever, again.

Let them at it. The Rose of Tralee as a concept is out-dated anyway.

This decision is discrimination against biological women.

As with the case of Laurel Hubbard, this position in the competition - whether in the Rose of Tralee or elsewhere - is now being occupied by a biological man.

How is that even remotely justified?

And to the people, such as @Faugheen saying, "Well, what harm is it doing to you?".

What would you say to the biological woman who has missed out in her place in the competition, because that position is now occupied by a biological man?

I wonder what her reaction would be if you said, "Well, what harm is it doing to you, you're not impacted by this in any way?".

As for me, it doesn't harm me at all, but it harms the competition and it harms competition between biological women to now have biological men entering the competition.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,453 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Mod - Really, we're doing this again?

And you can be sure he will win it as it would be, homophobic of the jury not to allow him win just because it would be.

@SouthWesterly do not post in this thread again

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I have a genuine theory about people who upset about this, and it doesn't reflect on all of them, but probably quite a few.

I suspect that they're the type who got really angry when they rubbed one out to some girls pictures on reddit or something, just to think afterwards that they never actually saw the vagina. With that they go into a testosterone induced rage that they rubbed one out to a girl who has/had a bigger dick than them and how bad this makes them feel.

• Advertisement

• I’m actually wheezing laughing at this rn omg

I'm a woman. A biological woman. I don't care if they let trans women,or even full blown men into the Rose of tralee. Let goats in for all I care! What difference does it make? It's a outdated competition

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Tell me I'm wrong! I am so willing to bet this has happened a lot.

You don't need to understand it. It's already correct.

• Advertisement

Sorry, poor choice of words on my part. I think that position is balderdash.

It's not the same as athletics where male characteristics will be an advantage.

• I can almost picture it too. I suspect though the rage is very much internal and only becomes apparent on message boards and the likes where they’ll slyly imply that trans people are a big problem and they’re taking over society and ~~I accidentally wanked to one once~~

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

At least Miss World reintroduced the swimwear round, all hope is not lost!

You're well within your rights to hold that view; that it's an outdated competition. Many people hold that view, and that's fine.

But I'm similarly confident that the participants in the Rose of Tralee competition have a very different opinion, and that opinion matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

They said they always accepted applicants from trans women, they just never publicised it before. I think that was so Roscommon women could enter it - it can be hard to tell with that lot.

If anything, a trans woman is at a default disadvantage. And honestly, it's a beauty pageant effectively, nobody is guaranteed a position in it and if a woman misses out due to a trans woman getting in ahead of them, that's really not a big deal. Equally a married woman could get in ahead of them because the criteria has changed. Things change. It's no different to how strictly come dancing has changed its criteria, allowing two same sex dancers.(Came second) Things change and in this case for the better in multiple ways....

I do think it's an incredibly outdated contest etc btw.

Things do change, you're right - sometimes for the better but also sometimes for the worse. This case is an example of the latter.

Whether it's outdated is neither here nor there; it's what the competitors, organisers, and interested viewers think that matter. It's not relevant.

As for the comparison with same-sex couples on Strictly, that's another example of regression because men and women weren't put together on dance floors because of sexual attraction. In fact, in many of these cases, the man or woman could have been gay - or even both. Sexual attraction has nothing to do with it. It was inserted for PC reasons, not for dance reasons.

If a woman misses out due to a trans woman getting in ahead of them, that's really not a big deal.

Maybe it is a big deal to the person who has missed out.

You've claimed it's regression however they came second in the contest so pretty clearly, audiences and judges thought they were pretty damn good. It's what the competitors, organisers and interested viewers think that matters and they were pretty happy with it.(By your own logic) :) I imagine it's also a big deal for the woman who missed out if she misses out due to a married woman....

But honestly, most women I know of that age wouldn't generally have an issue with allowing trans women to compete. The reality is that in Ireland, women from that age even into their thirties and forties have a pretty positive attitude towards trans women. They wouldn't tend to lose their **** over women competing in the Rose of Tralee. We thankfully have not adopted the viewpoints of the UK on the subject. So being inclusive of trans women is something that women in Ireland generally tend to favour. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

It's kinda funny how people are being triggered by this now. For followers of the competition, wouldn't you have protested when they announced it two years ago?

And for those who don't care, why now?

For those that are taking the line about defending the rights of "biological womens" (or whatever bs term), you want to defend women's rights by campaigning to uphold the integrity of a beauty pageant? Really?

Incidentally this year's rule change was allowing married women and over 29s to enter. Just in case anyone is actually interested in the competition for non trans bashing reasons.

But why are you assuming that participants would be against this? If I was taking part, I wouldn't care that trans women were involved

• Registered Users Posts: 21,023 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

If beauty weighed heavily, most women wouldn't care, because quite frankly most trans people aren't appealing to the eye, no matter how much some people might try and convince us of their beauty. If it becomes political, then they might be annoyed, as a trans person may win purely as a matter of modern politics, a bit like Miss Ireland, who most men would find average looking. I'm sure I'll be meet with some screams of transphobia, but most straight men who aren't invested in progressive politics, would likely agree.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

They are taking married women too. And up to age 29. Apply here

OMG they're dropping the novelty acts !!!

There may be an opportunity for Roses to perform during the selection process. If you wish to be considered please state below what you would like to perform. It is important to note that performances are not obligatory but are purely a form of entertainment and are not considered in the judging process.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

Nah not transphobia, just judgemental. But sure, your probably lovely looking yourself..

• Registered Users Posts: 33,403 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Cue people who don't give a **** about the Rose of Tralee and haven't watched more than 60 seconds of it over the last twenty years suddenly giving a **** abut the Rose of Tralee because this is WOKE gone MAD!

EDIT - I see they're already here. Never mind...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭yesto24

Really you have no idea? At all?

You can't even guess given the context they used the phase, in a discussion about trans people, a topic that is currently fashionable to certain group of people, people that usually allow no deviation from their truth.

I don't believe you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Everyone is judgmental, so at worst I'm guilty as everyone else.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

Advertisement