Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2022 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

Its over by at least 3k. A lot of hype with this Sonnen Battery and all that hype is from installers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭XsApollo

What kind of an array would people recommend for a 3 bed terrace with one or 2 people, no kids.

working during the day so nobody is in the house from morning till 5-6 in the evening.

The main eaters of electricity are electric shower, clothes dryer, washing machine, kettle and tv and stuff in the evening.

is it feasible to get a system with a battery that would charge during the day and then keep the house going in the evening?

could probably set up timers for washing machine and stuff to turn on in the afternoon or the best time in the day to use power.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

It's completely un-sexy, but the best place to start XsApollo is your electricity bill. Go online and have a look and see what your consumption was for the past 12 months. I know with covid many of us have been at home where normally we'd be in the office, but the average consumption for a 3 bed semi in Ireland is about 4000-4500 units.

You've sort of hit the nail on the head with the comment about people not being there in the house when the sun is shining. So you'd be best off getting a battery to capture that energy during the day for use in the evening/night time. Yeah, setting timers for the washing machine is a good idea, but even with that, you'd be "wasting" a lot of your production to the grid. So a battery would improve your overall efficiency and allow you to "self - consume " more of your production.

If your average enough, your consumption is probably best served by 5Kwp in panels and a 5kwhr battery. Ballpark €7-8K (after grant applied) for the install.

A day night meter and a change of usage habits.

Fill the roof with panels for a start hot water divertor. A minimum of 5kw of batteries.

Your looking at about 7 to 8 grand after grant. That's a guess a I don't know your roof area or direction (south east west facing)

Where are you located.

Shifting as much as you can to night rate usage will be a big help and charging the battery on night rate for day time discharge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Thanks for the reply’s , a bit more investigating and research is needed on my own part regards usage and stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭bmcgill

some very useful information in this thread so many thanks.

I've just started to get some quotes for installing a few pv solar panels hopefully next year and so far the quotes I’ve been getting don’t seem to be near the rough guide here.

quote 1: 6 panels 2.7 kw with 2.4 battery €7326 after grant. Would be 5253 without the battery.

quote 2: 10 panels 3.6 kw with 2.4 battery 7500 after grant.

south east based

should I be expecting somewhere less than 5k for these sizes?

Thanks

As Maulbrook said.......Jesus wept. 50-80% overpaying. On the bright side, you've come to the right place to save yourself a few quid.....or spend the same money and get a much bigger system

Regular readers on here will know all this, but one thing that does get a little lost in all the quotes is that everyone should mostly start with asking yourself "What's my usage?". If you don't know how much you are using, you can't accurately size the installation to suit your needs. You could then end up buying a system which is too small to meaningfully impact your leccie bills, or worse overpaying on an installation which will take you decades to pay back as you simply don't consume what you generate. You leccie bills over the past 12 months is the place to start.

After doing that, then start to go through each room in the house and look at what's consuming what. Don't forget the lights!! Solar is great, but if you haven't done things like replace your old "Solas" lightbulbs, you know the ones in the old checkerboard yellow/black cardboard box with new energy efficient LED's, you could have an avenue to save as much as 20-30% off your electricity bills without even getting a panel on the roof! Moving to day/night tariff is another good thing to do and I saved €20/€30 quid every 2 months by simply setting the washing machine and dishwasher to start at 11pm and unload them in the morning.

Once you know your usage and fixed all the low hanging fruit your good to go solar. (Of course you can go solar without fixing your energy consumption first, but you'd be "missing a trick")

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

Microgeneration scheme announced today guys. seems to be 13.5c/kwh according to Silicon Republic

RTE story doesn't mention that price though but Agriland does although only for 6-50kw systems.

I wonder where domestic systems over 6kw fall into.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,169 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

I don't think your assessment of 13.5c/kWh is correct @Pique. To me, that reads as the CEP payment. The CEG payment will be lower. As regards large domestic, to me it reads as simply micro vs mini generation (NC6 Vs NC7)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,462 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

13.5c is for non domestic, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Thats my reading too. It's for non-domestic who have 6kWp+ so doesnt apply to anyone on this "Domestic Solar PV" thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭championc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭jebuz

I just wanted to throw up my experience with quotes over the past few weeks, based in Cork. Company 4 is swinging it at the moment. Thanks for all the great help on this thread. The power of community looks like it's saving us all a small fortune.

Company 1 (Enniskillen)

• 5.1kW JA 15 x 340W panels
    • 5kW Pure Drive battery
    • 5kW Solis hybrid inverter
    • EDDI

7.5k after grant

Company 2 (Kildare)

• 5kW panels
    • 2.4kW battery
    • 5kW inverter

10k after grant 😧

Company 3 (Cork)

• 5kW Jinko 390W panels
    • 5kw Sofar GTX battery
    • 5kw Sofar battery
    • EDDI
    • BER

8,224 (after grant)

Company 4 (Cork)

• 5.12kW 16 x 320W
    • 4.8 kW battery
    • 5kW Solis hybrid inverter
    • EDDI

7,250 (after grant)

That's a pretty good quote (Company 4).....I'd nearly pull the trigger on that. Don't think you'll beat that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,326 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

1 and 4 are both very good prices. With both though, I'd ask them to upgrade to a 6kW inverter for future proofing. Costs very little extra so they might chuck it in at the same quote level.

Seems the panels some installers are using are cheapish ..they can vary from 105 to 250 ( dollars)LG seem to be one of the better panels..alot of installers using ja and longi...not too sure I'd have alot of mass in them ..more money for the installers...there should be some kind of criteria for seai grant people where installers have to use a certain type of panel that's up to scratch.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭necstandards

Just wondering is your install for 1 or 2 (even 3) separate arrays? Was told by one company that having different arrays requires some controllers (~600 / 700 per controller)?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,462 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Does the panel brand make much difference? I don't think so.

Nahh, it doesn't make any (real) difference except in price. You can have a look here yourself. (It's Australian, but the same applies here)

Best Solar Panels 2021 — Clean Energy Reviews

The absolute best might approach 23% efficiency, while the cheapest closer to 21%. You might go "Ohh i want the best", but if that's 2x the cost per panel over the cheapest, why not simply add an extra panel to your array and you'll have the same production? Only time that you (might) have a justification to go for the top rated panel is if you are very tight on space on your roof and you need to get the absolute max out of it.

The whole 15 years verses 25 years? Chances are in 15-20 years from now, the efficiency could be approaching 28-30%, so you might be want to swap out your panels anyway. Honestly anyone telling you "Ohh but these are superior panels cause of .... " it's nonsense.

• Advertisement

100% agree with you on that. I think people feel comfortable with brand recognition especially when looking at solar PV for the first time.

LG, Huawei, Panasonic, Samsung and so on means nothing but a higher unit price.

Corn Flakes are all the same be they Kelloggs or own brand, only difference is the price. I'm very happy with my Lidl setup.

Sorry didn't mean to upset anyone...I just feel all the time I'm being ripped off by a smiling installer.other country's don't seem to have the same high prices like Ireland..on a 13 thousand system which includes the grant I'd say six thousand goes to the installer , the other seven for materials for coming out on a Saturday for one day...that's outrageous money to make in a day..regardless if he has acouple of helpers with him

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

No harm - no foul here. I can tell you now that no one is (or was) upset here. The reality is that many many people come here (myself included) and they are keen to get on the solar roadmap. Even people from an engineering background are being chucked in at the deep end trying to figure out what they need and are they getting ripped off. It's difficult.

The points you made above are all on the money, excuse the pun. Now to be clear, I've no issue in an installer making a profit. In fact I -want- him to make a profit and a healthy one at that as I want them to continue to be in business and operating when i come back in 2-3 years and need to expand the array or do something.

No the biggest issue, is the gouging. A healthy profit yes, but fleecing unsuspecting customers of 2-3K, sometimes as much as 5K more than another supplier will charge. That doesn't sit right with me. Don't forget that the "other" supplier is still making a profit, so it's "profit on top of the profit" so to speak. Sure, you'll hear that "We have a better after sales service" or "Our overheads are more as we provide a more comprehensive package". It's nonsense. There's no moving parts here. it's like Ronseal. It just does exactly what it says on the tin. Sure, you do get the occasional fault, but they are generally fairly reliable.

Thanks bullit dodger...and also these suppliers are claiming another 1000 back on vat ....I was talking with another installer yesterday and he came in with 13,500 after the grant for 6kw system with Eddie but no battery...so 10,500..I'm just knackered from crazy quotes...

I'm looking for an 8 kw system with Eddie and 5kw battery for around 12,000 ...that's including the grant...am I looking for too much ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭THE ALM

I got 8.28kw with 5kw battery installed for €11200 after grant, had Eddi already so that would add another €500 approx. Was a very good quote and looking at recent quotes from the same company (Enniskillen) prices have gone up so not sure it can be matched at present but certainly doable.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,169 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Prices have gone up, but the rule of thumb still applies. Saw a quote only the other day from someone via PM and it was only €200-300 above the guide price. Better value on bigger systems obviously as fixed costs are the same.

Has the planning for solar pv changed at all...all I'm allowed to put up without planning is six panels.....or 12 SQ meters or 50 % of the roof whichever is the LESSER .I'm in a bungulow out the country ...does anyone have any more info..I know this lady had 30 panels and was told to take them down..she appealed and was allowed keep them.

God bless that wonderful woman. I'm in a bungalow in the sticks and I have 20 panels. Planning to fit 6 more to fill the roof.

Virtually no one has got Planning permission.

Fill the roof and don't worry about it.

• Advertisement

Do you have any houses next to you

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement