Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's acceptable noise at 5am?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Morgans

It is. No one is suggesting that the op uses the grinder to annoy his neighbour. But if his daily routine is that he gets up at 5 and wants to use his equipment in his home to have a cup of coffee in the morning, then it is the neighbors problem.

If he wants to go the legal route, leave him do so. It is still the neighbours issue.

The Op has been more than considerate in trying to mitigate the issue, could even show this thread as evidence. He'd be fine in a court of law. It is not his responsibility that his neighbours house has such poor soundproofing/insulation.

Leave the neighbour buy him a quieter grinder for his coffee or a microwave whose door closes softly.

Classic Boards thread. As someone above said, someone posts with a problem expecting to have their take reaffirmed.

Gets told the opposite and gets upset.

Tells everyone they don't care what they think and yet replies to all their comments.

Some posters make some very helpful suggestions like moving house, taking legal action or demolishing the wall.

OP digs in, doubles down and gets increasingly unreasonable, proving that, perhaps, they are in fact the crank in the original situation put forward.

Boards 101.

how lucky I am to live in the countryside......

I boil the kettle the night before....

so the kettle doesn't wake the wife,

Not so lucky in that you don't seem to have decent walls to block the sound, or enough distance/walls/doors between your bedroom and kitchen; so as to not make the boiling of the kettle an issue though, it would seem 😊

Decent soundproofing/materials in the walls between the rooms of one's own abode is important too; that is if a person had a choice in the matter to begin with. Would lessen the chances of disputes between a person's own family or housemates.... It's not only neighbours that are irrational, or have unrealistic expectations regarding what they deem to be too much noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Boiling the kettle the night before that seems a bit over the top must have paper thin walls in the gaff .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

But its not the sodding "ding", its a mechanical grinder at 5AM!

It doesnt matter if its 17 seconds or 700 seconds, its a loud, obnoxious noise at 5AM, once you are aware you are awake.

OP how would you feel if your neighbour started testing his smoke alarms at midnight every night? Its a household item, only sounds for a couple of seconds....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Oh and while I think of it, can ye all not post between midnight and 5am as I also need to be up at 5 and don't want to be disturbed ☺️

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭MTU

Grinding at 5am is unacceptable on week day nights.

I'd be fairly sure that the microwave door is something the OP does a couple of seconds after grinding the coffee, perhaps to heat some milk?

The neighbour is lying in bed having been just woken, again, by grinder george next door and just waiting for him to "slam" the microwave door.

Its 5AM, other than obnoxious people, its silent, even the birds are still asleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭starkid

HAd the same kind of shite in my apartment block. The guy downstairs came up numerous times to my housemates. Clinking of something on balcony, doors being closed too loud (heavy fire doors), washing machine on early(it wasn´t), smokes that weren´t ours on his balcony and so on. The last time he came up to complain about the creaking of doorstep on balcony and handed me clips to place under. i told him where to go as politely as possible. i had put up with his kid screaming outside in the communal area for ages. some people are just jerks and think the World revolves around them. if his kid wasn´t doing that i wouldn´t have much to say. but he did and the guy had the balls to say oh my daughter (16 ) is trying to sleep. yeah so is my 13 year old while your kid is outside screaming on the Green. sometimes polite confrontation is the only way. I told him its a fact of living in an apartment. Certain things will make noise, deal with it. creaking on a **** balcony is one of them.

i sympathise with you that would annoy the **** out of me (him commenting), honestly. plus one to finding a further away spot from the kitchen. but i suppose he has some legitimate right to complain. is there anyway you could see how loud it is? like which rooms can you hear it in if you aren in the kitchen. i have a machine in apt and i rarely use b4 7am as i know its too loud.

there is also hand grinders

• Advertisement

"some people are just jerks and think the World revolves around them"

You said it buddy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I get up at 5:30am. Always have. And ive always been very careful not to make noise at that hour of the morning. I dont find it that hard to do at all. Just as I would like the neighbors to keep the noise down when i am going to sleep at 10:30pm.

A bit of mutual respect for all goes a long way.

This is your answer, OP. Think outside the box by going into the box. Just use egg boxes and double sided sticky tape and apply for your Blue Peter badge 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

We need more lads like you, Angry angry people with a heart of gold.

That's a reasonable summary, It's a quiet time of year and I'm finished until after Christmas ☺️

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Could you buy a quieter grinder? Or even get a hand grinder for your 5am cup?

I think it's reasonable for you to want your 5am coffee and I also think it's reasonable that your neighbour doesn't want to hear it.

• Advertisement

• You know it’s interesting you mention breakfast actually, would the same be said if we swapped coffee for making toast?

this is OPs breakfast. He gets up for work at 5am, it’s a horrible hour of the morning to get up and a fresh coffee is what the OP wants in the morning before he goes to work and why shouldn’t he?

my neighbour’s for instance have on numerous occasions been banging or drilling in the late evening (8-9pm) it’s annoying but they’re lovely people so I wouldn’t be arsed causing a fuss about it.

the point being is just because a neighbour is doing something you don’t care for if it’s not breaking the law sometimes you have to just pick your battles. This neighbour does not sound like someone who picks their battles but rather will just fight about anything (the microwave comment being a key example of this).

yeah, the OP has options here, he could go to a garage (if any are even open at 5am..), drink instant blah blah but why should he? It’s his house, he pays a mortgage/rent and he’s not breaking any laws and upsetting one guy for 12 seconds Mon-Fri, a guy, which as I said earlier seems to just be a contrarian.

funny to see all the big opinions here as if you’re all the perfect neighbours too, I’d love to survey everyone living near ye to hear what they think and see how fast you’ll drop daily rituals just to suit some jackass next door.

also if you happen to see it, to the poster trying to claim inconsistencies in the OPs story, he said he got it as a gift, yes, but regardless what’s the point in owning the product if you’re not gonna use it…? That doesn’t mean he bought it himself, it means he values the machine and it’s purpose and wouldn’t accept a gift that would just occupy counter space, simply to appease a pissy neighbour. He’s even taken steps to mitigate the noise!

also, a lot of folks are claiming the OPs grinder is waking the neighbour? Who said he was being woken up? All the OP said is he was told he can hear it - he didn’t say he was been woken up, perhaps he’s awake at that time already? A lot of assumptions going on which seem to be created simply to feel like you can then talk to down to someone.

grow up the lot of you tbh. Should be embarrassed.

Maybe its the surface the grinder is on that is amplifying the noise. Try putting it on the floor and grinding and see if thats better or worse.

Or even put a neoprene mat under it and see if there is a difference.

Some people are saying it's only 12 seconds. That's more than long enough to wake someone.

Others say no law is being broken. That depends on the courts. And the Gardai can arrest someone in breach of a court order...

Domestic noise - '... the Act allows any person, a local authority or the EPA to complain to the District Court about a noise that is ‘so loud, so continuous, so repeated, of such duration or pitch or occurring at such times as to give reasonable cause for annoyance to a person in any premises in the neighbourhood or to a person lawfully using any public place’ and seek an order to deal with the noise nuisance.

I would expect something that repeatedly wakes someone up at 5am would fall foul of this if the neighbour was so inclined.

We had someone next door years ago who had loud partied every second night until 4 am.

Told every one to fcuk off when they complained about the noise.

Various people called the gardai at different times. They told the guards to fcuk off too. I heard them.

Sometimes the guards would park the car outside the house even.

Talking to the gardai and they said nothing they could do. We moved.

• Advertisement

• I can guarantee if you rang the Gardai because your neighbour was making coffee at 5am they’d arrest you for being stupid.*

*they’d actually just tell you it’s a civil matter or that you’re a bit of a gobshite or both!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Hahaha arrested for grinding coffee for 12 seconds in the morning 😂😂😂😂 Jesus wept, some of you need to see a sleep therapist or something if something like that would seemingly ruin your life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Many people can't 'rollover and go back to sleep'. Their bodies just don't work that way. For me, if I'm awake, I'm awake, and I won't be able to get back to sleep.

Seriously! Read what I said. You go to the District Court first, get a judgement and THEN call the gardai. Are ye saying the gardai won't enforce a court order.

If you've been calling the gardai first you're doing it wrong. And a once off party isn't actionable either. Waking someone 5 days a week at 5am will, imo.

As a matter of interest, would a screaming baby fall into that category?

#JusticeForJustJoe

Whatever you do, OP, don’t go for a piss and flush the toilet in the middle of the night. You’ll be up in court before the water pump shuts off 🤣😂

so many people are comparing it to a microwave ping or a toaster or something, its not, this is a mechanical coffee grinder noise :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuJgoq3Aiso

I've a feeling no judge would rule in your favour in this instance. 🙂 It does sound like the sound proofing is inadequate though.

Oh sorry I wasn't seeking advise on whether I could go after them for that, I was just wondering as a matter of interest. So it's down to a judges opinion in the end, I hope the judge is a pretentious coffee drinking prick, we have to look after our own.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,276 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Toasters dont sound like power tools so the parallel you drew makes no sense,

its about having some consideration, clearly it doesn't resonate with you.

A human crying is a distress signal and cannot be reasonably stopped, so no judge will adjudicate that it is noise disturbance. You grinding beans at 5am is a different matter. So, even if the judge is a fellow grinding degenerate 😛 he'll need to apply the law.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭Emma2019

That is hilarious. No guard or court would pursue 15 seconds of noise as being a nuisance. Parties, shouting, construction work are what gets covered by those regulations.

Thirdly you’d be dreaming if you thought you wouldn’t be laughed out of court.

No one is saying he can't have fresh coffee in the morning. There is no reason he can't grind his beans the night before, store them in an airtight container or ziplock bag, and not wake his neighbour at 5am.

As already quoted:

Domestic noise - '... the Act allows any person, a local authority or the EPA to complain to the District Court about a noise that is ‘so loud, so continuous, so repeated, of such duration or pitch or occurring at such times as to give reasonable cause for annoyance to a person in any premises in the neighbourhood or to a person lawfully using any public place’ and seek an order to deal with the noise nuisance.

So a noise repeated every workday morning at 5am is a reasonable cause for annoyance. The neighbour has the law on his side and grounds to make a complaint, if he really wanted to.

Hopefully it won't come to that.

Grinding coffee and a toaster popping up aren't quite in the same noise league.

I should probably point out that it was tongue in cheek because someone will most certainly take it seriously.

That is interesting though, Thank you for that. I'm assuming a dog barking would fall into the same category as that damn coffee grinder despite the fact it is most likely in distress also.

It's not, but I understand the point the poster is making. Say I was having a shower, would that be seen as being as unreasonable as the coffee maker?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I don't think you'll get unanimity on it being a reasonable cause of annoyance. To be honest that's quite debatable.

If I were the OP, I'd take some steps to reduce the noise, such as moving the machine as far as practically possible from the party wall, and placing it on a rubber mat. If you own the property, I'd look into checking if there are holes in the walls joining your two houses too. Just take reasonable steps for noise mitigation, nothing that costs money.

What I wouldn't do, is stop having your coffee. I've lived next to sensitive clowns like this, one came up to my door asking me to turn down the TV at 6:30 in the evening (it was at 25 while I was making the dinner). Quite frankly, he will have to get used to the noise of life and should be told so or you'll be getting complaints about showers, flushing the toilet or pissing in the bowl next.

You're not, though. You're grinding coffee.

Get a friend to blind test you with freshly ground coffee and 8-hour ground coffee held in an airtight container and see how that goes.

I'm aware of that, But that's not answering the question.

Leaving this scenario aside, Say my neighbor had an issue with me having a shower at 5am prior to going to work. Is that considered unreasonable?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭ForestFire

A Few things...

There are plenty of suggestions to reduce the noise at 5am and it's not clear which the OP is willing to do (some he has answered but not all), there maybe a big difference between putting a mat under the machine Vs grinding the day/night before.

Also op said they used to drink instant or take tablets in the morning, so it's like like coffee from the new grinder is essential. There must be other parts of the day where you can treat yourself to a special coffee, or is it only drink 1 cup at home a day.

When my daughter brushes her teeth in the morning, sometimes she puts the electric toothbrush in the sink or wall and it vibrates from downstairs to upstairs quite loudly. Is the Grinder against a wall, near any plumbing?

Comparing this to a child crying, not a great tbh and not something you can control or frequent, but also things like bin collectors. This happens infrequently, like once a fortnight, and is it even as early as 5am anywhere?

Dogs barking, very interesting...so our residents association send reminders all the time about dogs barking even during the daytime, due to Nightshift workers, so yes dogs barking seen as not okay.

They have also highlighted certain loud cars ( probably just need a service I'm sure!), driving late at night or early in the morning disturbing the peace.

I don't need unanimity or to debate it.

The point is, there is a path the neighbour could go down to take this further if they really wanted to. What matters is that he finds it an annoyance. Once a formal complaint is made, then its out of both their hands.

But how awful would it be, if it had to come to that, when a decent storage container could solve the problem for both the OP and his neighbour.

If a formal complaint was made it would probably sour any relationship on both sides for good, and that's not a path Id recommend anyone to go down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Classic boards thread.

Guy comes with a problem. Gets piled on by a load of keyboard warriors.

Rinse and repeat.

• Advertisement

There used to be a Rant thread where people could post and no one could disagree with them. Is that what you are looking for?

I'd say it's approx 50/50 support for both parties. Is that not enough?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

To be fair, if said neighbour was the type to lodge a "formal complaint" over the noise a coffee machine running and a microwave door opeing then that neighbourly relationship has no chance from the off. You'd just end up ignoring that mad neighbour, much like what would happen to any "formal complaint".

A judgement for making coffee in the morning :)

You're missing the point. The amount of time taken to wake someone is irrelevant. It can take only a second. A once off, no court would entertain it. 5 days a week for months. I'd bet good money they'd make an order along the lines of:-

1. Op puts in place a noise suppressor
    2. Improve the insulation in the house
    3. Desist from making noise that can wake someone in another room before x time.

But, we agree no garda would pursue it before a court order. They definitely would if a court so decided. I think we'll have to agree to disagree that waking someone up at 5am five days a week due to noise in a domestic setting wouldn't give rise to an order by the court to mitigate the noise. The gardai would only get involved if the court order was not carried out. The gardai would not then be intervening due to noise pollution but because a court order was not carried out.

The funny thing about the law is that it needs to carry out what it says it will carry out. The OPs neighbour would need to prove the noise is so egregious as to wake him, and is consistently carried out in the early morning.

To clarify, I've made attempts to dampen the noise, and failing that, for the sake of avoiding awkwardness for my partner and housemate, I'll probably grind the night before.May have missed something else but I'm not going to move house, nor am I going to carry out considerable renovation works.

Coffee machine is on a counter, as far as possible from the parting wall. It's closer to the stud partition separating the kitchen and the bedroom that my partner sleeps in. Bizarrely it doesn't waker her despite the fact she's not a heavy sleeper.

Your third point has no relevance whatsoever IMO.

The rest of your points are referring to hypothetical situations which also have no relevance to the situation.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement