Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,500 ✭✭✭touts

With McCourt's NBI? Not a chance. They will be out of business this time next year and the contract will be back to tender process. So the only hope for this decade is an actual telecommunications company gets awarded the contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

Digiweb called me about the pre-order today, and I asked if they had any information on the launch of the 2gpbs NBI offering in the new year. They didn't yet. I'm wondering if many of the resellers will actually offer it. They'd need new hardware with 2.5gbps ports (ideally both on the WAN and at least one LAN port), and for example, I don't see any Fritzbox models that support 2x2.5gbe.... They have a single port 2.5gbe model with an SFP (https://en.avm.de/products/fritzbox/fritzbox-5530-fiber/), so perhaps they could use that but my understanding is the ONT box must be seperate and not inside a router?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

That's interesting. Why do you think the ONT 'must' be seperate? Maybe that's only because routers don't normally have them and with units like that Fritzbox the need isn't there anymore? You free up a power outlet by not having a seperate ONT too.

Or of course it could be to do with keeping a fragile fibre cable out of the hands of the monkeys end users.

I had just assumed from the NBI installation docs that they wouldn't be deviating from the standard ONT + ROUTER setup. Personally I'd much rather the straight-to-SFP setup. Hopefully that's the way they go. Wondering what the SIRO folks on 2gbit connections in kilkenny are using.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Agent Avenger

I got the e-mail this morning too which confirms that we are in the Carrigaline deployment area even though NBAiii had maps that suggested Passage/Monkstown might have been part of the relatively unknown Cork-Mahon DA. It still says Dec-Jan but not available to pre-order yet. The first house connected in Carrigaline was in January, it doesn’t really bode well for one DA to take a year or more.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I do not think that it will get to that stage. It's too attractive a contract. I fully expect that the contract will be sold on. Eir or Vodafone look ideally placed to take this on or even a company like the ESB. Retentering is not an option.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 7,349 ✭✭✭naughto

Eircode went pre order today,haven't seen a sign of a van in months it's a new build so will need new poles right to the house.

Is there a time limit from pre order to connection??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,424 ✭✭✭Gusser09

It would have to go to a tender. I don't see it getting to that though. If NBI are and McCourt are having issues with such an attractive contract why the hell would anyone else take it on on those terms. Eir, Voda or anyone else wouldn't take it without significant changes.

• Advertisement

Don't rush to any judgement on how this will pan out. We'll know more in February when the first of the performance penalties are due to be levied (but actually will result in just less money been given to NBI)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Orebro

Just stop, seriously - making baseless statements like this is utterly pointless. The rollout is happening and will continue to happen.

What makes you think McCourt etc are any worse than the likes of Eir? Eir are just as much sharks as the next company, and believe you me have plenty investor types on the books too. It's also a great thing for this country that Eir aren't the ones that would have rural Ireland by the balls like they've done for decades, they're like dealing with the mafia.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Gary kk

I guess realistically a 3/6 month delay at moment is not that bad when it is thought about in current working environment. I think what has got people's back up is the government promises of an accelerated rollout. Feckers should just have kept there mouths shut.

As for the guys stripping the cream off the top well that is bad form. But finding a company that wouldn't ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Orebro

Exactly. There appears to be a bit of revisionism going on with Eir, as if they have some sort of fantastic track record, and nothing could be further from the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

We moved to Pre-order yesterday, I called digiweb and they booked is in for a survey the first week of January.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭clohamon

Department has updated its NBP pages.

Some 54,000 premises across the country will be able to pre-order or order high-speed broadband by the end of December 2021

Over 4,600 premises connected to the NBP network

More than 1,200 orders placed and premises pending connection 

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Nolars

That's a fair Jump, checked nbi website it says 54000 can at least preorder.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Slates

Lots of NBI vans in North Kilkenny over the past week ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 pman35

Eir stopped there fibre about 500 metres from my house! So my question is. Will NBI start from that point when connecting my home? Are do they have to bring a whole new fibre cable from there exchange which is about 8km away. Thanks

• Advertisement

8km away! What mountain are you hidden on

• Registered Users Posts: 18,000 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Just got an email saying the survey for our house was underway with estimated connection Jan 2023 - Dec 2024 however when you check their website the entire area still shows as survey planned for 2023 -2024. I have no faith in this at all, cannot wait to install starlink.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,550 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

NBI has chosen to overrun the existing eir fibre cable all the way from the exchange. Nothing preventing them from using the eir fibre except maybe the annual cost per meter from the exchange.

This is fairly normal. For example in the Tipperary DA, there are houses in multiple states depending on where you are around the area.

There were premises in:

Network build in progress

Ready to connect

Ready for pre-order

,only a few km apart. It depends on what road heading away from the exchange you're on. Our DA overall is "Network Build in progress", but for many homes, they're further along than that. The state of your own Eircode should always trump the overall DA state

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I've looked on openeir.ie, and I can't find the product that allows you to take dark fibre from the end of an existing 300k fibre run. Can you point me to it?

There is no specific product that I know of because NBI/Dept of Comms have not gone with this option because they see it as more expensive than over-running the existing cable. The Dept has said the use of eir fibre remains an option.

This was discussed at an Oireachtas Committee with the Dept last year, the main points were; - The NBI fibre overrun option is the cheaper option - Eir fibre could be reused in future if it proves to be the cost effective in a particular situation

Chairman: Essentially, it was more cost effective to lay fibre on top of Eir’s fibre.

Mr. Patrick Neary: Yes.

Mr. Patrick Neary: As I mentioned, that does not mean that Granahan McCourt or National Broadband Ireland, NBI, cannot use that fibre going forward. NBI still has that option to pursue when it gets into low level design. It could pursue that fibre as an option in certain circumstances where it makes sense for it and where that product can still satisfy the requirements on future proofing and capacity. It is not off the table, as such.

You probably know this already, but for everyone else, the price of dark fibre is regulated by Comreg and the current regulated cost of dark fibre per metre per annum (for 1 single fibre) is 28c in Dublin and 15c outside Dublin. Prices reducing to 12c nationwide for 2022/23 and 11c from mid 2023.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Untruedetective

Is the point not that it would’ve been quicker to use the DF and everyone just beyond the eir fibre who are currently down for 25/26 would - most likely - have been connected sooner?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,951 ✭✭✭✭listermint

But EIR are absolute legends. Totally super like. They'll be along to connect that guys house any minute now...

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Untruedetective

But it wouldn’t be eir connecting anyone - in a 100 metre race NBI would be starting from the 50m mark instead of starting all the way back - that’s the point

• Advertisement

Without doubt, I'm about 700m from where eir stopped fibre on my road, I'll be waiting until 2025/26 for NBI to connect me. Could be sooner if they connected directly to eir's fibre.

If I remember correctly, this was raised at an Oireachtas Committee discussion back in October, it may happen in future to mop up small numbers properties like mine above, hope it happens.

Advertisement