Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,360 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

You’ve done exactly what he wanted when he wrote that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭ersatz

I'd say it's his predictability that might be an obstacle if there were other top class options available to a coach, there aren't. But I'm not sure that top end pace is such an issue, and Im not sure what athleticism means (maybe his step, feint, dummies?). On pace, is Sexton 2021 faster than RB, or Burns or Carty? Carty's try the other day suggested to me that his top end pace is not very fast, relative to fast rugby players.

Anyway, I guess I'm just riffing on the fact that I see a lot of assumptions about how awesome Harry is, without any evidence that people can point to in actual matches (particularly against top opposition), and by the same token, lots of assumptions about how limited RB is by reference to intangibles like athleticism, top end pace, etc that I haven't seen a great deal of evidence is in greater abundance among his rivals. Yeah he sits deep, but he can and does fix defenders and create outside space, he has a good grubber, is a solid kicker out of hand, but is predictable and not very creative. On those limitations he has company in the group that lines up behind Sexton.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭TRC10

I see a lot of assumptions about how awesome Harry is, without any evidence that people can point to in actual matches

If you don't accept that there's evidence that Harry Byrne has the potential to be an excellent out half and better than Ross, than either you haven't watched enough of him, you don't know what evidence to look for or you're choosing to ignore the evidence.

When it comes to H.Byrne people seem to be confusing lack of availability, with lack of ability. I think there's also a sense of recency bias as he's had a couple of poor cameos this season (most likely down to serious rust)

Now having said all that, I think he should be allowed to develop naturally at Leinster without being fast-tracked into Ireland squads based on his potential. Farrell seems to be trying to rush him into the team in time for the RWC rather than just letting his career take it's natural path.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭ersatz

I'll never argue about Harry's potential because how long is a piece of string. As for evidence, I've asked here and people pointed to potential. I agree with you, I've no idea why Harry is in the conversation about Irish #10, I'd love to see him push his brother and Sexton out of his way and take the ten shirt at Leinster but it didn't happen this year, for all his potential. He's a long way off Irish ten for the 6N. Harry has shown some flashes of brilliance against ordinary opposition and has shown he's ok against more difficult opposition, he's also made his share of mistakes but simply has not had enough games for people to bang their fists on the table pointing to 'evidence of potential', as if that's evidence of anything but potential. I coach a high school team here and a couple of them have insane potential but if there was one who hadn't been able to play but a few minutes here and there for the last year I wouldn't be taking much time to argue that he'll be great once he plays some rugby. It's a Long way back.

I've no idea why Harry is in the conversation about Irish #10

Is he though? I've never heard anyone here argue that he should be in the conversation for Irish 10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

It’s not top end pace, he’s not a winger. It’s the pace to find a gap himself and exploit it. Sexton is still quick enough to do this as he showed a couple of times in the AI’s. Both Burns and Carty are also consistently good at finding gaps themselves.

The fact defenders know Ross can’t do this, is what makes him predictable. That they just have to pick out the runners playing off him. He’s a controller who orchestrates what others do.

For what it’s worth, from what I have seen so far. Harry is the exact opposite, a great baller, with a huge gain line threat but lacks the ability to control games. That’s not just the last few games where he might have been forcing it a little. That’s my overall perception. Though he did a good job against Connacht. If you could put the two of them together, you’d probably have the perfect out half.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,598 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

But ultimately, if the guy who picks the squad thinks he’s in the conversation, then he’s in the conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,804 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Would they compliment each other in a 10/12 or 10/13 combo with plenty of switching in and out to keep the opposition guessing?

It would take a lot of planning to set it up though, I've not seen that type of strategy in action before, but maybe it has been used somewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

At the moment for Leinster it seems Frawley is playing that play maker 12 role. We’ll see how that goes. Frawley and Harry seem relatively similar to me. Both very instinctive attackers always looking to break the line and consequently force it too often. Ross is far more measured but having a playmaker outside him may work well for him.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

"He never plays and when he does plays he's not very good"

Sorry but it's hard to expect someone to accept... anything on that kind of evidence.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭starkid

New central deal for Murray. Irish rugby never learns does it.

I wonder is he still on a 500k plus deal.

madness

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

Well he had 2 sub appearances where he tried to force things. His one start was very good but still needs alot more gametime

Well he stays with Munster anyway what does it matter where his paycheque comes from? This stuff about central contracts is really overblown.

Lads.

Murray was already on a central contract and was literally dropped.

It means nothing in terms if selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Retaining Murray is a nice piece of business - although I'm surprised that he wanted 2 years instead of the 1. He is almost certainly on the plane to the World Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭starkid

it means nothing if heś earning more than the starting 9? suuure. thats great for morale and finances

• Registered Users Posts: 10,480 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Central contracts are an absurd concept at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,001 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Sure we've no idea what he's earning but it's almost certain he's taken a hefty cut, given his age.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭PMC83

World cups still just under 2 years away. I'd say theres nothing certain about it. Its painfully clear that his speed doesn't fit in with the high tempo game style Ireland want to play at the moment. The game slows right down as soon as he comes on. If he loses the starting jersey at Munster, he could well be out of the Ireland squad for the next WC. If Kidney shows up at Munster I can see him swinging the axe re starting spots, Casey all day.

Murrays been a excellent servant but whens the last time he actually lit a game up?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

We have no idea what he's earning but at 32 he's well beyond peak earnings at this stage.

Yeah Gibson-Park's morale sure looked really low in November....

I'm sure all the players are really depressed now because Ireland's best ever scrum half got a new contract.

As for finances, why do you care?

The myth that centrally contracted players are guaranteed to start, has been debunked countless times.

Is the central contract system starting to look a bit flawed? Whats the point in having them for players who are not absolute nailed on starters?

I think the IRFU can supplement certain players' wages but they shouldn't make a big song and dance about it like they do by labelling an elite group as 'centrally contracted'.

It should just be "Murray signs on with Munster" and we shouldn't know how much is coming from the IRFU.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I doubt Murray makes the world cup. Casey is probably going as is JGP. Murray may go and hold tackle bags.

Devin Toner was centrally contracted in 2019

Case closed

and opened again for the 6 nations, but then closed again.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭jimdemp

But without them Leinster would fall apart. Furlong and Sexton get around 2 million a year. English clubs have a salary cap of 5 million a year. The money made from Irish games pretty much bank roll Leinster rugby. Harry byrne will probably get a central contract next because of this amazing "ceiling" bod raves about.

• Advertisement

Someone has a chip on their shoulder!

Advertisement