Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Alternative News Channel "GB News" chaired by Andrew Neil launching - read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Glock17

I think there are a lot of deep pockets behind GB News.....

What I still dont understand is why so many people here spend their waking life posting about a TV Channel in a foreign country which has few viewers?

I think the left wing is threatened by GB News.... I'll be honest, I dont think the left wing can discuss issues. They have viewpoints and if you disagree with them you are shut out of the debate..... traditional media only allow certain things to be said....

If GB News presents other viewpoints (which the average Brit shares) it has to be a good thing..... It's just not healthy having a traditional media which pushes a left wing mindset and pretends it represents the average Brit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Hoop66

Are you honestly suggesting that the "traditional media" in the UK is pushing a left wing mindset?

The top 10 selling newspapers, in order, in the UK are:

The Sun, The Daily Mail, The Evening Standard, Daily Mirror, The Times, The Daily Express, The Daily Star, i, Financial Times, The Guardian

2 of those papers could be classed as left wing - 4th & 10th.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Have you got any evidence that the media here is all left wing and pushing a left wing mindset. If it wasn't representing the average Brit, it wouldn't exist. GB News only exists because its backers have deep pockets and don't seem to mind wasting their cash on a channel nobody watches.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 32,718 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I wonder who those backers are exactly...it's surely a coincidence that a tonne of their staff were part of vote leave or similar organisations?

I have to say the fact they are hiring people like Darren Grimes (vote leave/beleave) it really shows you they are scrapping the bottom of the barrel.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I asked here once what Darren Grimes brought to the channel and the answer was his sexual interest in men.

As for the backers, it'll be some dodgy hedge fund managers and the like operating behind the scenes. The lack of transparency here is just another sign that GB News was only founded to profit off the culture war. You'd think wealthy people would have known that social media exists.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Advertisement

Darren Grimes. A man once deemed, by a court, to be too stupid to understand the rules he was accused of breaking.

In my more conspiracy-minded moments I find myself wondering if the whole GB News thing is a big money laundering operation.

Don't you need incoming money for that though?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,693 ✭✭✭✭L1011

In cases of money laundering, you have incoming money from something else.

Anyway, its clear in this case that its the backers using it as a political play. Lots of foreign money coming in to try manipulate UK politics further - or it would if anyone in the UK was watching.

Indeed. But that's what makes me suspicious of the channel in the first place. It's being run buy someone who made a lot of money elsewhere so presumably understands business. When a business is doing this badly (I'm sure EH will be along to tell us that it's surging from strength to strength - I mean, why else would a channel hire someone who hasn't worked in years because of their increasingly fringe views), the sensible thing to do would be to pull the plug and cut your losses. It must be obvious to them that things aren't going to get any better, so why haven't they?

Certain viewpoints just aren't allowed by the big TV broadcasters and certain viewpoints are constantly pushed... In the UK we have the BBC which constantly pushes a viewpoint that Brits are inherently racist etc.

I'd imagine a lot of people here have spent time in the UK and watched the BBC? How often is Stephen Lawrence mentioned by the BBC? He was a black teenager killed by a gang of whites. Yeah, it was a tragedy and it shouldn't have happened. However it happened in 1993.... why is the murder of a black teen 30 years ago constantly mentioned by the BBC?

I've worked abroad and seen other national broadcasters. Once you compare them to European ones it becomes really really obvious that European broadcasters have an agenda.

Honestly, if GB News presents a different viewpoint that has to be a good thing? Or maybe some people here disagree with freedom of speech?

• Advertisement

How often is Stephen Lawrence mentioned, exactly? You appear to know, so tell us. Because I couldn't tell you last time I heard any mention.

It was mentioned a lot more often, say, nine years ago when the trial eventually happened.

If they sincerely believe that GB News is a font of "racism, homophobia, ethno-nationalism, and xenophobia" - then of course, it follows, they want the channel shut down.

Otherwise, they'd be arguing in favour of the free speech and expression of "racism, homophobia, ethno-nationalism, and xenophobia".

It's all about shutting down and censoring opinions that they fundamentally disagree with.

If you can't silence the opinion, then tar it with one of the above labels in the meantime.

OK, brits go out and willingly buy newspapers. The bulk of newspapers sold are described as "right wing".

So how can the likes of the Daily Mail be described as right wing? It's the paper that most newspapers Brits buy... by definition it's a mainstream middle of the road newspaper....

What's happened over the last 50 years is that anyone that doesn't support a left wing viewpoint is shouted down and labelled a right winger.

It's just not healthy for society that certain viewpoint cant be aired etc.

1: That's not how you define what is middle of the road. At all.

2: The Mail is not the highest selling paper in the UK.

Does the fact that you know who Stephen Lawrence is not tell you something?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Where are you getting your data from regarding leaning of publications?

Go onto a BBC comment section and you'll see plenty call the BBC a leftist propaganda and others saying it's a right wing propaganda station.

So how do you define what a middle of the road newspaper is if it's not by sales? Maybe you just decide what newspapers are "middle of the road"?

Hoops said the Daily Mail is second by sales. I understand it is actually first.... if it is first or second it is still a mainstream newspaper...

By their political leaning. As that is what is being discussed.

Trying to claim it by sales is possibly the most stupid thing I've heard in quite some time. If that was the case, how would you decide what was right or left from the lower selling papers, exactly?

• Advertisement

Which is a hallmark of almost every one of your posts against GB News on this thread, ironically.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,364 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Genuine question. What were you expecting? You make up statements that nobody made to get outraged and then I'm supposed to treat as gospel the ludicrous narrative that the UK is left wing or that GB News has anything but a miniscule viewer base.

I live in the UK. I see through the silly narrative you peddle here to shut down criticism of this failed TV channel nobody watches.

Every single time without fail, you've responded to requests for evidence with gaslighting and that's when you deign to respond at all.

By your logic since Fox News is the most popular news station in the US, it's middle of the road... Which it clearly isn't.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

A decent chunk of the funding comes from the United Arab Emirates - That bastion of free-speech and open journalism.

Another chunk is from Paul Marshall, a strong supporter and financial backer of the Vote Leave campaign.

Nothing dodgy there then.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,718 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

So a drama about a real life event? It happens constantly and it is a story worth telling imo. Also it was on ITV not BBC (that article is under entertainment and the arts) which is who that poster was trying to run down for mentioning it constantly...which they don't.

Shall I point you to all the dramas about events that happened decades ago?

• Advertisement

One link, from four months ago, to a report on an actual event (the drama being aired by ITV) is sufficiently strong of an answer to make you laugh out loud? Really?

That's a pathetic attempt to answer the question, which the person I asked was unable to answer in the first place.

Did you just go searching for a vaguely recent mention on the BBC site at all and post the link without reading?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement