Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rose Of Tralee now accepting trans applicants (Threadbanned List in OP)

Options

Comments

Ballsbridge: "Hold my beer!"

Stillorgan: "Whatever."

The likes of the rose of Tralee is a bit naff and outdated, this is an effort to modernise it. The likely outcome will be the first trans woman to enter will win. And the 2nd time a trans person enters they will not have a hope in hell of winning.

Not sure there is much of a future for that type of show in the long run though either way.

Why does it? It's a competition that's changed it's criteria, there's not some special advantage that trans women gain. There's no biological test of any kind with the contest, it's based on traits of a social construct rather than chromosomal which you tend to be infatuated with. Thought you were pro trans rights? But pretty much any acknowledgement or inclusion seems to drive you crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭MarkEadie

I agree with you. Just out of interest, would you date a trans woman?

No idea, would likely depend on attraction being present or not. This is pretty off topic though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

@OMM 0000 do not post in this thread again

• Registered Users Posts: 33,329 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Does it matter? I wouldn't date a redhead, but I acknowledge they exist and have rights.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

People identifying as babies/cats/trees and so on.

So, just to get this straight; the solution to the problem of what to do with a women's competition is to have men compete in said competition?

Can't you see the problem here? The moment you propose such a thing, you are advocating for the complete elimination of what it means to have such a thing in the world as a "women's competition".

That's what I and others have been warning against for years. Once the biological sexes are done away with as a meaningful category, it leads to nothing but ruination for what it means to be a woman, what it means to have women-only safe spaces, and what it means to have women's athletic competitions.

This example - with the Rose of Tralee - is yet another example of this kind of encroachment of biological men into biological women's spaces; and it's simply not on.

No it's not.

It's a beauty/personality competition and there is not a thing wrong with letting trans women enter. It doesn't affect any other competitors, not does it affect any biological women, as you call them. Trans women are not at any great advantage in this competition.

It's a total nothing.

• Advertisement

So far you seem to be getting outraged about something actual contestants aren't complaining about.. Like the marriage rule etc are something that people traditionally complain about. So far in this thread it seems to be the same people who complain about anything trans related. Can you point to some former contestants objecting? Like anyone of note who isn't obsessed with complaining about trans people on a regular basis?

Sugestion was tongue in cheek - but the obvious answer is that it doesn't automatically have to be a "women's competition"?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

This example - with the Rose of Tralee - is yet another example of this kind of encroachment of biological men into biological women's spaces; and it's simply not on.

It's funny, because on other threads you're always on about the distinction between biological sex and gender.

And then when there's an actual thread about gender - the Rose of Tralee entry criteria are gender based - you're constantly going on about biological sex.

Not sure if that's a calculated disingenuity, or mere carelessness.

Funnily Eskimo doesn't appear to be able to explain how the contest is a biological contest rather than gender based....

People are afraid to speak out on this topic; a very real climate of fear exists. Many people know what the backlash will be / and the real attempts that exist to silence those voices and destroy their careers. To be honest, I don't blame them; they're thinking of their career and don't want to destroy it by "saying the 'wrong thing'". That's their right, and I respect that - but if it were me, I'd be making a holy show about it, without fear of what the "consequences" might be.

We've seen this elsewhere with other women's competitions, so there is enormous precedent. To give a contemporary example, when:

Penn’s Lia Thomas won three events and swam the fastest time in the country in two of those races, but her swims are causing a stir because of Thomas’ status as a transgender athlete.

At the time, your equivalent was on here arguing that, "Well, nobody swimming against her is complaining, so what's the problem?".

Then look what we discovered:

The second female Penn swimmer to speak out, who was granted anonymity due to what is viewed as threats from the university, activists, and the political climate, wants people to know that Penn swimmers are "angry" over the lack of fairness in the sport as Lia Thomas destroys the record books and brings fellow teammates to tears.

"They feel so discouraged because no matter how much work they put in it, they’re going to lose. Usually, they can get behind the blocks and know they out-trained all their competitors and they’re going to win and give it all they’ve got," the source said.

The same is true re: Rose of Tralee. Women will not say what they think, and we shouldn't be surprised about this either.

It's pretty revolting actually, that people are fearful for their careers about speaking up against something they believe to be wrong.

But them's the times we live in.

What relevance is a sporting event? The rose of Tralee doesn't involve anything that a trans woman can have an advantage in. Your not comparing like for like and instead claiming some silent majority that isn't speaking out... Like a more reasonable comparison would be considering a trans woman in an acting award or something and realistically that shouldn't be an issue.

The principle is the same, whether we're talking about an athletic or a non-athletic competition, such as the Rose of Tralee.

No matter what the competition, biological women are terrified to speak their mind about the trans- question. Absolutely terrified to say what they think.

Anecdotally, the number of people who've said to me over the years, "I completely agree with you, but sure what can you do; it causes too much trouble to say what you think". Once they realise it's safe to open up to someone, they speak. Privately or otherwise, they keep schtum.

And let's not forget that many trans women agree with me, too - including Blaire White, Rose of Dawn, and Debbie Hayton - among many other prominent trans women.

So, you're not just disagreeing with me, you're disagreeing with these trans women, too.

But sure even when they claim that trans women are supposed to have a sure advantage in sport, it doesn't necessarily work out.

Laurel Hubbard in weightlifting is often mentioned as one such example - even in this thread. How could biological women possibly compete against a trans woman, with all her male conditioning and testosterone and history? Sure fire winner.

What they conveniently leave out is Ms. Hubbard's results at the Olympics. She competed in the +87kg category. Here's the official results:

Hang on, she didn't get gold. She didn't even get a medal.

In fact, she isn't listed on the results at all?

She's not, because she didn't complete a single lift, and so got a Did Not Finish (DNF).

She entered the competition on the same rules as everyone else, she tried, and she didn't succeed.

So much for the transvantage!

Of course, since this whole argument failed so badly, they've gone on now to claim that the issue isn't actually that trans women will win, but that it's fundamental discrimination against biological women that they even compete at all. Which ironically is redefining what discrimination is in a much more insidious and devious way than so-called redefining what a woman or a man is.

Again, she entered the competition on the same rules as everyone else, she tried, and she didn't succeed.

And yet, she's somehow discriminated against others. Just by existing and having the audacity to ask for a chance to take part.

And the same argument is being used here today.

The whole argument against trans people taking part in society is based on disingenuity. But if you repeat it enough times, people will believe it.

Totally missing the point.

Nobody is arguing against Laurel Hubbard on the grounds that Hubbard will win everything, forever, even if she was 74-years old. Of course not, that's just silly.

The fundamental argument is that Laurel Hubbard took the place of what should have been a biological woman athlete, who had been training for years and years as a biological woman to get to that moment of participating in that Olympic event.

That is the fundamental injustice, and that's what's replicated in the Rose of Tralee and elsewhere.

It matters not an iota to me what position a trans woman comes in - 1st or 100th; what matters to me is that they take the place of a biological woman who should have earned that position.

Totally missing the point.

Of course it's not. More disingenuity.

It's clarifying the point in the face of people who which to discriminate against trans people constantly shifting the goalposts of the debate.

• Advertisement

I've answered your question already. See above.

And the discrimination, as you call it, is against biological women.

Are you familiar with Scarfolk Council?

"For more information, please re-read"

It's a parody, though.

People are not scared. I'm not scared - I'm speaking out. You're presumebly not scared - you're speaking out. Loads of people are speaking out. Look around you.

The only fear that exists as I said earlier is the fear that other people you don't like are suddenly going to be on the same level as you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Anyone who trains for years and years to compete in the Rose of Tralee has bigger issues than their spot being taken by a trans woman.

Women will say what they think.

What advantages do you feel trans women will have above biological women, in the Rose of Tralee contest?

And who elected you to speak for all these poor biological women, terrified to speak for themselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

Nice that finally women have a spokesman to speak up for them!

Three cheers!

@bubblypop - see my quoted post above for the answer re: advantage, as I already addressed that point in great detail.

Kind of strange that most of the outspoken SJW crowd are - wait for it - biological women...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

What are you on about? Gendered competition allows people of that gender to compete?

What's this got to do with the Olympics, which granted does provide some challenges in terms of ensuring a level playing field? Also why are you suddenly getting your knickers in a twist over this? It's literally been this way for years..

If you wanted to campaign for women's rights, then it would hazard a guess that it would probably be more fitting to campaign against the competition all together as most people don't really care about it these days..

Advertisement