Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh - thread 2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,866 ✭✭✭ozmo

Any recommendations on how to get a good deal on delivery charges… going ring a few garages but what charges would be reasonable- trying get a rough idea what total cost would be to buy new.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭zg3409

This is the ioniq 28kWh thread. If you intend buying a 38kWh new you may want to reconsider, but if you insist, do you have a car to trade in? If so it's the cost to change that matters, ring every dealer nationwide and ask cost to change with trade in. January not a great time to get a deal on a new car. Cars cone from South Korea by ship, so you may be restricted to specific colours in specific dealers or waiting for the slow boat. Dealers with last year stock may do a better deal, but prices in general are high.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,866 ✭✭✭ozmo

Thanks- looking at all options. Just starting my research, Ionic looks best so far - but 38kWh not good then?

Its odd Garages wont give full price when advertising new- cannot think of any other item where you buy it locally but have to pay “delivery” and unspecified “other” charges.

I will ring a few garages but should i be expecting like 1k or 5k? Or more? Or can some garages consider it part of the price of the car?

trying to see whats in my budget… My trade in wont be worth much.

thanks.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭denismc

Delivery charges can add upto 2k to the price of the car but many of them are options like paint protection and service plans which are usually poor value.

So drop as many of the optional extras as you can and you will save quite a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

There seems to be very limited changes from the 38Kwhr model, quoting 311km which is the same. It is probably more a branding thing as they want the Ioniq name to be used across a range of vehicles.

I wonder will they tick the box to enable Blue Connect on the Ioniq 3, or will they do the same as the Ioniq 38 :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

It's just a rename

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,942 ✭✭✭✭josip

Would have been an interesting trip yesterday. Strong headwind and wet roads.

Blocked, flooded road in Clonroche and numerous failed attempts to find a way around resulted in a total trip of 170km, the final 50km of which was spent refmailiarising myself with villages in Wexford that I haven't been in for 30 years.

What's the story with fording a flooded road in an EV, better or worse than in an ICE?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,607 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I have never owned an Ioniq, and I believe they are an excellent car, but the styling is starting to look dated, even on this new model.

Needs a bigger facelift imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

I agree, I love my 28kw, and would be interested in the 38, but it does need a refresh, not just in the looks department.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭Miscreant

It is a shame they can't put the 64kWh battery from the Kona into the Ioniq 28/38. The car would be a really great long distance machine then. I have the PHEV Ioniq at the moment and I am very impressed with it. It has everything I could ever want in a car and as it is a UK import, it has all the goodies (heated and cooled seats, heated steering wheel, LKA and LFA and even heated seats in the rear). I got a great deal on mine at the time (€17k for a 2019) and have put over 16000km on it since February with more than half of that on electric power alone.

I will be curious to see what Hyundai do with the platform in 2023 but renaming it the Ioniq 3 right now is a bit silly considering there has really only been 1 iteration of it (if you ignore the facelift).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Much better than an ICE car. Batteries are sealed. In an ICE car, once water goes via the air intake into the engine, it's end of story. And end of engine. The Tesla Model S is known to float for a good bit in deepish water (and get propelled by the turning wheels)

• Registered Users Posts: 31 grange girl

Love my 2019 28kwh Ioniq and really enjoyed having android auto but this has started cutting out on me. It now cuts out after less than 10 minutes. Any suggestions of what i can do? I have changed the connecting cable to no avail.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭denismc

I had this happen to me, the phone would cut out after around 10 minutes.

I can't remember exactly what I did but I think the issue was something to with app permissions or app settings.

I think I fixed it by uninstalling and reinstalling the Android auto app on my phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 grange girl

Thanks Denis, I will give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

Try using a different Android phone, is this fixes the problem , then your phone is the issue

If you have the same problem with two phones, update car firmware

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

We were out on the 24th doing meath to wexford, and on the 25th doing wexford dublin wexford (non nuclear family with complex childcare agreements on christmas). We were just outside ferns (near where the awful accident was on the 26th) and there were lots of flooding and closed-ish roads.

Range was very bad on the dublin to wexford leg on both days. I could have struggled to get 130km motorway range if I were pushing it. I topped up more than usual as I saw how quick the range was going down.

I'd much prefer to be in an EV in a flooded road than a ICE. Once the wheels are still on the ground you will be fine in an EV. 6 -9 inches or so of water and you'd be fine in an EV whereas in a normal ICE there would be issues.

Have a look at ioniq 38 kWh thread.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2057947749/38kwh-ioniq/p17

It's not the biggest battery, many modern EVs are 60+kWh battery size.

It charges much slower than 28kWh model, maybe half the speed, which means more time waiting mid trip at chargers, while with ioniq 28kWh you may be already on your way.

It depends on your daily commute. Under 130km/day then 28kWh will do it

170km/day then 38kWh will do it.

The 38kWh is a bit obsolete to buy new, particularly when used models may be available.

A 64kWh car will give you maybe 300km trip without needing to stop at all.

It depends on your routine trip type, budget and if you have access to another car for long trips. Public chargers are often busy, blocked, broken so you want to avoid charging in public regularly. Do your research before you rely on an EV as only transport for household. Running cost savings can be very high if your commute is big and your EV is low cost and matched to commute.

In terms of flooded road don't attempt any flooded road unless you are 100% certain on depth. Wait for another car to drive through. Ioniq battery is forced air cooled, so it may have vents. An ioniq was destroyed in Galway during a flood. Try another way if you can at all. In any car it's risky unless depth is below door sills.

I am not sure how this impacts warranty

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭RonnieL

Bought a 181 Ioniq last summer, and it's due a service. The hyundai garage is near my house, so planning to bring it there - what should I be expecting to pay? (I went through their site to book it in, but expecting a call back to confirm).

What is mileage? What was done last service? Prices vary by dealer and typically they just make a number up. Different things are needed at every second service etc. but they mainly do nothing. Also put up a photo of your software version from the radio screen. You may need to push for update as often they don't like doing (free) updates as it can take over an hour with laptop to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭eagerv

Paid €99 last year and told them they were robbers...😁. (All updates had already been done previously when we had a timed charging problem sorted under warranty)

Had car serviced this morning.

Last year's service was €80, this year €150 (brake fluid changed this time round). SFA for them to service to be honest but got the updated software and maps (though we should be able to do this at home).

Car is a 172 and original brake pads are only 20% worn after 50k Kms.

The regen doing a great job saving those pads!

Others may find it a gimmick but the garage sending a video of them showing the brake discs and tyre thread depth is a v nice touch imo. (Hyundai LongMile )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

Hi my service on 191 IOniq is due in two weeks, can someone here let me know please , what are the latest versions of firmware , maps etc are. (after the service < i want to check they have updated everything)

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭RonnieL

The mileage is about 95000kms, and I don't really know what was done in the last service. They rang me back and said it'll be €170, including the free software update. The only other things she mentioned were filters I believe. Money for old rope for them I suspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

€170 is a ripoff. EVs dont need servicing.

Make sure you take a photo of the software before and after going in. Lots of nefarious folks in dealers that don't want to spend the time updating the software.

Try get a quote from another nearby dealer. I got a discount by replacing cabin air filter / pollen filter myself by buying online delivered for 10 euro and it takes no tools and 3 minutes to fit behind glovebox.

The software has the date in the version number so you can check that the update has been done.

I got September 21 update for software, and Jan 22 for maps

That's a chunk of change.

Was there anything particular adding cost?

I have my receipt in front of me from today, labour of 93, pollen filter 30, brake fluid 4, screenwash 3.

They gave it a wash and hoover too.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 fluffykre

HI Emmet or anyone lese who has updated their software lately,

Could you confirm if you can still adjust the power modes on portable and station to the minimum setting after the update. A great added feature to the ioniq 28 new models dont have is you can charge below 1.4 kWh. With some claims as low as 0.7 kWh when you have the station set to minimum. Great for charging on eco plus mode on a zappi, charge up on more solar at lower generation times. The single phase eniro also has the feature:

Discussed here:

https://myenergi.info/viewtopic.php?p=36626#p36626
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgOTBe7Aguo&t=2s
    https://myenergi.info/download/file.php?id=8484

I am a little hesitant to update if the feature is lost as I am aware these updates can remove features as well as add new ones.

EV button -> EV settings -> charging current -> station -> minimum

EV button -> EV settings -> charging current -> portable -> minimum

I was chatting with someone who has a ioniq 38 and they advise they dont have this menu. They noted after a recent update they lost some features so they used, there was a histogram option. It lead to the thought that maybe a recent update may remove this from the ioniq 28. The ioniq 28 and 38 use different software so who knows maybe it never had it.🤷‍♂️

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,607 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

€170 And a free software update.

I'm going to guess that software update ain't free.

Advertisement