Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,507 ✭✭✭✭ted1

ESBN is a regulated business. Connections can be expensive but are approved by the regulator

• Registered Users Posts: 12,295 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

What's the max that I can draw from the house? If my car is charging at 7.2, battery charging at 2.4 and basic load around 400w that's a total of 10kW at once. Is that OK?

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

Most likely 63A so almost 14kW. Your meter might have current rating on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭innrain

It really depends on your connection which is measured in kVA representing the power available. The actual power used is measured in kW and would be less due to losses. These losses could vary for different apliances but it is generally accepted to be between 0.05 - 0.2

If you want to see the max MIC for your load you can use the formula

MIC *(1-losses)=Load =>MIC =Load/(1-losses)

ESB uses 0.05 for losses but adds a 5% for safetry

MIC = (Maximum Demand / 0.95) x 1.05

For 10kW power you would need some 11kVA MIC which in reality is 12kVA

Dividing 12000 VA by 240V =50A

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,940 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

50a?

That doesnt leave much headroom. If I'm charging my EV at 32a and then running my washing machine, dishwasher and tumble dryer at the same time... what happens if I put on a kettle or microwave?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

The fuse is usually 60A for a standard connection so you can use pretty much all of that. And my voltage is rarely, if ever 240V. I'm usually 220-230V but I know some will see 240V nearer the cities (and hence nearer the power).

In terms of blowing the fuse when you turn on a kettle, you'll have the load sensing charge point to counteract that. It will throttle down when the kettle comes on. Very simple and effective. No issue at all and even less so if you get the enhanced supply which gives you 80A to play with.

Also note that a washing machine and dishwasher dont draw that much power. They have a short timeframe where they heat small amounts of water. The rest of the time when they are spinning, washing etc use very little power.

The dryer is a big one alright though.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,940 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I have a basic rolec 32a where I am now, I doubt it has load sensing ability. It's not even wired to my fuse box - only to the meter.

Imagine 32a to the car, 10a to the kettle and another 10a to the dryer, plus a couple more amps for washing machine and dishwasher. That's not counting idle load like TVs, phone chargers etc and you're already over 50a and close to 60.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭innrain

240V is max voltage and usually calculated for safety reasons. 50A gets you continous usage of course your fuse would be bigger to accout for peak draws and voltage drops. If you use 220V the 12kVA gives you 55A. So in between. The kettle will draw up 10A for few tens of seconds. The rest way less. Probably the hob (ceramic) and the oven would be the biggest consumers in a house after the instant showers. All timed. A 50" inch TV uses around 100W so the current is in 100s mA. Lights, if LEDs, are less than 100W for a house. If you charge overnight mostly none of the above are in use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

The only things that physically limit the power you can draw into your house are the fuses and the wires. And fuses are there to protect the wires. If you draw more than the rated current your wires will overheat and possibly cause a fire. When we say your house is rated for 12kVA there is nothing measuring the watts you are drawing. So you could theoretically exceed 12kVA as long as your fuse (and wires) allow for it.

Based on the type of fuse you have you could draw more than the rated current (and note it's current not power) for a very short period of time before the fuse blows - to several tens of seconds or longer. Ultimately it boils down to how sensitive the fuse installed by ESB is. If it says 60A then there is a good chance a draw over 60A sustained for more than a few seconds will cause it to blow and you'll be left without power until ESB come and fix it.

@innrain The supply voltage being lower at 200V does not mean you can draw more current. That's not how fuses work. The 12kVA is derived using the nominal voltage of 230V. There is a large margin of error so the fuse is likely 60A instead of 12000/230 = 52.17A.

In conclusion, yes if you have a 12kVA supply and you charge at 32A and have your oven, dryer and dishwasher/kettle/toaster on at the same time you will cause the main MCB/RCBO in your consumer unit to trip. You want that to trip before you want the meter fuse to blow because the latter is expensive and involves a wait as only ESB can fix it. The trip switch on the other hand you can flick back yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Manion

All this stuff gets very confusing and overwhelming quickly, it's hard to keep track of what you need as a new person to the EV charger work. You'll be able to get the most out of a charger without without the need to upgrade, however, I would get a load balancing charger to avoid any issue. MCB/RCBOs can and do fail.

I can’t imagine a sparks will install and sign off an installation that’ll overload the main fuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,511 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Hope I'm not dragging folk away from all this complicated electrical talk, but I was wondering if anyone has any experience or data on tyres and how they affect range?

I recently put 2 new all season tyres on the front, and the 2 previous all season were moved to the back. Driving a Leaf.

In hindsight, maybe not a great idea, as I found out later they were F for efficiency. I did notice a drop in the range, but didn't take any 'BEFORE' data so can't work out how bad they are affecting it.

Anyone have any data on tyres they may have changed out?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Manion

I'd suggest you need a better imagination, plenty of people out there installing any auld stuff. Sure look at @ELM327 's post above, he has a 32A charger living it's best live. That said, load balancing isn't the only option, there where posts way back on this thread about chargers being installed and configured at 20A and even further back there are references to Pen devices which have to be manually reset if you draw two much power at once. I'd get an load balancer

I’d question some of the load balancing, I cud sun metering for years and you’d be surprised how many sparks can’t install a CT the right way. Half them probably think the house is exporting…

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Similar to @ELM327 I've a simple rolec. Wired to the fuse box, but it's a dumb charger. I did however install an energy monitoring ct clamp to keep an eye on things. Regular hit 10kW in the mornings when the car is finishing charging and we're making breakfast (oven or hob), or putting on a wash before the night rate ends. Think I've seen 12kW once. It's rare though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,392 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

A Fiat prototype from the mid-90s, similar to the Multipla.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭THE ALM

another range test from some of the cars that will be getting a lot of interest, Mach-E, Ionic 5, EV6 ,Enyaq etc

We drove these electric cars until they DIED! - YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭handpref

Second Black_Knight & ELM327, I’ve a twin Rolec securicharge (dumb) charger that is running from 11-7 every night, once one car finishes the other car starts and with our milage both cars need to be charged every night, pulling big amps all night with washing machine, dish washer and two 3.5kw air to air heat pumps. 60amp fuse no issues.

Found the Rolec’s great, been using them since 2014 and the only issue was replacing a €20 contactor. That’s with one charger doing 90,000km’s of electric driving and 200,000km’s on the other.

I would never make back the extra for a zappi on what the solar could put into a car- I’d need to double my 5.4 kwp array to make a zappi worth my while, add in no serviceable parts and it’s not worth it. In summer I plug in the granny charger to soak up any excess.

The 9kw shower pulls 40amps in winter.

The load balancing is very clever though and would be a nice addition if the treble priority switch system is ever replaced.

Screen shot shows one car charging, tapering, 3am the second car coming on and two quick showers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭cannco253

impressive figures from Germany and France, shows how slow progress is here...

France has seen an equally impressive 60% growth: from 31,849 in 11/2020 to 51,243 now.

> 601 150 kW+ chargers

With only 342 charge points difference, will Germany overtake France this month?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,979 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Ah lads, we can't compare to Germany either from a financial perspective or geography as we are poorer and land locked with no through traffic

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭cannco253

not comparing, just (jealously) admiring and hopefully planning a trip for next summer.

How many chargers were operational here at 31/12/20 vs 31/12/21 (ecars/EasyGo/Ionity/Tesla/any others).

What's the % increase been overall? anyone have the stats?

Does anyone know if a Kia ev6 has a bi directional battery ..that is can you use it's battery to run your house in the event of a power outage

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

The ev6 has a "car to load" feature, where it acts like a generator, so not connected to the house directly.

I'm presuming that it would push out DC current so if you had an invertor to convert it to ac you could run the house or certain items in a house Incase of a power outage

No it has a inbuilt 3.6kw inverter, so it outputs AC

Would 3.6kw power lights and tvs ...boil a kettle .

Yeah kettle is usually 2.5kw, tv and lights are only a couple of hundred.

Will be no issue there. Only issue is running the extension lead into the house.

• Advertisement

I've got some outdoor sockets on the wall outside the back door...not sure if there's a cable coming with the car for doing that ..

Advertisement