Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Mask or not to two - Mask Megathread cont.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,579 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

.Ah look a chap cant even be nice here without getting mocked 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Hiqa published their latest updates on masks today.

They advised against a population level recommendation for the use of respirators by those at higher risk but does not preclude their use at an individual level. 60 and older should wear disposable 'Medial Masks' instead of cloth.

Just keep washing those hands guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

That chap was here about a year ago, if you go back to say page 69, you'll find his posts. No need to mock him. He's done it himself.. Great reset is coming!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

It has been mentioned on the radio over the last few days that many of the cloth masks sold by various stores and pharmacies do not offer protection against covid.

The message was to get a medical grade mask, however no specific standard or model number was recommended. A search for medical.grade masks throws up many different types.

What standard of mask should be used to protect against covid and where can we buy these?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

N95 is as good as it gets reasonably

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,964 ✭✭✭kirving

No mask alone will offer total protection against Covid which is important to remember.

Any face covering will contain particulate or droplets to some extent, but some are much worse than others.

A builders mask with a valve is great at stopping incoming particles, but will spray the wearers breath everywhere.

The stretchy neoprene collars that some people wear are very thin and don't offer much filtration.

Disposable surgical masks are probably a pretty good compromise, as it's impractical to wear an ICU grade mask.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/FFP_standards

Ffp2s/ n95s or n94s should be the minimum standard .The difference in protection between them and normal blue surgical mask is substantial.

Germany have now made it a law that your mask has to be of that standard I think. And Taiwan, korea, japan adopted them early on and kept their numbers at a fraction of the rest of the word, and with no lockdowns or very little mitigation measures either.

They are a gamechanger.

Its been a massive failing of our government for not adopting them here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

The advice I have seen is N95/FFP2, or a surgical mask (there's a European standards code to check for) and then a cloth mask over it to improve fit. For a long time I wore two surgical masks. I have recently switched to FFP2. I work in close contact situations, I'm high risk myself (only back in work since last August after vaccination), and so far I haven't caught it despite working closely with several positive people.

Was under impression masks were to stop spreading of virus

Covid can enter through the eyes,which makes peoples laughing at plastic faceshield abit misinformed.....

Its particles are smaller than what masks can filter down to....but they do clearly slow down spread/catching of it,and do an seem obvious thing to use

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Aren't the masks more to stop you spreading droplets rather than blocking them getting to you?

• Advertisement

FFp2s protect the wearer, as do surgicals and cloth if worn properly, albeit by a much lower margin.

There is very little data and studies done on whether eye transmission is common besides an early chinese study which showed people who wore glasses were less likely to catch the virus.

From what I have seen in recent times the consensus among the scientific community is that eye transmission, like fomite transmission, is highly unlikely.

Airborne, specifically through the nose, seems to be the main route.

Tbf the studies/data on eye transmission is v.low on list of priorities for this pandemic....but scientifically speaking,theres no reason it wouldnt

The orginal claim by the anti-maskers werent entirely wrong in that covid on its own is smaller than what the masks filter down to....but research showed it attached to water droplets and was well.above limits then......

but i do still feel the.sneering at plastic facemasks is misguided and as ill informed as the anti-maskers distai of masks....my folks would use em in v.crowded areas at food shopping along with the facemask

Might be helpful to someone better qualified than me to give a synopsis ..but is from this year https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanmic/article/PIIS2666-5247(21)00040-9/fulltext

Yep. I think its reasonable to assume that face shields along with masks would give added protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Seanergy

Reading through the latest HIQA mask advice to NPHET.

Within Ireland, four of five respirators sampled failed to meet the EN 149 standard required for respirator masks in the EU and the remaining respirator failed to meet the formal compliance requirements of the PPE regulations.*

*Communication with a representative of the Competition and Consumer Protection Commission

PDF link below. pg 19/20.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

The German FFP mandate was introduced last January.

What I find of interest is a certain lack of effect on their upward trend,in spite of the higher standard of masking ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Just had a quick scan there. A lot of fluff and erroneous information imo. They're still using a grossly outdated 2020 hses study on medical masks in clinical settings as reference. Cormican sits on both hiqa and the expert advisory group btw surprise surprise.

I think Ill side with the korean and taiwanese medical professors opinion - whom encourage ffp2s kn94s etc - over these academic gombeens.

One section that did stand out was, if they endorsed them, the the onus would be on them to provide ffp2s for the vulnerable. They also raised the possibility of supply chains for healthcare possibly coming under strain if the masks were recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Not defending the government here but getting the population to wear any sort of mask was a simple and cheap way to slow the spread among the population as a whole even if such a mask offers little protection to the wearer.

You're correct though when you say that the better masks such as the commonly available N95s should be the minimum standard at this point. They're also cheap and protect the wearer and those around them to a much higher degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

It's absolutely criminal what they know about this virus but continue with last year's advice.

They know it is airborne. So N95 give better protection. This is what older people and vulnerable people should be wearing, yet I see very little of them being worn. I don't even see older people wearing the blue surgical masks.

Considering they allow visors and dopes to go around with their face masks under their nose and on their chin, they should be advising on those respirators for older and vulnerable people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭pottokblue

supply chains for surgicalmasks, FFP2, gloves, googles, gowns are stretched in my opinion

They haven't updated HACCP guidelines on when to wash your hands to include when you touch your face mask

I stood at a deli counter yesterday to have someone ask me what I want and at the same time pull his face mask over his nose. At least he knew his face mask slipped and I didn't have to ask him to cover his nose as well. I had to ask him to wash his hands and change his gloves after touching his face mask. He was put out by my request. And two more going around touching their face mask as well and customers weren't asking them to wash their hands and change gloves.

That is absolutely disgusting and how are food establishments getting away with not training their staff on this?

• Advertisement

I agree. People don't seem to know how little protection they have in a flimsy cloth or surgical, and how much more substantially protected they are in a ffp2.

Its is completely cold blooded by the hse to not recommend them for the elderly and hcw workers at the minimum.

Really? I haven't heard of any recent shortage globally. but that would go some way in explaining their current guidance.

Deli workers and even some poorly trained chefs seem to think gloves are magical .Even before covid, many of them would put on 1 pair for hours on end, - picking their nose, handling raw meat and then handling cooked food etc - thinking. 'its fine, I have gloves on!'

The touching of their flimsy mask that keeps falling down and then handling food is common too. Many of them aren't even HACAP trained. were u are supposed to wash your hands or change your gloves any time you touch your face.

Seen a recent picture of Michael Martin wearing a kn95 mask. He's well protected himself anyways. He's an absolute clown.

Riddled with fluff alright. The old 'confusion' chestnut. I recall that being used as a reason by HIQA's not to lower the masking age in children last spring.

Blantant misuse of information IMO. Children cannot get a 'proper fit' with N95's because N95's are not made in child sizes. Many other types of respirators are though.

Is Cormican not also the lead for the HSE procurement team? Still caught up in the 'intended single use' of respirators.

Having heard of numerous reports of the public being required to remove high grade masks to enter various HSE venues this is welcome news. Hopefully this will be extended across all places of HSE activity.

People has been asked to remove their N95s?

While they're at it, they should allow anyone who wants to wear N95s to wear them.

I'm only allowed to wear the blue surgical masks in work. Not allowed to wear N95s in work.

What kind of work you do? If you don't mind me asking.

In my work place we are being provided with ffp2 for last 16 years.

Personally I wouldn't be happy if someone dictates me what kind of PPE gear I can wear, while following minimum standards.

Work in manufacturing with rules and procedures for everything. So have to wear the blue masks. Yet, let's forget the rules and procedure on how to wear a face mask properly with people going around wearing face masks under the nose.

Oh and merry Christmas everyone, hope that big fat guy with white beard will treat you all well. Have a great time!!!

😁

Post edited by xhomelezz on

But what rule or procedure makes anyone to downgrade?

• Advertisement

This is just the rule in my place. Unless HSE comes out with saying ffp2 masks are ok to be worn, I have to follow work rules.

So still waiting on HSE to say something about ffp2 masks but that's not going to happen anytime soon.

But we might slowly get around to ffp2 mask wearing since yesterday's news that people won't be asked to change their masks while getting vaccinated or tested.

Advertisement