Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rose Of Tralee now accepting trans applicants (Threadbanned List in OP)

Options

Comments

And you can't point to potential competitors objecting. You just make anecdotal claims about people you know. Previously claimed you're not anti-trans but you really seem to have it in for them being included in any way.

No it doesn't.

Anybody can enter, there are no quotas. There are no spaces reserved for trans women.

There are no 'biological ' women excluded because trans women are allowed.

Do you really not understand that or are you deliberately acting stupid?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,789 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Many might not agree with it but ultimately people will just roll their eyes.

Just imagine if it was an Israeli Jewish Rose, there would be fireworks then.

How exactly are the entrants picked....always seemed kind of random mix of countries,US cities/states and counties iirc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

No need to involve me at all in your shìte CW.

Even I can’t muster up enough fcuks to give about a frickin’ festival trying to drag itself into the 21st century in order to try and squeeze the last bit of beggorah and bejaysis out of Irish paddywhackery 🙄

Or, perhaps a very tiny example of what is happening across society - both in terms of major (Olympic) and minor (Rose of Tralee) events - in which an injustice is being slowly exacted against biological women.

Nobody is arguing that the Rose of Tralee is the be all and end all; it's a waste of time no matter what you think.

But this problem of women's competitions overall being encroached in the same manner, is what's problematic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭Polar101

And the "main" change in the rules (as reported in the news) was that married woman are now allowed to enter, but that was only briefly mentioned in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,282 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Can they not just have their own shindig, without using an established event to try and score points, get attention, annoy people etc…the rose of Translee or whatever….

There's no injustice to women, where do you come up with this ??!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,976 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

What is, the decision of the old and white Committee of the Festival to come over all woke and throw open a lovely girls festival that shouldn't exist anymore anyway, to trans women?

This event only existed in the first place to try and get a slice of the tourism action that the far superior town of Killarney was laden down with. God knows, few would take themselves off to Tralee for its own sake.

The question is, I guess, where will it end? When can nothing exist any longer that has any sort of distinguishing feature, in this case humans born with vaginas under age 29. What if I'm 52, but I identify as only 28? Who will discount my eligibility and will they be vindicated?

Women's Rugby authorities have made a definitive, but all the same controversial, decision to exclude trans women from participation in the Women's game, due to the physical danger of mismatched physiques.

Will Girls' schools, nay boarding schools, be forced into similar action to defend the obvious, if some individual with a penis decides they wish to don a skirt and be admitted to that establishment on the grounds of full and unabashed equality?

Will only a clear and present danger to their physical wellbeing be enough to protect that which is, quite logically, the purview of women? Even if it is something as bloody awful as the Rose of Tralee?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

Not very current, it's over two years late!

What about that Game of Thrones final, anyone see that??

Eh that poster isn't setting out to kill it. You said the changes, which they are voluntarily making themselves, will kill it. If someone doesn't think anything of value will be lost, that's ok. They aren't obliged to care.

Who are they even being disrespectful to? You? The women? The organisers? The viewers? Do you think any of them feel like the victim of exceptionally intolerant behaviour?

Right. But the poster didn't campaign to end the Rose of Tralee. You're of the opinion that the change will kill it, and you're angry at someone for not caring, as if they're the one killing it.

Well I think that's why they call this 'culture wars'. Instead of just letting the 'outdated institution' carry on as it was they want to attack it. Either get it to conform to their new ideology or it gets destroyed. Either way its a win.

Don't fall off your.big high horse there pet.

it's called an opinion. I don't care if it goes, it's no loss in my opinion. It's not being attacked, not at all, neither is it being destroyed.

if it goes on, why shouldn't all women be allowed to enter?

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭rightmove

What people (I hate the competition) liked about it was it antiquated old fashion bell of the ball representation of life. Now that they genuflected at the alter of woke it will be more bells of the balls i expect. Pity everything has to be washed in woke.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,789 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

It's just the children of the boss class bringing their influence to bear.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,872 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

You mean like the self-professed feminists who suddenly grow silent whenever a trans-related topic comes up? Lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭bewareofthedog

they all have lovely bottoms

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Phenomenally disrespectful and exceptionally intolerant?

Why is it the smallest remarks are the ones that the actual intolerant get up in arms about yet a trans woman being referred to as a man is barely batted an eyelid.

Calm down with the dramatics. Some people don’t like it and wouldn’t miss it if it was gone. No need for the outrage.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,058 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

careful there ted, that might offend the girtles.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Rose of Tralee is first and foremost a promotional commercial venture for Ireland and in particular Kerry-it will survive only where the public and the advertising continue to support it. They’ve obviously done their research and for them this makes commercial sense.

I guess if you grew up with it over the last 40+ years and more, you’ll have a view on what a Rose should be, based simply on what you’ve been presented with to date- young (20s), easy on the eye, talented, good communicator, maybe ambitious or at least educated to a decent level, strong emotional intelligence. It’s really a PR gig completion - so if someone who is trans meets that type of criteria then I imagine we’ll see them in years to come on the show- I’d say there are trans out there throughout the world who feel they meet the Rose criteria, desperately researching their Irish lineage

On one hand I couldn’t care less- on the other, they’ll never lose the age limitation - why can’t grannies in the 70s be Roses? So they’re not as “progressive” as they’re making themselves out to be- they’re still ageist - but then again, I’m probably more in favour of leaving some things the hell alone

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭BingCrosbee

Cross dressers should be able enter too. Heavy set beer bellied lads with Grizzly Adams beards and hairy legs wearing stilettos. I can imagine Daithi asking such a contestant “ Have you a party piece”? I can fart on demand. Great, work away. And she lifts the leg and let’s off a bullwoegious ripper to a standing ovation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

They could lift Daithi over their head too like a power lifter.

And here we have it, the pinicle of comedy, another thread where we descend into 1970s sitcom tropes in order to bash trans people.

Of course everyone will be quick to deny that they are transphobic and that we mustn't upset the snowflakes etc but really it's just kinda dickish. I could get on board of there was something actually funny said but it's difficult when it's really just point and laugh at what's different.

I suppose no one actually trans would care as it's more telling on the perpetrators of such 'humour' than anyone and kinda invalidates any serious attempt to convince us that ye are just defending women's rights or whatever excuse you use to keep this going.

Post edited by km991148 on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Boo-Hoo, jokes are still allowed as far as I am aware.

The Rose of Tralee is a silly competition for silly people. Any trans person who wants to enter has every right but they should be open to ridicule just like any boring straight breeder who decides to enter.

If you put yourself in the public spotlight in such a way and you happen to be trans, why should you get special treatment and not be open to ridicule especially if you want to be treated as 'normal'?

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

You're telling these 'jokes' to disguise your true opinions.

All the jokes about the lads who dress up as women and the trans women with willies taking part in the Lovely Girls competition. Incredibly creative and must have required staying up all night to think about.

None of you would dare make a joke like that to a trans woman because you know full well how it would be received.

As for trans people being the subject of jokes - the competitors are usually the target of a mild joke about them being a nurse or a teacher or a farmer's daughter with a bit of land, not about something that many had to experience a lot of mental trauma while they try to figure out who they actually are.

If a 'normal' Rose told a story about mental trauma they had to go through when they were younger (whatever it is), the vast majority of people keep their mouths shut and it's not something that's joked about. The fact you think it's ok to mock trans women tells me everything about you and your lack of experience in the real world.

And before anyone cries about the 'snowflakes' - you have crowds of men in this thread getting outraged over the change of rules to a competition they don't even watch.

Advertisement